Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
hiveswap was not great imo

lots of the writing felt like "remember this thing? joey has this thing!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

AriadneThread posted:

that sounds exciting
hope your doing better now, posting friend

Mostly better. I suffered no actual eye damage but I'm getting help for the anxiety. Still a little light-sensitive though, I do most of my posting on a kindle I turned into a laptop monitor.

Makes Homestuck look pretty funky for sure. It's tough to tell what's going on in black and white with no animations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

kurona_bright posted:

You seem to give the guy a lot of grief even though the writing in Hiveswap seemed to turn out pretty well.

Did you actually play Hiveswap because the writing in that game was like a very stinky turd.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Basically all the effort in hiveswap writing went into combinatorial rubbing inventory items on things, which isn't exactly thr highest priority

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Clawtopsy posted:

hiveswap was not great imo

lots of the writing felt like "remember this thing? joey has this thing!!!"

Something I wanted to mention about that.

I feel like when a character had an interest in the comic, they had a reasonable number of things for it. John likes bad movies and ghostbusters, and just has posters for a few well known ones.

But with Joey it's like they were attempting to include every single thing from her interest. She has every single eighties toy that you ever heard of and every video game.

Again someone might justify it with the plot or something, but I kind of feel like there were too many things included to actually describe the character. Most of the stuff would be what someone from today would have for a completionist nostalgia collection, not what someone in the year would actually have.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Jake is rich as gently caress in that timeline though so it's not surprising he'd use his massive wealth to form the simulacrum of a parent-child bond with them.

Also I liked the writing in Hiveswap. I thought the final conversation between Joey and Xefros was really sweet and enjoyed that cutscene. I am not holding my breath for more Hiveswap but when it comes, I look forward to playing it. That's my cold take.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Spellman posted:

The only difference between a good troll and a bad troll is whether that troll was originally designed and characterized by Hussie, that's it, there's no real point to arguing what makes a good or a bad looking troll, and by any normal person's standards, they're all lame

One word for you: Cronus.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Zemyla posted:

One word for you: Cronus.

he was intentionally bad

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Neither Feferi, Nepeta, Eridan nor Sollux were exactly a masterclass on nuanced, complex character design.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I feel like it's OK to have bit characters in order to help flesh out your other better characters.

Like the 10 other ancestor kid trolls in order to help flesh out Meenah and whoever that other one was.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

life_source posted:

I feel like it's OK to have bit characters in order to help flesh out your other better characters.

Like the 10 other ancestor kid trolls in order to help flesh out Meenah and whoever that other one was.

Meenah ended up sucking and being pointless though.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Solluckth is my black horse favorite troll and i have no idea why

i think its the line "the poo poo i can pull out of my cranial cavity would make your head spin like a dervish in a blender"

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Hey, no judgement here. I have no idea why but Feferi is my current favorite troll.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Plom Bar posted:

Hey, no judgement here. I have no idea why but Feferi is my current favorite troll.

Woman of taste.
What was her last appearance? As in the ...beta? version? of Feferi, when she spoke to Jade in the dream bubble about how the horrorterrors aren't bad?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is it because Feferi is cool and cute and funny and good? Because she is

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Zeruel posted:

Woman of taste.
What was her last appearance? As in the ...beta? version? of Feferi, when she spoke to Jade in the dream bubble about how the horrorterrors aren't bad?

She is last seen flying off the pirate ship with Sollux and Nepeta after they and Tavros get sick of Vriska's poo poo. Her last line of dialogue is in the Ministrife, I think.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

My favourite troll is still Tavros and I am 100% sated with his satisfying character arc breakdance sequence so far as final major appearances go.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Meenah ended up sucking and being pointless though.
To be fair this was the fate of like 80% of the cast.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i liked how meenah did nothing and died again

as opposed to aranea who did something and died again

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

realtalk meenah was one of the best parts of act 6 up until the retcon where her fire went out

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
the best troll is still Nepeta.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

My favourite troll is still Tavros and I am 100% sated with his satisfying character arc breakdance sequence so far as final major appearances go.

Now that you mention it, I think Tavros was the only one of the original trolls who ended up having some sort of complete character arc.

Karkat faded into nothing, Kanaya was just sort of there, Terezi ended the comic feeling depressed and Vriska obsessed, Vriska herself got reset back to zero then got sucked into a blackhole, Nepeta and Equius got turned into sprite abominations, and everyone else just sort of faded into the background.

