Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Der Kyhe posted:

...But you should make fun of the Japanese game companies, who still keep designing games for Japanese-only audiences, and keep painting themselves into corners like this. Literally everyone else in the world has no problems making text-switching or video dubbing work, but I guess thats just the way the dishonorable bignose foreigners do so they cannot do that.

Sadly odd restrictions related to voice overs isn't unique to Japanese developers, it just shows in different ways. The most common thing is long running series abruptly changing important VAs because the devs are fascinated with the idea that the VA should also do all the motion capture(ignoring that those are quite different skills).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

There’s a side quest in Horizon Zero Dawn where you have to find two power cells to unlock a bunker containing a cool treasure. Power cells are rare doodads that you can only find in certain dungeons. After hours of adventuring I had the two I needed, travelled back to the bunker, opened the door and... was immediately told I’d need another three power cells to actually get the treasure.

Why didn’t it just tell me I needed five in the first place? Aargh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inferior posted:

There’s a side quest in Horizon Zero Dawn where you have to find two power cells to unlock a bunker containing a cool treasure. Power cells are rare doodads that you can only find in certain dungeons. After hours of adventuring I had the two I needed, travelled back to the bunker, opened the door and... was immediately told I’d need another three power cells to actually get the treasure.

Why didn’t it just tell me I needed five in the first place? Aargh.

If it makes you feel any better, you can't actually get all the power cells until the second to last mission in the game. The shield armor is more of an EZ mode button for the final act and an incentive to try out NG+. Here are the locations of all 5 power cells in case you want to hunt them down:

1. Ruins in the starting area that Aloy fell into as a child.
2. Side room in the cave beneath Mother's Cradle. Don't worry if you didn't get this one yet, you return here at a later point in the story.
3. Tower at the very top of Maker's End.
4. Shaft in the Grave-Hoards, almost impossible to miss.
5. Ruins in the quest The Mountain That Fell, in a side room down and to the left of where you take the zipline.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

...But you should make fun of the Japanese game companies, who still keep designing games for Japanese-only audiences, and keep painting themselves into corners like this. Literally everyone else in the world has no problems making text-switching or video dubbing work, but I guess thats just the way the dishonorable bignose foreigners do so they cannot do that.
It was 18 years ago. You notice that later FF games didn't have these problems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's easy to forget now but FFX was really the first game of its scale to get full VA, which more or less became the industry standard for any RPG project with a budget bigger than a toaster. Some rough patches were inevitable, but it was really an impressive technical achievement for the time.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

exquisite tea posted:

It's easy to forget now but FFX was really the first game of its scale to get full VA, which more or less became the industry standard for any RPG project with a budget bigger than a toaster. Some rough patches were inevitable, but it was really an impressive technical achievement for the time.

I remember when it first came out, I could see the individual teeth in Tidus' mouth, and how loving amazing that was to me. The voice acting was extremely impressive, too. I had a cousin who couldn't read very well and he was pumped, because he could play this game and actually know what was going on.

Honestly, I think if they did a remake of that game, to update the voice acting and make it as pretty as XV, it would sell like hot cakes.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

If it makes you feel any better, you can't actually get all the power cells until the second to last mission in the game. The shield armor is more of an EZ mode button for the final act and an incentive to try out NG+. Here are the locations of all 5 power cells in case you want to hunt them down:
That’s good to know at least. HZD is great, but it does have a few annoying problems.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I remember when it first came out, I could see the individual teeth in Tidus' mouth, and how loving amazing that was to me. The voice acting was extremely impressive, too. I had a cousin who couldn't read very well and he was pumped, because he could play this game and actually know what was going on.

Honestly, I think if they did a remake of that game, to update the voice acting and make it as pretty as XV, it would sell like hot cakes.

They already did a remake? It's even on the PC

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Subnautica just hit it's 1.0 official release and for god knows what reason, STILL doesn't have an autosave feature.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They already did a remake? It's even on the PC
And aside from some low res textures and pre rendered backgrounds it holds up quite well imo

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Feb 2, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Leavemywife posted:

I dunno what I remember when I first played the game was how goddamn long it took for anything to happen. For the first few hours, the game was just

*walk around a bit*
15 minute cutscene
*fight a group of enemies or something*
10 minute cutscene
*walk down a path*
10 minute cutscene

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I dunno what I remember when I first played the game was how goddamn long it took for anything to happen. For the first few hours, the game was just

*walk around a bit*
15 minute cutscene
*fight a group of enemies or something*
10 minute cutscene
*walk down a path*
10 minute cutscene

That is fair. I'll give you that.

DP, I meant a full remake, not the re-release they did.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm about half way through Infamous on PS3 and man that game loves to put tiny men on rooftops to relentlessly snipe at you. Like, not just in particular places but throughout the entire loving game.

