Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Magil Zeal posted:

It's an interesting benefit, but I'm dubious about giving up an ascension perk slot to get that benefit. Generally I'm not scared of AI empires scavenging my tech.
I imagine wars will be less one sided and conclusive in the new system, and even a devastated opponent may be able to field an irritating fleet in a later, possibly multi-sided war. This is drastically different from now, since you couldn't care less what tech they scavenge - if you've whalloped someone hard enough, theyre just not a meaningful threat anymore.

Also, tech is more important now than it used to be, so there's that.

The biggest problem imo is that on higher difficulties the ai will just tend to have more tech in general, especially considering advanced starts.

Tech-focused AI personalities may be predisposed to take the perk, though. It'll be pretty noticable then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Loel posted:

Oh hey Ive played for an hour and a half :v: Neat little game so far.

You don't need to build extra construction ships that early. Your starting ship will handle all of your needs for the first planet or two you colonize. Starting with extra science ships is a pro move though, get out there and find the good planets to colonize, and find the unique features. My current game I managed to snipe a cluster of systems that all have 10-15 minerals in them, because I had extra science ships out exploring early and finding the good stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magil Zeal posted:

It's an interesting benefit, but I'm dubious about giving up an ascension perk slot to get that benefit. Generally I'm not scared of AI empires scavenging my tech.
It's also got the extra scanner range, which sounds like a drat good early game grab.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Splicer posted:

It's also got the extra scanner range, which sounds like a drat good early game grab.

Extra sensor range is nice, but again, ascension-perk worthy? I prefer things with more concrete benefits.

Of course it depends on how much extra sensor range you're getting. Need to see how it plays out before making any final decisions, obviously, that's just a first impression.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It's an interesting example of a perk that will be totally useless at higher difficulty levels. I'd give it the ability to conceal your ships by an extra system to make it more meaningful, but I don't know whether the game can handle that sort of thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magil Zeal posted:

Extra sensor range is nice, but again, ascension-perk worthy? I prefer things with more concrete benefits.

Of course it depends on how much extra sensor range you're getting. Need to see how it plays out before making any final decisions, obviously, that's just a first impression.
Remember that sensor range is based on hyperlane jumps now so +1 lane view is the minimum. Also only science ships can enter unexplored systems so targeting your exploration is a bigger deal.

That said, a bonus to drawing/researching rare techs would be useful and thematic.

PRAISE THE SUN
Feb 1, 2018
Oh cool, we'll be able to play as the Zuul in Stellaris now.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't really have a clear picture of how fighting is going to play out in a larger scale border war, it might be good to have if you're winning against superior numbers due to tech provided wars are spread out enough that the AI will have a decent chance at salvaging your stuff

my gut tells me I'll never take it unless I'm doing a gimmick

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Forums are being all wonky this morning but have come back just in time for today's diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-103-civic-ascension-perks-changes-and-additions.1067730/

Some very powerful late game stuff coming in 2.0 along with making your decisions more distinct.

More importantly, they revealed the identity of those assholes who exploded Earth!

You're on notice, Havoll Star Hunters!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

It might be more interesting if the game had a sword of the stars style thing where not everyone gets every tech.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Does anyone know what, if any, changes there have been to the 'AI Personalities' since launch?

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/AI_personalities

I make all of my 'custom' empires around existing Sci Fi properties for fun and flavor. Until the point the game introduces a little bit more canon into the game, the totally random turds I am fighting just don't have as much draw as France or the Duchy of Bohemia, the historicity of the other Grand Strategy games is Paradox's biggest asset in my opinion.

So I try and match my custom empires up with the AI personality that I think they would best exhibit. For example, Honorbound Warriors would match up with the Klingon Empire, the Krogans, or the Free Jaffa, whereas Hegemonic Imperialists would be more appropriate for the Romulan Star Empire, the Turians, or the Centauri Republic.

