Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ok I went out and soul trapped a Warg just to see if it would work. The hood recharged a bit! It must be the fresh soul thing. The rear end who told me Troll souls last ages though is so getting a Plagued Skull on his door step though.

Thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Ok I went out and soul trapped a Warg just to see if it would work. The hood recharged a bit! It must be the fresh soul thing. The rear end who told me Troll souls last ages though is so getting a Plagued Skull on his door step though.

Thanks guys

'Troll souls last longer' is just specism. Trolls are different, just like everyone. Some have strong souls. Some have weak ones. I mean, a 'Greater Grey Troll', what's that? Was it a troll witch? A troll king? A troll saxophone player? If you don't know, you don't know how much soul it had.

Once you go past the skin, the blood, the bones, the spirit (separate thing), all the way down to the soul, we really are all alike.

Or so I like to think, because one day I, who began this life as a simple mortal, plan to ascend to godhood.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

'Troll souls last longer' is just specism. Trolls are different, just like everyone. Some have strong souls. Some have weak ones. I mean, a 'Greater Grey Troll', what's that? Was it a troll witch? A troll king? A troll saxophone player? If you don't know, you don't know how much soul it had.

Once you go past the skin, the blood, the bones, the spirit (separate thing), all the way down to the soul, we really are all alike.

Or so I like to think, because one day I, who began this life as a simple mortal, plan to ascend to godhood.

Uh a Greater Grey Troll man. Like you kmow the normal Gray Troll with the horns and the gray leathery hide? Its the bigger one with the shaggy fur patches and second set of horns growing.

Have you not read Melincamps Compendium of the Northern Beasts?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Uh a Greater Grey Troll man. Like you kmow the normal Gray Troll with the horns and the gray leathery hide? Its the bigger one with the shaggy fur patches and second set of horns growing.

Have you not read Melincamps Compendium of the Northern Beasts?

Buddy, if you want to use souls to power things, you need to focus less on what they were, and more on who they were. You gotta pay attention. You gotta care.

I've got a full sized Agony Engine (turns tormented souls into useful energy, pretty typical stuff) powered by a single one, and it's been running for a hundred years. It's just a little star of pure Hate, ever-burning in the machine's heart, brighter and more malignant than the day I put it in there. Instead of withering, it prospered, because suffering just gives it strength, and the petty torments of the Engine are nothing compared to what it inflicts upon itself. One day, perhaps, I will fall, and without me the machine will break, and a great horror will be loosed upon the world.

Y'know where I got that soul? From a little gnome who really, really hated everyone (but especially his neighbors with the prairie dog who squeaked too loud) for the pettiest of reasons. Just one of those people who wasn't happy unless he and everyone around him was miserable, taken to its beautiful and perfect zenith. Y'know how I found that gnome? A local gnome paper about a funny ongoing neighbor dispute.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I heard this is the place for evil wizards to post? Because I just have to vent about being an evil wizard. Only being able to control evil sucks. Just the other day some dumb kid broke my side mirror. So I try to curse him, just a little, no dice. Too young to have a moral compass my rear end.

I got assigned a cover job as a stage magician, fun and easy to fake right? Wrong. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find evil doves and rabbits? And asking for volunteers from the audience is just asking for a fight.

And don't even get me started on double dates. One bright bulb starts lighting candles or cooling off a hot room with magic and its all over. "Ooh why don't you show off too?" How do you respond to that? If you wiggle your fingers at your date and it doesn't work it looks like you were lying about the whole wizard thing. And if it does work you are dating somebody who is EVIL. Its only a matter of time before you get handcuffed to something without a key. And don't ask about evil handcuffs, major turn off.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Vlonald Prump posted:

Juggaloth has informed me that he needs precisely 8,888 souls for his plan of unknowable madness. Soul gems are fine, as are phylacteries, spirit bottles, etc. Juggaloth is nothing if not flexible.

Juggaloth would prefer the pure souls of newborn babes but understands that He can't be picky when buying in bulk.

What kind of mutation would you like? I can reccomend the tentacles, but they can be a little bit intimidating. We have a special offer going right now on poison glands. The All-Seeing Eye is a classic and comes in 55 colors.

