Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

AlternateAccount posted:

Tooooooorbjoooooornnn.

Torb is who I play when I don’t want to play very hard.

https://medium.com/beezy-work/one-tricking-vs-hero-maining-in-high-elo-overwatch-an-empirical-analysis-6f753068068

TL;DR Torbjorn's winrate differential is actually negative. This means that if you are a one trick torb slampicker, your team actually has a better chance of winning if you don't play torb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The most boring champ is Zarya :colbert:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The worst part about Bastion is the fact being in turret mode counts toward the AFK ticker. I had a match where our Bastion got kicked from the match because he didn't move even through he was very obviously still firing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you should be straight team wiping the enemies as bastion at least once a game or you're doing a bunch of things wildly wrong

SHOOT N SCOOT, SHOOT N SCOOT, SHOOT N SCOOT

I know you're half joking but if you watch the pro league this is actually exactly how they use Bastion on Junkertown. They sit on the cart when safe to do so but the minute they're passing an area where they can get hit from the sides they hop off of the cart and shoot in recon mode or try to hang back a bit and turret that way.

Sometimes that is legit the best play to make when you're passing areas where you can easily get hit from the sides like with the two houses on point 1.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, these are all very fair points and I understand where you're coming from. I guess I'm at the opposite end of this, where Overwatch is the first (and only) shooter I've played because Mercy made it accessible to me (and I found her primary gameplay mechanic to be fun); so now I'm in a weird spot where I have to figure out how I can keep playing this game while having fun.

Montalvo posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that she isn't viable -- the changes just make her a lot more boring to play.

...how? I’m not trying to call you out or anything, I just keep seeing this sentiment and I really don’t get it.

Her primary mechanics, as in healing/damage boosting and zipping to allies, literally hasn’t changed since launch and wasn’t affected in the last patch. All the patch did was remove the bonus/instant rez, return your regular GA speed in valk, and cut the time down to 15 seconds which still makes it one of the longest ults in the game. You still get to pick people up on demand, you still get to be effectively invincible after you ult because of the regen, you still get chain healing/damage...what about this is so bad that it’s ruining the game for people?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

...how? I’m not trying to call you out or anything, I just keep seeing this sentiment and I really don’t get it.

Her primary mechanics, as in healing/damage boosting and zipping to allies, literally hasn’t changed since launch and wasn’t affected in the last patch. All the patch did was remove the bonus/instant rez, return your regular GA speed in valk, and cut the time down to 15 seconds which still makes it one of the longest ults in the game. You still get to pick people up on demand, you still get to be effectively invincible after you ult because of the regen, you still get chain healing/damage...what about this is so bad that it’s ruining the game for people?

I can't speak for other people, but personally I found Mercy 2.0 (i.e. Valkyrie before the most recent round of nerfs) to be the most fun kit she had. The fun I had didn't necessarily come from the exaggerated impact her overpowered ultimate had on the game (I play on gold and am mediocre), but because when I popped Valkyrie I felt like I had a lot of options as to what I could do. I could heal, damage boost, fly around, and resurrect. The ultimate as it is now still has a fair amount of impact, but it just feels to me like I'm doing more of the same as what I was doing before (it's arguably a bad idea to resurrect during Valkyrie now, because you're wasting a significant portion of the ultimate on a resurrect -- and it might not even be a good option to do so if you're ulting in the heat of battle).

It just feels incredibly flat; and this is a sentiment that I've seen shared amongst other Mercy players.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
relentlessly nerfing Mercy, to the point Rez is almost not worth using during the ultimate and never adding anything else back is puzzling. Seeing Mercy is a poor clone of TF2's Doctor, why not replace Rez completely with Ubercharge/Kritscrieg knock-off during ults? Moira andLucio both look like more fun, why does the Overwatch team think anyone should select Mercy now? Or Ana?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

She's still the best healer

She just doesn't automatically win every team fight retroactively by pressing Q

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

At this point, I'd like to see them drop res altogether, allow her to simultaneously boost and heal while valking, and also enable her to fire pistol without wasting time swapping off of staff and back on again.

Do all that, and I think you'd have an interesting and viable, but not OP, character.

Do it Blizzard. Embrace the Battle Mercy. Feel.the anger rising within you.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ersatz posted:

At this point, I'd like to see them drop res altogether, allow her to simultaneously boost and heal while valking, and also enable her to fire pistol without wasting time swapping off of staff and back on again.