Will Paradox be introducing more AI personalities, have they already added more since launch, or are there any major changes on the horizon as it relates to AI Personalities?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It doesn't immediately jump out as a glamorous perk, but I can see the potential utility. Plus if it does turn out to be underpowered, the trivially obvious buff is to boost your own tech scavenging so you can get larger percentages at once.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Life-Seeded seems like a pretty neat Civic, especially with the production bonuses to Gaian worlds. I guess if you're using it you'd want to either go whole hog on robots or terraforming. Lots of vassals might also work.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

HardDiskD posted:

Nope.

On a related note, in the game I was playing as a machine empire the whole galaxy joined up in one federation (except the spiritualist awakened empire) to beat back the contingency, with my plantoid robot fleet leading the federation fleets.

It felt like the Mass Effect 3 ending but better.

I actually tried that! I'm the friendly caretaker robots, but was stuck at -6 opinion to get people to join my Federation. Giving 10k energy, free research agreement, free strategic resources, and everything I could think of sans planets got me...+0 to join. Oh well, took Galactic Defender gonna own these uh either 2.5x or 5x difficulty Contingency folks. Maybe.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nihilistic Acquisition is going to be a mandatory perk for my Rogue Servitors.

They should add some benefit for # of unique bio-trophies. Travel around the galaxy hunting for rare mammals and bird-men.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Magil Zeal posted:

In my Rogue Servitor run this was actually absurdly annoying, which was kind of my intent since I made all the AI Empires myself. The galaxy confederated into three blocs, those being robot empire, egalitarian/materialists federation and spiritualists. Because I was rogue servitors the egalitarians hated me, so their materialist allies hated me, and the spiritualists were spiritualists. Then I triggered an event that made every other empire take a -100 rep penalty for me, which resulted in a century of hell war between my empire, the rest of the galaxy, and the crises event that I started. When the fighting started I had ridiculously out teched every other empire and was on par with the two spiritualist FE's, and by the time it ended the rest of the galaxy had caught up to me despite having been in a state of almost total collapse for decades. I lost a lot of ships over the course of the war, which presumably was the only way that the AI was able to keep up with me in terms of technology. My own vassals/protectorates were way behind in technology despite having research benefits with me, and I think it's because they hadn't been able to research my battle wreckage as much.

Grevlek posted:

Does anyone know what, if any, changes there have been to the 'AI Personalities' since launch?

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/AI_personalities

I make all of my 'custom' empires around existing Sci Fi properties for fun and flavor. Until the point the game introduces a little bit more canon into the game, the totally random turds I am fighting just don't have as much draw as France or the Duchy of Bohemia, the historicity of the other Grand Strategy games is Paradox's biggest asset in my opinion.

So I try and match my custom empires up with the AI personality that I think they would best exhibit. For example, Honorbound Warriors would match up with the Klingon Empire, the Krogans, or the Free Jaffa, whereas Hegemonic Imperialists would be more appropriate for the Romulan Star Empire, the Turians, or the Centauri Republic.

Will Paradox be introducing more AI personalities, have they already added more since launch, or are there any major changes on the horizon as it relates to AI Personalities?

IIRC you can make your own custom AI personalities without too much trouble with just a text editor. That is one thing that would probably work in a Stellaris mod tool.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nihilistic Acquisition is going to be a mandatory perk for my Rogue Servitors.

:same: Why focus on pampering one type of bio trophy, when you can have a variety of them!

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Hopefully after this next update the devs focus on making the universe a little more dynamic and alive. The universe is a little stale as it stands.

I'd like to see much deeper trade between empires, the ability to sponsor slave uprisings and breakaway empires, and maybe some galactic crime syndicates or something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

appropriatemetaphor posted:

They should add some benefit for # of unique bio-trophies. Travel around the galaxy hunting for rare mammals and bird-men.

I would like this. At the very least it could be a diplomacy bonus.

Pampering our People +5

Abducted our People -20

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How is Rogue Servitor for generating crazy amounts of unity? Do you just cruise through trees?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love something like an underground railroad for egalitarian civs to help slaves escape. We already have the refugee system, could just expand it to allow you to pick a target civ that has slaves, pay some upkeep, and give their slave pops a chance to move.

