Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beJNXgrW-rc

Ralph Sepe Jr. talks about the CHIPS remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Spicy hot take: it's Extra Credits, so they're mostly on the nose but still missing the tree for the forest.
This is probably the best description for Extra Credits possible. They're not awful videos, but it always feels like they're just slightly off mark. Even years later the one that stands out most to me was their video about horror games where their like core idea they kept on about was that horror games weren't supposed to be fun. They talk about a lot of things that, in the context of playing a horror game, actually are fun. People like being thrilled, surprised and excited. Being scared is also fun when you engage it deliberately. But boiling it down to "This isn't like mario, so it's not Fun(tm)" just falls really flat to someone who actually consumes a lot of horror media.

corn in the bible posted:

The things that people mean when they say "Dark Souls" are, I think, slow deliberate combat and maneuverability.

Given that they compared Cuphead to it as well, I'm pretty sure they just mean it's hard and not immediately rewarding.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

The things that people mean when they say "Dark Souls" are, I think, slow deliberate combat and maneuverability.

if this is what people are talking about when they compare things to Dark Souls, then they're not even actually describing Dark Souls.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think when people compare something to Dark Souls they mean "the market is so saturated with samey poo poo that my choices for comparison that a wide audience would get are Bioware RPGs, FPSes, FIFA, and Dark Souls."

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

EVERYONE SHUT THE gently caress UP! NEW CONTRAPOINTS ON AUTOGYNOPHILIA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6czRFLs5JQo Awesome as always.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this video was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. I guess the name of the video itself made me think it be dull. But my initial assumptions were totally, 100% wrong. This was, first and foremost, a defense of transwomen against a bigoted crackpot masquerading as an intellectual. In brief, a transphobic, homophobic shitlord said transwomen are either: 1) gay men or, 2) straight men who like to dress up as women for sexual reasons. This is it, according to him and it is apparently a revoltingly popular idea.

The brief touch on the "feminine essence theory" did remind me that none of the Leftists I watch on YT are religious. They're all very clearly Atheists. Kinda frustrating at times but what can you do. It's not a big deal but as I'm reading up a lot on religion now, that part just kinda stuck out to me.

I really hope she doesn't get any poo poo for this. I don't believe in SJW's but there absolutely are people who think certain topics should never, ever be discussed. Hell, I used to be one of them before I realized this is a stupid, harmful and ultimately impossible notion. So to attack Contra who was being so open and honest and vulnerable would be the height of cruelty.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah. Honestly, COntra's little sit down on the couch inspires me to do something similar.

The biggest damage the theory does is it weaponizes the sexuality of trans women against us when sexuality is a big part of what makes a person., especially in their teen years. It creates this thing where Trans woman don't really talk about their sex lives with Cis people. Among other Trans people it's not really a problem, but I would NEVER describe my sex life with my cis friends.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

You really have to reach to get that from what anyone's saying. Have you thought about a career in games journalism?

But seriously, that's not what anyone's saying. At all. And what's really damaging to the perception of games being art? This constant cycle of hot take after hot take giving the impression that any uncomfortable subjects shouldn't be touched on.

I'm sure you could make a good article about hunting related to video games, and indeed Monster Hunter World could be a part of that. Anything from hunting's relationship to video games (which is kinda big and relevant to like, tons of games. Any RPG, for example), or the history of hunting simulations, or even something about the fecklessness with which, I dunno, Cabela's African Safari deals with the real-life impact of sport hunting on the wild. "Fantastical game where you hunt monsters reminds me of real-life sport hunting AND THIS IS BAD" is not a good take. Quite frankly, the main reason for that is because (going back to the relationship between hunting and video games) there are about a million games you could write this article about, and the end result is frankly a big reach for a baity hot take.

EDIT: Like, take another Journo favourite - Shadow of the Colossus. You could probably copy + paste that game into the article. Hell, it would be even closer to the point - hunting is a massive part of the game. Every colossus killed represents the successful hunting, killing and harvesting of the resources of a unique creature that is amongst the very last of their race in a world almost devoid of all life except for them. You could write that article. But it would miss the entire point of the game by about a thousand miles. The interchangeable nature of these takes and blatant search for clickbait kills them as articles.

