Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Inept posted:

"Professional" gaming and streaming aspirations are going to gently caress up a generation of nerds

Who becomes an engineer for "recognition and respect in my field?" Isn't 99% of engineering just "get your small behind the scenes part of this job done so this project comes in on budget/time/spec" and be reasonably well compensated in return?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m glad professional streamers and pro gamers making a living underneath the Thr3sh / Fatal1ty level weren’t a thing when I was a kid. I wanted to be a pro gamer in my early teens, and then I quickly realized I just wasn’t good enough. If so many people were making a living when I was that age I probably wouldn’t have given up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yond Cassius posted:

Gary Larson was their prophet.

That was literally my first thought.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The higher your income, the significantly higher the cost of raising a child to 18.

Having money and kids is bwm

Being low income and having kids is gwm

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Elysium posted:

Who becomes an engineer for "recognition and respect in my field?" Isn't 99% of engineering just "get your small behind the scenes part of this job done so this project comes in on budget/time/spec" and be reasonably well compensated in return?

Despite that being the reality, it's not unreasonable to want to be excellent at what you do. Discovering a new technique or skill in an engineering profession is gratifying in its own right, even if you don't get directly monetarily compensated for it.

5 years ago I co-developed a particular computing pattern that in my preferred weird language gets referred to and replicated repeatedly to this day. When people cite my work as an influence and recommend to use that particular tool, it's gratifying, even if my day job doesn't even use that particular tool.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The higher your income, the significantly higher the cost of raising a child to 18.

Fully agreed. Birth without Medicaid costs anywhere from $3k-10k out of pocket, birth with Medicaid is free. Is it any wonder that the majority of births are covered by Medicaid now? http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/09/12/half_of_american_births_are_covered_by_medicaid_guess_who_s_to_blame.html

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Fully agreed. Birth without Medicaid costs anywhere from $3k-10k out of pocket, birth with Medicaid is free. Is it any wonder that the majority of births are covered by Medicaid now? http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/09/12/half_of_american_births_are_covered_by_medicaid_guess_who_s_to_blame.html
If you're a minority woman you can enjoy being given such substandard health car that your chance of death is as high as a developing country too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PraxxisParadoX posted:

fwiw at this point it looks like he has 200k Youtube subscribers and about 70k Twitch followers (not subscribers, mind you), which might be enough for a reasonable life in Minnesota

Good for him. He’s 25. That corporate job is still going to be there in a couple years if this doesn’t work.

And if he were to go into tech consulting or something after this the skills he’s learning by presenting to that large an audience are going to be super transferable.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
BWM becoming a YouTube streamer. GWM using a free Reddit platform to market you channels with a story that resonates with your core audience growing your subscriber base. If this guy is actually an EE he’d be able to go back to a real job whenever he wants.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Elysium posted:

Honestly 99% of engineering is making PowerPoints explaining to corporate/finance/legal/marketing why THIS is the way we need to do something

And then going back and redoing it because engineers aren’t great at explaining things to non-engineers and the audience decides to add dumb requirements to prove they’re smart and worth their salaries (and also because they’re needed, but don’t tell engineers that :ssh:)

That 1% designing and building things is really cool though

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

There's some insane harebrained scheme happening in my extended family that's almost certainly going to end up being bad with money, and possibly criminal.

Long story short, a relative of mine had his family business he co-owns equally with 3 other brothers actually amount to something. They've got a couple of patents and ongoing government contracts. Gossip is that they've found a buyer in the $2mil-$5mil range, so he has a windfall coming to him.

Problem is, the guy has significant personal debt and has been trapped in a marriage he hates for years. To get around this, a new company was incorporated that was owned only by his 3 brothers without him having any stake at all, all assets transferred to the new company, and the original company entirely dissolved... about 6 months ago. They have a gentleman's agreement with no paper trail that he will be able to buy back in his original 1/4 stake in the company for $1 at any point in the future, or just get paid out what he was owed from them in the future if the company is sold before then.

Last week he served his wife with really aggressive divorce papers from an MRA-focused divorce law firm, and he's been blabbing around to the family that he plans to declare bankruptcy after the divorce because other than the company, he's got basically no assets, so his wife will get absolutely nothing. This is in a community property state that almost never does alimony in any cases.

Anyway, I'm looking on from the distance and just hoping that everybody involved avoids prison. It seems like there's no way that divorce / bankruptcy law will let you hide ownership interest in a company like that, but I have no idea by what mechanism they could prove that he has any stake in the new company because the old company is entirely dead and gone.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
That sounds BWL but potentially GWM.