Do all that, and I think you'd have an interesting and viable, but not OP, character.

Do it Blizzard. Embrace the Battle Mercy. Feel.the anger rising within you.

...so lucio with dmg boost instead of speed boost and flight instead of wall ride?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

AkumaHokoru posted:

...so lucio with dmg boost instead of speed boost and flight instead of wall ride?
Kinda like that, yeah.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mercy being able to M1 with her pistol and M2 being a combo heal/dmg boost beam in Valk would own.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
mercy's new ult turns her staff into one of those stargate staffs that kill something in one shot after a short charging period

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

teagone posted:

Mercy being able to M1 with her pistol and M2 being a combo heal/dmg boost beam in Valk would own.
Paging Blinky, Blinky to thread 2.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Valk makes you automatically pull out your blaster and disables switching to your staff. Heal beams automatically attach to nearby allies without you having to do anything. Hold M2 to switch the auto heal beams to damage boost.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Valkyrie now replaces Mercy's primary fire with RIP-tires

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

with rapidly nesting PiP views for each tire, they all have to formation move

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
During Valkyrie, all of Mercy's teammates are invulnerable and her gun shoots Bowsers

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mercy performs a dark ritual, summoning the giant head of Jeff Kaplan, who nerfs every hero he looks upon. D.Va laughs maniacally in the distance.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ersatz posted:

Mercy performs a dark ritual, summoning the giant head of Jeff Kaplan, who nerfs every hero he looks upon. D.Va laughs maniacally in the distance.

Sweet, I've been wanting this to be ported to Overwatch since I first saw it in TF2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb_9vxXyqdU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ginette Reno posted:

I know you're half joking but if you watch the pro league this is actually exactly how they use Bastion on Junkertown. They sit on the cart when safe to do so but the minute they're passing an area where they can get hit from the sides they hop off of the cart and shoot in recon mode or try to hang back a bit and turret that way.

Sometimes that is legit the best play to make when you're passing areas where you can easily get hit from the sides like with the two houses on point 1.

I normally half-shitpost around these parts, but this time I'm 100% serious about that. Shoot n Scoot. It's originally a tank warfare/artillery thing, but it applies supremely well to bastion (and really almost the entire cast in OW). If they know where you are, don't be there when they get back. Bastion does iirc ~700 dps at closeish range, so you can get a kill or two before they've even properly reacted to you. Once they know where you are you're turbofucked.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 3, 2018

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Sweet, I've been wanting this to be ported to Overwatch since I first saw it in TF2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb_9vxXyqdU
You glorious bastard - I had forgotten about this.

I wish we were in an alternate reality in which the TF2 and Overwatch casts could tustle, cause that would be a blast.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

Rezzing is now objectively worse than it is at launch (which was clearly not overpowered at high level, b/c she rarely saw a lot of play before the rework), since it now makes you move slower & has a cast time. And rezzing felt good in it's original incarnation. And there was always the tension you had between holding onto it to see if you could rez more people or blowing it right away just in case you got ganked, which was a really nice risk/reward decision to keep in mind. Now that decision is a lot flatter and more boring, and the ability feels a lot worse to use.

I wish Blizzard tried having rez only work on allies in line-of-sight before they replaced it with valkyrie. But since we have it now, I wish they modified valkyrie to have the primary healing/boosted target to get more hp/dps than the chained targets, since that would add some decision-making back into the ult.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 3, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wish Valve and Blizzard would teamup so we can get TF2 and Overwatch characters together. Would be worth it for Mei and Pyro just talking to each other.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The most boring champ is Zarya :colbert:

No other hero gives me more of a sense of momentum than Zarya. That goes for both positive and negative sadly. Dying over and over and never being able to build charge is just soul crushing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

In walküre mode, if a character is hit by Mercy's gun, their abilities revert to a patchless state, i.e. they become as they were at launch/when the character was introduced.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I have to admit, I love Zarya, but I rarely use my beam over just spamming grenades.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

kurona_bright posted:

Rezzing is now objectively worse than it is at launch (which was clearly not overpowered at high level, b/c she rarely saw a lot of play before the rework), since it now makes you move slower & has a cast time. And rezzing felt good in it's original incarnation. And there was always the tension you had between holding onto it to see if you could rez more people or blowing it right away just in case you got ganked, which was a really nice risk/reward decision to keep in mind. Now that decision is a lot flatter and more boring, and the ability feels a lot worse to use.

