Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah Ned asking Momma her secret was the funniest poo poo

EDIT: spoilered just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoyed from the latest episode "are you online?". Genuinely couldn't tell how much of that was ned and how much was clint

Line of the episode.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Now this is what I was waiting for. I love the character interaction, the Duck and Momma dialog was :discourse:. The part where the players planned the final battle all on their own was very cool. Does need more goofs though. I, too, thought that Ned was going to say that he tried to eat the weapon.

I was thinking about Amnesty and I realized that we don’t actually know what kind of monster Momma is, nor do we know her real name. I’d bet my bottom dollar that she’s actually Echidna of Greek myth.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Justin's FMV Quest is back from the dead with a slight retooling: our blessed new boy Brian is along for the ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEUQBvRgTMY

I hope they play the Goosebumps game with Jeff Goldblum eventually.

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013
Really missing the 5th host of The Polygon Show, Simone’s laugh.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Pronounced posted:

Really missing the 5th host of The Polygon Show, Simone’s laugh.

Simone's still with us, she's just bones now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-wDpCziOfc&t=1162s

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Now this is what I was waiting for. I love the character interaction, the Duck and Momma dialog was :discourse:. The part where the players planned the final battle all on their own was very cool. Does need more goofs though. I, too, thought that Ned was going to say that he tried to eat the weapon.

I was thinking about Amnesty and I realized that we don’t actually know what kind of monster Momma is, nor do we know her real name. I’d bet my bottom dollar that she’s actually Echidna of Greek myth.

I think it's been established that Momma's actually a human but I can't confirm that

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah I'm pretty sure Vincent the Goat Man said as much even if Mama's own backstory didn't seem to confirm that fact already.

Also I too for some reason briefly thought Ned/Clint was about to say "Eat the weapon" for some reason and it's weird that the reaction was so widespread considering how nonsensical that would be.

Edit: Griffin give your father the power of the Garfield insertion right now.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 2, 2018

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Dolash posted:

Edit: Griffin give your father the power of the Garfield insertion right now.

Well folks, we finally found the one who wrote the Garfhead/Pambody email.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Every so often I remember that the reason for Pam body was to make his crush on Garfield less gay and I laugh out loud.

It's a solution to the part nobody else thought was a problem.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Griffin was definitely hoping someone would suggest using the rabbit as bait right? that's what I was waiting for

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Loved this episode, got a few good lols out of me. Continue to love Ned and Duck, and as long as the rabbit isn't around, I can appreciate the contrast Aubrey brings to the group.

I feel like in order to get the funny/drama balance just right they'll have to do a longer thing and feel more solid on what they're doing.

e: alright I have to do it, I can't hold back anymore
DAMMIT TRAVIS, VASSAR DOESN'T HAVE PHD PROGRAMS!!! COLLEGES TYPICALLY DON'T, UNIVERSITIES TYPICALLY DO

e2: SHOW US THE DIPLOMA. BONKERS IS A loving FRAUD.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 2, 2018

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

"What do you do?" (so long as it's act under pressure)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Look at this Amnesty fanart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEhJh0WDWm0

EDIT: well I hosed that up real bad but at least there's a link to it now

Holy poo poo this is very good.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I’m just catching up on MBMBaM and holy poo poo, the Nasty Man saying “my wiiife” in his nasty voice is the funniest loving thing.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
ARE YOU READY FOR THE MEAT VIOLENCE WE CALL "WWE 2K18"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A8h-yhDRfU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

FAT BATMAN posted:

I’m just catching up on MBMBaM and holy poo poo, the Nasty Man saying “my wiiife” in his nasty voice is the funniest loving thing.

Nasty Man as a whole was great, but what gets me is not just that he said "my wife", but that he could not stop himself from saying it. He knew immediately that it was dumb, but he was just so nasty that he couldn't do anything about it.

e: Monster Factory always gets released while I'm at work and it makes me so mad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

“My wiiife” and the moment in the middle where someone was like “do you guys just wanna not do this this week?” were my highlights of the nasty man episode.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I think I found the short way to express their second live-show rule, after "no bummers":

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Dork457 posted:

"What do you do?" (so long as it's act under pressure)

To be fair, this is a product of the system rather than Griffin's DMing. PbtA only has like 6 rolls and typically one of them is exclusively reserved for spellcasting (or psychic powers or whatever the setting's equivalent of magic is) and given the nature of monster hunting, "act under pressure" is sort of your default state of being.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Oh poo poo, I didn't realise my boy Pat was in the latest Monster Factory. That's a nice surprise.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hargrimm posted:

I think I found the short way to express their second live-show rule, after "no bummers":

To be honest, I found with the liveshows that the Brothers don't do a great job of sticking to their own rules. Like the Seven Parrots story, they tell people to come up with problems but they're always most drawn to people with bizarre anecdotes they want to plumb all the details of over people with straightforward advice-show problems to solve

I'm still going through the backlog so maybe they've done this before but if anyone starts their story hedging their bets over it being a bummer or not they should really be immediately thanked and asked to sit down then call up someone else..