MRA have specialty law firms now?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The whole MRA movement grew out of "Dads' Rights" and men feeling screwed by family courts and divorce proceedings, so I daresay MRA law firms came before MRA-anything-else.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I see and hear ads for man-focused divorce attorneys all the time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

hailthefish posted:

The whole MRA movement grew out of "Dads' Rights" and men feeling screwed by family courts and divorce proceedings, so I daresay MRA law firms came before MRA-anything-else.

Are you saying MRAs didn't exist pre 70's when attorney advertisement was not allowed?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are you saying MRAs didn't exist pre 70's when attorney advertisement was not allowed?

reactionary movement has to react to a thing
reactionary movement didn't exist before the original movement it's reacting to won any significant victories, yes

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Probably in the same vein that sovereign citizens, religious fundamentalists and a lot of other groups have lawyers sympathetic to their cause and/or as members of the movement.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Twerk from Home posted:

There's some insane harebrained scheme happening in my extended family that's almost certainly going to end up being bad with money, and possibly criminal.

Long story short, a relative of mine had his family business he co-owns equally with 3 other brothers actually amount to something. They've got a couple of patents and ongoing government contracts. Gossip is that they've found a buyer in the $2mil-$5mil range, so he has a windfall coming to him.

Problem is, the guy has significant personal debt and has been trapped in a marriage he hates for years. To get around this, a new company was incorporated that was owned only by his 3 brothers without him having any stake at all, all assets transferred to the new company, and the original company entirely dissolved... about 6 months ago. They have a gentleman's agreement with no paper trail that he will be able to buy back in his original 1/4 stake in the company for $1 at any point in the future, or just get paid out what he was owed from them in the future if the company is sold before then.

Last week he served his wife with really aggressive divorce papers from an MRA-focused divorce law firm, and he's been blabbing around to the family that he plans to declare bankruptcy after the divorce because other than the company, he's got basically no assets, so his wife will get absolutely nothing. This is in a community property state that almost never does alimony in any cases.

Anyway, I'm looking on from the distance and just hoping that everybody involved avoids prison. It seems like there's no way that divorce / bankruptcy law will let you hide ownership interest in a company like that, but I have no idea by what mechanism they could prove that he has any stake in the new company because the old company is entirely dead and gone.

spoiler alert: even if he does get through the divorce without owing anything he'll get hosed as soon as he's let back on board the money train

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Twerk from Home posted:

Either the ex wife's attorney, bankruptcy court, or the IRS gonna gently caress this guy over I predict.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

spoiler alert: even if he does get through the divorce without owing anything he'll get hosed as soon as he's let back on board the money train

How, though? In a state that doesn't do alimony they can't really reach into nebulous future income.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Twerk from Home posted:

How, though? In a state that doesn't do alimony they can't really reach into nebulous future income.

"Intent to defraud" tie-in maybe?

I am not even close to a lawyer so take that with a few tons of salt

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wouldn't his stake in that business actually be 1/8 since the wife would be getting half?yet he's doing this sketchy poo poo that's gonna raise some red flags with his lenders and the IRS. It sounds greedy and selfish. If the marriage was so bad then just give her what the law says she is entitled to and chalk it up to the cost of getting out of an unhappy marriage.

Plus, since all of this was some gentleman's agreement what's stopping his siblings from shafting him?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Wouldn't his stake in that business actually be 1/8 since the wife would be getting half?yet he's doing this sketchy poo poo that's gonna raise some red flags with his lenders and the IRS. It sounds greedy and selfish. If the marriage was so bad then just give her what the law says she is entitled to and chalk it up to the cost of getting out of an unhappy marriage.

Plus, since all of this was some gentleman's agreement what's stopping his siblings from shafting him?

Yes, his 1/4 stake in the original, entirely defunct, formally dissolved business would become 1/8 for him and 1/8 for ex. However, the new business now has all of the IP, assets, and connections, and he has no ownership stake.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The most hilarious outcome would be his family loving him over and hitting him with a "LOL NO" when he comes back for the cash.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Not surprising. I know there are family lawyers that have a strong MRA bent to them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The most hilarious outcome would be his family loving him over and hitting him with a "LOL NO" when he comes back for the cash.

No, the most hilarious would be if they told him that his ex-wife had exercised her community property right to buy into the company for $1.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

IANAL

Dude has no assets other than his stake in this company, so he can't sit out over the long haul bumming around post-divorce. So either:

- Divorce court looks at circumstances of dissolution and where the assets are now, looks at ownership of the new company, says this is fairly obvious asset hiding and awards the wife 1/8th the liquidating value of the new company regardless of his present ownership interest. He owes that poo poo and immediately becomes ineligible for chapter 7 bankruptcy. Chapter 13 is only for people with a steady income and involves repaying the debtors, so wife's paid even if he successfully files chapter 13.

- Dude gets through divorce with his scheme working. Brothers freeze him out.