What about an article talking about Monster Hunter and the author's vegetarianism?

I don't think it's wrong to talk about how you can have some sort of emotional connection or share some sort of life experience in relation with playing a game. However, (and I know I'm not the only one who's made this observation before) it isn't that the article in question is necessarily bad, but it feels like something that should be more suited to a blog post or presented as personal anecdote. Some times, they feel more along the lines of, "Hey here's the hot new video game that everybody's talking about. Now that I've brought it up, let's put it aside and talk about me!" The context or platform on which they deliver it is sort of what makes it questionable.

In the case of hunting in video games, hunting is not something I want to do in real-life, but is something that do enjoy in video games. I don't know if I could write a whole article about that. I think the reason why people were upset with the Forbes article is because it's the author expressing concern about the treatment of animals in A GAME CALLED MONSTER HUNTER.

a medical mystery posted:

I think it's a case of two different approaches converging in the search for a Satisfying Gameplay Experience. Monhun felt like an evolution of Phantasy Star Online and its approach to lobby-based multiplayer action RPGs, while Souls came from altering the King's Field/Shadow Tower formula to improve the pacing and allow better vision of your character's periphery with a third-person perspective.

Gaming outlets don't really make mention of King's Field or Shadow Tower, or at least not very frequently.

Apart from the gameplay differences Corn in the Bible mentioned, Hidetaka Miyazaki didn't really get involved with From Software until 2006, where he started as a director on Armored Core 4. I don't know that much about the From Software staff, and while there are some similarities between King's Field and Souls (the interconnected design and lack of loading screens in DS1 is pretty similar to the world design of King's Field 2 JP), I don't know how much of the staff from KF and Shadow Tower carried over to Souls, or what kind of influence they had.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

That was a very powerful video in many ways, especially the trial portion. A lot to unpack really - she really went into the argument against autogynephilia in a powerful way.

Sex 'n' that is something that I'll discuss a little if it happens to come up, depending on how comfortable I am with doing it (which usually takes a pretty long-rear end time of solid friendship whether you're cis or trans tbh) - for me I feel that doing so kinda helps with any odd perceptions folks may have when it's just...well, hardly special or anything.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I wonder if that hesitation towards discussing sex lives with other people is normal with cis people or if there really is this silent rule that Trans people don't talk about sex.

I remember when I still worked at Best Buy my supervisor made all the male employees come out with him to get drinks after work and they wen't around the table telling stories about sex and i was panicking because I was like 25-26 and still a virgin and didn't wanna be outed and one. So I ended up bullshitting some half truth about a really bad date I went on with a dude like a month earlier. It made me feel like this massive dork. Like, if you were still a virgin into your 20s then something was wrong with you.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 2, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am a cis straight and I find that a hostile work environment. I’d never ask a coworker about sex in any circumstance, on the job or off. I’d only talk about sex with good friends who I knew were comfortable with it, and I’d honestly never begin such a conversation.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

business hammocks posted:

I am a cis straight and I find that a hostile work environment. I’d never ask a coworker about sex in any circumstance, on the job or off. I’d only talk about sex with good friends who I knew were comfortable with it, and I’d honestly never begin such a conversation.

If you think that's nuts, wait till you get to the part where my boss laughs at me for ordering a glass of Jack Daniles on the rocks instead of beer. Because my drink just came in a small scotch glass instead of one of those tall, thin glasses with a beer label on the side.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

All depends really :) some are hesitant, some way less so. And no doubt loads of the cis people are bullshitting. The ones who boast often about how many relationships they've had or all the boys/girls they've had sex with usually just end up getting dismissed as fuckboys who are actually poo poo at relationships and dating but don't recognise it. Personally I seem to gravitate more to the folks who are candid/honest for whatever reason, as that seems to describe most of my closest friends.

BigRed0427 posted:

If you think that's nuts, wait till you get to the part where my boss laughs at me for ordering a glass of Jack Daniles on the rocks instead of beer. Because my drink just came in a small scotch glass instead of one of those tall, thin glasses with a beer label on the side.

