Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Dongattack posted:

Some kinda special music should kick in when you finally snap and grapple onto some annoying little poo poo and continuously drill it in the face.

Just steal the DOOM soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Speaking of the moonpool, am I missing something obvious, or is there way to access the inventory and upgrades of the prawn when it's docked?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ixjuvin posted:

Ah, didn't know you could get into that hatch if it wasn't docked. Cool!

I've heard fragments are more random now than they used to be, but if it's any help, I found all my moonpool fragments easy in the Sparse Reef wreckage.

Same.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Is there a trick to building configurations? I can't seem to get buildings to 'place' despite doing a really simplistic foundation and 2x2 rooms connected by tubes.

Like, I have 3 sides of the configuration
code:
O==O
||||
O==X
and the fourth room just stays red and won't let me place it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

The Bramble posted:

Speaking of the moonpool, am I missing something obvious, or is there way to access the inventory and upgrades of the prawn when it's docked?

I have the same bug, can't access them from the moonpool.
Works fine from the cyclops and when swiming however

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bhodi posted:

BTW, I'm pretty sure they intended you to use this one or another one near lifepod 2 (unlocked from building thermal plant or entering grand reef) which is right at the entrance to a giant, cyclops-friendly sized hole.

Sorry about not responding to the fix message, this is what you're looking for: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146898/made-a-tool-to-clean-cache-crash

Cleaning the cache isn't working for whatever is wrong with my save, but thanks. I'm hoping it's something fixed in a patch. I'm hesitant to start a new game either unless I can find out there's a bug with something I built or did so I can avoid it.

Dongattack posted:

Some kinda special music should kick in when you finally snap and grapple onto some annoying little poo poo and continuously drill it in the face.

:yeah:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 1, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://clips.twitch.tv/PlainIncredulousDaikonChocolateRain

Wow.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

That's an amazing URL.

Reminds me of the time when a reaper popped out of nowhere to kill me, but the death didn't fully trigger so I kept being thrashed around the surface of the water at 0 health while the reaper kept doing its thing until I quit and reloaded.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The map is the same every time, but how much is actually randomized in this game? Fragment locations and resource deposits would be my first guess, but is there more?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Comrade Koba posted:

The map is the same every time, but how much is actually randomized in this game? Fragment locations and resource deposits would be my first guess, but is there more?

I think it's only your starting location

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Jusupov posted:

I think it's only your starting location

Really? I was pretty sure that was always the same place.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Really? I was pretty sure that was always the same place.

It's always in the Safe Shallows biome but that's it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, that's the one thing that irks me a little about the game, it doesn't have all that much replayability.

On the other hand, the environment is much more interesting than it would have been had the map been procedurally generated.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Infinite replayability as a Fish Touching Simulator. Just load up creative and swim around enjoying the view and touching the fish. Really. Do it. Touch them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure randomised maps would help with replayability, honestly. You might not know where to go specifically to get such and such components, but you wouldn't be going to anywhere really new in search of them. It'd just take longer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did they change that super flat plateau near the cove tree? Or am I just a dope and can't find it any more? That was my favorite base spot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bhodi posted:

BTW, I'm pretty sure they intended you to use this one or another one near lifepod 2 (unlocked from building thermal plant or entering grand reef) which is right at the entrance to a giant, cyclops-friendly sized hole.

Sorry about not responding to the fix message, this is what you're looking for: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146898/made-a-tool-to-clean-cache-crash

Actually it looks like clearing the cache does work, it's just that the other guides I already read didn't say you had to resave and reload the game before the crashes stop. Upon reading your link again, it actually does state that and it seems to have worked. Thanks!

edit: it just crashed, it just took longer than before :negative:

I kept a backup pre-cleaning so I'll wait for the next game patch to try playing again I think.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Is there any entrance to the Lost River that DOESN'T have a jackass leviathan guarding it

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

Is there any entrance to the Lost River that DOESN'T have a jackass leviathan guarding it

I actually managed to shove my way down through the Reef entrance, eventually. The trick is climbing out of the sub and gliding around all the time to figure out where the gently caress you are and where the gently caress to go next.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cicadalek posted:

Sure, there are ones with multiple Warpers guarding them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

I went to the northern entrance a good three or four times before my first ghost leviathan swam out and scared the poo poo out of me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've just been driving past them, they aren't very dangerous.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's he standing on?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

What's he standing on?

One of the Aurora thrusters, you can see the other one briefly in the clip.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, if they start getting too close just cut your engines for a minute and wait until they go away.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

OwlFancier posted:

That's true. They are pretty easy to dodge, even for a scaredy person like me.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Spoiler that takes all the fun (?) and danger away from being attacked in the Cyclops: if you turn off your engines AND let go of the wheel all enemies are hardcoded to not do damage to you and will disengage after finishing their current attack (which will do no damage).

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Message recieved, I will install the Cyclops mod that makes a big middle finger pop out when a leviathan notices me

Some people on Reddit were complaining about time capsules because they gave out endgame items, to the point where one person was urging they should ONLY be allowed on a second playthrough. Personally I'm going to cram a bunch of ion cells in mine to spite them, recharging the cyclops is not exactly riveting gameplay (especially when I have yet to find the nuclear generator)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Those people are idiots.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Does the time capsule spawn in a specific location?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I thought it was moderated? What kinda endgame items are they letting through? If it's like Cyclops Depth Module Mk3's and poo poo, sure that's a bit gamebreaking. But Repulsion cannons or endgame fins, that's fine.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

20 hours in I am yet to see any of these capsules, so w/e.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

pokie posted:

20 hours in I am yet to see any of these capsules, so w/e.

I think I'm going to put a Mesmer egg in mine because they're really pretty and those eggs are a bitch and half to find.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cicadalek posted:

My Lifepod 2 entrance doesn't.

BECAUSE I GRAPPLED ONTO IT AND DRILLED IT TO DEATH. :black101:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I found most of my capsules in the cave near Keen's lifepod. Dunno how random they are in general.

Time capsules have to get to 10 votes on the submission website, and then a developer decides whether to add them to the game. I haven't heard of anyone getting depth upgrades, mostly I see like stillsuits and ion cells/batteries.

That's apparently too much for some people thoguh:

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/7tvyem/someone_needs_to_say_it_timecapsules_are_a_hot/

quote:

Moderate and reduce the items that can be attached to a TC. 2x2 should be enough. No Ion anything, no tools with ion power, no vehicle upgrades. I've seen players getting 18 Ion Power Cells before they even get a drat cyclops.

The horror! They might have to ....go back to base less! They might even be able to use sonar for more than 5 seconds!

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 2, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just put a Cuddlefish in mine.

One of the time capsules I found early on had a bunch of Seamoth and Prawn mods though, which was kinda nice, as it saved me some grinding.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nobody builds ion power anything until they are leaving the planet anyway, at least in a timecapsule they would see some play.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I put a full set of tools (repair tool, flashlight, laser cutter, etc.) into my time capsule. I hope they make someone's life easier :3:

On my second playthrough file (for the cheevos) I found one which had a stasis rifle and two ion cells.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think I found a time capsule and then lost it when I got blown up by a crashfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Do we have any idea what the modding scene for this game will look like yet? The first play through was awesome but I don't see myself playing much more now that I've seen and done the majority of stuff in the game.