Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Crazy Mike posted:

I'm leaning towards "the poors should not breed" myself, especially in this age of wealth inequality, environmental stress, and technological birth control. After all, I don't want to take sex away from poor people. It's one of the things they can enjoy almost as well as the rich.

I'm also not a fan of this push for government mandated paid family leave. If you can not finance your 12 weeks of FMLA, perhaps that's a clue you should be on birth control until your finances improve.

I would also take it one step further and like to see those on TANF/SNAP benefits on mandatory birth control.

Because I do have some compassion, and a soft spot for children, I would support an increase in the cash value of TANF/SNAP benefits, but I would want that contingent on accountability measures such as mandatory birth control more so than able bodied work requirements or drug testing.

I understand this is a controversial opinion but do not understand why it is so controversial that it is rarely spoken aloud. Is there room for debate on whether and by how much should government and society discourage poor people from conceiving more poor people?

I'd rather we restrict people like your parents from breeding because they created this poo poo right here but we've long decided that human beings don't get to tell each other when and how they should or should not reproduce because individually and collectively, human being are biased irrational idiots who do awful awful things to one another

So tough poo poo for me I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol I was really drunk and feeling feisty, posting like a jackass for no reason earlier, but this is exciting now

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Crazy Mike posted:

I understand this is a controversial opinion but do not understand why it is so controversial that it is rarely spoken aloud. Is there room for debate on whether and by how much should government and society discourage poor people from conceiving more poor people?

That debate wrapped up fairly conclusively in 1945.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Or you could just make it so having a kid isn't a financial death sentence if you're barely making 6 figures.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Not only that but just because someone is poor doesn't automatically entitle non poors to legislate or meter out said person's fundamental rights and autonomy of their body

:cmon: this is ethics 101 kind of poo poo

But yeah the "system" is what is rotten, not human beings' core instinctual drive lol

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

n8r posted:

Or you could just make it so having a kid isn't a financial death sentence if you're barely making 6 figures.

Are you suggesting that $100,001 or more per year makes you rich or something?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Crazy Mike posted:

I'm leaning towards "the poors should not breed" myself, especially in this age of wealth inequality, environmental stress, and technological birth control. After all, I don't want to take sex away from poor people. It's one of the things they can enjoy almost as well as the rich.

I'm also not a fan of this push for government mandated paid family leave. If you can not finance your 12 weeks of FMLA, perhaps that's a clue you should be on birth control until your finances improve.

I would also take it one step further and like to see those on TANF/SNAP benefits on mandatory birth control.

Because I do have some compassion, and a soft spot for children, I would support an increase in the cash value of TANF/SNAP benefits, but I would want that contingent on accountability measures such as mandatory birth control more so than able bodied work requirements or drug testing.

Did John Smith get a new account?

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7upf7o/my_former_place_of_employment_shut_down_without/
My former place of employment shut down without notice, still owes me money. How do I do my taxes?

I had a serving job this past year at a restaurant that went bankrupt. The government seized the business, deemed it not profitable, and the place was shut down without notice. Aside from the fact that they owe me over $1000, I haven’t heard anything and have no idea how to file my taxes this year. I’m in King County, Washington. Help!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 2, 2018

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

That debate wrapped up fairly conclusively in 1945.

Haha no it didn't at all, not even close. People in United States were involuntarily sterilized until the 1980s, forced sterilization with essentially genocidal intent was performed on indigenous people of Peru in the late 1990s, and and some countries, for example Bangladesh, are still doing it today almost exclusively to poor people and refugees. Of course it wouldn't surprise you in the least to learn that in almost every instance these programs are eventually viewed as atrocities against human rights targeted against vulnerable populations no matter what the stated or actual intent is.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

And now we rehash this argument.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Crazy Mike posted:

Ideal username/post combo.

hailthefish posted:

And now we rehash this argument.

:thejoke:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Absolutely the bottom of the middle class.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Crazy Mike posted:

eugenics is generally considered monstrously evil

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That is true. On the other hand, condemning your children to misery and poverty is cool and good.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That is true. On the other hand, condemning your children to misery and poverty is cool and good.

what if it's society condemning your children to misery and poverty or even worse non existence. makes u thnk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Or you could have better social services so those children are better supported and cared for.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

No one should have children, they're BWM. Unless they become rich, then they're GWM (as long as you don't do something terrible to them and they decide to cut you out of their lives).

More on topic, the trucker can't afford that $3.5k laptop even if he had a job, jesus.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You all are a bunch of dumb motherfuckers taking that bait.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Hoodwinker posted:

You all are a bunch of dumb motherfuckers taking that bait.

Yeah right says the guy who was forcibly sterilized for having an AGI below 250k during the recession . We know you're salty for having your nuts clipped.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Audax posted:

Yeah right says the guy who was forcibly sterilized for having an AGI below 250k during the recession . We know you're salty for having your nuts clipped.

