Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Edison was a dick posted:

I got my ProTube today.

Has anyone tried the Evolution VR controller?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078YHYWQ5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1JXQG1V16BKB6&psc=1

It looks like a credible ProTube VR alternative.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

Does anyone recall the Amazon Protube alternative, was that discussed here? I tried searching thread/reddit/amazon but can't find it. I think it was $49.99 for Vive only. I just returned my TPCast and am considering getting one.

It’s junk, get the protube.
The amazon one didn’t have any steppings in the joints and was really flimsy and will probably be taken down soon due to blatant patent abuse.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

It’s junk, get the protube.
The amazon one didn’t have any steppings in the joints and was really flimsy and will probably be taken down soon due to blatant patent abuse.

Looking at the pictures the only thing I really see is the Evolution one has tighteners on the top of holders while the Protube does not. It looks like the quality of the cups is poor as well. At $49.99 and the ability to return as compared to $150 I'm def tempted.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

nickhimself posted:

t's like some people have zero concept of rhythm and just want to flail their arms around like idiots for the whole song.

There's also the issue with recording challenges that you dont appear to be able to save a "draft" or private version of the song to test it before releasing it. I'll often gently caress up somewhere and not realize it until the challenge is published.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Edison was a dick posted:

I got my ProTube today.
Heavier than I expected, but that's probably the bipod and being able to aim at distant targets makes such a difference to immersion.
It was pretty fun in Fallout 4 VR spraying bullets pivoting at the shoulder while using the other hand to run away.

The grip's a bit awkward and I haven't found a comfortable position for my left hand yet.
This is particularly awkward because Fallout 4 VR's Pip boy gets in the way of the scope.
Annoyingly the beta update broke my mods which made the reflex sights more visible.
Might switch away from pistols, since for rifles having the ProTube meant I no longer needed them.

I miss being able to use pistols two handed, so I might have to find an accessory that clips to the top of the wands.

My ProTube also arrived today. I got the kit and and the directions were quite bad (if anyone knows what the bottle of liquid is that comes with it, and what you're meant to do with it please let me know. Best guess is it's lubricant.), but it's together now. When I started using it it definitely wasn't immediate satisfaction, I'm at the point where I kind of like using it, but some things just feel really awkward as opposed to having both hands free all the time. In H3VR I had to turn on the "gun rig" setting to get a match for the grip angle I had set up (the one in all the pictures on the site), and the non-physical mag reloading because the metal tube precisely blocks access to the mag well on basically every rifle. Shooting clay pidgeons is annoying because of seating and unseating the offhand cup repeatedly, but that's to be expected I guess. One thing that I didn't anticipate was having to move the cups when switching between carbines and full rifles, and I guess when I get around to testing them SMGs and bullpups will also be different. I think I'll stick with it and eventually become more comfortable with it, and I can do some new stuff that I basically couldn't before like long range shooting off a pack or with a sling (also have yet to test the usefulness of the 2-point sling for this).

e: also the kit one is maybe <$100 shipped, I forget. It's definitely not $150.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Seashell Salesman posted:

My ProTube also arrived today. I got the kit and and the directions were quite bad (if anyone knows what the bottle of liquid is that comes with it, and what you're meant to do with it please let me know. Best guess is it's lubricant.), but it's together now. When I started using it it definitely wasn't immediate satisfaction, I'm at the point where I kind of like using it, but some things just feel really awkward as opposed to having both hands free all the time. In H3VR I had to turn on the "gun rig" setting to get a match for the grip angle I had set up (the one in all the pictures on the site), and the non-physical mag reloading because the metal tube precisely blocks access to the mag well on basically every rifle. Shooting clay pidgeons is annoying because of seating and unseating the offhand cup repeatedly, but that's to be expected I guess. One thing that I didn't anticipate was having to move the cups when switching between carbines and full rifles, and I guess when I get around to testing them SMGs and bullpups will also be different. I think I'll stick with it and eventually become more comfortable with it, and I can do some new stuff that I basically couldn't before like long range shooting off a pack or with a sling (also have yet to test the usefulness of the 2-point sling for this).

Do you have a Vive or a rift? Also, I think your alignment is off a bit and I could help you realign, hit me up on discord and we can blabber about configuration.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

rage-saq posted:

Do you have a Vive or a rift? Also, I think your alignment is off a bit and I could help you realign, hit me up on discord and we can blabber about configuration.

