Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Shall we stop and press F pay our respects or pass on by?

quote:

The monks of Talestria are infamous for their gluttony. Stories of their thirty-course meals and week-long banquets are well known throughout Magnamund. However, despite their voluminous robes, you cannot help but notice how slight these monks appear.

Heavy handed hint that these are either bad guys posing as the monks or the monks themselves are bad guys.

Either way lets go gently caress with them and see if we can't give this thread another "which special items do we throw away?" dilemma.

we have a bow [and fireseeds!] and we wish to Pay Our Respects with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I thought it was Press R and Pay Our Respects

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Let's pay our respects to the dead. We need to impress the High Spheres to get their favour for the quest.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Might as well add a few more bodies to the open grave.

:zombie:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ulmont posted:

These monks don't seem suspicious at all and probably don't have loot...
There is absolutely nothing odd at all about how the hoods are pulled so far forward you can't see any of their faces and the sleeves are so long that you can't see their hands and there could be literally anything under those robes. That's normal.

The Jungle of Horrors posted:

At your approach the monks step back from the grave and draw themselves into a line. Their hooded heads stay bowed and their hands remain hidden inside the generous folds of their robes. You ask the name of the unfortunate deceased, but the echo of your voice and the constant drip of the steady rain is your only answer.

All at once, as if in response to a silent signal, the monks throw back their hoods to reveal ghastly, fleshless faces. ‘By the gods!’ gasps Paido. They emit a hideous shriek, panicking the horses. As you fight to control your frightened animal, the skeletal monks spring forward to attack.

As you unsheathe the sun-sword, a shimmering pulse of golden flame engulfs the blade from hilt to tip. Your attackers hesitate as the pure light washes over their hellish faces. They shriek with malice and leap forward once more, their bony hands now clutching weapons of black steel previously hidden beneath their robes.

Vordaks: COMBAT SKILL 28 ENDURANCE 40

Unless you possess the Magnakai Discipline of Animal Control, deduct 3 points from your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of the fight. These undead are immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge). Remember to double all ENDURANCE point losses sustained by your enemy due to the power of the Sommerswerd.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 37
Vordaks: COMBAT SKILL 28 ENDURANCE 40
Combat Ratio: 1

We roll: 10
Vordaks: COMBAT SKILL 28 ENDURANCE 12

We roll: 10
Vordaks: COMBAT SKILL 28 ENDURANCE 0

Your ears are filled with a loathsome hissing as the bodies of your slain enemies dissolve into the mud. You stare at their smouldering remains, and a cold chill grips your heart as you speculate on why these foul servants of the Darklords came to this sleepy Talestrian hamlet.

Inside the abbey you discover the grisly answer. Scattered throughout the chambers and corridors are the bodies of dead monks, their lifeless faces frozen in masks of horror. Several have been stripped of their robes, presumably to provide a disguise for their killers.

‘Why would the Darklords want to take control of this abbey?’ asks Paido, horrified at the sight of such slaughter.

‘I fear it is part of their plan to conquer Talestria,’ you reply. ‘It is always their strategy to infiltrate a land with agents before invading. When invasion is launched, these agents rise up and attack from within.’

‘So you think that the Darklords plan to invade Talestria,’ says Paido, aghast at the possibility of such an event.

‘I suspect that their plan is already under way,’ you say thoughtfully. ‘Perhaps the destruction of Luukos was masterminded not in Xanar, but in Helgedad.’

Paido helps you to bury the monks in the graves already dug by their killers. As you cover the last of the bodies with soil you notice a small, pear-shaped stone lying on the pathway. Its speckled blue surface is mirror-smooth and, despite its size, it feels remarkably heavy. You suspect it is very valuable and decide to keep it. (Mark this Lodestone on your Action Chart as a Special Item that you carry in your Belt Pouch. If you already carry your maximum number of Special Items, you must discard one in favour of this new item.)

