Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

EagerSleeper posted:

Did FFXV not make enough of a landing that they had to come back for seconds with a mobile game? Perhaps making a mobile game is easy when they already had assets available. Idk, I don't get it...

1. Japan loving loves mobile games
2. FFXV was in development for like a decade and cost Square roughly a quintillion dollars over it's dev lifecycle, so they weren't going to make their money back even if the game was a huge smash hit.
3. Seriously though Japan loving can't get enough of mobile games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
This last update was quite possibly the most jaw droppingly, aggressively stupid thing I've ever seen. Added to that I still have literally no idea what the gently caress is going on with any of this plot since the boat ride. Freya got shanked because...? We're supposed to care because...? Ignis meanwhile was blinded which might have had some form of emotional impact except it just sort of happened off camera and is now just invokes the feeling one feels at howlingly bad writing instead.

Game should've just stuck to doing sick jumps and murdering animals in a desert.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the chancellor dude obviously wants the main dudes to complete their quest in a certain order or only certain portions of it to further his goals (which are at cross purposes with the rest of the empire? a certain subset of the empire? the only other political figure i can think of that we've met is lunafreya's really angry brother, who i figured was trying to prevent the secret inevitable death all oracles undergo or something, but that's out as motivation now seeing as how she's already dead) and shanking the oracle played into that, i guess because he needs noctis to have the ring and not her? or he needs noctis to be depressed? unless i'm forgetting a big chunk of the story included in story quests and cutscenes, everything that happened in the last update is pretty incomprehensible

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I can't get over the fact that they blinded a main character offscreen with almost no explaination. Did this game even have a writer?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

1500quidporsche posted:

I can't get over the fact that they blinded a main character offscreen with almost no explaination. Did this game even have a writer?

I can't deal with the fact that our hero just battled a giant, ancient dragon sea-goddess to earn her power and prove his kingly honor and somehow this game -this loving game- found a way to make it so God-damned boring!?!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So Noctis is just carrying the macguffin ring around in a clenched fist all the time? Because there's an easier way to carry a ring.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

He can't put it on his finger as this could happen (spoilers for the Kingsglaive movie) if the bunch of ancient kings in the ring find him unworthy of their power.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'll say this for the movie, they really did a great job on the 'teleport to thrown knife' mechanic. The obviously put a tonne of thought into it and how professional soldiers could use it to do almost anything.

Then we get to the game and all of that gets tossed out the window.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
I'll bet y'all thought this game was dull because they were doing so many sidequests. Nope, that's just the game. Even boss fights with giant sea monster goddesses are boring.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
When I first got to that fight I was loving dumbfounded but how janky and awful it was, all I could think of was Sonic '06. It somehow looked less janky this time. loving lol. So Noctis and Luna knew each other as kids and were pretty close. Also destiny, etc.

The worst is yet to come. Especially right at the end of the game when you find out the truth about Ardyn and none of this had to happen, Luna didn't have to die, it's all nonsense.

I really hate ff15 for what it could have been, if squeenix didn't have a keyblade shoved up their rear end. Ugh, it makes aeris' death look like a greek tragedy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This game feels so much loving longer than Tales of Vesperia, god drat

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Roughly how much main plot is left? Like a third? Half? It all just blurs together after a while.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Squarely Circle posted:

Roughly how much main plot is left? Like a third? Half? It all just blurs together after a while.

Probably a third to a quarter. Since you're on a train now, you're basically railroaded into mainlining the plot, unless you use the dog to time travel. But it will probably feel more like half the game, or somehow, impossible as it is, twice the size of the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can really tell they had to stitch this together from the corpses of a thousand trailers.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

Probably a third to a quarter. Since you're on a train now, you're basically railroaded into mainlining the plot, unless you use the dog to time travel. But it will probably feel more like half the game, or somehow, impossible as it is, twice the size of the game.

Wait, what? But nothing's happened! Is this like the new Fallout games where it's 5% main story and the rest is all sidequests? :argh:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
If we're talking about plot I'd say we're maybe halfway through, gameplay wise you're more like two thirds to make a rough estimate. If you're waiting for an aha moment where it feels like the main plot is coming together, don't hold your breath.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, it strikes me just how tiny the world in this 'open world' game is if they're on the plot railroad now. There were what, 3 actual towns? A couple hotels? A few diners? It's been relying on the asininely long driving and loading times to make it seem like you're making long journeys rather than actually having lots of places to go.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Momomo posted:

If we're talking about plot I'd say we're maybe halfway through, gameplay wise you're more like two thirds to make a rough estimate. If you're waiting for an aha moment where it feels like the main plot is coming together, don't hold your breath.

Be delayed in getting on a boat for some bullshit reason I already forgot > actually get on boat > talk to a lady > have janky fight with sea monster during which fiance is shanked for no explained reason and best buddy is blinded off screen > multi week time skip, now you're somewhere else and on a train. 50% of epic and emotional main quest down!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Night10194 posted:

You can really tell they had to stitch this together from the corpses of a thousand trailers.