I'm using rift version. Are you talking about the discord for this thread or for protube?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

I'm using rift version. Are you talking about the discord for this thread or for protube?

The goon VR discord

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I have a Rift and Vive and with shipping costing $40 I wanted to get both cups and 2 point sling. Both cups w 2 point slink plus shipping is roughly $146.

Edit: Just checked if you get the minimal Pro-tube it comes to $99 shipped to the US vs $50 for the Evolution.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 1, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Article on roadtovr about VRHero's 5k headset. Sounds flawed but they seem direct about addressing some of the problems. Not consumer-orientated though at $9k.
Pimax doesn't look like it will deliver vr 2.0 either from their latest update. They don't mention the optics/eye strain issues some users at CES had in their list of changes for consumer version.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think we should call anything generation 2.0 that doesn't have eye tracking.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Agreed.

The other news is that the Vive Pro is supposed to be more expensive than the regular Vive, which isn't surprising but really depends on whether they mean the Vive at launch or now, and by how much. Frankly I can't see a small bump in resolution being worth very much, but we'll find out soon I guess.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed with the progress so far. Unbelievably, It's been almost two years since the launch of the original generation and HTC/Oculus have gently caress all to show for it, unless they drop some major news very soon. Despite some challenges the MS headsets seem to be the most exciting so far.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember, they're not trying to adopt the Cell Phone model. They're adopting a Console model.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The Vive and Rift are cellphones with crappy lenses in front. Now that they've finished piggy backing off the available technology, they actually have to improve things through R&D which takes time. You'll note that the Vive Pro doesn't even have different lenses (because Valve got bored and HTC doing anything itself is lol), but the Oculus Go supposedly has improved lenses over the Rift, as an example of some progress being made.

We got most of the free stuff out of the way, and new stuff is more difficult

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Remember, they're not trying to adopt the Cell Phone model. They're adopting a Console model.

The new PS4/Pro console model, new hardware every few years not every 7 years.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

1988 :pcgaming:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sega got you beat by a year: https://segaretro.org/3-D_Glasses

In Brazil it was called "Oculos 3D"

Edit: I actually owned them too, 3D Missile Command prepped me for a life of VR.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What ever happened to nvidia's 3D shutter solution? Can games and software it supported be played on an HMD?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

What ever happened to nvidia's 3D shutter solution? Can games and software it supported be played on an HMD?

I believe there is a way to do that, not all that many games ended up supporting it however. VorpX seems to be the preferred, although imprefect solution if you want play traditional games in VR.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I bet that would work a lot better now with much more common >120Hz displays. I never had them but I did have a pair of red-blue glasses and played some GTA4 that way, it was pretty cool as a gimmick but not really feasible as a long-term solution.

Stick100 posted:

The new PS4/Pro console model, new hardware every few years not every 7 years.
So we'd get a slim Vive somewhere along the line? Unlike with a console that would actually not be completely useless.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lemming posted:

The Vive and Rift are cellphones with crappy lenses in front. Now that they've finished piggy backing off the available technology, they actually have to improve things through R&D which takes time. You'll note that the Vive Pro doesn't even have different lenses (because Valve got bored and HTC doing anything itself is lol), but the Oculus Go supposedly has improved lenses over the Rift, as an example of some progress being made.

We got most of the free stuff out of the way, and new stuff is more difficult

That was the Rift DK2. The rift and Vive both have custom screens. The vive pro will have two screens of a different size and resolution from the two screens in the normal Vive. The fact that they are both custom screens makes it seem that they should cost about the same. There's no reason for the vive pro to cost a lot more than the normal Vive.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

That was the Rift DK2. The rift and Vive both have custom screens. The vive pro will have two screens of a different size and resolution from the two screens in the normal Vive. The fact that they are both custom screens makes it seem that they should cost about the same. There's no reason for the vive pro to cost a lot more than the normal Vive.

The point is the resolution bump is small because sure, it's a custom screen, but the fundamental driver of the technology, phone screens, doesn't require higher resolution because the current res is already great for phone purposes and higher resolution would also use more battery, so improvements require R&D investments that aren't already happening for phones. That's why all we're getting is 1.5. It also means I'm only really expecting a jump from Oculus in the near future because Facebook is shoveling cash into a furnace in a way other companies can't afford or aren't willing to do

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

That's why all we're getting is 1.5. It also means I'm only really expecting a jump from Oculus in the near future because Facebook is shoveling cash into a furnace in a way other companies can't afford or aren't willing to do

Isn't this like the only thing HTC has left? I'd think it's pretty important to them too, and on paper they seem like a pretty huge company, certainly with more manufacturing assets than Facebook.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

Isn't this like the only thing HTC has left? I'd think it's pretty important to them too, and on paper they seem like a pretty huge company, certainly with more manufacturing assets than Facebook.