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I'd say they should stop the audience questions altogether but that would hurt their ticket sales from the desperate throngs of broke-brains who are sure if they tell the right anecdote, Clint will adopt them right there in the theatre so they can immediately tour with the newly renamed MBMBMBaM

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
That's all podcast audiences though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I think we're too far in to get rid of them.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

New Butt Order posted:

I'd say they should stop the audience questions altogether but that would hurt their ticket sales from the desperate throngs of broke-brains who are sure if they tell the right anecdote, Clint will adopt them right there in the theatre so they can immediately tour with the newly renamed MBMBMBaM

Hey man I think there is still somebody having fun over there, make sure to go get 'em too

Mbmbam is a show based on audience questions. When they do a live show, they take live audience questions. Otherwise it's a crowd of people sitting in on a recording session and what the gently caress is the point.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's a crowd of people sitting in on a recording session and what the gently caress is the point.

I ask this about most live podcasts but it hasn't stopped them from selling out shows. :shrug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s a live comedy show

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s a live comedy show

Um no if they can't ask live questions it's pointless.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

New Butt Order posted:

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Which part went overhead?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
There's this thing called stand up comedy where a person just stands on a stage and says funny things and all you do is sit there and listen. Why people pay for this I can't fathom

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Colonel Whitey posted:

There's this thing called stand up comedy where a person just stands on a stage and says funny things and all you do is sit there and listen. Why people pay for this I can't fathom

But this is objectively not mbmbam. The entire podcast is predicated on listener questions. It's literally their baseline format for comedy.

It's grown a ton and Yahoo's are equally important now, but saying they should cut audience questions from a podcast based on audience questions is weird.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
You know they could still do audience questions (like they do for the first half of the show already) and just not take live questions right? And it would still be a good and funny comedy show? I’m not even advocating for this because I think the audience questions are fine but acting like it would somehow make the show entirely pointless is insane

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Back when comedy bang bang used to play Would You Rather all the time, they played based off listener-submitted questions, but they didn’t open it up to the audience at live shows, and the shows still sold out. It’d be the same situation as that imo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Back when comedy bang bang used to play Would You Rather all the time, they played based off listener-submitted questions, but they didn’t open it up to the audience at live shows, and the shows still sold out. It’d be the same situation as that imo

They didn't play 4 games of Would Your Rather per episode, though. Like, Improv 4 Humans takes (took?) audience suggestions for their scenes during live shows, because people go to the shows with a reasonable level of expectation of audience interaction.

There's really no perfect way to go about audience questions, but they're still too big a draw to the live shows to be removed entirely. They also are good more often than not. Maybe have them write questions on pieces of paper before the show, throw those pieces of paper into a bowl, and have the brothers draw 3 at random. They give them a quick read to themselves so that nobody thinks their question wasn't good enough or something, and then decide on which.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The latest Monster Factory is *murdering* me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpacePig posted:

They didn't play 4 games of Would Your Rather per episode, though. Like, Improv 4 Humans takes (took?) audience suggestions for their scenes during live shows, because people go to the shows with a reasonable level of expectation of audience interaction.

There's really no perfect way to go about audience questions, but they're still too big a draw to the live shows to be removed entirely. They also are good more often than not. Maybe have them write questions on pieces of paper before the show, throw those pieces of paper into a bowl, and have the brothers draw 3 at random. They give them a quick read to themselves so that nobody thinks their question wasn't good enough or something, and then decide on which.

I don’t know that i4h is the best comparison though; there’s a difference between asking for a one word suggestion and then picking out the best one that the crowd shouts out, versus selecting one person at random and giving them a tremendous amount of control over how funny the next segment is going to be allowed to be before you know what they’re planning to say. Although Matt besser is prone to doing that on the non-live i4h eps too so maybe it’s a good comparison after all

Anyway overall I’d agree that audience questions are good more often than bad right now so I don’t care but I’m just saying that if the podcast and it’s audience reaches a point where all the audience questions are just people trying to out-joke the hosts, it’s not gonna kill the show if they don’t do them anymore and switch to a format that allows them to vet first.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

JT Jag posted:

The latest Monster Factory is *murdering* me

It's fine and all, I just wish they spent less time on the character creation part and more time playing the game while telling jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

creationist believer posted:

It's fine and all, I just wish they spent less time on the character creation part and more time playing the game while telling jokes.

what the poo poo is wrong with you and your awful opinions you monster

No clearly I'm joking, to each their own. I really enjoy the monster creation aspect and if they're doing multiple episodes, I'm fine taking the first one and dedicating it to all the teeth options they can look at.