Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Macaluso posted:

I looked through the patches, I guess they do both tuesday and thursday. I'd love to know what decides which day

Kaplan has a very serious, ceremonious coin flipping, in which no one is allowed to speak. It is lit by candles and everyone wears robes. And by everyone I mean just Kaplan. Everyone knows better than to question it or interrupt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you realize zen exists, who is a support that can consistently dish out as much more more damage than DPS characters?

In any event, she has super hard counters (mcree shooting her once in the body, once in the head, Dva eating orbs) and the only characters she really shuts down are wildly out of position heroes or genji and tracers who can't somehow out damage her.

Zen also has to know how to aim, doesn't have a stupid ability that can bounce around corners and shave off your health/potentially kill you without him even having to see you (sounds familiar), and has no good escape options. Not a really good comparison. Oh yeah he also can't heal himself.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if moira is so op I highly suggest you main her for a while and reap the sweet SRs and wins.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Constantine XI posted:

Zen also has to know how to aim, doesn't have a stupid ability that can bounce around corners and shave off your health/potentially kill you without him even having to see you (sounds familiar), and has no good escape options. Not a really good comparison. Oh yeah he also can't heal himself.
He can heal himself for most of his health by walking around a corner and waiting for a few seconds.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's this translocator throw on hanamura point A this one guy does I absolutely must learn even if I am bad at Sombra. Through the sniper perch and directly onto the upper level of the temple.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So glad next week is Year of the Dog so capture the flag can return. I hate how it almost never shows up in rotating arcade, yet Low Gravity is there every three days.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wonder if they intentionally hold off on arcade modes that are part of events when those events are about to go live

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Constantine XI posted:

Oh yeah he also can't heal himself.

He has 150 regenerating hp, you literally only need to hide for like 2 seconds to heal to full.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wonder if they intentionally hold off on arcade modes that are part of events when those events are about to go live

Possible. It popped up again in December maybe twice, which again stuff like Low Gravity and Single Dual appear like every four days.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
When does the blizzard world update end? Want to get the skins at the last second.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The skins from Blizzard World update are all in the normal pool of skins so come out of just regular loot boxes and the legendaries are only 1000 overbucks

Unless I am misunderstanding your question?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mister Fister posted:

When does the blizzard world update end? Want to get the skins at the last second.

The Blizzard World stuff is permanent

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

EMC posted:

The skins from Blizzard World update are all in the normal pool of skins so come out of just regular loot boxes and the legendaries are only 1000 overbucks

Unless I am misunderstanding your question?

Macaluso posted:

The Blizzard World stuff is permanent

Ah thanks guys. Guess i'll just play too much for random loot boxes then and cross my fingers :D

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Moira healing is fine except when you’re trying to heal a large pool tank by yourself and you both just stand there for 10 seconds while you spray whiz all over them.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Whether or not you have fun playing as Mercy is entirely subjective. Many people find her to be the most entertaining hero in the game. Your perception that she's a low skill hero is objectively wrong though, sorry. She's an easy hero to pick up, but there's a lot that separates a good Mercy from a bad one.

See that latter part I bolded? That is true of every single hero in the game. Some aren't as easy to pick up, but they all have things that a good player can better exploit than a bad player. Of course they do. That being said, there is absolutely no loving way that playing maximally as Mercy is as demanding skill-wise as Ana, Lucio, or even Zen. Mercy is easy. I'm not even making GBS threads on Mercy or Mercy players here, despite what it looks like--I just don't like that a character I find utterly unfun to play has heretofore been essentially required because she was simply too good to leave out, and I was more often than not the one expected to play her because I tend to play support. I like playing Zen (and Ana even though I'm horrible as her). I do not enjoy Mercy in the least, yet I was forced to play as her because nobody else on my team would go support. Now I can play Zen and pop heads with my balls and not get poo poo on for not playing Mercy.

resistentialism posted:

Not every hero has to be mechanically taxing, but mercy is too simple and too boring to be a tip-top-tier must-pick. IMO it's a real drag on a game with 6 player teams.