Want to start a mission? Well, run halfway across town past dozens of snipers. Then once you start the mission you get to run halfway back (past a load of snipers) to the mission area, which is filled with even more loving snipers.

It's infuriating. Even worse they don't stand still and snipe, they take a shot then retreat so you can't see where it came from, the pop back out after 10 seconds to have another go. Have fun getting shot to ribbons if there's more than one around as you'll never figure out where they are without getting shot at least 5 times.

Seriously thinking of just dropping it and starting on the sequel now :argh:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I don't know if this is more of a peeve or what, but I'm really hating all of the damage confirm bullshit in FPS games these days. Battlefield 1 has a damage confirm marker, a kill confirm marker, a damage confirm sound, a kill confirm sound, nametags for enemies/friends, a 3d spotting system, an XP ticker for every piece of damage you do, and a box of text telling you exactly what you're doing. Nevermind how ugly and bloated UIs in shooters have gotten, but I think a lot of this stuff has unintended balance side effects. No agency is given to the player. I mean, I can just throw a grenade over a wall, and know where people are just because of the crap that pops up on my screen when it damages them, and that's kind of stupid.

EA seems to think the BF series is this hardcore tactical shooter, but you have to play the games in this spastic sprint-ADS-sprint style with your screen manically panning everywhere because the game is just like "YOU DAMAGED HIM KEEP SHOOTING HE'S DEAD MOVE ON SPRINT ADS GO GO."

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Everything about Final Fantasy X aged badly. I'm playing the PC remaster and I'm enjoying it just for the amount of content they put in those games but boy:

1) Cutscenes unskippable. The remaster has an autosave feature which helps a lot with the amount bullshit in the combat system so you can just redo your last fight. But check this. Every big boss fight has a cutscene where characters stand around and gasp and generally talk about how they need to protect Yuna (there's so much loving talking about protecting Yuna). And then you get to a boss fight to die on the last phase of an extremely boring dps race and do all of that again.

2) The combat system is the last one done in the classic FF style. Now jrpgs in general tend to be pretty grindy but it's super bad in this game. In the remaster you can speed up the battles 4x, have your ultimates always charged and that helps a lot to cut down the tedium. But you still have to hit a HP threshold for the part of the game you're in. This means you'll come to a moment where a boss straight up kills one of your characters each time they take a turn. Just pure damage can't do much about it except grind until you hit enough HP nodes.
So in the remaster I can blast an ultimate every single turn, I get healed and refilled with mana every single turn. I can grand summon every single turn and do 9999 damage (game maxium in one attack). I need to overcome this boss who just combos me to death by just dealing more damage I can take in one turn. So easy enough I'll just grind and level up enough to be able to take a punch. Again Im autohealed every turn, the animations go 4x as fast, so I start farming xp and I'm dead. Apparently protection from petrification is not 100% so the last hour of me grinding is gone. But not only the process of grinding the actual distribution of skills and attributes is a grind in itself

3) My fave, allocating skills and attributes. You need to press a to select your position, a popup appears with [USE/MOVE], you choose MOVE then you select the place on the levelup map you want to move to. Confirm? [Y/N]. Press the button again, now select [USE] and select one of the spheres. This selection especially makes no sense because if its a power node, you can only use a power sphere. You have to manually scroll and select a power sphere. Now the same for mana node. Do this 3 times and go back to the beginning. You have to do this whole process every 3 nodes. You spend exactly the same amount of time if you do it in bulk or perpetually. You have 7 characters you need to do this for.
Now check this: With the combat 4x speed multiplier in the remaster, you gain levels faster than it takes to allocate those levelups.

And you need to do it next to a save spot because you never know when the RNG decides to kill off your whole party and you lose an hour of moving circles in a menu.

Vic has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Feb 2, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The combat and sphere grid are good.

Also blitzball is forever good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah they're pretty good

quote:

You are a satan

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vic posted:

1) Cutscenes unskippable. The remaster has an autosave feature which helps a lot with the amount bullshit in the combat system so you can just redo your last fight. But check this. Every big boss fight has a cutscene where characters stand around and gasp and generally talk about how they need to protect Yuna (there's so much loving talking about protecting Yuna). And then you get to a boss fight to die on the last phase of an extremely boring dps race and do all of that again.

This is the worst part about the more difficult lategame plot fights like Seymour v. 3.0 and Yunalesca who both have ridiculously long cutscenes before their fights.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have literally run down every street in Kamurocho and I cannot find Majima anywhere. It's chapter 6 and I've only seen him like three times, let me fight you you dork

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Danaru posted:

I have literally run down every street in Kamurocho and I cannot find Majima anywhere. It's chapter 6 and I've only seen him like three times, let me fight you you dork

There are certain story points in which he is not available at all. Can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but it's basically ones where he is actually involved in the main plot in some way.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Morpheus posted:

There are certain story points in which he is not available at all. Can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but it's basically ones where he is actually involved in the main plot in some way.

