Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

zaurg posted:

Is anyone here buying the dip?

gently caress yeah, bud. I love dip. Way better for you than smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

It’s me, I’m the guy spamming hodl memes on Reddit while simultaneously liquidating my crypto position.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Alpha Mayo posted:

The arbitrage between US/Western exchanges and South Korea has narrowed from 10-12% to 5-6%, 3% if only looking at USDT exchanges. That is a sign that either arbitrage is easier to conduct now (it's not) or that western markets are being propped up more than ever.

It's neither of those. As part of the crackdown on anonymous transactions, SK blocked new accounts and deposits from existing accounts for the past 30 days, ending a couple of days ago. The spread narrowed because no new money came in for a month.

The spread narrowing 6-8% with no new money in the system *for a month* while withdrawals were still processed at will is actually kinda bullish, although when all of the other things that happened this month are tossed in there it doesn't make much difference.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

TVsVeryOwn posted:

gently caress yeah, bud. I love dip. Way better for you than smoking.

Baba ganoush and hummus are indeed much better than smoking.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Sabra is the source of the current dip.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fanatic posted:

Just lmao if we reach full circle and the thread title becomes accurate again

That would be amazing

If that happens it should be closed and goldmined and we can start a new one

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

That would be amazing

If that happens it should be closed and goldmined and we can start a new one

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

more like when than if

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

id prefer to hodl on to the thread we have

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Moridin920 posted:

If that happens it should be closed and cryptomined and we can start a new softfork

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wassbix posted:

I cut out the middleman and just burn my money in a bonfire

This is me investing in the blockchain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZydV39hb8

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

What are you going to do with all the status you're earning? I'm going to use it to offset the fact that I don't bother wearing pants any more.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
lol the guy at work was sweatin when his paper gains were cut in half like a month ago when this garbage was still worth like 14000

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sickening posted:

Its a meme from reddit. Its the philosophy that if you and everyone else holds and never sells, bitcoin can do nothing but gain value.

Its a saying for rubes who want to get left holding the bag. Its also a buzzword for bitcoin associated businesses and associates because hodlers are going to buy buy buy and you want them to be buying your funbucks.

It was a typo as well. That makes it funnier.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

abigserve posted:

lol the guy at work was sweatin when his paper gains were cut in half like a month ago when this garbage was still worth like 14000

Do you ask about his “positions”daily? You should.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

This is just gonna get him yelled at by hr though!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Zelder posted:

This is just gonna get him yelled at by hr though!

I don't see the negative side to this story yet.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
At least many Bitcoin supporters are smart and diversify their holdings across multiple coins.

Oh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Korea’s workers becoming bitcoin zombies

South Korea's unemployment woes are driving its younger workers to obsessing over virtual currencies.

Almost a third (31%) of South Korea’s workers have invested in bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.

According to a recent survey by South Korean job portal Saramin, respondents had invested an average of 5.66 million won (~S$7,000) in virtual currencies.

The survey – which involved almost 1,000 South Korean workers, most of whom were in their 20s to30s – also found that more than eight of out 10 of these investors had made money off of trading bitcoin.

More than half of respondents (54%) felt that cryptocurrency trading was “the fastest way to earn high profits”.

With South Korea’s graduates struggling to find jobs in a bleak economic landscape, many have turned to virtual currencies as an alternative pathway to assure their futures.

The country is now one of the hottest markets for cryptocurrencies, ranking third behind the US and Japan. It is also home to Bithumb, one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency trading exchange.

Bitcoin trading has become so ubiquitous in South Korea that the phrase “bitcoin zombie” is now commonly used to refer to people who constantly check the token’s price through day and night, whether at work or at play.

The cryptocurrency investment frenzy has become chaotic enough for even the country’s prime minister, Lee Nak-yeon, to weigh in. Last year, he warned that it could “lead to serious distortion or social pathological phenomena, if left unaddressed”.