Shafts of sunlight break through the slate-grey cloud, and the rain eases off and finally stops. You ride across the rolling valley floor towards the River Phoen until the track stops at a ramshackle house perched precariously on the river bank. An old wooden jetty juts out from the side of the house, its platform almost submerged in the rain-swollen river. A notice board standing in front of the house reads:
    FERRY HOUSE LANDING

Passenger barges to Tharro—embark from this jetty.
    Barges to Phoena—embark from opposite bank.

NO CATTLE, WAGONS, CARAVANS, OR HERD ANIMALS UNLESS BY SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT
  1. Which item do we discard in favour of the Lodestone?
  2. Shall we wait for the barge or investigate the ferry house?

Special Items:
  1. Helmet (+2 EP)
  2. Shield (+2 CS)
  3. Firesphere
  4. Two Diamonds
  5. Badge of Rank
  6. Pass (cannot be discarded during book 8)
  7. Prism
  8. Two Brass Whistles
  9. Quiver (six arrows)
  10. Fireseeds (5)
  11. Kazan-Oud Platinum Amulet
  12. Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 EP)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
That’s the second mandatory Special Item in this book. :argh: Dever! These better be worth keeping!

Discard Brass Whistles & Check Ferry House for Loot.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Drop whistles for lodestone, head for the ferry house since that's our sidequest destination.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Can we mark this as Vordak Lodestone (Talestria)

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Chuck the whistles for the lodestone and loot investigate the ferry house.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Helios Grime posted:

Chuck the whistles for the lodestone and loot investigate the ferry house.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

Can we mark this as Vordak Lodestone (Talestria)
I'll mark it as "Lodestone (Vordaks; Talestria)" so the note will be there but the actual name will be correct.

You climb the creaky stairs that lead to the front door and rap the wrought-iron knocker. The door squeaks open slowly and you are greeted by what appears to be a bundle of rags and hair. After staring at it for a few moments, you realize with disbelief that the ill-smelling mound before you is alive. The hair parts and a face appears, crevassed with dirt-encased wrinkles. ‘What do you want?’ croaks the old woman, grinning a yellow, mirthless grin.

‘I wish to see Tadia,’ you say, bowing politely so as not to appear threatening to the frail old crone. ‘Are you the fair lady I seek?’

A smile crumples her face and a blush, like an angry bruise, discolours her leathery cheeks. ‘I am her mother,’ she says coyly. ‘What is it you wish to see her about?’

Before you can answer, a young woman’s voice calls from inside the house, ‘Show them in, mother. I’ve been expecting them.’

The old woman leads you and Paido to a room at the top of the stairs. Books and charts, stacked high on shelves and scattered about the floor, fill the room which is illuminated by daylight streaming through a domed portal in the ceiling. A massive bronze telescope is fixed to the portal and below it rests a circular table of carved bone set with gems. Seated at the table is a beautiful young woman. Her hair is silken gold, and around her high, pale forehead she wears a circlet of jet inlaid with runes and mystic symbols.

‘I am Tadia the Prophetess,’ she says, her voice soft and lilting, ‘and you are Lone Wolf, Lord of the Sun-realm, Skarn, of legend.’ Paido reaches for his sword but you stay his hand, for you sense that this woman wishes to help, not harm you.

‘We live in an age of great peril. Your enemies of old are our enemies; they stand poised to conquer our land and I fear we are too weak to resist them. Your purpose is known to me, and I will aid you all I can in the hope that you will fulfil your destiny and destroy the champions of darkness.’

Tadia raises her arms and points towards the sky. Floating in the air between her parted hands appears a spinning globe of white fire. She tilts back her head and stares into this ball of flame, her eyes unblinking despite the fearful intensity of the light. ‘Your safest passage to the Danarg is through the Mordril Forest,’ she says solemnly. ‘The road to Syada is fraught with danger—only battle and death await you there.’

The globe flickers and fades and Tadia returns her gaze to you. ‘Let nothing delay your quest, Lone Wolf. The future of both our lands depends on your success.’