He DID get impaled with a knife a little while ago, maybe he's still sleeping that off. Apparently I'm pretty close to the end of the chapter so maybe I'll just rush the story until he starts showing up again.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yardbomb posted:

Agreed. Blitzball ruled. The starting team sucks but it's easy enough to get them ridiculously overpowered. Or just throw them all out and hire some insanely talented players instead

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Agreed. Blitzball ruled. The starting team sucks but it's easy enough to get them ridiculously overpowered. Or just throw them all out and hire some insanely talented players instead

The starting team is actually really loving good, but not in the positions they play, or to start with. They take some time to get into their own; Keepa, for example, will wind up with 99 shot, and I think it's Botta who ends up as a strong goalie.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

That is fair. I'll give you that.

DP, I meant a full remake, not the re-release they did.
Ah ok, fair that

Convex posted:

I'm about half way through Infamous on PS3 and man that game loves to put tiny men on rooftops to relentlessly snipe at you. Like, not just in particular places but throughout the entire loving game.

Want to start a mission? Well, run halfway across town past dozens of snipers. Then once you start the mission you get to run halfway back (past a load of snipers) to the mission area, which is filled with even more loving snipers.

It's infuriating. Even worse they don't stand still and snipe, they take a shot then retreat so you can't see where it came from, the pop back out after 10 seconds to have another go. Have fun getting shot to ribbons if there's more than one around as you'll never figure out where they are without getting shot at least 5 times.

Seriously thinking of just dropping it and starting on the sequel now :argh:
Don't you have the countersniper power? Just shooting them back was usually fine

And I'd honestly play the first over the second story wise at least; if you just want pure good gameplay go straight to second son

Though I do still love the twists in the first infamous. They're pretty good

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ah ok, fair that
Don't you have the countersniper power? Just shooting them back was usually fine

And I'd honestly play the first over the second story wise at least; if you just want pure good gameplay go straight to second son

I have the slow motion sniper power yes but it uses loads of energy and also its so loving boring having to deal with snipers all the time. That said if the story is good I might as well stick with it, I dont plan on buying any more Ps3 games so might as well get the most out of what I have.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was 18 years ago. You notice that later FF games didn't have these problems.

Yes, but again in FF12 they decided to drop the entire DLC worth of content (stellar system etc) because they decided that that was too complicated for the western audiences.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Convex posted:

I have the slow motion sniper power yes but it uses loads of energy and also its so loving boring having to deal with snipers all the time. That said if the story is good I might as well stick with it, I dont plan on buying any more Ps3 games so might as well get the most out of what I have.
Honestly, aside from a few missions, you can usually just ignore enemies.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
First time in this thread, but I want to rant a bit... (fake edit: This ended up being way too long) So, everyone seems to really love Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and it has a certain charm, but it feels like the game is sabotaging itself at every turn. I really want to like it, but I don’t think I’ve found a JRPG this frustrating since the PS2.

1. The combat is tedious. Combat seems to be one of things people are praising the most, but it feels slow and needlessly complicated. Trash mobs can take over a minute to beat and are all over the map. The combat itself revolves around using auto-attacks to charge a bar to use specials to charge a bar to use super moves that you chain together to put seals on enemies that you burst when another meter charges to deal damage. It is slow and there are virtually no interesting decisions to make. The progression of super moves is something, but your dumb AI companions aren’t always super cooperative there. Everything else is auto-pilot. There is a thing about timing specials during an attack, but the timing is so trivial that it might as well not exist, it just makes you space your moves out. Once you have a combo that works you just repeat it ad nauseum for basically every fight. It'd be okay if there was't an endless number of fights in your path.

2. The overcomplication flows into the rest of the game. I have never seen such a barrage of systems in a game, almost none of which actually add anything to the experience. Some of your EXP is only applied when you stay at an Inn, but only from certain activities. Why? You have EXP, blade affinity, skill points and one character only upgrades through grinding an 8bit minigame. You can buy ownership in a store once you buy all of its items, but those only unlock as you level up the town itself. You can equip cores to your blades to boost stats but you need to first go to gathering points to get materials to activate the cores at a shop, preventing you from selling anything for fear you may need it to activate your next upgrade. When you do sell things, you can group them up at certain shops to sell for slightly more money. Every single interaction with this game is bogged down with some kind of mechanic, but the mechanics never have you make an interesting decision or trade-off. They just exist to make the game more complicated and they are endless I have never seen a game throw so many tutorials at me.