Lol, sounds like a major loser. I mean, that's Lemmy's drink and he was the coolest person in the world.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 2, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That was an extremely personal and powerful video by Contrapoints. Highly recommended.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X5FDqHBN14

Wrestling with Wregret covers Vince Russo and Ring of Glory.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kim Justice posted:

Why are you misrepresenting the things I say and proclaiming that I am decreeing on high that these articles should be verboten? They're perfectly free to write these articles, and I'm perfectly free to complain about them. And think that there might just be some ulterior motive behind them such as a pursuit for clicks and what have you (How is that lovely? Like, you can't tell me that doesn't happen and keep a straight face. It happens. And no, I'm not stupid enough to think it's purely limited to takes like this. Hell, I'm likely not even going to blame the guy whose name and picture is on the article, because I know that such directions that are made in pursuit of clickbait often come from people higher up the chain who want those clicks).

I'm not gonna go after this too hard since you've already admitted to being a bit worked up about it, but that said, when you complain about a lack of editorial standards, wish for a completely different article written the way you'd want it to be written, and assume a thinkpiece is vapid clickbait...then yes, yes it does honestly make it sound like you have a problem with those kinds of articles. Also please keep in mind the same sort of pushback is happening to Austin Walker's article despite it having a completely benign headline and being 90% effusive praise for the game with 10% mild criticism of its implications rather than being explicitly about Monster Hunter's Very Problematic Colonialist Undertones. Perhaps it's on me for too closely conflating the articles and the reactions to them.

Ultimately, I read stuff like this:

Max Wilco posted:

However, (and I know I'm not the only one who's made this observation before) it isn't that the article in question is necessarily bad, but it feels like something that should be more suited to a blog post or presented as personal anecdote. Some times, they feel more along the lines of, "Hey here's the hot new video game that everybody's talking about. Now that I've brought it up, let's put it aside and talk about me!" The context or platform on which they deliver it is sort of what makes it questionable.

As an uncomfortably gatekeep-y stance at best, a horrible silencing tactic at worst. Disagree with a writer's opinion all you like, but I don't see how that naturally continues into "this opinion doesn't even belong here" and is seemingly based on vague gut feelings of what does and does not belong on a site. Also, what does "presented as personal anecdote" even mean on the internet? As opposed to what?

You can think The Red Strings Club stuff was a mess and the Forza article was out of left field (didn't read it) without putting harmless articles on blast. I feel like I'm only arguing about this because the Forbes MH article is such a bad example of what ya'll have a problem with beyond having a slightly bait-y title, so the disproportionate response just leaves me confused.

Max Wilco posted:

In the case of hunting in video games, hunting is not something I want to do in real-life, but is something that do enjoy in video games. I don't know if I could write a whole article about that. I think the reason why people were upset with the Forbes article is because it's the author expressing concern about the treatment of animals in A GAME CALLED MONSTER HUNTER.

A game called Monster Hunter where the monsters believably limp away when you stab them too much because you want to kill them and craft their parts into a new hat. Again, this is a reaction borne of how effectively the game presents this stuff. World has also been christened the First Accessible Monster Hunter, so you're going to see vivid reactions from people who haven't paid attention to the series until now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

John Murdoch posted:

Ultimately, I read stuff like this:

As an uncomfortably gatekeep-y stance at best, a horrible silencing tactic at worst. Disagree with a writer's opinion all you like, but I don't see how that naturally continues into "this opinion doesn't even belong here" and is seemingly based on vague gut feelings of what does and does not belong on a site. Also, what does "presented as personal anecdote" even mean on the internet? As opposed to what?

You can think The Red Strings Club stuff was a mess and the Forza article was out of left field (didn't read it) without putting harmless articles on blast. I feel like I'm only arguing about this because the Forbes MH article is such a bad example of what ya'll have a problem with beyond having a slightly bait-y title, so the disproportionate response just leaves me confused.
I didn't mean for it sound like gate-keeping or a silencing tactic. What I was trying to get at is that sometimes, the game isn't really a focal point of the article, and it seems like the topic matter the writer's covering would be more appropriate for another site or for something more personal like a blog if it were rewritten.

