Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Willie Phoenix Jones? 🤔

That would be the greatest reveal in the history of Something Awful punch/hug sports. Like if Willie was a costumed vigilante who routinely beat up bike thiefs. The only thing greater would be to reveal that Yunz and Mechafunk is Dean Lister and Josh Barnett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I could beat up willie

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

vaginal facsimile posted:

I could beat up willie

Come prove it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

Come prove it

WADA already has.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’m gonna steal willie’s bike

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Come prove it

I’m gonna crush your head like a 🥜

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Great timing and placement:
https://i.imgur.com/FJ3ey8m.mp4
Top notch TKD.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Lately I've been struggling with whether to train if my body is sore, Ill train even if it is. I know the obvious, if you feel sore, take some time out from sparring. But then I get sore from drilling and doing warm ups as well if I leave the sparring out. How many days off do you guys take a week to recover? How much should I be sparring as a blue belt? I'd do it everytime I go in if I could, but I just cant find the energy to.

Heres my typical weekly schedule:

1. Monday BJJ Gi - 7am to 8:30 (sparring for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
2. Tuesday Judo - 11am to 12:30 (standup sparring 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
3. Wed No Gi - 7am to 8:30 (sparring for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
4. Thurs BJJ Gi - 11am to 12:30 ((sparring for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, and lately the whole class)
5. Fri BJJ Gi (Open Mat) - Drilling to very little sparring, more working on things.

Am I training too much??

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Sparring is where I get sore and hurt. Sometimes from drilling or warmups, if I haven't done them in awhile. But mostly sparring for me. I usually train 3x per week, Monday Wednesday, Friday. Monday is sparring day mostly, where we spar for 45 minutes. The rest of the week is drilling and warmups/cardio to stay on point. As always, YMMV.

Michael Transactions fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 31, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I try to train 5x+ a week. I just roll light if I'm feeling run down or drill at a slow pace. Just listen to your body, sometimes you need to just take a couple days off and relax

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I try to train 5x+ a week. I just roll light if I'm feeling run down or drill at a slow pace. Just listen to your body, sometimes you need to just take a couple days off and relax

Im still trying to figure out how far I can push it. I like training tired even though I end up tapping more. I notice that if my intensity is high, Im a little sharper but that comes at an expense: my energy for the week.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im still trying to figure out how far I can push it. I like training tired even though I end up tapping more. I notice that if my intensity is high, Im a little sharper but that comes at an expense: my energy for the week.

I like to pace out my rolls. Warm up roll, roll hard a couple times, help a new guy, roll hard, flow, roll hard, end class. Or something to that effect. I'll take a round off in the middle if I feel like it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Lately I've been struggling with whether to train if my body is sore, Ill train even if it is. I know the obvious, if you feel sore, take some time out from sparring. But then I get sore from drilling and doing warm ups as well if I leave the sparring out. How many days off do you guys take a week to recover? How much should I be sparring as a blue belt? I'd do it everytime I go in if I could, but I just cant find the energy to.

Heres my typical weekly schedule:

1. Monday BJJ Gi - 7am to 8:30 (sparring for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
2. Tuesday Judo - 11am to 12:30 (standup sparring 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
3. Wed No Gi - 7am to 8:30 (sparring for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
4. Thurs BJJ Gi - 11am to 12:30 ((sparring for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, and lately the whole class)
5. Fri BJJ Gi (Open Mat) - Drilling to very little sparring, more working on things.

Am I training too much??

How's your sleep and diet?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

How's your sleep and diet?

I usually get about 6 hours of sleep a night. Diet is somewhat ok. Ill be honest there are nights a grab a pizza and eat half the drat thing myself. It could totally be better.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I usually get about 6 hours of sleep a night. Diet is somewhat ok. Ill be honest there are nights a grab a pizza and eat half the drat thing myself. It could totally be better.

Taking any supplements?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Sleep is probably the bigger factor. 6 is not enough.
I find that BCAA supplements help with soreness and recovery. There's limited science to support this, though.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Taking any supplements?

Vitamins and Fish oil.