Bingo. Imagine being one of the best players in the entire world and you're stuck playing Mercy. Good god, that must be maddening.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

See that latter part I bolded? That is true of every single hero in the game. Some aren't as easy to pick up, but they all have things that a good player can better exploit than a bad player. Of course they do. That being said, there is absolutely no loving way that playing maximally as Mercy is as demanding skill-wise as Ana, Lucio, or even Zen. Mercy is easy. I'm not even making GBS threads on Mercy or Mercy players here, despite what it looks like--I just don't like that a character I find utterly unfun to play has heretofore been essentially required because she was simply too good to leave out, and I was more often than not the one expected to play her because I tend to play support. I like playing Zen (and Ana even though I'm horrible as her). I do not enjoy Mercy in the least, yet I was forced to play as her because nobody else on my team would go support. Now I can play Zen and pop heads with my balls and not get poo poo on for not playing Mercy.

Speaking as a dude who did TF2 scrims as medic, and now primarily plays Zen, this poo poo hits way too close to home.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I don't feel like Moira is overpowered, but she punishes low skill hard, in that if you can't hit her while she bounces around she's going to murder you, similar to Symmetra but with less damage and more healing.

She's also hard to heal effectively with because even after two dozen games or so I still have no idea what the range on the spray is (wiki says it's 15 meters but it feels more like 5) and you really can't waste any of it. There's also basically zero feedback for if you're healing anything.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Thoughtless posted:

I don't feel like Moira is overpowered, but she punishes low skill hard, in that if you can't hit her while she bounces around she's going to murder you, similar to Symmetra but with less damage and more healing.

She's also hard to heal effectively with because even after two dozen games or so I still have no idea what the range on the spray is (wiki says it's 15 meters but it feels more like 5) and you really can't waste any of it. There's also basically zero feedback for if you're healing anything.

Yeah, it would be nice if they had more of a shiny piss glow from at least her perspective. There is a faint sparkle, but you need to be close to see it,

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Shnag posted:

Yeah, it would be nice if they had more of a shiny piss glow from at least her perspective. There is a faint sparkle, but you need to be close to see it,

Really needs a clearer audio cue as well.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, record gargling noises from each of the voice actors. this is my fetish.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I was thinking of the soothing sound of rain piss on a tent my self. Also the characters can comment on how refreshing it is.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah, these are all very fair points and I understand where you're coming from. I guess I'm at the opposite end of this, where Overwatch is the first (and only) shooter I've played because Mercy made it accessible to me (and I found her primary gameplay mechanic to be fun); so now I'm in a weird spot where I have to figure out how I can keep playing this game while having fun.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Despite a lot of the vitriol, I think when you get past the high emotions, people don't necessarily want Mercy down in the dirt; they just want Mercy to be a viable option among other viable options.

For months, every other support has suffered because irrespective of their individual balance, they all carried the heavy opportunity cost of Not Being Mercy. If she finally comes down to the point where it feels okay to have her, and feels just as okay to have an Ana or Lucio instead, then that's the ideal.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, these are all very fair points and I understand where you're coming from. I guess I'm at the opposite end of this, where Overwatch is the first (and only) shooter I've played because Mercy made it accessible to me (and I found her primary gameplay mechanic to be fun); so now I'm in a weird spot where I have to figure out how I can keep playing this game while having fun.

Mercy is absolutely still a viable pick. She's just not a must-pick, which is a good change. The res change means you actually have to be smart about who and when you res. I'm glad for the nerf because it means I can go back to my first love, Mr Robomonk, and not get dumped on because "the Mercy main" isn't playing Mercy.

Speaking of Mercy changes, I vaguely recall something about having to face your target when resing - did that not make it in? I've found it super effective to start a res, spin around and fly to a far off teammate immediately after it completes. It seems to still work, which is great.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If this change makes Mercy worthless (it won't) they will absolutely buff her again. There is a future for Mercy mains.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Supercar Gautier posted:

want Mercy down in the dirt

:quagmire:

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, record gargling noises from each of the voice actors. this is my fetish.