- Dude gets through divorce with his scheme working. Brothers let him back in for $1. After this much spite he will absolutely rub his victory in his wife's face. Wife's divorce attorney subpoenas his poo poo, carry on from first outcome as appropriate.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Unless the family has already completely frozen his wife out, she must know that the company is doing ok. Even if they have bragged about their patents or something at thanksgiving, she presumably knows that it isn't bankrupt and collapsing. So when they get to divorce and he smugly says 'Oh the company is dead it's been dead for six months' isn't she just going to say 'Hey wait, what happened, your brothers haven't said a word about that on facebook, no one is struggling to find a new job, your family venture just died and no one said anything and by the way, where have you been working for the last six months?' And then with the slightest scrutiny the whole thing unravels, and I am pretty sure judges do not appreciate people trying to be smart with the process.

He's going to end up like that dude that was jailed for contempt for ten years because he had tried to be so smart with his money everyone was convinced he still had more somewhere.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I can say from some experience that a business in the $2-5m range can be very difficult to sell - especially if you want all of the cash up front. There is a very good chance that the business isn't worth nearly what he thinks it is. Any money he thinks he is going to save will be eaten up with lawyers fees and back taxes. The best thing you could do for both of them is to totally rat him out to ex because that will probably stop the thing much sooner.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

IANAL, but I would think a less blatantly obvious scam would be:

Brothers collectively pay soon to be divorced husband $40k, or something like that, not too big, but not stupidly small, as a buyout from the original company.
Husband gets divorce, agrees to give wife half, so $20k.
Husband buys back in at $40k, and just sucks up that he is losing $20k with the divorce.

It would be undervaluing the worth of the company by a lot, considering he might be getting a $500k-$1.25 million buyout in the future, but at least it's not super obvious what they are trying to pull, and you can at least more easily argue that $40k is what they thought his share was worth at the time. $40k could be whatever number though, just picking a number.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No, the most hilarious would be if they told him that his ex-wife had exercised her community property right to buy into the company for $1.

That can't happen if nothing is in writing. I don't know if any laws have been broken yet, but I'm sure they will be once he declares he has no other interests in other businesses during the divorce.

Also, I don't know how it would work to buy into the company for $1 when it comes to taxes. Depending on how the new company is structured they may have a whole lot of problems for doing that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“Found a buyer in the $2M-$5M range” is an odd thing too. That’s a big range to be in play if there’s a buyer at the table.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I am sure there is a way to actually pull this off, but the sort of lawyer(s) you'd need to do this would probably want more than the entire value of his assets. I would do my best to get a valuation of the business that is as low as possible but actually plausible. You then pay off your ex her half of the assets based upon a bogus low number. You then turn around and sell off the business for the larger amount and end up walking away with a larger chunk of $$. All of that transferring assets for no money and buying into a business for $1 don't work with the IRS. You can't just arbitrarily make up values for things because the IRS wants to get paid.

I'd guess there are lookback periods for all of this poo poo, so he'd probably have to hold off on selling the business until years down the road when who knows what will happen to the value of the business.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tax law loves it when you gently caress around with the valuation of a company.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you set the valuation of the company at $2.5m - split between 3 people, it's hardly FU I'm retiring forever money. It's probably easiest to gently caress over the ex-wife not selling the business. poo poo like company vehicles and 'business trips' is probably easier than doing some business selling shell game that will 100% not work.

The best way to keep as much money as possible is to keep lawyers out of it as much as possible. It doesn't take long to burn through a pile of money at $300 an hour.

I thought this was a moderately interesting read about the subject:
https://www.rosen.com/property/particles/dividing-business-valuation/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Have high income, pretend to be poor IMO.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
So the Dow Jones took a dump, dropped 665 points. S&P 500 dropped 59.

Getting spooked and fireselling your 401k balance on Monday: BWM.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

This response is great:

quote:

[–]Silver-Monk_Shu 1 point 2 days ago
This doesn't sound like decentralized cryptocurrency AT ALL. gently caress that I'm not sharing them my wallets, I never agreed to it. What's next, they get access to the private key so at any time they can forcibly take your money from you? I'm not pussy enough to let them have that kind of power over me. They can try to jail me over $10, that's their problem. However that means they will have to get lots of innocent people to reach me. Countless people are participating in crypto who know nothing about this, or who have LOST their crypto, they will all go to jail if that's the case. I am playing my part, I report taxes. But I refuse to get gamed by them and surrendering my freedom because of some lovely law.

("Them" is the IRS. It's a further response to someone telling them that actively hiding your crypto money from the IRS is tax fraud, which is not something they should be telling the OP to commit.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Taxation is MTGOXing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Panfilo posted:

Either the ex wife's attorney, bankruptcy court, or the IRS gonna gently caress this guy over I predict.

Why not all 3?