I wish Blizzard tried having rez only work on allies in line-of-sight before they replaced it with valkyrie. But since we have it now, I wish they modified valkyrie to have the primary healing/boosted target to get more hp/dps than the chained targets, since that would add some decision-making back into the ult.

I explicitly didn’t mention rez because the post was complaining about her primary mechanics no longer being fun to play and I misunderstood what Montalvo meant by that. I didn’t realize they were including her ult as part of her primary mechanics, and if you include that then yeah she’s more boring than she was before.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

In walküre mode, if a character is hit by Mercy's gun, their abilities revert to a patchless state, i.e. they become as they were at launch/when the character was introduced.

A McCree/Mercy meta would be unique.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Would that cause Bastion to turn into his really broke original version with a shield?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

kurona_bright posted:

they needed to change old Mercy because it was boring as gently caress to play and watch "hide until people die"

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I had a lot of fun playing old Mercy, actually. Trying to keep my nitwit teammates alive while dodging everybody trying to kill me was fun. I think it was fine that some people found Mercy boring to play, because Mercy's original design seemed to be targeted specifically at people who hadn't played FPS's their entire life.

And like I said, I wish Blizzard tweaked the original rez ult before making it an ability. If you made it require LoS, then you no longer have to worry about Mercy hiding .

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

I explicitly didn’t mention rez because the post was complaining about her primary mechanics no longer being fun to play and I misunderstood what Montalvo meant by that. I didn’t realize they were including her ult as part of her primary mechanics, and if you include that then yeah she’s more boring than she was before.

I was referring to her overall gameplay being more boring (because the primary kit is the same but the ultimate and resurrection mechanic is dull).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

kurona_bright posted:

I had a lot of fun playing old Mercy, actually. Trying to keep my nitwit teammates alive while dodging everybody trying to kill me was fun. I think it was fine that some people found Mercy boring to play, because Mercy's original design seemed to be targeted specifically at people who hadn't played FPS's their entire life.

And like I said, I wish Blizzard tweaked the original rez ult before making it an ability. If you made it require LoS, then you no longer have to worry about Mercy hiding .

No, you still need to worry about her hiding, there's just the slight added chance of being able to kill her as she comes back to the point/rez place.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I don't get the idea that they didn't try different things. What do you guys think the gameplay design team does all day? They probably tried an LoS change out, and found that it was insufficient enough of a change for them to make resurrect interactive, so it got scrapped, then they moved onto something else until thry came to valkyrie as an ultimate. We only get to see the final product of changes, res probably went through a bunch of different iterative states that we never actually saw because they don't post every single design change to the PTR.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 3, 2018

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

AlternateAccount posted:

No other hero gives me more of a sense of momentum than Zarya. That goes for both positive and negative sadly. Dying over and over and never being able to build charge is just soul crushing.

Zarya is my main, and I agree, once she gets going she can be unstoppable. But she is very weak for a tank, doesn't work with all team sets, and if I am dying alot I usually switch to an other tank. Though if I am playing Orisa and she isn't working I switch to Zarya, and it clicks better.

Kokoro Wish posted:

I have to admit, I love Zarya, but I rarely use my beam over just spamming grenades.

I used to do this alot, but her main beam has better DPS and more range then you think. The beam is narrow though, it seems more narrow then the animation it self, and it can be hard to hit small squirrely targets with.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mercy's old ult was very unique in terms of its tactics and usage, I'm sad that it's been replaced with another not particularly creative transformation ult.

I also don't like how it gets most of its power from the fact that it's just very long. Most of the other transformation ults are short so they require you to make some huge play, while with Mercy's you're just very hard to kill and getting loads of value for 15 seconds.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Transformation ults are bad. she should just get motherfucking divine palm

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Mercy's old ult was very unique in terms of its tactics and usage, I'm sad that it's been replaced with another not particularly creative transformation ult.

I also don't like how it gets most of its power from the fact that it's just very long. Most of the other transformation ults are short so they require you to make some huge play, while with Mercy's you're just very hard to kill and getting loads of value for 15 seconds.

It's good for a push/hold, as was the rez. It's just a little more evenly balanced in utility between the two rather than being okay for a push under the right conditions but game-stoppingly good for defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

old res had the unique tactic of hiding behind a wall while your whole team died before doing anything and that's terrible. that's not saying valkyrie has been good but res was awful in a different way

I'm sure they'll keep working on mercy and she won't be in the trashcan forever, but for now I'm more than happy to see her suck for a while