3. The game is miserable to navigate. I appreciate a game about exploration, I can appreciate a game that doesn’t hold your hand. XC2 doesn’t give you an exciting world to explore though, it gives you a very pretty world that is largely empty of anything but overlong battles. You aren’t ever given good in game directions or landmarks for your missions, just pointers on your compass, but you will frequently run into roadblocks, random areas of enemies much higher level than you or weird side paths you have to take. The result is you wandering around aimlessly in the vague direction of your pointer until you find the correct path that doesn’t lead to a dead end or deathtrap.

4. Blades are acquired through a gacha-like random system, complete with rare blades and weaker generic commons. There aren’t microtransactions, but that is what it plays like and it is a frustrating system. They are also tied to whatever character unlocks them unless you use an incredibly limited item to swap them. (also the protag can use anything because reasons) I have no idea why this is, because the random nature means you can’t plan anything aside from influencing (but only partially) the elemental outcome with items. Blades are key to your progression and are the core of planning your team. You’ll want certain elemental and role combinations on your team. Leaving this up to luck is just a miserable experience. The constant stream of faceless blades you end up recycling also really undercuts the game’s theme of friendship and bonding.

I have some issues with the narrative, the voice work and the performance of the game too, but gameplay wise there is just so much going on and it all just seems to be there to keep me from having any fun with the game. Still, inexplicably there is some aspect of this game I really want to like that has made me keep coming back to it until now. I would like a new action RPG for me to play on the Switch and this one has some pretty decent production values, but the more I have played it the less I like it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think pretty much everyone agrees with you. Its a confusing set of time wasting systems that dont interact mixed with godawful ui and navigation features and a story that doesnt really start happening until the last chapter of the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ah ok, fair that

2’s story was pretty excellent, in my opinion. I also really liked the open world, it did a lot to differentiate neighborhoods and make different areas feel unique. The giant size enemies late-game are also a lot of fun to fight. The whole series is pretty excellent, though. I really want another one though I guess the devs are doing a samurai game next.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
While the first xenoblade chronicles got a lot of acclaim I've actually found few who seem to like the second.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of Nintendo and things dragging games down, I hate how expensive their poo poo is. I bought a 3DS because I have a lot of downtime at work. The price of the system wasn’t terrible (120ish for a used New 2DS), but even used copies of games are like 30 bucks a pop, and anything on the eShop is gonna be like 40. I can buy games from last year for my PS4 for around 8-10 bucks sometimes.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Barudak posted:

I think pretty much everyone agrees with you. Its a confusing set of time wasting systems that dont interact mixed with godawful ui and navigation features and a story that doesnt really start happening until the last chapter of the game.

RagnarokAngel posted:

While the first xenoblade chronicles got a lot of acclaim I've actually found few who seem to like the second.

Ahh, well it came recommended to me and I saw a fair amount of positive reviews. I was baffled, but glad to see I'm not alone.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Vic posted:

3) My fave, allocating skills and attributes. You need to press a to select your position, a popup appears with [USE/MOVE], you choose MOVE then you select the place on the levelup map you want to move to. Confirm? [Y/N]. Press the button again, now select [USE] and select one of the spheres. This selection especially makes no sense because if its a power node, you can only use a power sphere. You have to manually scroll and select a power sphere. Now the same for mana node. Do this 3 times and go back to the beginning. You have to do this whole process every 3 nodes. You spend exactly the same amount of time if you do it in bulk or perpetually. You have 7 characters you need to do this for.
Now check this: With the combat 4x speed multiplier in the remaster, you gain levels faster than it takes to allocate those levelups.

I tested it once with cheats; it took half an hour to activate every node on the unmodified grid for one character.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i can not make barack obama in dragon ball xenoverse 2

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Death Zebra posted:

I tested it once with cheats; it took half an hour to activate every node on the unmodified grid for one character.

Sweet Jesus.

Final Fantasy X: Literally 3.5 hours of mashing the level up button.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Death Zebra posted:

:shepface: but did you use the various orbs to turn all the empty slots into stat slots to max out all of your stats?

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

MrAptronym posted:

The absolute loving truth

I love so many parts of this game, but every point you've hit is dead on.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Owlboy is pretty cool from what I've played and I don't get why people are so hard on it (yet)... except that it has no map apparently?? How can you make a Metroidvania without a map?

And it feels like they're making fun of me for wanting a map because at the start of the game someone's trying to invent some kinda auto-mapping device. Heck, I thought maybe I'll be getting such a thing later, except that looking on the net I see nothing about an in-game map.

I'm gonna keep playing, but if they missed out on such an obvious thing I'm kinda worried about what else they'll mess up (though I wanna run into any such mishaps blind, so if you've got more late-game complaints please put it behind spoilers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Getting thrown all the way back to the loving bonfire every time you die.