Send a trustworthy familiar or avatar to Blarjaq the Bloated in the 15th infernal realm. Itll get you a good deal on souls if you can get it a city to devour. For a demon hes very non-backstabby or rulefucky. Doesnt even want a pact. A rare honest gluttony demon who wants to eat flesh instead of souls.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Bacontotem posted:

Send a trustworthy familiar or avatar to Blarjaq the Bloated in the 15th infernal realm. Itll get you a good deal on souls if you can get it a city to devour. For a demon hes very non-backstabby or rulefucky. Doesnt even want a pact. A rare honest gluttony demon who wants to eat flesh instead of souls.

They got some hot AF slam whales demonesses down on 15th.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Nice honeypot. Gonna have to try a better trick than to reveal m-

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My dragon, Princess, is now the size of a horse! I think it's okay to let her roam the mountains now. She's been going stir-crazy in her enclosure, so some fresh air and open space should be good for her. Plus there's wild sheep and goats to hunt, so that'll cut back on my food bills.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Buddy, if you want to use souls to power things, you need to focus less on what they were, and more on who they were. You gotta pay attention. You gotta care.

I've got a full sized Agony Engine (turns tormented souls into useful energy, pretty typical stuff) powered by a single one, and it's been running for a hundred years. It's just a little star of pure Hate, ever-burning in the machine's heart, brighter and more malignant than the day I put it in there. Instead of withering, it prospered, because suffering just gives it strength, and the petty torments of the Engine are nothing compared to what it inflicts upon itself. One day, perhaps, I will fall, and without me the machine will break, and a great horror will be loosed upon the world.

Y'know where I got that soul? From a little gnome who really, really hated everyone (but especially his neighbors with the prairie dog who squeaked too loud) for the pettiest of reasons. Just one of those people who wasn't happy unless he and everyone around him was miserable, taken to its beautiful and perfect zenith. Y'know how I found that gnome? A local gnome paper about a funny ongoing neighbor dispute.

This guy. This guy knows what's up.

habituallyred posted:

I heard this is the place for evil wizards to post? Because I just have to vent about being an evil wizard. Only being able to control evil sucks. Just the other day some dumb kid broke my side mirror. So I try to curse him, just a little, no dice. Too young to have a moral compass my rear end.

I got assigned a cover job as a stage magician, fun and easy to fake right? Wrong. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find evil doves and rabbits? And asking for volunteers from the audience is just asking for a fight.

And don't even get me started on double dates. One bright bulb starts lighting candles or cooling off a hot room with magic and its all over. "Ooh why don't you show off too?" How do you respond to that? If you wiggle your fingers at your date and it doesn't work it looks like you were lying about the whole wizard thing. And if it does work you are dating somebody who is EVIL. Its only a matter of time before you get handcuffed to something without a key. And don't ask about evil handcuffs, major turn off.

Let me tell you about defiling magic.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That's why I'm all about the elementalism as a solid foundation for later work

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Just lol at this guy who doesn't wanna spend time with a Lady of Pain

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Speleothing posted:

That's why I'm all about the elementalism as a solid foundation for later work

Hahah hey guys get a lode of this nerd.

Why do you like elementalism, bud? does it help you get your rocks off?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
What elementals do I need to grind up to make a salvia-equivalent? Asking for a friend.

naem
May 29, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You need to start charging it with soul energy, not orb energy. You can make do in the short term, but...

EDIT: What Skypie said, basically...

I find you can turn orb energy evil if you yell at it enough.

I mean it takes a LOT of yelling but will get just hopping mad if you keep at it.

I keep a hobgoblin on staff just for yelling these days, he pops into our dimension and goes to town. Doesn't charge much either the guy just loves yelling

naem
May 29, 2011

It does get hard to explain to the normie neighbors why a small angry purple guy is yelling at my wardrobe at all hours because "he's charging my anger orbs" only raises more questions

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Guys if I wanted to power poo poo using abbusive soul energy I'd use my mother in law. You should hear her rabting about accepting the dwarf refugees from the fall of Khazarka-oorodin. Hoooo boy does she let out some slurs and hate.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It's tempting, all right.

I used my mother-in-law's soul to animate a pile of corpses the size of a castle.