Before you leave the prophetess offers you a choice of potions and weapons. You may take whatever you wish but remember to amend your Action Chart accordingly. Choose from the following:
  • Potion of Alether—increases COMBAT SKILL by 2 points for the duration of a single combat.
  • Potion of Laumspur—restores 4 ENDURANCE points (enough for one dose).
  • Broadsword
  • Quarterstaff
  • Rendalim’s Elixir—restores 6 ENDURANCE points (enough for one dose).
  • Tincture of Oxydine—restores 2 ENDURANCE points (enough for one dose).
All potions are Backpack Items. If you are infected with the korovax bacillus, you may use the Tincture of Oxydine to cure yourself.

Once you have made your choice you leave the Ferry House and continue.

As you descend the steps of the Ferry House, Paido catches sight of something glinting in the distance.

‘It’s the barge,’ he says, shielding his eyes from the sun which is shining at last. A team of bedraggled ghorkas are hauling the vessel upstream, seemingly unaffected by the storm-strengthened flow. Eventually the barge arrives at the jetty and stops to allow a motley assortment of peasants and travellers to disembark.

‘You two goin’ to Tharro?’ asks the captain. ‘The fare’s 40 Lune apiece, an’ that includes y’horses.’
  1. What, if anything, will we take? (If we want to take weapons we'll need to discard Special Items to make room)
  2. Will we buy a ticket (40 Lune = 10 Gold Crowns)?

JD: Gary, can you draw a beautiful young woman?
GC: Like this?
JD: ...
JD: Close enough.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
:wink:
:wmwink:

-Take the Elixir and Tincture
-Pay for a ticket as long as Paido pays for his own ticket (no freeloaders)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

1. Take Alether, Laumspur, Oxydine, and Elixir.
2. Buy ticket. (Replace the prism.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Helios Grime posted:

:wink:
:wmwink:

-Take the Elixir and Tincture
-Pay for a ticket as long as Paido pays for his own ticket (no freeloaders)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

1. Take Alether, Laumspur, Oxydine, and Elixir.
2. Don’t Buy ticket. (We can still walk, I now want to be reminded what that does.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiggum posted:

JD: Gary, can you draw a beautiful young woman?
GC: Like this?
JD: ...
JD: Close enough.

To be fair, Jamie Lee Curtis was pretty drat hot in 1984. (And is still a handsome woman now, for that matter.) Gary Chalk just couldn't draw her very well.

Let's buy a ticket.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Buy potions, walk trails

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Get the Elixir of Rendalim and the Potion Of Alether.
Let's walk.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

So we have four empty backpack slots right? What's the point in not taking all of them? Why is it even a choice?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 3, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Get the Elixir of Rendalim and the Potion Of Alether.

Mikl posted:

Pay for a ticket

Jackard posted:

So we have four empty backpack slots right? What's the point in not taking all of them? Why is it even a choice?
Ask the people who voted to not take all of them, I guess.

You stare across the lush open plains that border the river, contemplating the quest that lies ahead. A flock of long-necked okrils fly overhead, their melodic call echoing across the grasslands as they return to their nests at the river’s edge. Paido sits silently beside you at the prow, his thoughts, like yours, on the perils of the Danarg that have yet to be faced.

The sun is low in the sky when you catch sight of Tharro, its mud-coloured walls—thick, high, and crenellated—dominating the hill on which it was built centuries ago. The barge passes beneath a stout wooden bridge, supported by rough-hewn pillars of stone, along a canal running parallel to the river, and draws to a halt before two massive metal-bound doors which span the waterway. You collect your horses and disembark with the other mounted passengers, riding in line towards the fortified town gate. At first you are turned away by the guards, but when you show your pass, signed and sealed by Lord Adamas, you are both ushered to the front of the queue and saluted like lords as you ride through the archway and into the square beyond. Three streets converge at the river gate square: Copperpiece Lane, Globe Walk, and Flagon Alley.
Do we go west into Copperpiece Lane, north into Globe Walk or northwest into Flagon Alley.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Flagon Alley. I need a drink!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Globe Walk.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
West is :goleft:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Globe.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Flagon Alley. I need a drink!
You would expect to find a pub down this street, wouldn't you?

