Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

VirtualStranger posted:

I wish there was a mod that added more AI personalities that didn't fill half of the galaxy with incredibly stupid joke empires based on some overly specific gimmick.

By AI personalities do you just mean custom races or literal AI Empire behavior altering mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Shibawanko posted:

Ugh there's a star called Covfefe. I don't really need to be reminded that that poo poo exists when I'm playing Stellaris.

Think about the song Let it be, by the beatles.

Now imagine that song with Covfefe replacing the words let it be. (If you pronounce the e in covfefe like the e in be)

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

By AI personalities do you just mean custom races or literal AI Empire behavior altering mods?

I'm mostly referring to this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701432146

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Loel posted:

Also, whats the deal with pirates? I've been throwing minerals at a fleet whenever I had a spare moment, and I'm at about 500 combat power (coilguns II), but this pirate base near by border is like 1500. What do I need to do to knock them down? Get destroyers?

Build a couple new colonies and starbases with them, it won't be hard to build enough corvettes to gently caress up the weak pirates.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Loel posted:

So, third try :D

Went with mandatory hyperspace lanes cuz they make sense to my Space Empires III brain. Also switched out Shadow Council / Xenophobic for Parliament / Xenophiliac, and reduced hostility of xeno to as low as possible. Its a big love fest, and my factions just want everyone to hug.

I split 3 corvettes to explore half the map, and set up four outposts at all the chokepoints into my spiral of the galaxy. Spawning a colony pod or private colony pod every four years or so, and I've split off my first sector. Got two constructors and two science vessels finishing off all the territory inside the chokepoints.

So, I guess I'm in the early mid-game. What do I do with factions? Is there a way to optimize sectors? What should I be trading for with the xeno regimes near me? Goal is to build a federation eventually.

Also, whats the deal with pirates? I've been throwing minerals at a fleet whenever I had a spare moment, and I'm at about 500 combat power (coilguns II), but this pirate base near by border is like 1500. What do I need to do to knock them down? Get destroyers?

Happy factions give bonus influence as well as meaning bonus member pop happiness, but your best bet is to pick two or three whose ethics you can work best with and focus on their happiness; other factions will stay relatively small barring strangeness anyway. If you get one strong enough you can adopt it's ethics (or go from regular to fanatic) but heaving your empire dramatically from one thing to another is a big and unreliable undertaking.

'Optimizing' sectors really just means making sure they start with enough resources to get going. They do tend to work towards a set focus but not exactly nimbly. You can directly manage planets in sectors these days so feel free to do that if they are playing silly buggers.

Xeno trading is basically "whatever you need and can afford", but don't give future enemies technology agreements, and if you have space to backfill, you may need to close borders until you can colonize.

Lastly, taking hard targets in early game is pretty rough, the solutions are either tech up to destroyers, or spam missile 'vettes (or even torpedoes if you can get them). You'll want to prioritize ship class techs as a general rule anyway, because it's easy to get left behind and the enemy will happily pounce if they think they have an advantage, which they will believe if you have 'vettes and they have cruisers.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Seems good to me, imo.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I for one can't wait for Stellaris to enter 2.0 Cherryh AKA open beta

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I would've preferred Stellaris with a static map (at least at its base, with varying degrees of RNG galaxy generation) but that ship has sailed. Would be nice to play in a galaxy with a sense of history though, like being able to generate a timeline of a few decades, and then choose when and where to start (or even take over an existing nation), etc.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

This is already a thing that has been in the game since Utopia?

Eh not really. You can find ruined mega structures but you still need all the tech and ascendancy perks to fix them so they're just a mineral discount.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm fighting the Contingency, however since it doesn't count as a war, none of my vassals will follow me or do anything. Is this working as intended? I've got "follow me" selected but they just sit on their butts since technically there's no war.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

maybe you could gin up a war against someone just to get them following

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

pdxjohan posted:

Think about the song Let it be, by the beatles.

Now imagine that song with Covfefe replacing the words let it be. (If you pronounce the e in covfefe like the e in be)
Eh. It's pretty lame and unpleasant, even put to music.

I think Wiz was pretty cool how he correctly noticed when the "Make Space Great Again" hats stopped being funny and retired them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Commonwealth of Man posted:

Hello little botlings. Have you learned to count yet, or are you still stuck on ones and zeroes?
My fleets: one. Your fleets: zero.

They're all the numbers I need, sucklords!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Since that game broke on the crisis by not spawning the faction I started over with the same passive aggressive race, but on a more crowded galaxy

Fun so far

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Eiba posted:

Eh. It's pretty lame and unpleasant, even put to music.

I think Wiz was pretty cool how he correctly noticed when the "Make Space Great Again" hats stopped being funny and retired them.

See the silver lining instead, take over the system and rename it whatever your heart desires.

And in three weeks? BLOW IT THE gently caress UP!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Demiurge4 posted:

Eh not really. You can find ruined mega structures but you still need all the tech and ascendancy perks to fix them so they're just a mineral discount.

:ughh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Having a mega structure in your space increases the odds of you drawing mega-engineering. So its not all bad! :eng101:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't think you need the Ascension perks to repair, just the mega engineering tech

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like you didn't get the point of my original point. What I was suggesting was that you can find shittier versions of mega structures that you can restore earlier. So you might get a single ringworld segment that has penalties to energy generation because it's incomplete and your empire doesn't know how it really works. Or you find a super computer in an abandoned lab anomaly and you use it to set up a 30 point science nexus.

Later when you actually get the techs you could restore these at a discount to full functionality. But right now megastructures are a fifth pick ascension perk and hella late game.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I am running a mod I've made that halves megastructure resource and time costs (except ringworlds), and removes the block on simultaneous construction.