The most of the rest of the game is a literal railroad trough the rest of the plot.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How the gently caress is the plot half over when only three or four things of actual importance have happened during it so far?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've completely lost track of what Noctis even needs at this point. First general guy said he needed to collect all the weapons, then suddenly he needed all of the titans, and now he needs the One Ring? Does he really need all of these things to fight the Empire? Also if Luna could just summon all the weapons to him in an instant even though they were a continent away, why did Noctis have to collect them? Now they're doing... what exactly? Like Gladio made a snide remark that they wouldn't hop off the train at Tenebrae and Noctis made a disgusted sound but the game hasn't even explained what or where Tenebrae is, let alone why Noctis would want to go there, has it?

Even by modern Final Fantasy standards this game makes no goddamn sense.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Cerebral Bore posted:

How the gently caress is the plot half over when only three or four things of actual importance have happened during it so far?

Buddy, you have no idea how disjointed this game gets.

I don't want to be all wink wink nudge about it but considering the general tone of the thread, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that. I honestly have no idea how they've already been playing for thirty hours myself.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think Tenebrae was the country Lunafreya was princess of? Their marriage was going to be a political union between that one and Noct's one (Insomnia?).

So, this is the plot as best I can remember:

Noctis is going to marry Lunafreya. He gathers together his Hearty Crew to go on a road trip to see her and I guess the wedding was going to happen then. But his car breaks down, and later the boat he would take was grounded and it was probably all a ploy to get him out of the kingdom for when the empire invaded. I don't remember what happened on Luna's end but they were both presumed dead and went into their respective exiles.

Noctis is running around looking for allies. He gets told to gather his old family ancestors' weapons and meanwhile Lunafreya is going around to all the old espers/eidolons/summons/naughtyboys/whatever this game calls them and convincing them to side with Noctis or... something, so Noctis can use their powers to defeat the empire and probably also some other not yet defined evils. The empire is also trying to get at the naughtyboys and kill them or something. At one point Noct's car is stolen but he gets it back.

As they go about, one of the friends that is helping them out gets shanked by the empire and somewhere in all this I think they decide to go to the water city, presumably to summon Leviathan, I don't remember how this related to the dead guy but I'm sure there was some connection there. Their boat is broken so Cid sends them out to collect a super-rare nugget of metal rather than just pay some fisherman fifty gil to borrow theirs.

There's a big scene about summoning a gigantic belligerent dragon in the middle of the city, the city gets destroyed by water but actually everything is okay except Ignis is blind now (it's tragic coz he once said he likes seeing things, that was his entire personality and backstory) and Lunafreya gets shanked by Doctor Who in a patched-in scene to justify the fact she was supposed to die there.

Then several weeks happened and Noctis is sad because his girlfriend died but Gladiolus is beating him into not moping because the subjects of his occupied kingdom really need their teenage king half the continent away to not be sad while they're being murdered by robots. Noctis needs to get on with whatever it is he's supposed to be doing just as soon as someone tells him what that is. I think there's a prophecy involved because that's what you do when you need to tie together a bunch of cool scenes in a fantasy story and run out of ideas.

Did I miss anything?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You forgot the frogs.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Ultimate Weapons - I honestly have no clue, since they're garbage and decimate your health if you attack with them.
The Summons - More useful, technically those guys are supposed to recognize your Kingship....nessocity... though I don't think they've done that in years. Or maybe they did? Not like your dad ever told any of these idiots anything.
The Ring - This is important but I don't think the game tells you why until it actually matters (surprise, surprise). Right now its just the "these empire jerks want it so we need it just to be spiteful jerks stiggnit to teh mans!"

e:

Tenebrais posted:

There's a big scene about summoning a gigantic belligerent dragon in the middle of the city, the city gets destroyed by water but actually everything is okay except Ignis is blind now (it's tragic coz he once said he likes seeing things, that was his entire personality and backstory) and Lunafreya gets shanked by Doctor Who in a patched-in scene to justify the fact she was supposed to die there.

I always thought he was Fantasy Neil Gaiman, but yeah. This guys the Mirror Universe Fourth Doctor. Doctor Whuh? Or maybe Chaotic Evil Willie Wonka... AKA normal Willie Wonka.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 1, 2018

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The character with the most depth and emotional range in this game so far is the car.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Did I miss anything?

More gratuitous product placement.

I don't remember the looking for allies part, but I also don't remember any of the characters or their names because nothing in this game means anything. Is there actually any way in-game to learn about any of the world? At least Mass Effect had that weak codex, this is just loading screens if you're "lucky" enough to get one that isn't game mechanics that also aren't mentioned during actual play.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Noctis teleports because he's the royal blood and loving nepotism man. So why can the royal elite guard do it? Alternatively, why can't everyone else?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bocc Kob posted:

Is there actually any way in-game to learn about any of the world? At least Mass Effect had that weak codex, this is just loading screens if you're "lucky" enough to get one that isn't game mechanics that also aren't mentioned during actual play.

There are random books around the world that you can pixel hunt and then jump in front of two or three times before you read them properly. But you only look at them, they don't end up in your inventory or a data log or anything for future review or anything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

goatface posted:

Noctis teleports because he's the royal blood and loving nepotism man. So why can the royal elite guard do it? Alternatively, why can't everyone else?