Please don't doxx me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
All men are created equal, except the poor, gently caress the poor they stay poor forever.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SiGmA_X posted:

Did John Smith get a new account?
Nah. I don't really see the point of expressing my far-right views on such a left / far-left platform. Doesn't seem productive, since the audience are already familiar with these views (just simply disagree strongly with them). Just let people be entitled to their own views.

I do however feel bad for some of those people asking for career advice at SA though. So much of the advice seems to be very very very bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This derail needs a heaping pile of Tiny Bronto right now.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

This derail needs a heaping pile of Tiny Bronto right now.

Oh god please no.

BWM: paying over $3k for dialup service that you didn't use for the last 10 years:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5pk94w/my_dad_just_figured_out_hes_been_paying_30month/?st=jd5zq1qc&sh=f3936b9c

quote:

The bill was being autopaid on his credit card. I think he was aware he was paying it (I'm assuming), but not sure that he really knew why. Or he forgot about it as I don't believe he receives physical bills in the mail and he autopays everything through his card.

He's actually super smart financially. Budgets his money, is on track to retire next year (he's 56 now), uses a credit card for all his spending for points, and owns approximately 14 rental properties.

I don't think he's used dial up for at least the last 10....15 years? Anything he can do other than calling and cancelling now?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Haha no it didn't at all, not even close. People in United States were involuntarily sterilized until the 1980s, forced sterilization with essentially genocidal intent was performed on indigenous people of Peru in the late 1990s, and and some countries, for example Bangladesh, are still doing it today almost exclusively to poor people and refugees. Of course it wouldn't surprise you in the least to learn that in almost every instance these programs are eventually viewed as atrocities against human rights targeted against vulnerable populations no matter what the stated or actual intent is.

Israel was forcing and/or tricking Ethiopian Jewish immigrant women into getting birth control implants as late as 2012-2013. Because irony is one of the driving forces of the universe

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Why does this thread seem to encourage so many people to come out of the woodwork with their "eugenics might be a good idea" posts?

"Professional" gaming and streaming aspirations are going to gently caress up a generation of nerds

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4az46q/i_quit_my_engineer_job_to_play_video_games/ posted:

I quit my engineer job to play video games

In a move branded by many as "insane" and "F-ing stupid", I, Hutts, recently quit my engineering job to be a full time gamer. This is not meant to be self promotion, but to talk about why I decided to follow my dreams of gaming rather than take a safe, well-paid 9-5 job.

To sum up what pushed me to quit my job, I felt as though I deserved more recognition and respect in my field than I was given. It might have been the way that I look (styled hair, well-dressed, moderately fit(?)), might have been my "do the job immediately, slack until given more work" attitude, but it appeared that my job wasn't going anywhere and I had no professional respect despite the fact I was doing 3x what my position was supposed to. So either I was going to look for another electrical engineering position, or find something else to do.

Luckily I had been working two jobs at the time -- One being a let's player on YouTube/Twitch. I always dreamed of becoming a full time YouTuber/streamer so much so that I would sit and think about it all day everyday at my "real" job. So I ran the numbers, talked to financial advisers about having my own home business, and most dauntingly, convinced my girlfriend and parents that it was a good move to go full time YouTube/Twitch. I was so worried about bringing this up to my dad, the same man who paid for my 4 year degree in electrical engineering... :| But when I told him that I was not happy and that I could make even more money playing video games, he of course saw reason and supported me.

I have gotten so much support from my following, but the biggest negative feedback I'm getting is, "why the hell did you quit your good job to be a poor gamer??" I have no idea how people think there is no money in gaming considering how much people like pewdiepie and markiplier have been on the news. As an engineer, I could make anywhere from 50K to 150K (in Minnesota where I live) in increments of promotions from engineer 1 to senior staff engineer. But if I worked my butt off or did anything groundbreaking like invented the best technology, it belongs to the company I work for, and I MIGHT get a promotion. However, as a youtuber/streamer, I can make anywhere from 0 to 5M a year, and every ounce of extra work is attributed to nobody but me. I stand to make even more money potentially (as of now it's a lot closer to 0 lolRIP). But this is what I'm passionate about! I'm following my dreams! Where's the cheesy Disney music I was promised?

I am going to go for my dreams. Yes I gave up all my money, but it's about going after what makes you happy in life, not what makes you money. By the time you get that money you might be so old and jaded to have fun with it. We as a society put WAY too much emphasis on the goals we have to reach and how much happier we will be once we get there. And we make new goals before we even reach the old goals so we never reach it in the first place! I can't tell you how many times I've heard (and thought myself), "man, when I finish school I will be so happy", which turns into "man, when I just get a job I will be so happy", to "man, when I start to make 100K I will be so happy." We live this way because we aren't doing what makes us happy at the moment but what we think will make us happy later. But all we have is right now. It's about enjoying life as it is, not what your life could be. Enjoy the ride, not the destination.

