Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RillAkBea posted:

Bandai's official HGUC Gundam (Ground Type) revive page is up!

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/2228/

The accessories look fairly similar to the original (the backpack pieces are almost identical in fact), except now it also comes with the beam rifle too. Still no GM head though, which is disappointing considering how good Bandai has been about extra head bits these days.

Just buy the Ground GM if you want the conversion. It's dirt cheap and apart from the shoulders it's articulated to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

StrixNebulosa posted:

My first MG is here, and. I thought it would be of a comparable size/part count to the RG I did, but sweet moses. :stare: So many runners! So many pieces! I'm going to be working on this for weeks!

:woop:

You gonna tell us what you got, or...?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Watch it be the Psycho Zaku or something equally ridiculous.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Muffinlord posted:

Oh, sorry!

Dark Exia MG - a gift from my brother, bless him.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Muffinlord posted:

He's not going to know what it is until he's finished building it, duh.

Don't tell me you're one of those people who skips to the last page of the instructions and spoils the surprise.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

He's not going to know what it is until he's finished building it, duh.

Don't tell me you're one of those people who skips to the last page of the instructions and spoils the surprise.

I'm a girl.

And I'm afraid I'm one of those people who can't help but oogle the box art, so I know what I'm making ahead of time, haha.

e:

I love this art and the design of the mech so much. :D

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 1, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

You may want to get a stand for this guy though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Full Armor Thunderbolt ver Ka showed up at my door this afternoon, so that ought to be... exciting. I feel bad because I only built one gunpla this month though, thanks to travelling and work related stuff.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah im an Exia hater and I really like the Dark Matter. I dislike how the exia has that giant pointy gn drive sticking out of place on it, and the dark matter is 'I'm ALL pokey angles so it blends'.

I want the mg also but I havent even gotten the mg wing fenice rinascita yet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Monaghan posted:

You may want to get a stand for this guy though.

Done! Got this clear one, decided it looked cooler than a black or white one.

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah im an Exia hater and I really like the Dark Matter. I dislike how the exia has that giant pointy gn drive sticking out of place on it, and the dark matter is 'I'm ALL pokey angles so it blends'.

I want the mg also but I havent even gotten the mg wing fenice rinascita yet.

Gasp, someone else who doesn't like the Exia! I don't hate it per se, but I just haven't found it to be very appealing at all. And it has the classic (boring) white n' blue n' red n' yellow colors and it's like, no thanks, I will get something more exciting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not huge on the exia, though I will say its PG is gorgeous.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh, sorry!

Dark Exia MG - a gift from my brother, bless him.

That's a pretty cool lookin one for sure! Good luck with your build! They're way less intimidating once you start, trust me. :)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not huge on the exia, though I will say its PG is gorgeous.

I'm the same way, never really fussed on the Exia but the PG is one of the best looking kits I have.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The Exia is simple and pure and wonderful. gently caress the haters. It's the best version of This Is A Gundam.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
More like This Is A Swordam

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I mean the sword is also wonderful, but I assumed this went without saying.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

The exia owns and has a dirty hobo cape.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

punchymcpunch posted:

The exia owns and has a dirty hobo cape.
So do I and I don't have a $100 model kit.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

So do I and I don't have a $100 model kit.

maybe you would have a kit if you had a dirty hobo cape like the exia

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Exia owns bones for being so simple, and being one of maybe... two?... protagonist Gundams that don't start off with the usual rifle-and-sword loadout. It isn't as cool with the full Seven-Sword equipment though, because all it needs is that beautiful colossal switchblade :allears:.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Exia owns bones for being so simple, and being one of maybe... two?... protagonist Gundams that don't start off with the usual rifle-and-sword loadout. It isn't as cool with the full Seven-Sword equipment though, because all it needs is that beautiful colossal switchblade :allears:.
The only other ones I can think of are Turn-A and the Shining/Burning. Any I'm missing?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i forget if barbatos starts with the club or the sword

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

i forget if barbatos starts with the club or the sword

The mace.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Exia starts with a rifle-and-sword loadout. In fact, it's the only Gundam to do that. All the others start with a rifle and a sword.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Would an action stand even work with the Psycho Zaku? It seems like the giant rocket would get in the way, though I assume it's removable?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

A Full Armor Thunderbolt ver Ka showed up at my door this afternoon, so that ought to be... exciting. I feel bad because I only built one gunpla this month though, thanks to travelling and work related stuff.

