Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shy
Mar 20, 2010

if the first search result isn't snack overflow I rephrase the problem until it is, and if it's still not I close the browser and cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, i just use adblock competently

you've never dealt with a real antiadblock script lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

you've never dealt with a real antiadblock script lol

you've never bothered dealing with anything above minimum effort lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That reminds me, tell your sister "hi" from me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

anime is banned from yospos

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cinci zoo sniper posted:

explain, because i literally just detailed how i went into a websites loving source code to find the exact script that was running the adblock check out of a pile of minified polyfill scripts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

antiadblock scripts are not rare and antiantiadblock scripts have long since been invented

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
but what about antiantiantiadblock

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cinci zoo sniper posted:

antiadblock scripts are not rare and antiantiadblock scripts have long since been invented

so you admit you didn't do anything interesting, you just installed another script and called it a day

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

so you admit you didn't do anything interesting, you just installed another script and called it a day

yes, that works and i dont have to go on old fart tantrums in programmer thread. once in a blue moon there's something to manually block, but i cant recall the last time that happened

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

galaxy brain: spend 30 minutes of your time hunting down a javascript bit a legion of angry grognards is aware of since the birth of the universe because you failed to google aak, aak-cont, nano defender, or ublock protector

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
how would one know to Google those if you don't even know they exist

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

necrotic posted:

how would one know to Google those if you don't even know they exist

you google "anti anti adblock". first hit is aak-cont. from there you deduce that aak is a thing, and as you follow the link to aak-cont you see

1) while still usable, it is eol
2) one successor is ublock protector
3) the other sucessor is adblock protector 2 - following the link to it will lead you to nano defender that supersedes it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyways, c tp s: doing scala during a weird half-off day after week of meetings

this is going to take a lot of time for me to get used to

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyways, c tp s: doing scala during a weird half-off day after week of meetings

this is going to take a lot of time for me to get used to

What's the underlying data structure there? Singely linked list? Seems like a p weird way to go about it. The real answer is 1) just use fold, and 2) never loving use SLL

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

What's the underlying data structure there? Singely linked list? Seems like a p weird way to go about it. The real answer is 1) just use fold, and 2) never loving use SLL

that's just generic style guide for course assignments. "Make sure the lines are not too long, otherwise your code is very hard to read. Instead of writing very long lines, introduce some local value bindings. Using whitespace uniformly makes your code more readable."
the initial example was

code:
if(p(this.head))this.tail.filter0(p, accu.incl(this.head))else this.tail.filter0(p, accu)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

late to the party but:

in the very rare occasions when a site has some content i can't easily find elsewhere and also has anti-adblocking tools that resist a simple right click->block element, i just press ctrl-u and scroll down to the actual page body. way less hassle. might not work with pure spas i guess but i haven't run into one of those yet

though now that i think about it a smarter option could be to open the page in good old lynx, I'll remember to try it next time it happens

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i hope this isn't a recurring patter with idea + scala. that code works perfectly fine (and before you yell, i had to implement sum without knowing anything about the lang, and using only list methods foo.isEmpty, foo.head, and foo.tail)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
recent firefox has a decrapifier button on the location bar which turns these sites' seo against them and the idea is loving genius

mystes
May 31, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i hope this isn't a recurring patter with idea + scala. that code works perfectly fine (and before you yell, i had to implement sum without knowing anything about the lang, and using only list methods foo.isEmpty, foo.head, and foo.tail)
Are you sure they don't want you to use recursion?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mystes posted:

Are you sure they don't want you to use recursion?

i am sure they want me to use recursion, but re: this is supposed to be done before i actually am taught anything more than tools setup and a bunch of links. im sure the course will get to it eventually, but im not terribly impressed so far

most importantly, however, this is an optional assignment worth no points so im not going to bust my rear end against the flow

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What are those errors?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

What are those errors?

unreachable code is the greyed text with wavy underline. yellow highlighter is just a suggest to use .notEmpty or whats the inverse method