Or R. Kelly song clips play softly when you hit. . .

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Clanpot Shake posted:

Mercy is absolutely still a viable pick. She's just not a must-pick, which is a good change. The res change means you actually have to be smart about who and when you res. I'm glad for the nerf because it means I can go back to my first love, Mr Robomonk, and not get dumped on because "the Mercy main" isn't playing Mercy.

Speaking of Mercy changes, I vaguely recall something about having to face your target when resing - did that not make it in? I've found it super effective to start a res, spin around and fly to a far off teammate immediately after it completes. It seems to still work, which is great.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that she isn't viable -- the changes just make her a lot more boring to play.

I'm going to work on playing as tanks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't see why the knee jerk reaction to this round of nerfs is "SHES WORTHLESS NOW" when all they did was change Valk a bit. Her ult was just cheese on the meat which is, "Best single target throughput heal, Best Mobility, and can pick up a pick once every thirty seconds." I mean, yea Mercy can't fly around in her ult like a really annoying fly that instantly undoes the last team fight, but she still has her AOE heal/damage buff which is still not inconsiderable. At the higher levels I believe you won't still see Lucio outside of the odd control point map and 3/4 tank lineups, you won't see Ana, and you won't see Moira outside of 3/4 tank lineups, but at least it won't be crushing if a support player wants to play any of the above instead of Mercy, if the opponents pick mercy.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 2, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I've ended up playing a good amount of Mercy because I'm the guy that can't just slam a 6th DPS with the rest of quickplay. I am fine with them toning down her abilities so that she isn't a must-pick or dominant in all games; I'd be much happier to see other supports played equally - and to have more choices when I'm stuck being the only support! But if they successfully bring her support kit in line with the rest of the lineup, I really wish they would give her something to do besides healing. All the other healers can do damage at the same time they are healing, and many of them get some interesting offense to play with (Lucio can boop people, Anna can sleep people, Moira can bounce orbs out of LOS, Zenyatta can charge his orb shot). Mercy basically just heals and boosts, and has to abandon all her support elements to actually shoot someone. I'd rather that they put her healing in line with the other supports and let her have access to simultaneous damage.

Please go ahead and kill resurrect in exchange.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mercy has always been the most boring character to play in the game regardless of where she's fit in the meta, by design

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cowcaster posted:

mercy has always been the most boring character to play in the game regardless of where she's fit in the meta, by design

Tooooooorbjoooooornnn.

Torb is who I play when I don’t want to play very hard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

And in that she has a valuable role for anyone who isn’t entrenched enough in the game to post in a thread like this

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Tooooooorbjoooooornnn.

Torb is who I play when I don’t want to play very hard.

get out from behind your turret and shoot some people with rivets lazybones

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bastion is probably more boring. Just sit in turret mode hoping someone didn't notice you and kill them....then die the moment someone counters you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah bastion's probably in second place there, but again mostly by design

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

get out from behind your turret and shoot some people with rivets lazybones

yeah this

if Torbjorn is boring to play then you're playing him wrong

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Rirse posted:

Bastion is probably more boring. Just sit in turret mode hoping someone didn't notice you and kill them....then die the moment someone counters you.

this is like 1000% the least fun and entirely wrong way of playing bastion ever

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
you should be straight team wiping the enemies as bastion at least once a game or you're doing a bunch of things wildly wrong

SHOOT N SCOOT, SHOOT N SCOOT, SHOOT N SCOOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you should be straight team wiping the enemies as bastion at least once a game or you're doing a bunch of things wildly wrong

SHOOT N SCOOT, SHOOT N SCOOT, SHOOT N SCOOT

Reminds me of my favorite game I played as Bastion. It was Volskya defense second point. There was a Rein on my team that knew what was up and he lead me around so I can get a few easy kills then retreat. Bastion and Rein/Orisa make a great team.