The Forza article struck me as the author as not really being interested in talking about the game, and moreso the political climate in Australia. If you want to do that, that's fine, but I feel like at that point, the game isn't even really relevant to what you want to talk about. There's a sentiment that a lot of people who write for gaming outlets aren't really happy with covering games, so it leads to articles where the author shrugs it off and talks about something else (like that Polygon Rock Band 4 article).

As far as what is and what isn't acceptable for a site, I can't really say. I'm not trying to argue that there should be a total divorce or segmentation of what should or shouldn't be in an article. It's just that sometime, it seems like some articles really miss the mark and writers are just using a game as a soapbox for something else (which if it were done literally, wouldn't be very effective :v:)

John Murdoch posted:

A game called Monster Hunter where the monsters believably limp away when you stab them too much because you want to kill them and craft their parts into a new hat. Again, this is a reaction borne of how effectively the game presents this stuff. World has also been christened the First Accessible Monster Hunter, so you're going to see vivid reactions from people who haven't paid attention to the series until now.

That makes sense.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I personally don't agree that it's a big issue but I absolutely see where someone who's sensitive to animal treatment and all would look at me beating some kinda electric flying squirrel ferret thing to death by bashing it in the face with my big hammer made of another animal's bones, even as it limps and staggers away trying to run to its nest because I want to turn its skin into a fancy hat for my cat and go 'yea, this isn't something I think is good'.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

I didn't mean for it sound like gate-keeping or a silencing tactic. What I was trying to get at is that sometimes, the game isn't really a focal point of the article, and it seems like the topic matter the writer's covering would be more appropriate for another site or for something more personal like a blog if it were rewritten.

The Forza article struck me as the author as not really being interested in talking about the game, and moreso the political climate in Australia. If you want to do that, that's fine, but I feel like at that point, the game isn't even really relevant to what you want to talk about. There's a sentiment that a lot of people who write for gaming outlets aren't really happy with covering games, so it leads to articles where the author shrugs it off and talks about something else (like that Polygon Rock Band 4 article).

As far as what is and what isn't acceptable for a site, I can't really say. I'm not trying to argue that there should be a total divorce or segmentation of what should or shouldn't be in an article. It's just that sometime, it seems like some articles really miss the mark and writers are just using a game as a soapbox for something else (which if it were done literally, wouldn't be very effective :v:)
I can totally agree with this. Object lesson in generalizations, I guess.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i don't know if Wrestling with Wregret gets posted here but 1) this is a goddamn hilarious subject for a video and I'm glad he did it, and 2) this man eats like a loving goon good lord :stonk:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i don't know if Wrestling with Wregret gets posted here but 1) this is a goddamn hilarious subject for a video and I'm glad he did it, and 2) this man eats like a loving goon good lord :stonk:

Testekill posted:

Wrestling with Wregret covers Vince Russo and Ring of Glory.

Sup

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Kyle did a video on Black Mirror and how it relates to the history of Sci-Fiction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr9_DcO6G3A
Love the gags describing the various authors of Science Fiction, especially Ellison (oh poo poo I called him a Sci-Fi author :rip: me) and Burroughs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Lindsay's Bright video got published, not sure if it was linked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOxQxMnEz8

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe 'Mexicans' don't get poo poo for the Alamo but what grinds my gears is no one is ever taught about the Spanish Tejanos who fought and died at that stupid, lovely mission out in the desert. Especially not the ride of Juan Seguine, hoofed his rear end from the Alamo to Sam Houston who, when told shits going down and everyone is gonna get slaughtered, didn't give a gently caress and he doesn't get poo poo for that. loving Texas, man.

BigRed0427 posted:

"Accessible refutation of a bunk theory." :hai:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 2, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is that Rap Critic doing that amazing mock Will Smith movie tie in rap?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

I was wondering the same thing, sure sounds like him

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I may have brain problems but I don't really get why she suddenly started describing her sex life in detail..

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Archer666 posted:

I may have brain problems but I don't really get why she suddenly started describing her sex life in detail..