Of course how do you defend against that? Increase internal security spending? Would need to be part of an espionage system of some sort. Although barring that could make it so egalitarians cold plop a fleet in orbit of a hostile slave-having empire and have some sort of "slave emancipation" bombardment stance that rescues slave pops?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

How is Rogue Servitor for generating crazy amounts of unity? Do you just cruise through trees?

Yeah, especially with the Organic Utopia upgrade, they all generate 4 unity I think at that point?

Of course in the current state you just unlock everything then sit there piling up unity, probably will be real buff when 2.0 comes out and you can spend your billion unity points on stuff.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love something like an underground railroad for egalitarian civs to help slaves escape. We already have the refugee system, could just expand it to allow you to pick a target civ that has slaves, pay some upkeep, and give their slave pops a chance to move.

Of course how do you defend against that? Increase internal security spending? Would need to be part of an espionage system of some sort. Although barring that could make it so egalitarians cold plop a fleet in orbit of a hostile slave-having empire and have some sort of "slave emancipation" bombardment stance that rescues slave pops?

There already is an underground railroad event that starts when slave unrest in your own empire hits a certain threshold.

Edit: i think thats even exactly what its called. Its been a while since Ive got it though, I almost never use slavery.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Been having a weird bug. My leaders randomly leave their science ships. Like I'll find a few ships that are supposed to be assisting research, and they're empty.

Then I go into the leaders view, and sure enough have a load of available scientists.

This is robots empire if that has something to do with it. Are they just getting tired of assisting research for 100 years?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Splicer posted:

So with a Dyson you'd pay the 10K for the site, then another 240K in a continuous drain. Cap it at a max of 250 a month so it still takes a minimum of 80 years from start to finish, with Master Builders doubling the amount you can dump per month. Keep the current tiers but have them kick in automatically when they reach the relevant stages of completion. Events could fire that give you construction bonus mineral dumps that get spent one for one with production, like how research rewards work.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like the idea of having a megastructure "tax" so that you aren't sitting around until you get 50,000 minerals, but instead get to watch them slowly build over time.
Same. Wiz, please do the needful.

Demiurge4 posted:

Mega structures need to be part of an event chain where you find ruined pieces or laboratories where they are developed so that they aren't just an endgame victory lap. I'd love to have ringworld constructs early that aren't as good as the real thing (various debuffs, lower size) and probably a good bit more options.

Some mods add asteroid habitats and an option to reactivate abandoned habitats with wildly different tiles as a reward for doing quests would be nice.
Seems to me this would discourage building megastructures until you stumble across the events to built proper versions.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

GotLag posted:

Seems to me this would discourage building megastructures until you stumble across the events to built proper versions.

Maybe have the stumbling as an option, but I wouldn't want to be gated out of proper megastructures without lifting them from somebody's lab-tomb.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Second game:

Used corvettes to find 4+ xeno empires within the first ten years. Saved up minerals to set up colony pods, but when I got them in orbit turns out I needed influence :v: Consoled them so I could learn the mechanic, then set up a couple more colony pods and outposts. Tried setting them up near the border of the nearest xenos (ten stars away to the west and south), began filling in the details. Did all the tutorial quests (build fleet, build income).

Got some factions saying we should go to war, so I build a few more cruisers with upgraded engines and gathered them all in one spot. Killed some 500 strength pirates on the way, repaired. Declared war on the empire to the south, zerg rushed and killed an outpost and mining orbitals. Couldn't figure out to land troops, so bypassed a low level colony. All told, my corvettes were 500-600 power or so, and I figured I was pretty good. Went looking for the next xeno planet, but it said I didn't have a route there for some reason.

Then a pirate fleet attacked my western flank with strength 1000, and the southern xeno began hitting my southern orbitals with a similar size fleet. Not sure how they bypassed by fleet when I couldn't connect to their remaining systems. Either way, I think its funny I was losing even when I was cheating the opening like crazy :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Oh my loving god. The nomad's spawned in my game (rare as it is) and then asked to settle in a system...A system at the fringe of my borders that i've skipped over due to the spectral wraiths spawning there. :stare:

They're sitting on 3 size 25 planets and have no idea of the terrible apocalypse that is coming.