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that's just generic style guide for course assignments. "Make sure the lines are not too long, otherwise your code is very hard to read. Instead of writing very long lines, introduce some local value bindings. Using whitespace uniformly makes your code more readable."
the initial example was

code:
if(p(this.head))this.tail.filter0(p, accu.incl(this.head))else this.tail.filter0(p, accu)

ugh, this language should just use S-expressions already

code:
(if (p (head this))
  (filter0 (tail this) p (incl accu (head this)))
  (filter0 (tail this) p accu))
which could be simplified as

code:
(filter0 (tail this) p
  (if (p (head this))
    (incl accu (head this))
    accu))
so much cleaner

eschaton fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 2, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

eschaton posted:

S-expressions
Please, this is a family friendly forum.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ugh i'm supposed to be evaluating some web frameworks and i just cant get motivated with this javascript one

its not even the library itself, its just the pattens of the javascript/node development community: very clique-y, obsessed with build tools which they create new versions of every 6 months and abandon in a heartbeat, and no documentation because they just seem to expect you to be Entirely Online and balls deep in their community

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
don’t use JavaScript

if you’re writing something server side, use a reasonable server side language

if you’re writing something client side, write a native app

there is no role for JavaScript in the modern world

mystes
May 31, 2006

What year are you posting from?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh i can pretty much guarantee we won't end up with a javascript framework, this is much more of a due diligence/technology survey project; the type of task i would give to some more junior person if we had any

which makes it even harder to get through because i have the additional aspect of just not caring that much

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lancemantis posted:

oh i can pretty much guarantee we won't end up with a javascript framework, this is much more of a due diligence/technology survey project; the type of task i would give to some more junior person if we had any

which makes it even harder to get through because i have the additional aspect of just not caring that much

i've been doing some js for a product demo and it seems like every single solution to any problem begins with "npm install"

i can see how these people clock 80 hours a week, 40 of it seems to be reading tutorials for whatever is in fashion this week

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

don’t use JavaScript

if you’re writing something server side, use a reasonable server side language

if you’re writing something client side, write a native app

there is no role for JavaScript in the modern world

mystes posted:

What year are you posting from?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its javascript, it runs ANYWHERE!

*runs npm install*

*watches as a g++ is invoked by a python script to compile native bindings because the language isnt capable of doing anything useful by itself*

oh hey this dependency doesnt know this ifdef macro is no longer in use and wont compile

love to simultaneously debug python, makefiles and c++ just so some idiot web dev's asset packer plugin for webpack can strip some headers from a jpg file

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
is webpack the newest trend in build tools that will be abandoned in 6 months?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
ls -lh ~/idiotwebprojectformorons

karma.conf.js
package.json
tsconfig.json
tsconfig.webpack.json
tslint.json
typedoc.json
webpack.config.js
yarn.lock
gulpfile.js

i have too many chromosomes and im a web dev

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
meh, i'd say react is ok.

use react-scripts to make the build script bullshit somebody else's problem, and use some sort of type checker like typescript of flow. i like flow but for stupid reasons, so use typescript.

semantic-ui lets non-graphic-designers throw together a web app that doesn't look like total dogshit and its react bindings seem pretty good

yeah the webshit circus sucks but there's at least a few people in there who seem to know what they're doing

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i am no js dev but from the outside it looks like js frameworks have so many custom build requirements and oddities that you better off use a different, better, language altogether

use elm is what i'm saying

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah, if the JavaScript ecosystem seems to be a constantly changing mess, transpiling from the language of the week where each minor version change renders all existing tutorials on the internet useless constantly is definitely the solution.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

mystes posted:

Yeah, if the JavaScript ecosystem seems to be a constantly changing mess, transpiling from the language of the week where each minor version change renders all existing tutorials on the internet useless constantly is definitely the solution.

elm is actually a bad example of an ever-changing language since they actually care about compatibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

elm is actually a bad example of an ever-changing language since they actually care about compatibility
That's funny. When I tried it 8 months ago they had just completely broken something relating I think to making http requests in a way that was difficult to fix unless you already knew the language very well.

• Locked thread