The South Korean government recently implemented restrictions and measures to curb the intensity of speculative investments into bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies -- leading more than 200,000 people signed a petition protesting these measures.

http://www.hrmasia.com/content/korea-workers-becoming-bitcoin-zombies

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

that could be catastrophic :stare:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah dude the King of Bitcoin will address this in his upcoming 2018 state of the crypto address :confused:

needless to say the council of bishops is very concerned about the "super blue blood annual dip"

Well I guess that'll teach him not to listen to the gibbering nonsense of a cryptocurrency advocate.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spatial posted:

wow, that's going to be horrible.

what price point do you think people will start to sell their graphics cards?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

He's legit a good/nice/smart guy otherwise which is what makes it absolutely baffling to me

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Spatial posted:

I've brought up Albania before in this thread.

quote:

The pyramid scheme phenomenon in Albania is important because its scale relative to the size of the economy was unprecedented, and because the political and social consequences of the collapse of the pyramid schemes were profound. At their peak, the nominal value of the pyramid schemes' liabilities amounted to almost half of the country's GDP. Many Albanians—about two-thirds of the population—invested in them. When the schemes collapsed, there was uncontained rioting, the government fell, and the country descended into anarchy and a near civil war in which some 2,000 people were killed.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Just in time for the olympics.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/fundstrats-tom-lee-is-even-more-bullish-after-crash.html

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

At least many Bitcoin supporters are smart and diversify their holdings across multiple coins.

Oh.

BEET CONNEEEEECT

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Now seems like a good time to post this
https://www.instagram.com/bondi_bitcoin_brothers/

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

salt shakeup posted:

Now seems like a good time to post this

like the mario brothers except princess peach is replaced by a single US dollar and toad is the tether symbol

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

http://www.hrmasia.com/content/korea-workers-becoming-bitcoin-zombies
Almost a third (31%) of South Korea’s workers have invested in bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.

According to a recent survey by South Korean job portal Saramin, respondents had invested an average of 5.66 million won (~S$7,000) in virtual currencies.

The survey – which involved almost 1,000 South Korean workers, most of whom were in their 20s to30s – also found that more than eight of out 10 of these investors had made money off of trading bitcoin.

More than half of respondents (54%) felt that cryptocurrency trading was “the fastest way to earn high profits”.

With South Korea’s graduates struggling to find jobs in a bleak economic landscape, many have turned to virtual currencies as an alternative pathway to assure their futures.

The country is now one of the hottest markets for cryptocurrencies, ranking third behind the US and Japan. It is also home to Bithumb, one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency trading exchange.

Bitcoin trading has become so ubiquitous in South Korea that the phrase “bitcoin zombie” is now commonly used to refer to people who constantly check the token’s price through day and night, whether at work or at play.

The cryptocurrency investment frenzy has become chaotic enough for even the country’s prime minister, Lee Nak-yeon, to weigh in. Last year, he warned that it could “lead to serious distortion or social pathological phenomena, if left unaddressed”.

The South Korean government recently implemented restrictions and measures to curb the intensity of speculative investments into bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies -- leading more than 200,000 people signed a petition protesting these measures.
How cute would it be if things got bad enough after the collapse that North Koreans could make fun of the South Korean economy again?

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Thread title is almost true again. :rip:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

They own a combined total of 10 bitcoin so at the peak they had less than $100,000 in assets and currently have $43,000k. Wow, stop the presses, they are rolling in a below average net worth of a 30 year old.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Three Olives posted:

They own a combined total of 10 bitcoin so at the peak they had less than $100,000 in assets and currently have $43,000k. Wow, stop the presses, they are rolling in a below average net worth of a 30 year old.

Hey now good steroids are expensive

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Three Olives posted:

I bet they don't even own that car or are paying like $1,000 a month for it on a 100 month loan or something

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I bet they don't even own that car or are paying like $1,000 a month for it on a 100 month loan or something

20 bucks a photo.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm going to be at Bondi beach in 4 weeks I will find these bitcoin men

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm going to be at Bondi beach in 4 weeks I will find these bitcoin men

teabag the bitcoin men

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Cryptodream, we connect your brainwaves to our bio crypto miner that transfers digital currency to your phone while you sleep.

please only use 1 hour a night or else your brain may overheat

Edit - 8750 here we are

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Uranium looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

How is it okay to schill a ponzi scheme to children?