Yeah you'd think they would have an in house similar to touch style control by now too but here we are.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah you'd think they would have an in house similar to touch style control by now too but here we are.

True enough, Facebook bought the entire Xbox design crew to make the Touch and HTC is still content with typical Chinesium. Then again they had it out like six months earlier or something. I have no idea why they're still launch the Pro with those instead of knuckles... even the loving Pimax is claiming to launch with knuckles.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm surprised HTC is still trying. Especially after it seems that Valve completely gave up on doing anything besides having a platform to sell VR games. There's no way they can make money on hardware. Why else would they be selling accessories at such laughable prices? Oculus has been lowering the price as much as possible to get people to buy in. HTC probably can't afford the R&D to innovate aside from making the screens better. I guess that's why they are working so hard to push their own software platform. I know Valve is afraid of hardware, but they really are the ones that should be competing with Oculus, because they can definitely afford to make some hardware as a loss leader.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The 3d vision was neat. Though when I tried it back on the 570, it didn't really have the power for Bulletstorm. I'm sure the newer version was a bit nicer and enjoyable when you had 700-900 series. There seemed like a good selection of games, most of the AAA stuff too.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 2, 2018

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

I'm surprised HTC is still trying. Especially after it seems that Valve completely gave up on doing anything besides having a platform to sell VR games. There's no way they can make money on hardware. Why else would they be selling accessories at such laughable prices? Oculus has been lowering the price as much as possible to get people to buy in. HTC probably can't afford the R&D to innovate aside from making the screens better. I guess that's why they are working so hard to push their own software platform. I know Valve is afraid of hardware, but they really are the ones that should be competing with Oculus, because they can definitely afford to make some hardware as a loss leader.

Oculus is leading in software, hardware, and R&D at this point.

Software can be debatable I guess, but Valve doesn't seem to want to bother with "hard" features like ASW. Oculus has had ASW for about 1.5 years now and I just don't think Valve will match.

In hardware, Oculus is pricing much cheaper than their competition and meets or exceeds in most categories. Vive Pro will probably mess with this a bit. I must say I am quite curious to see who will toss hundreds of dollars at a resolution increase.

And lastly, I don't see anybody publicizing any neat next-gen R&D besides Oculus at this point. They have invested heavily into R&D and it really shows. I just don't see HTC matching what Oculus comes up with in the near future, unless HTC is just quietly sitting on their own research to surprise everybody with at a later date. I just see most of HTC's stuff as coming from Valve or just standard engineering improvements like the better headstrap or better screens. Is anybody other than Oculus focusing on stuff like improved optics? On focal surface displays? I just don't see it. Oculus sure is proud of it, though, and often shares information about their next-gen research.

If Oculus gen 2 has eye tracking, foviated rendering, and focal surface displays, and HTC doesn't, that would be a huge blow for them. I think that is what would make something seem "2nd gen".

Valve needs to really start pushing their tech forward at this point. Sitting back and hoping other people make the hardware is going to fail for them. Just like it always has.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I'm not sure but I would imagine HTC contracts out their manufacturing to Foxconn or similar. If Apple contracts through Foxconn I would imagine smaller players like HTC do.

Same thing with high-end silicon fabs; you have intel, samsung, toshiba, micron and a few others like GlobalFoundries capable of producing modern CPU and everyone else just sends off their files to them along with a big fat check, then the end result gets drop shipped to someone like Foxconn who glues it to a fiberglass PCB with some sensors from another silicon fab; glues it to a screen and wraps some injected plastic casing around it and slaps it in a shrinkwrapped cardboard box.

Drove past some grim looking giant white factories outside of Hanoi, Vietnam couple months ago that looked like they were sized to build boeing 737s but had a Foxconn logo on the side about 20 feet high.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nalin posted:

If Oculus gen 2 has eye tracking, foviated rendering, and focal surface displays, and HTC doesn't, that would be a huge blow for them. I think that is what would make something seem "2nd gen".