The only saving grace for these poor bastards having their entire species go extinct in another 5 years at most is that I gave them the opportunity to migrate out, let them be a protectorate, and am running an extremely modded game to make the game more interesting and have far more feature depth. The latter of which means I can maybe pump my fleet up from a 6K strength fleet to something that will at least stall the wraiths until they decide to fall back to a new system.

Also the pirate mod that lets pirates spawn from empires periodically and set up little free havens to raid places is great. It actually promotes building up sensors so you can scout out their ports quickly once they start raiding. Never mind maybe picking up a mod that lets you build system defense forces outside of your control. Which encourages even more investment and strategy for AI and player empires beyond "Build the biggest fleet and smash them together."

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 1, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Loel posted:

Second game:

Used corvettes to find 4+ xeno empires within the first ten years. Saved up minerals to set up colony pods, but when I got them in orbit turns out I needed influence :v: Consoled them so I could learn the mechanic, then set up a couple more colony pods and outposts. Tried setting them up near the border of the nearest xenos (ten stars away to the west and south), began filling in the details. Did all the tutorial quests (build fleet, build income).

Got some factions saying we should go to war, so I build a few more cruisers with upgraded engines and gathered them all in one spot. Killed some 500 strength pirates on the way, repaired. Declared war on the empire to the south, zerg rushed and killed an outpost and mining orbitals. Couldn't figure out to land troops, so bypassed a low level colony. All told, my corvettes were 500-600 power or so, and I figured I was pretty good. Went looking for the next xeno planet, but it said I didn't have a route there for some reason.

Then a pirate fleet attacked my western flank with strength 1000, and the southern xeno began hitting my southern orbitals with a similar size fleet. Not sure how they bypassed by fleet when I couldn't connect to their remaining systems. Either way, I think its funny I was losing even when I was cheating the opening like crazy :v:

Just as a general rule, you rarely want to settle a planet that isn't within a few jumps (assuming hyperlanes) of your existing territory. Same for placing frontier outposts.

Look at the size of your opening territory bubble. You want to place your further settlements so that its equal-sized bubble will be just barely touching your existing borders. Closer is also fine. Frontier outposts rarely want to be closer than that, but settlements are cool.

The influence costs of settling or constructing outposts further away that are prohibitive and rise very, very quickly.

Frankly, the game guarantees that you'll have 2-3 nearby planets (either inside or just outside your starting territory). These are usually your first colonization targets unless they're tiny (under 15 size) or you find a truly amazing planet a bit further away.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Been having a weird bug. My leaders randomly leave their science ships. Like I'll find a few ships that are supposed to be assisting research, and they're empty.

Then I go into the leaders view, and sure enough have a load of available scientists.

This is robots empire if that has something to do with it. Are they just getting tired of assisting research for 100 years?

Are you a democracy? They might be getting elected as ruler, and then returning the pool when another scientist gets elected.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Frankly, the game guarantees that you'll have 2-3 nearby planets (either inside or just outside your starting territory). These are usually your first colonization targets unless they're tiny (under 15 size) or you find a truly amazing planet a bit further away.

This is one of my peeves with the game actually, namely that so much depends on the size of those two planets that start right next to you. If they are size 24? Amazing! A size 12 and a size 13? Well... that is going to massively gently caress you over mid game. Right type planets are pretty are.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I just do a quick check of the systems immediately near me at the beginning of a game. If they suck or the map generator stuck me right next to another empire I quit and reroll.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Demiurge4 posted:

Mega structures need to be part of an event chain where you find ruined pieces or laboratories where they are developed so that they aren't just an endgame victory lap. I'd love to have ringworld constructs early that aren't as good as the real thing (various debuffs, lower size) and probably a good bit more options.

This is already a thing that has been in the game since Utopia?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

ConfusedUs posted:

Just as a general rule, you rarely want to settle a planet that isn't within a few jumps (assuming hyperlanes) of your existing territory. Same for placing frontier outposts.