I know that because my bitch ex took the pile and the castle in the divorce. loving gnome court.

naem
May 29, 2011

Turning a living in-law into an undead spirit being that feeds on hate sounds like a recipe for disaster to me

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gridlocked posted:

Guys if I wanted to power poo poo using abbusive soul energy I'd use my mother in law. You should hear her rabting about accepting the dwarf refugees from the fall of Khazarka-oorodin. Hoooo boy does she let out some slurs and hate.

Your MIL is dumb. It's stupid to single out one group to oppress, because they'll probably form the core of a rebellion and if you can't nip it in the bud it's Castle Storming Time. I try to spread out the abuse equally in my domain.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Skypie posted:

Just lol at this guy who doesn't wanna spend time with a Lady of Pain

Getting unMazed is a huge hassle, honestly.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Getting unMazed is a huge hassle, honestly.

Yes, but that's why I said "a Lady" and not "the Lady."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Fuuuck my outlying duengon was appenrtly raided last week by sone "hero" wearing a pile of glowly ringmail and weilding a flail with five heads in one hand and a hammer in the other. His accomplices were a mage in pink and a big bloke who kept talking to his breast pocket.

Police are investigating currently but they can't help old Bill the caretaker/demon of shadows who got gis head chopped off in the incident.

Has anyone had trouble with this party before? If you have infp that could help please call the police.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

Fuuuck my outlying duengon was appenrtly raided last week by sone "hero" wearing a pile of glowly ringmail and weilding a flail with five heads in one hand and a hammer in the other. His accomplices were a mage in pink and a big bloke who kept talking to his breast pocket.

Police are investigating currently but they can't help old Bill the caretaker/demon of shadows who got gis head chopped off in the incident.

Has anyone had trouble with this party before? If you have infp that could help please call the police.

Sorry to hear that, dude. Get a beholder.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Bill was a friend man. At least as good a friend a Demon of Shadows could be.

He worked hard. Kept the duengon nice and dank but like not smellimg like the poo poo adventures would drag in on their feet.

These guys though they used the service tunnel to gain access to the complex unofficially and killed a pile of skeleemployees. They stole my treasures and ruined the duengon for legtimate adventurers for years to come.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Bill was a friend man. At least as good a friend a Demon of Shadows could be.

He worked hard. Kept the duengon nice and dank but like not smellimg like the poo poo adventures would drag in on their feet.

These guys though they used the service tunnel to gain access to the complex unofficially and killed a pile of skeleemployees. They stole my treasures and ruined the duengon for legtimate adventurers for years to come.

Are...you in a cyberpunk plane because it sounds like some shadow runners just performed a hit on you.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm fairly sure I didn't plane shift

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Skypie posted:

Are...you in a cyberpunk plane because it sounds like some shadow runners just performed a hit on you.

This is the shadowrun plane chummer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skypie posted:

Yes, but that's why I said "a Lady" and not "the Lady."

Fair enough.

DrowningInDreams posted:

This is the shadowrun plane chummer

That's pretty wiz.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Guys I think we better do something about the Winter Warlock. He gets super down this time of year and we really don’t need a repeat of that whole “Kringle” incident.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grogquock posted:

Guys I think we better do something about the Winter Warlock. He gets super down this time of year and we really don’t need a repeat of that whole “Kringle” incident.

Is he the reason we have a Krampus about? Think it could be related to the kobolds?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not quite.

Remember the late 80's and 90's, when The Guardian was cutting though the Multiverse like a hot knife through a baby's flesh? Big red-faced guy, deep voice? Always with the mind games, asking if something was virtuous? See, he was formed when the Avatar Of Virtue cast off all imperfections as she attained the Codex Of Ultimate Wisdom, and since he was a nega-avatar and everything she wasn't, there was no way to actually stop him, since, y'know, an Avatar Of Virtue is basically a "good person who tries their best" but still an extremely mortal person, and he was the opposite of that, being a negatar. She figured it out eventually and merged with him and now makes, like, artisanal woodworks in some backwater.

Too bad about the Guardian. He was someone we should all aspire to be.

Anyhoo, it's like that with Santa and the Krampus. While getting rid of Santa is many evil wizard's fondest wish, it would also mean getting rid of his Krampus negatar.

Supremely powerful negatars are an effective phylactery strategy in theory if you can contain your negatar rather than allow it to be destroyed, but I've never seen it done effectively in practice.

The Winter Warlock is... another thing.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Not quite.