Sleep is probably the bigger factor. 6 is not enough.
I find that BCAA supplements help with soreness and recovery. There's limited science to support this, though.

I will def look into BCAA supplements.

And yeah 6 may not be enough. But I still feel sore and bit run down even if I get more than that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

And yeah 6 may not be enough. But I still feel sore and bit run down even if I get more than that.

One or 2 nights wont make any real difference..You have to consistently get 7+hrs.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Definitely add BCAA, ZMA, and Glucosamine to your supplement regiment if you can.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

You have to consistently get 7+hrs.

wisdom. This is especially true as you get older (30+)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Take fish oil and collagen. And some protein after a session.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm listening to the beginning of this podcast. Listen to Ep 47: Hentai Thieves by Let's Fight A Boss Podcast #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/letsfightaboss/ep47-hentai-thieves

Now I promise that the content is not bad the episode title is just meant to be funny.

But the situation the storyteller found himself in got me thinking if he did the right thing or not by giving up his seat. I know Sam Harris article says always avoid confrontation but this just seems crazy disrespectful. Any opinions?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

vaginal facsimile posted:

Take fish oil and collagen. And some protein after a session.

The fish oil def helps joints. Ive noticed a huge difference since taking them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

just seems crazy disrespectful

what is not being merely disrespected worth to you?

PS. what area are you in? Some folks might be able to recommend gyms.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

what is not being merely disrespected worth to you?

PS. what area are you in? Some folks might be able to recommend gyms.

Portland. And yeah I was curious to what you people think about the three minute story he tells.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm angry I wasted minutes of my life listening to that story. So please let me save everyone else the trouble.

Give up your seat if the girls show up, if they girls don't show up don't move. Getting into a fight with two people over a seat of a train is stupid.

There's a Renzo Gracie and 10th Planet gym in Portland, I think Nathan Orchard runs the 10th Planet one. Worth visiting both.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

JaySB posted:

I'm angry I wasted minutes of my life listening to that story. So please let me save everyone else the trouble.

Give up your seat if the girls show up, if they girls don't show up don't move. Getting into a fight with two people over a seat of a train is stupid.

There's a Renzo Gracie and 10th Planet gym in Portland, I think Nathan Orchard runs the 10th Planet one. Worth visiting both.

Thank you.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm listening to the beginning of this podcast. Listen to Ep 47: Hentai Thieves by Let's Fight A Boss Podcast #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/letsfightaboss/ep47-hentai-thieves

Now some may disagree with me here but I like to think I'm a fairly decent wind up merchant in this thread, but this is ridiculous. Go to a BJJ class a good 10-20 times at one of the respected gyms meantioned and report back.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Portland. And yeah I was curious to what you people think about the three minute story he tells.
Check out Renzo Gracie Portland. My friend Aaron Milam runs it and Aaron is a jiu jitsu wizard. Aaron is also a super chill dude.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Sorry if I've been annoying.

I feel that you don't like me that much now. :(

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Combat is only really healthy as a sport. If you're living a dangerous and violent life then pajama grapples aren't the fix for it. You ask weird questions but I don't think you're the inevitable unironic willie d. Just go try it out and see if it fits for you. The good stuff like confidence and health will come naturally.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Also the bad stuff like turf toe and bloody knees will come naturally but whatever man

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel that you don't like me that much now. :(

I think people are worried you're not asking in good faith.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I think people are worried you're not asking in good faith.

I just want to gain confidence and have a fun hobby where I meet friends.

I don't want to walk around town beating up people constantly like in Hotoku no Ken.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BJJ is perfect then, but.... there's a lot more Japanese terms in judo.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Just go train a bit. At this point you've got enough information you can show up to a class or five and know if it's for you or not.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Ok. I still want to do Muey Thai cause I think it will be more fun. But I'll at least try that BJJ place first.

Odddzy posted:

Just go train a bit. At this point you've got enough information you can show up to a class or five and know if it's for you or not.

Yeah I will. Thanks.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Muay thai is very rad

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I, for one, welcome the new American Willie dee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

kimbo305 posted:

He can always be that guy who uses the judo terms for BJJ moves.