Look at the size of your opening territory bubble. You want to place your further settlements so that its equal-sized bubble will be just barely touching your existing borders. Closer is also fine. Frontier outposts rarely want to be closer than that, but settlements are cool.

The influence costs of settling or constructing outposts further away that are prohibitive and rise very, very quickly.

By year 10, how many planets / outposts / constructors / science vessels is a comfortable opening?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Loel posted:

By year 10, how many planets / outposts / constructors / science vessels is a comfortable opening?

The AI will attempt to colonize a new planet every 5 years at the beginning of the game, you may want to keep up. Outposts very much depends on what juicy colonization candidates or systems rich in resources are nearby, try not to go under +1 or even +2 influence if you can help it. Constructors you'll be fine with the one you start out with for a very long time and I'm usually running 2 or 3 science vessels by 10 years in unless something goes very wrong.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There is not a hard number, but the answer is “not many”

If you have a construction ship idle, you don’t need it (minimum 1). And 2-3 science ships exploring is entirely enough.

Probably one colony at that point. Maybe two.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Are you a democracy? They might be getting elected as ruler, and then returning the pool when another scientist gets elected.

Nope playing as the wall-e robots.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Loel posted:

I'll usually have two science ships and one constructor because scanning stuff is great but I don't usually have enough minerals to keep more than one constructor busy at all times if I'm colonizing properly.

for planets and outposts the boring answer is that it really depends - as others have said if you get small and bad planets near your start just start a new game or prepare to suffer. don't be afraid to claim systems with good planets with an outpost that you then scrap once your colony is settled.

also unless you are a lot stronger than whoever you're fighting - don't start fights early on. war is more expensive the more equal in strength you are and I'd rather expand than fight with my resources early on and besides there'll be plenty of fighting eventually.

my current friendly robots game went completely off the rails, almost everyone was getting along because they all wanted to be my friend because I had a huge fleet, high tech and a restored dyson sphere so I could bribe everyone at all times. then war in heaven started and now I have a 500k fleet about to mess me poo poo up :(

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So, third try :D

Went with mandatory hyperspace lanes cuz they make sense to my Space Empires III brain. Also switched out Shadow Council / Xenophobic for Parliament / Xenophiliac, and reduced hostility of xeno to as low as possible. Its a big love fest, and my factions just want everyone to hug.

I split 3 corvettes to explore half the map, and set up four outposts at all the chokepoints into my spiral of the galaxy. Spawning a colony pod or private colony pod every four years or so, and I've split off my first sector. Got two constructors and two science vessels finishing off all the territory inside the chokepoints.

So, I guess I'm in the early mid-game. What do I do with factions? Is there a way to optimize sectors? What should I be trading for with the xeno regimes near me? Goal is to build a federation eventually.

Also, whats the deal with pirates? I've been throwing minerals at a fleet whenever I had a spare moment, and I'm at about 500 combat power (coilguns II), but this pirate base near by border is like 1500. What do I need to do to knock them down? Get destroyers?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Loel posted:

So, third try :D

Went with mandatory hyperspace lanes cuz they make sense to my Space Empires III brain. Also switched out Shadow Council / Xenophobic for Parliament / Xenophiliac, and reduced hostility of xeno to as low as possible. Its a big love fest, and my factions just want everyone to hug.

I split 3 corvettes to explore half the map, and set up four outposts at all the chokepoints into my spiral of the galaxy. Spawning a colony pod or private colony pod every four years or so, and I've split off my first sector. Got two constructors and two science vessels finishing off all the territory inside the chokepoints.

So, I guess I'm in the early mid-game. What do I do with factions? Is there a way to optimize sectors? What should I be trading for with the xeno regimes near me? Goal is to build a federation eventually.

Also, whats the deal with pirates? I've been throwing minerals at a fleet whenever I had a spare moment, and I'm at about 500 combat power (coilguns II), but this pirate base near by border is like 1500. What do I need to do to knock them down? Get destroyers?

Just keep building poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I wish there was a mod that added more AI personalities that didn't fill half of the galaxy with incredibly stupid joke empires based on some overly specific gimmick.

• Locked thread