Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

orange sky posted:

what if I have a token that is 100% I swear worth one BTC* will you ban someone for me

*it's not

*Jeffrey puts on evil genie hat*
*Bans you*

"You are 'someone' and I'm doing it for you(r own good)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Twitter is having fun with the HODLers

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I will use my mod powers to ban any one person you want for 1 BTC each.

When is the BANCOIN ico?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
When my grand kids ask me about the stock market crash of '18 it's going to be hard to hold a straight face and tell them about Bitcoin.

So I'm just going to show them this forum thread.

joats fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 2, 2018

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you know when you really think about it bitcoin isn't such a bad word.

you have bit, which is like a small amount of something, and coin, which is always good

so small amount of coins, like if you're broke

wait it's actually really bad

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Dolphin posted:

you know when you really think about it bitcoin isn't such a bad word.

you have bit, which is like a small amount of something, and coin, which is always good

so small amount of coins, like if you're broke

wait it's actually really bad

Coins are bad for filling up uvery crack in my lovely car.

They are also midly annoying to vacuum.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Seriously, how hard would it be for me to set up my own cryptotokens, sell them to people, and just make money on that cash as if it was an interest-free loan?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

Seriously, how hard would it be for me to set up my own cryptotokens, sell them to people, and just make money on that cash as if it was an interest-free loan?
i dare say that you missed the golden age of that strategy

spring/summer 2017 was the heyday

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah it's not hard that's why there's a thousand cryptocurrencies

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

mojo1701a posted:

it's super easy, which is why it's surprising that it's taken this long for the various regulatory agencies to get off their collective asses and crack down on this, but finally the end is nigh

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Uranium 235 posted:

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

it's super easy, which is why it's surprising that it's taken this long for the various regulatory agencies to get off their collective asses and crack down on this, but finally the end is nigh

I also wouldn't know how, as I'm an accountant and not a programmer. I just like the idea of an interest-free loan for my retirement fund backed by cryptonerds.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

In this case the free market really will sort itself out when it comes to the fact that there will be ten dozen worthless currencies available and only a couple of them will have actual value, which will collide with the geometrical increase in energy costs to produce them and, having no real world utility or value, the bottom will fall out on the enterprise altogether

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Heath posted:

In this case the free market really will sort itself out when it comes to the fact that there will be ten dozen worthless currencies available and only a couple of them will have actual value, which will collide with the geometrical increase in energy costs to produce them and, having no real world utility or value, the bottom will fall out on the enterprise altogether

None of them will have actual value

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
“”””Actual “”””value””””””””

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
reposting this

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

happy

freedom

smile

coin

bitconnect

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Khorne posted:

"wait, bitcoins went to $7400 while I was sleep? better buy buy buy!"
"oh the price is going back up? better buy before it goes to the $80k that guy predicted"

This image says all there is to say. It has a crazy amount of upvotes for some reason. I'd say who's laughing now is anyone who has actually made money and who's not laughing is anyone who lost money. It's like it goes completely over his head that at some point it's going to crash and not recover. I mean who knows, it could be like some other institutions in our society that make no sense and last a mind boggling amount of time. But, it's really really unstable and lots of people have and will get burnt bad. Especially with the current tax laws.

Who is upvoting this? The only reason this guy can sit there and be like “I’ve lived through every crash just fine” is because for that to be true he must have bought in at the beginning when the price was $2 and not $16,000. His actual investment is minuscule vs. someone who bought in later and gets hosed that much harder by a crash.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a bytecoin? If so, they should each be worth 8 bitcoin.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a bytecoin? If so, they should each be worth 8 bitcoin.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bytecoin-bte/

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Haven't checked this place in a while. Fantastic to see this happen. Also sort of worried regarding the aftermath. A lot of people will come out of this a lot worse than they went in.

What event directly lead to this? Something must've broken the camel's back.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mindblast posted:

Haven't checked this place in a while. Fantastic to see this happen. Also sort of worried regarding the aftermath. A lot of people will come out of this a lot worse than they went in.