Remember the late 80's and 90's, when The Guardian was cutting though the Multiverse like a hot knife through a baby's flesh? Big red-faced guy, deep voice? Always with the mind games, asking if something was virtuous? See, he was formed when the Avatar Of Virtue cast off all imperfections as she attained the Codex Of Ultimate Wisdom, and since he was a nega-avatar and everything she wasn't, there was no way to actually stop him, since, y'know, an Avatar Of Virtue is basically a "good person who tries their best" but still an extremely mortal person, and he was the opposite of that, being a negatar. She figured it out eventually and merged with him and now makes, like, artisanal woodworks in some backwater.

Too bad about the Guardian. He was someone we should all aspire to be.

Anyhoo, it's like that with Santa and the Krampus. While getting rid of Santa is many evil wizard's fondest wish, it would also mean getting rid of his Krampus negatar.

Supremely powerful negatars are an effective phylactery strategy in theory if you can contain your negatar rather than allow it to be destroyed, but I've never seen it done effectively in practice.

The Winter Warlock is... another thing.

TIL

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

SilvergunSuperman posted:

This thread moves slowly, calm your fiery heart.

See, I told you nobody cares.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ugh, I think my dragon ate another kid

And I'm not talking about a baby goat

It's not like I can't fend off those dumb inbred shepherd villagers and their crappy torches, but it really takes a lot of time out of my day

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I ganked a benevolent techno wizard trying to reintrodice light magic to earth realm through enchanted viral code.

His death was swift and anyway ive corrupted his computer but im not an electrician. Any tips on abducting people who can wire up a medieval wight dungeon?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Ugh, I think my dragon ate another kid

And I'm not talking about a baby goat

It's not like I can't fend off those dumb inbred shepherd villagers and their crappy torches, but it really takes a lot of time out of my day

How big is it? Could you drop it into a pocket dimension until it matures, or if it's fully grown kill & reanimate it?

Edit:

Oooh!! How good are you at soul binding? Split the spirit of a faithful servant in half. Then put one half into a clay figurine and the other into the dragon. Should become much easier to control. And tell me how this works because I've not had a chance to try it yet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a little help with potential phylacteries. Someone earlier mentioned the bard who made his a song and I was wondering if anyone had any tomes on using abstract concepts. I mostly do work in theoretical wizardry so this is more for an upcoming symposium than practical use, but I was wondering if you might be able to use the abstract concept of Death as a phylactery. Ideally your own death would power the reaction but I doubt that would be feasible. Any thoughts?

On a related note, I was trying to trap a demiplane I had created into a gemstone and, well I simply have the worst handwriting and couldn't read my own notes, and anyway I think I've created an enchanted sapphire that contains... well... us. I mean, I'm in the lab holding the sapphire but the lab and myself are also in the sapphire.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Better not drop it! :)

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a little help with potential phylacteries. Someone earlier mentioned the bard who made his a song and I was wondering if anyone had any tomes on using abstract concepts. I mostly do work in theoretical wizardry so this is more for an upcoming symposium than practical use, but I was wondering if you might be able to use the abstract concept of Death as a phylactery. Ideally your own death would power the reaction but I doubt that would be feasible. Any thoughts?

On a related note, I was trying to trap a demiplane I had created into a gemstone and, well I simply have the worst handwriting and couldn't read my own notes, and anyway I think I've created an enchanted sapphire that contains... well... us. I mean, I'm in the lab holding the sapphire but the lab and myself are also in the sapphire.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Better not drop it! :)

I successfully made a phylactery out of an unusual mathematical equation but quickly realized it doesn't matter if you're in an a advanced society or medieval poo poo hole (flyover state) its useless because education has gone down the shitter. Then inspiration came and turned the concept into computer script. Since the advent of crypto currencies, I'm more powerful than ever.

If you want to get artsy about it, make your phylactery a cooking recipe. Unfortunately, it only works if the results make people really gassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oops I'm a skeleton now. Any life hacks? I can't get my capacative touch screen to work anymore and I'm having to type this post on a computer like a 20th century evil wizard.

Also all drive for my vices of food, sex, and drugs have disappeared and I feel like I should replace that with something but I don't know what. In the meantime I'm continuing to eat food and smoke drugs though this literally has no effect and the food just falls on the ground. Sex has been a non starter though, I have no dick.

• Locked thread