I think there is a good chance that Oculus gen 2 will use the Santa Cruz tracking. From using WMR their 2 camera tracking is good enough for 95% of all circumstances. If the Santa Cruz 4 camera tracking is as good as it demos then I think it's fully sufficient to replace any outside in solution.

Afterall for me the biggest problem with WRM tracking wasn't losing tracking out of vision (although Santa Cruz seems to have that handled) but losing tracking when the controllers were close to your face. I think the 4 camera solution with overlapping fields could really help the close camera problem.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

I think there is a good chance that Oculus gen 2 will use the Santa Cruz tracking. From using WMR their 2 camera tracking is good enough for 95% of all circumstances. If the Santa Cruz 4 camera tracking is as good as it demos then I think it's fully sufficient to replace any outside in solution.

Afterall for me the biggest problem with WRM tracking wasn't losing tracking out of vision (although Santa Cruz seems to have that handled) but losing tracking when the controllers were close to your face. I think the 4 camera solution with overlapping fields could really help the close camera problem.

Opposite here with my WMR. Stuff like Art of Fight and Stand Outs Pro-Locomotion like, I really had to make sure my head was down enough to have full swings available to move at full speed. It was doable, and it was really good. but having something tracking behind a bit would fix it totally.

Either way, That happens im upgrading I legit dont give a gently caress the cost, that plus a better view, ha, done deal.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Opposite here with my WMR. Stuff like Art of Fight and Stand Outs Pro-Locomotion like, I really had to make sure my head was down enough to have full swings available to move at full speed. It was doable, and it was really good. but having something tracking behind a bit would fix it totally.

Either way, That happens im upgrading I legit dont give a gently caress the cost, that plus a better view, ha, done deal.

No snark just trying to understand.

So your saying your ex. with WMR was that the controller tracking was horrible and caused issues in games you wanted to play? If so what was the issue? I didn't play much on WMR so my opinion is very limited.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

Valve needs to really start pushing their tech forward at this point. Sitting back and hoping other people make the hardware is going to fail for them. Just like it always has.

They got bored and they're going to cancel their 3 vr games lmao gently caress Valve

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Lemming posted:

They got bored and they're going to cancel their 3 vr games lmao gently caress Valve

They won't actually announce the cancellation though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Wheezle posted:

They won't actually announce the cancellation though.

I'm sure it's already happened (remember they said we'd hear more during 2017 lmfao)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Somebody said the words "DOTA battle royale" and everyone pushed their desks from the VR zone to DOTA land

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

homeless snail posted:

Somebody said the words "DOTA battle royale" and everyone pushed their desks from the VR zone to DOTA land

first person DOTA battle royale would be pretty goddamn sweet not gonna lie

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody should tell Gaben that he could simulate his knives more accurately in VR if they finish knuckles.

Hadlock posted:

I'm not sure but I would imagine HTC contracts out their manufacturing to Foxconn or similar. If Apple contracts through Foxconn I would imagine smaller players like HTC do.
:words:
HTC were basically the Foxconn years ago, manufacturing stuff for HP, Dell and others. I can't tell for certain but I think they've maintained most of the manufacturing inhouse and only outsourced some of the production in like 2014 when poo poo started to go bad for them.

Nalin posted:

Oculus is leading in software, hardware, and R&D at this point.

I doubt Rift2 will have a multi focal display but everything else should be easily doable.

While I can't see HTC matching Zuck's fat stacks of R&D cash but they've got to have something in pipeline other than a small resolution increase. Right? Tobii even did all the hard work of getting their eye tracking into a Vive, so just stick that in. How hard could that be???

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Lemming posted:

These lazy sacks of poo poo couldn't even be bothered enough to introduce ASW and only had one programmer working on it who isn't even obligated to do it thanks to flat hierarchy. gently caress Valve. Most overrated company ever.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

mobby_6kl posted:

HTC were basically the Foxconn years ago, manufacturing stuff for HP, Dell and others. I can't tell for certain but I think they've maintained most of the manufacturing inhouse and only outsourced some of the production in like 2014 when poo poo started to go bad for them.

In the early Windows Mobile days, most phones that where sold under the Audiovox name, and most ATT branded smart phones were HTC made. I am sure they made stuff for lots of other brands too. It wasn't until the late Windows Mobile era that early Android that they started selling products under their own name.