Oh, wait, Aradia went from feeling nothing about everyone dying to being happy about watching everyone die, that's something.

I guess Team Charge had the last laugh in the end.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

(Vriska) sort of had a complete ending, as did (Terezi), so we end up in the sticky situation of the versions of the characters we actually knew the longest had some resolution but the story left them behind for new versions that did not, which made the actual ending uncomfortable. And yeah the bit of epilogue there was just deepened that mood, especially for Terezi and John.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

(Vriska) sort of had a complete ending, as did (Terezi), so we end up in the sticky situation of the versions of the characters we actually knew the longest had some resolution but the story left them behind for new versions that did not, which made the actual ending uncomfortable. And yeah the bit of epilogue there was just deepened that mood, especially for Terezi and John.

I guess the original Terezi and Vriska dying and then being spirit bombed into oblivion counts as an arc...albeit one that seems increasingly hosed up the more you think about it (I guess the only real cure for depression and co-depenant relationships is double suicide...?).

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Alpha timeline Vriska got a fate worse than hell for her deterministic decision to try and solo Jack, just what everyone wanted, duh

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Who weeps for these marios indeed

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
brb lighting a votive for the Forgotten Marios

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Vriska and (Vriska) is one case where I think the story ended up where it wanted to be. One got to grow as a person and find some kind of catharsis. One got to accomplish things and be useful to the overall plot. Which one was successful?

I dunno what was up with Jade, though.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

neither did hussie

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rand Brittain posted:

He wrote himself into a trap. If she'd been around during the climax, she'd just have blackholed all the villains except the dogs, who can unblackhole themselves.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
He Wrote Himself Into A Trap: The Andrew Hussie Story.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

realtalk meenah was one of the best parts of act 6 up until the retcon where her fire went out
Again, this applies to large swathes of the cast.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pants Donkey posted:

Again, this applies to large swathes of the cast.

I'm really, really sorry to have lost GAME OVER Jade, who had some actual character development. Just after the retcon, I thought how passive everybody except Vriska was on the lilypads was a giant blinking light of "Something is not right here". It was downright weird that Rose and Karkat were going "gently caress it, let Vriska drive." Apparently that was Hussie's vision. Bah.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It was just a really bad move to chuck a solid year or two of story and give us an alternate timeline we had mere bits and pieces of.

I get that "what is the real you when many versions exist?" was intended as a theme of the story, but there had to be a better say of handling that then rewriting most of Act 6 in what was basically the climax of the whole thing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The problem is that the answer to that question was 'nothing.' Nothing is real or interesting when you start messing around with protagonist identities like that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm really, really sorry to have lost GAME OVER Jade, who had some actual character development. Just after the retcon, I thought how passive everybody except Vriska was on the lilypads was a giant blinking light of "Something is not right here". It was downright weird that Rose and Karkat were going "gently caress it, let Vriska drive." Apparently that was Hussie's vision. Bah.

can you imagine being locked in close quarters with Vriska for three years and not coming out the other side like "yeah just like.... dont argue with her. just nod and smile and let her think shes won."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think Dave even says something at one point like "oh this is a Vriska thing, okay tuning out for a while"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Scarodactyl posted:

The problem is that the answer to that question was 'nothing.' Nothing is real or interesting when you start messing around with protagonist identities like that.

It's something Hussie seemed aware of himself, but unable to look away from - I remember in specific reference to 4th-wall-breaking self-insert stuff he had some quote about the danger of making people unable to care about what was going on, but he managed to cause that by going the long way around - but none of this analysis is new, it's been chewed to death.

I think perhaps what Hussie might have needed was an open-ended project to work on, a story structured in a way that he can keep adding new layers, new characters, new mechanics onto it without worrying about bringing it all back in to a central conclusion. Maybe that means something episodic with short stand-alone chapters, or a deliberately open and meandering saga with no single central arc. It's safe to say after the fact that he seems to get restless working on the same project for too long and basically starts writing new stories within his existing story, even if that busts the structure up and makes finishing it harder. He might need a setup that works with those impulses, not against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

iirc vriska even pauses and goes "why isn't condy attacking us? OH WELL"

then condy is killed and nothing matters, how did that immortaloty work out for you