It's been a day since I watched it so I may be fuzzy but I believe it had to do with giving a detailed first hand account of what, if any, role sexuality may have had in her transitioning to further argue the invalidity of a theory that puts sexuality at the forefront of transitioning.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Great look at the film, it's frustrating how easy it would be to fix. I mean, the whole lack of intelligent worldbuilding would take time, but....

OK, you make that ancient orc hero a barely remembered legend, say that he turned the magic of the dark lord against him and freed the land. Only orcs know that story, though, because all the other races don't believe it.

Then at the end, you let the orc cop grab the wand, because he was the descendant of that ancient hero, returned to seal away the blah blah blah.

Like, give the big hero moment to the oppressed underdog, that's storytelling 101.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sarcopenia posted:

MiddleOne posted:

I was wondering the same thing, sure sounds like him

Yes

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Archer666 posted:

Sex is essential to the typology that she’s rebutting. What’s not to get?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Archer666 posted:

Because a lot of people just won't trust what someone has to say without a bajillion intrusive details. It's not enough to say "my transness was involved in my sexuality, yes, but it wasn't the specific fetish described by autogynephilia theory." To an extent, it is helpful for a fairly vanilla cis person like me to have illustrated the difference between "unacknowledged gender stuff popping up in weird ways" and "a man has a fetish for being a woman" in the bedroom. (Not that I needed it to be convinced; I'd encountered a description of autogynephilia years before it became a Thing and it didn't really make a lot of sense even then, because of the whole "why bother taking it out of the bedroom and changing your entire life?" thing. But it's pretty helpful to understanding the psychological details in an identity I will never have.)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I get what you mean but from what I understand Waypoint's entire reason for being made was to create a platform where the sort of personal and emotional reactions to video games you describe have a place.

There are metric tons of review sites with a more dry and arm's-length approach, is it really bad to have one where blog-style sentimentality that's more personal and vulnerable even if it's still currently struggling to find its voice and making some missteps because of how scare the precedence is for their approach?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe if you crowdfunded an editor you could stop them from writing the articles you don't like and get back to real gamer issues

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm starting Lindsey's Bright video. I haven't seen the movie, but I kind of wish she took the "Max Landis is a sexual predator" angle rather than "weird how this movie has no screenwriter" approach.

Edit: Margaret Cho was in this? :(
Edit 2: And Kenneth Choi? :sigh:

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 2, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Landis has creeped me out to an unbelievable level since he pestered hbomb to be his friend on twitter with a platonic fedora m’lady approach—and that was before I found out he was a rapist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm starting Lindsey's Bright video. I haven't seen the movie, but I kind of wish she took the "Max Landis is a sexual predator" angle rather than "weird how this movie has no screenwriter" approach.

Edit: Margaret Cho was in this? :(
Edit 2: And Kenneth Choi? :sigh:

I think someone else did the same joke about Kevin Spacey while doing a video on Baby Driver recently. I respect not wanting to derail the video for 5 minutes to attempt to do a unique take on something that isn't really relevant to the thesis of the video and that has been discussed to death by others already.

Also, if we're going to get edgy, deaaaath of the aaaaaauthoooor~~~~~

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Before the rape stuff, my exposure to Max Landis was limited to his skirmishes with Red Letter Media, his whole "Rey is Mary Sue" thing, and his condescending criticisms of the whitewashing criticisms of Ghost in the Shell. He just seemed like an rear end in a top hat Hollywood bro who benefited from having a famous Daddy who killed people. So I was surprised how many people admitted to liking him after the rape stuff came out.

I never made any "video essay" for youtube, but I thought about making a making a video revisiting the whitewashing in the movie "21" for its 10th anniversary. And I would so be like "I knew Kevin Spacey was an rear end in a top hat!". I don't mean this as a criticism of Lindsey.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

His wrestling youtube video was pretty alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I never made any "video essay" for youtube, but I thought about making a making a video revisiting the whitewashing in the movie "21" for its 10th anniversary.

I really loved the book this was based on, where they got into much more fantastic type cheating scenarios instead of just basic rear end card counting. Like forcing an Ace by distracting the dealer at the right moment and memorizing exactly how many cards down the cut card would be.

• Locked thread