I believe it started with a government crackdown on bitcoin in China. Then people started to lose faith in Tether and realized it is a huge scam.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Edit wrong thread, but leaving this here:

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 2, 2018

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

So any big institutional investors need bailing out? I remember something about Fidelity farming coins.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

So any big institutional investors need bailing out? I remember something about Fidelity farming coins.

lol wut? link plz

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

So it is worth zero? Which is precisely 8x what bitcoin is worth.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Uranium 235 posted:

I like you but this is the biggest wrongest thing anybody has ever said ITT

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

quote:

Former Iced Tea Maker Cancels Purchase of Bitcoin Mining Rigs

Less than a month after agreeing to purchase 1,000 AntMiner S9 crypto mining rigs, former iced tea maker Long Blockchain has scrapped the plan.

In a Friday filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the company announced it would not purchase either the mining rigs or the power supply units it had originally indicated it would buy in a filing early in January.
https://www.coindesk.com/former-iced-tea-maker-cancels-purchase-bitcoin-mining-rigs/

Adar posted:

I like you but this is the biggest wrongest thing anybody has ever said ITT
when do you think it was?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Andy Dufresne posted:

Oh see they've already factored in next year's seasonal dip so this is really a conservative projection.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
This is actually fantastic.

These dying companies that strangely converted to crypto should probably be looked into for some financial loophole abuse or shady behind the scenes stuff.

My guess is that they are scared the government may take a closer look.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
was reading up on the latest drop and laughed out loud at this quote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/02/bitcoin-price-drops-below-8000-for-first-time-since-nov-24.html

quote:

Mati Greenspan, senior market analyst at social trading network eToro, said that neither regulatory signals or worries of price manipulation were a cause for "systemic change" in the cryptocurrency market.

"We're coming up on support now at around $8,000, a level we've been watching over the last two weeks," he told CNBC in an email. "A light break of that is a good sign but if the break is violent it could take us lower."

Greenspan added: "Even if we go as low as $5000, it will still be double the prices that were traded in June and July of 2017."

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

Date / Difficulty:

quote:

Jul 02 2017 708,659,466,230

quote:

Dec 06 2017 1,590,896,927,258

:laffo:

the investor class does not understand this technology and it is so loving unbelievable and hilarious

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

joats posted:

This is actually fantastic.

These dying companies that strangely converted to crypto should probably be looked into for some financial loophole abuse or shady behind the scenes stuff.

My guess is that they are scared the government may take a closer look.

Hey now! We still have KodakCoin to look forward to. New digital currency for photographers that have at minimum a $1 million net-worth.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm glad the thread title is going to be accurate again.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Rad Russian posted:

Hey now! We still have KodakCoin to look forward to. New digital currency for photographers that have at minimum a $1 million net-worth.

New York Times, reacting to a technical document posted:

"...a 40-page mishmash of marketing buzzwords and vague diagrams."

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Andy Dufresne posted:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Uranium 235 posted:

when do you think it was?

The bubble will burst when 10-20 companies a week will stop successfully raising 20-50 million dollars for, 80-90% of the time, no real reason at all

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

KodakCoin is also run by a guy who was convicted of financial crimes in the 90s, but he's totally better now!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Adar posted:

The bubble will burst when 10-20 companies a week will stop successfully raising 20-50 million dollars for, 80-90% of the time, no real reason at all
i didn't realize there were so many still. i was thinking of the ICOs making hundreds of millions in summer 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Mindblast posted:

Pretty sure it was Tether, IIRC they went completely silent for a week and then Bloomberg published an article that said they had been subpoenaed. It's been all downhill ever since.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Just found that one of my good friends from college is big into ethereum. Two large mining rigs, direct purchases, etc.

:downs: i bought another 3 rx570
:what: whats the value proposition on that stuff now that the price has dropped?
:downs: i found these for 350
:what: yeah, but isn’t the time required to mine back the card price getting longer now?
:downs: no
:what: if the price is down 10% in the last 24 hours, aren’t you earning 10% less once you cash out to USD?
:downs: it'll not stay down

Followed by a meltdown in our Slack channel about how once the "normies" with their gaming rigs and Nicehash get out of the market it'll all be ok.

It's just disappointing to see someone you thought was smarter than this get caught up. I hope he doesn't lose his shirt. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
your friend sounds like an NPC