Enjoy! :)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

My first MG is here, and. I thought it would be of a comparable size/part count to the RG I did, but sweet moses. :stare: So many runners! So many pieces! I'm going to be working on this for weeks!

:woop:

Btw, heads up, but as far as I know, all of Bandai's (modern?) MGs are entirely snap-build, no painting or wiring needed, that stuff's the purview of PG. So you should be safe to pick up any kit that catches your fancy.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Exia is probably my favorite 1st-generation Gundam suit. The proportions on it are pretty unique, and having a big-rear end-loving-sword is great. The beam daggers from the back are just so cool, too. And the whole “flying/hovering mobile suit on earth” from the GN drives always feels special.

The only thing that can probably compare is TV Wing Gundam. Transforming, giant-gently caress-off-gun, and wings make it awesome. I’m planning on picking up the MG version of it, as it’s the last general release Wing MG I don’t have built.

On the topic of Waterslides, I finally did my first kit with them - Tallgeese III. They’re a bit of a pain in the rear end, but they are so much more forgiving than dry transfers, and they end up looking pretty good. Grabbing some of the official packs where it makes sense, but what’s the word on 3rd party ones? Any of the makers good, or am I SOL for anything Bandai doesn’t put out?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Third party waterslides are hugely variable. Obviously you've got your good go-to guys for precuts like Samueldecal but even he has some old stock from like five years ago or more that's non precut and on thicker film, to the point where you need to apply multiple treatments of solvaset to 'melt' it on to the plastic once you've set it, nevermind getting them to get into crevasses. The stuff he makes nowadays is Bandai quality though, if maybe a bit glossier than their usual output for larger pieces.

Ebay ones are a minefield. Sometimes you'll find ones that are pretty decent but there's a lot in there that are incredibly stubborn to get off of the paper, and you have to soak each decal for like ten minutes to get it to come off cleanly or else you'll risk either having paper come with the decal or tearing the film.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Third party waterslides are hugely variable. Obviously you've got your good go-to guys for precuts like Samueldecal but even he has some old stock from like five years ago or more that's non precut and on thicker film, to the point where you need to apply multiple treatments of solvaset to 'melt' it on to the plastic once you've set it, nevermind getting them to get into crevasses. The stuff he makes nowadays is Bandai quality though, if maybe a bit glossier than their usual output for larger pieces.

Ebay ones are a minefield. Sometimes you'll find ones that are pretty decent but there's a lot in there that are incredibly stubborn to get off of the paper, and you have to soak each decal for like ten minutes to get it to come off cleanly or else you'll risk either having paper come with the decal or tearing the film.

He recently posted that he's no longer going to be doing waterslides anymore.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

unpurposed posted:

Samuel Decals, except no decals.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

unpurposed posted:

Wait what the hell, dry transfers then? I hate bandai's stupid stickers.

So what happens when you god hand loses its edge. I'm hesitant to just throw it away and get a new one because they are about 50 bucks a pop. Is there a file or sharpening kit available?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

unpurposed posted:

He's no longer doing customs. He'll still be doing others.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Ka0 posted:

Wait what the hell, dry transfers then? I hate bandai's stupid stickers.

So what happens when you god hand loses its edge. I'm hesitant to just throw it away and get a new one because they are about 50 bucks a pop. Is there a file or sharpening kit available?

take em to a knife sharpener maybe?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the issue is that there is a very thin line between 'godhand' and 'scissors'.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If you take care of them, God Hands will last for years without needing a sharpening. Hell, I treat mine like poo poo and they're getting kind of brown and the spring doesn't work that great but they still cut super clean and flush.

If you keep it in the cover, keep them oiled, and only ever cut gates, you'll only make things worse trying to sharpen them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Also I guess I know what my next eventual build project will be

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Bunch of kits from the new Build Fighters ("Build Divers") been revealed. The best one is the Grimoire Scopedog Red Beret.

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2018/02/hgbd-1144-grimoire-red-beret-release.html

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DigitalRaven posted:

Bunch of kits from the new Build Fighters ("Build Divers") been revealed. The best one is the Grimoire Scopedog Red Beret.

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2018/02/hgbd-1144-grimoire-red-beret-release.html

You joke, I think you'd be hard-pressed not to see that as a deliberate Scopedog-referencing design. I like the little Grimoire head-pods tucked in the backpack :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You joke, I think you'd be hard-pressed not to see that as a deliberate Scopedog-referencing design. I like the little Grimoire head-pods tucked in the backpack :allears:.

Oh, I'm not joking. I love it in all its Scopedoggy glory and love that such a thing exists.