Night is closing in and the shops that line the narrow street are shutting their doors. Lanterns flare into life, their yellow glow warming the chill west wind as the townsfolk return to their homes at the end of another day’s trading. But there is one shop where the doors remain open. The sign hanging from its balcony reads:
    RHOLA RHADA—MAPMAKER
Shall we go in? Or continue down the street?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Map Maker, Map Maker, Make Me a Map...

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I feel like we already have the best map we're gonna get.

But we're here, so let's take a look.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 3, 2018

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Jackard posted:

I feel like we already have the best map we're gonna get.

But we're here, so let's take a look.

But maybe he has a treasuremap! Let's take a look.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
We've got empty slots in our backpack, right? Visit the Map Store

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

There's no GPS on this world, so a Mapmaker can rely useful informations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You are welcomed by an attractive young woman with long, jet-black hair, woven into a single plait that reaches almost to her waist. She is dressed in a green suede-cloth tunic, similar to your own, and wears soft, calf-skin gloves. In addition to the maps, which she researches and draws herself, she also sells all manner of hunting and scouting equipment. She takes an obvious delight in her work and shows you samples of her maps, which are excellent for their accuracy and attention to detail. You ask her if she has ever prepared a map of the Danarg and she turns strangely silent. Tears begin to fill her dark eyes as she recalls how she and her father once explored beyond the fringes of that fearsome domain. They had planned to map its internal waterways and, if luck was with them, discover the lost temple of the Elder Magi. With sadness she tells of her father’s death in the jaws of a monster that had stalked them from the moment they had entered the jungle-swamp. She escaped but not unscathed. As she fought to free her father from the mouth of the beast she was badly burned by its caustic saliva. Carefully she removes one of her calf-skin gloves and reveals an injured hand. The sight of the angry red scar tissue fills you with compassion for this brave young woman.

Do we ask her some more questions about the Danarg, or leave her alone and go on our way?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Can't hurt to ask.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Let's find out more about this monster.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Got some questions for you, ma'am. First one, how can you help me avenge your father's death?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Pray tell me of this monster, so I may avoid it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Unfortunately, she lost all her maps and equipment while escaping from the Danarg. However, she clearly recalls seeing the Temple of Ohrido from the peak of a hill she calls ‘The Scarlet Tor’, which is situated on an island of firm ground, thirty miles beyond the Syada track. You thank her for her help and wish her good fortune before leaving the shop and continuing on your way.

You arrive at a flagstoned quadrangle. It is well lit by street lanterns, which hang from the first-floor balcony of a large and unusual building constructed of blue stone, with silver and scarlet veins running through it. The bricks have been polished to give a mirror-like shine. A huge wooden door banded with copper dominates the entrance, above which a bronze cast depicts a flaming broadsword with the words ‘TEMPLE OF THE SWORD’ engraved along the blade.

Beyond the temple, a street ascends to a stone watchtower. It is built on the peak of a hill and dominates the town.

To the left of the main door you notice three symbols engraved in the speckled blue stone: a bed, a horse, and a loaf of bread. You recognize their significance, for you have seen similar markings on hostels and monasteries during your travels in the east. By displaying these symbols the monks of this temple offer travellers a meal, stabling for their horses, and a bed for the night.
Shall we take them up on this offer, or head instead toward the watchtower?

You only recognise the symbols if you have Pathsmanship.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We have a SWORD and we wish them to worship it. Take them up on the offer.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go for the Watchtower.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

We'll rest when we're dead. All along the watchtower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Surely the good brothers of the sword wouldn't stab us. Let's accept their hospitality.