Ringworld mineral costs aren't reduced, but completing a sector gives you 3 habitable zones instead of 1. This gives them a per-tile cost somewhat lower than habitats, but with a much greater initial investment.

I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but I worked out the Dyson sphere costs with this mod and it works out between mining stations and planet-based power plants in cost per energy, IIRC.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think I'd like it if you could start megastructures earlier, but their functionality was capped based on current tech. I think post cherryh there's going to be 6 tech tiers (5 regular, then the repeatables). Instead of needing three (two post cherryh?) tier 5 techs + mega engineering, have mega engineering be a tier 4 tech with the tier 4 energy and space construction techs as prereqs, but the structures you build or repair are kinda lovely. When you get the tier 5 techs you can build the good ones, and spend some extra minerals to retrofit the bad ones. So a poorly built/repaired ringworld segment would spawn 4 - 6 "structural support" tile blockers per segment and/or be limited to the standard climates and/or cost energy to maintain orbit. Researching the appropriate technologies would allow you to remove the tile blockers, upgrade to gaia, and install zero point thrusters.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Demiurge4 posted:

I feel like you didn't get the point of my original point. What I was suggesting was that you can find shittier versions of mega structures that you can restore earlier. So you might get a single ringworld segment that has penalties to energy generation because it's incomplete and your empire doesn't know how it really works. Or you find a super computer in an abandoned lab anomaly and you use it to set up a 30 point science nexus.

Later when you actually get the techs you could restore these at a discount to full functionality. But right now megastructures are a fifth pick ascension perk and hella late game.

Not only is there already an event chain where you find a ruined ringworld that you can repair one segment at a time, but you also don't need any ascension perks because you can repair any megastructure with just mega engineering.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 2, 2018

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I just read through the dev diaries after putting this game down for a couple months and am super stoked for the DLC/patch. I always play on hyperlanes-only so this change is right up my alley. Odds that synthetic dawn and the humanoids pack goes on sale when this drops?

One thing I didn't really understand was the focus on penalizing ring-shaped empires. Was that a thing? I've never built that way. Is/was there some benefit to doing that? I usually end up on an arm of a spiral galaxy and end up being kidney bean shaped.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Loel posted:

I've been throwing minerals at a fleet whenever I had a spare moment, and I'm at about 500 combat power (coilguns II)

Not having destroyers yet, and only having 500 fleet power is still early game (you wouldn't be able to take an enemy planet that had a station, for example). Build more ships, make sure that you're keeping up in science - you can check your relative levels of fleet power/fleet cap/technology by mousing over their overall power level in the diplomacy screen, btw, if you didn't know.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Clanpot Shake posted:

One thing I didn't really understand was the focus on penalizing ring-shaped empires. Was that a thing? I've never built that way. Is/was there some benefit to doing that? I usually end up on an arm of a spiral galaxy and end up being kidney bean shaped.

I think that was just an example when the idea was more to penalize empires with more than one border (either due to multiple islands of empire space, or holes within their empire).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Enigmatic engineering is a really interesting one cos yeah, it was really silly playing a tech focused empire but if you lost one corvette in a fight, you basically handed your enemy all your technology.

Do FEs get this?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Do FEs get this?

I doubt it. Reverse engineering their technology has always struck me as a feature, and you can already prevent reverse engineering in the current game by adding a line to the component you want to make immune. So if they wanted to make FE ships immune to reverse engineering they probably would have already.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Do FEs get this?

Considering that we will be able to build Titans, it would feel strange not to be able to reverse engineer FE Titans.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Do enclaves give any kind of poo poo about being in your borders (as they currently work)? It's not going to piss them or somebody else off if I get some gore on them?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Do enclaves give any kind of poo poo about being in your borders (as they currently work)? It's not going to piss them or somebody else off if I get some gore on them?

You get a bonus to your relationship with them when they are within your borders.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Orv posted:

You get an opinion boost if they're inside your borders.

There's an achievement for blowing one up, but I can't figure why you would ever do that. How does that benefit you?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Quite the opposite, having them in your borders gives you a passive opinion increase per month.

EFB

Clanpot Shake posted:

There's an achievement for blowing one up, but I can't figure why you would ever do that. How does that benefit you?

Purifier-likes can't trade with them, and you get stuff for killing them.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cool, thanks all.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Clanpot Shake posted:

It denies it to the enemy. Valuable if you're a fanatic purifier or determined exterminator. Plus you get a bunch of resources or science depending.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/959476911834652673

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So you can declare a fallen empire's holy world's as your own holy world, boosting relations with them, but what about just making brand new holy worlds that don't have anything to do with an FE?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

So you can declare a fallen empire's holy world's as your own holy world, boosting relations with them, but what about just making brand new holy worlds that don't have anything to do with an FE?

I mean, it says right there:

Spiritualists can also declare an uninhabited Gaia world in their borders to be a Holy World for additional monthly Unity.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Which is the greater good? To declare a world to be holy, and enjoy its splendor from afar, or to pack that world to the brim with pampered sentients and allow them to enjoy a life of ultimate luxury?

I now see the idea of Rogue Servitors kidnapping random beings to install them on the literal paradise worlds that they refuse to step foot on the grounds of it being holy land to be the most hilarious thing imaginable.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

countdown till a governor colonizes the world and FE declares war for your double-heresy

it's a pretty intense amount of unity though... at least for a tall-ish empire. a big wide empire probably wont care much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One Planet Empire with a vast number of terraformed holy worlds could be pretty powerful unity wise.

• Locked thread