Being a YouTuber/streamer might fail miserably. I might have to get another engineering job if this doesn't pan out. But at least I can say that I went for it. I tried. I'm 25 years old, it's not too late to start over. I hope you find the strength to go for what makes you happy as well. And don't forget, ENJOY THE RIDE!!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DJCobol posted:

Oh god please no.

BWM: paying over $3k for dialup service that you didn't use for the last 10 years:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5pk94w/my_dad_just_figured_out_hes_been_paying_30month/?st=jd5zq1qc&sh=f3936b9c

Wouldn't his credit card have expired sometime in the last 10 years? That would have stopped those auto payments pretty quick. I just got a new credit card, and I forgot how annoying it is to go to all these things that get charged to my CC every month and get them updated.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Inept posted:

Why does this thread seem to encourage so many people to come out of the woodwork with their "eugenics might be a good idea" posts?

"Professional" gaming and streaming aspirations are going to gently caress up a generation of nerds

Chasing your dreams is BWM.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Photex posted:

What if my dreams are aggressive budgeting and savings goals? What then!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

What if my dreams are aggressive budgeting and savings goals? What then!
Guillotine.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
maybe there is a third option between "eugenics" and "condemned to growing in poverty"

I wonder if anyone could show the way

like, someone in northern Europe.

or 25.5 million someones

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Photex posted:

Get better dreams.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

maybe there is a third option between "eugenics" and "condemned to growing in poverty"

I wonder if anyone could show the way

like, someone in northern Europe.

or 25.5 million someones
That sounds terribly un-American. I won't accept it.

a red tail hawk screeches in the distance because Americans don't know bald eagles sound like this and several mega-tons of red, white, and blue fireworks are detonated

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

Photex posted:

fwiw at this point it looks like he has 200k Youtube subscribers and about 70k Twitch followers (not subscribers, mind you), which might be enough for a reasonable life in Minnesota

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Wouldn't his credit card have expired sometime in the last 10 years? That would have stopped those auto payments pretty quick. I just got a new credit card, and I forgot how annoying it is to go to all these things that get charged to my CC every month and get them updated.

A lot of times when a card “expires” they just issue a new physical card with the same number.

Even when a bank deactivates a card and reissues with a new number a lot of them provide a service where merchants can be notified of the new card number. I’ve had cards deactivated for fraud and some of the businesses I do recurring billing with had the new number before I did.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

the invention of money in the axial age caused a lotta peeps to go buttfuck insane
from this came the series of the first of the world religions, in the span between talmudic judaism to islam. which have blazingly obvious elements of the buttfuck insanity to them
whenever peeps talk about money, they go buttfuck insane. see how communism turned into atheist religion

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One of my employers had a recurring charge for a DSL line. It had been active for 14 years.

The DSL line was to a law office who we had hired to do some patent work for us 14 years ago, and we were covering their high speed internet bill while they were doing work for us back when that was pretty expensive.
Nobody bothered to cancel it, and the law firm moved offices later.

We paid $240/month to support a 1 megabit DSL line to an empty office for over 10 years, about $35k in completely wasted money.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

When did the “Chase your dreams, you can be anything you want! If you study hard and have a good work ethic you could be a great engineer/scientist/doctor/astronaut/etc” parental screed become “Chase your dreams, you can be anything you want! If you don’t like what you’re doing, drop it and do what you enjoy doing in your free time and you could be a great video game player/video game designer/play video games while being recorded for the entertainment of others/vlogger/blogger/etc!!! Everybody wants to hear your opinions and maybe you’ll make enough to cover rent!”

Of course there will be one person that everyone aspires to be (ie pewdiepie - which is not unlike selling someone on an MLM)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Inept posted:

Ain't this the truth. Even with the Blizzard Overwatch League finally guaranteeing a minimum salary (this year. of $50k. for people living in LA.) people are still spending the primes of their lives clicking a shoot button on a computer screen and not picking up any transferable skills. And this is the dream, to say nothing of people playing 20 hours a day trying to break through and GET to the pros. And then the 0.05% of them that do will be tossed on the street for some 17 year old in a few years once their reaction times start to slip past 100ms

And this is to say nothing of literal scams or underhanded management, both of which are only getting worse as more money pours into the industry.

I'm glad i'm already old and lovely at video games or i would have absolutely gotten suckered into this, to be completely honest. There's a real feeling of "Hey, I grew up playing video games when they weren't cool, I deserve to be paid for it now, other people are doing it!" that leads to some pretty insanely BWM mindsets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Inept posted:

Gary Larson was their prophet.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 2, 2018