Their bond with him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So why don't the idiot brigade zap about like fuckers then?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Bethamphetamine posted:

The character with the most depth and emotional range in this game so far is the car.

glad you specified "emotional" there

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The royal family has magic powers granted by The Crystal, and the King has the ability to divvy out some lesser powers to people, like storing their weapons in magic space and being healed by energy drinks they bought out of the back of a truck.
The Ring is the tool used to channel the full strength of The Crystal, and can only be used by people chosen by it(the royal family), and Noctis is being a baby about wearing it right now.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Speaking of cars, is it on the train now? Or is it still hanging out on the SS Fucktown?

Incidentally, as annoying as timeskipping onto a train is, looking at the map, that would've been like a solid hour of silently riding a boat, so thank god they did.

That one three minute clip of the movie (full of spoilers) someone linked a day ago has done far more to explain what the ring does than the game has — did they seriously offload explaining the plot into a goddamn feature film instead? Does anything actually make sense when you're done with the game without having watched the movie?

Tenebrais posted:

I think Tenebrae was the country Lunafreya was princess of? Their marriage was going to be a political union between that one and Noct's one (Insomnia?).

So, this is the plot as best I can remember:

Noctis is going to marry Lunafreya. He gathers together his Hearty Crew to go on a road trip to see her and I guess the wedding was going to happen then. But his car breaks down, and later the boat he would take was grounded and it was probably all a ploy to get him out of the kingdom for when the empire invaded. I don't remember what happened on Luna's end but they were both presumed dead and went into their respective exiles.

Noctis is running around looking for allies. He gets told to gather his old family ancestors' weapons and meanwhile Lunafreya is going around to all the old espers/eidolons/summons/naughtyboys/whatever this game calls them and convincing them to side with Noctis or... something, so Noctis can use their powers to defeat the empire and probably also some other not yet defined evils. The empire is also trying to get at the naughtyboys and kill them or something. At one point Noct's car is stolen but he gets it back.

As they go about, one of the friends that is helping them out gets shanked by the empire and somewhere in all this I think they decide to go to the water city, presumably to summon Leviathan, I don't remember how this related to the dead guy but I'm sure there was some connection there. Their boat is broken so Cid sends them out to collect a super-rare nugget of metal rather than just pay some fisherman fifty gil to borrow theirs.

Then several weeks happened and Noctis is sad because his girlfriend died but Gladiolus is beating him into not moping because the subjects of his occupied kingdom really need their teenage king half the continent away to not be sad while they're being murdered by robots. Noctis needs to get on with whatever it is he's supposed to be doing just as soon as someone tells him what that is. I think there's a prophecy involved because that's what you do when you need to tie together a bunch of cool scenes in a fantasy story and run out of ideas.

Did I miss anything?

I think you forgot the demons, which seems like it's the "actual" world-saving plot, rather than the "empire are dicks" local plot. I think maybe the titans are important for that? I assume they're what's keeping the world together, and I think the empire is killing them because destroying the world is apparently the same as ruling it, so far as this sort of writing goes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He should grant himself the power to summon the HMS Fucktruck when he holds his hand out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gruckles posted:

The Ring is the tool used to channel the full strength of The Crystal, and can only be used by people chosen by it(the royal family), and Noctis is being a baby about wearing it right now.

I mean I'm just going to assume based on the dumb movie clip posted earlier that Noctis is still too much of a weenie to be chosen and would just end up with his arm burned off, right? It would certainly liven up the train ride, at least.

Like Leviathan was (I think?) supposed to acknowledge him outright as well but he took one look at Noctis and told Luna to piss off. I can't blame him, either.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Speaking of cars, is it on the train now? Or is it still hanging out on the SS Fucktown?

We don't know. Gladio and Noctis' crybaby competition took up too much screentime in the last video so we'll have to wait until the next one at least for answers to the important questions.

Narrative wise, the game included 2 instances of dialogue indicating that the car came with you on the royal boat (to a continent where you never even got to drive it). It'd be a dick move to disappear the Regalia. Just like blinding a main character off screen with no explanation.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
This is my second time seeing that section and it's still just as bad.

I also can't believe they'd make all that dramatic poo poo happen and then, from the audience's perspective, have Gladio berate Noctis for still being upset about it not even 5 minutes later. The game was obviously trying to create some emotional impact but then they undermine it by demanding that you get your priorities straight and immediately stop caring.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, how's it going to have any impact? We don't know Lunafreya at all. In-setting, Noctis doesn't either. She's just a nice girl he hang out with a little as a kid who then summoned a giant water dragon and died so he could go super saiyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Night10194 posted:

I mean, how's it going to have any impact? We don't know Lunafreya at all. In-setting, Noctis doesn't either. She's just a nice girl he hang out with a little as a kid who then summoned a giant water dragon and died so he could go super saiyan.

They've been corresponding for years since then via the magic dog journal so it's not quite as simplistic as that

granted, according to this lp the only thing noctis has ever said to lunafreya in all the letters he's ever sent is "got it" but, y'know

• Locked thread