Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

No snark just trying to understand.

So your saying your ex. with WMR was that the controller tracking was horrible and caused issues in games you wanted to play? If so what was the issue? I didn't play much on WMR so my opinion is very limited.

Nooooo

I’m saying it isn’t perfect but I my drops were st edges, not close up.

Wmr tracking is super duper impressive.

The controllers themselves kinda suck tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A decent display with eye tracking, foveated rendering and lenses that can be focused so I don't have to wear glasses would be great. Just give me something that lets me read all the dials and poo poo in sims and I'll be good for years.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Nooooo

I’m saying it isn’t perfect but I my drops were st edges, not close up.

Wmr tracking is super duper impressive.

The controllers themselves kinda suck tho

Yeah not saying WMR is itself a great total experience but I think it shows that outside in tracking is not necessary for a good experience. I think the 1st gen rift is the end of outside in tracking for Oculus. With Facebook money and 4 cameras+ on the HMD I think it's likely we'll see a much better inside out tracking solution from Oculus. I could see SteamVR keeping it because their system is much more capable of scaling, while Oculus is aiming for ease of use.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I just picked up a Rift and a couple friends are coming over tonight to try it out. What are some good cheap-ish games to show off for newbies? I already have Thumper, Superhot and a couple freebies like Rec room and Echo arena.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I just picked up a Rift and a couple friends are coming over tonight to try it out. What are some good cheap-ish games to show off for newbies? I already have Thumper, Superhot and a couple freebies like Rec room and Echo arena.
GORN

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

richie's plank experience and google earth

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Labs Xortex, Archery, and Slingshot are all pretty good starting experiences. Slingshot only really works once since it's pretty humor based.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Gorn is amazing esp for first time users because everyone understands and enjoys this game with no training.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
That's what I like about richie's plank experience- if you have a play area you can move around in a bit, having people try to walk off a plank on top of a skyscraper is really satisfying and more psychologically challenging than you might think

Also it has a mode where you fly around like a superhero while holding onto a rocket which I could barely get people to move on from to try other stuff

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Robo Recall is the shiz.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Agreed! GORN is amazing and easy to jump into, plus has the ability for the people watching to control enemies with a gamepad.

If you have any fans of platformers, download Lucky's Tale too, since it's free and offers a glimpse at what is possible in that genre.

Also make sure you have Superhot VR and not the desktop version. It's a great game and easy enough for new people to quickly grasp.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

RIP your valuables.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
If you've got a 360 setup and a decent amount of floor space, the demo of Budget Cuts is still out there. It's one of the earlier VR games, but easy to get into, and really immersive. Hopefully it's still under development...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Superhot, Gorn and Richies should cover most people. Some people are scaredy cats and cant handle the intensity of the last or violence of the first two, and for those I reccomend just having some good environments downloaded to steam home for them to explore or tilt brush.

Job Sim is still the best demo program for children and old people in my experience, even if it lives most of the more adventerous adults and teenagers wanting more. My son always wants to play this and only this.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Start with first contact. Seriously.

After that. Space pirate trainer is really good. Gorn too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

First Contact and Google Earth are great introductions for non-gamers, and then for my gaming friends I'll add in Robo Recall and Superhot.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If they like zombies, gore and The Walking Dead (like non goons often do) I've had a lot of success with putting on Arizona Sunshine. Reloading mechanisms and headshots can be difficult for non-gamers tho.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

theBlu is quite a nice little experience for first time VR users, it's very good at giving a real sense of scale and the coral reef scene is very chill.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Thanks for the recs! Just picked up Gorn, it looks awesome. Gonna have to hide the valuables for sure. I almost booted my dog last night playing Superhot. :ohdear:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Hopefully it's still under development...

They posted something on their Twitter recently that implied that development was wrapping up recently iirc

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
One of my cats absolutely freaking hates VR, whenever i start doing roomscale stuff she just looks at me for a bit and just goes to stand in the corner and look at the wall. It's soooo weird.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dongattack posted:

One of my cats absolutely freaking hates VR, whenever i start doing roomscale stuff she just looks at me for a bit and just goes to stand in the corner and look at the wall. It's soooo weird.

Solution - cat sized HMD.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
The Forest will be coming out of Early Access soon, and they plan on revealing details about their VR mode closer to that date.

It's a pretty game, looks interesting. VR anything not rail shooter / tech demo is nice

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

nickhimself posted:

The Forest will be coming out of Early Access soon, and they plan on revealing details about their VR mode closer to that date.

It's a pretty game, looks interesting. VR anything not rail shooter / tech demo is nice

Oooooo that’s gonna be cooool! So glad I own it!

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

oh good, then you can let us know how it is! I hope it's good because some of these VR games look really cool until you actually get into them. that's a bummer

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Dongattack posted:

My dog will sit off to the side and then slowly work her way into the middle of my play area, while I'm in VR. Stepped on her a few times, though I put up a webcam to monitor through Oculus dash now, so I can see her creepin.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I have more playtime in Gorn than all other VR games combined. Gorn is amazing. It doesn't get old despite having a fairly small amount of 'content'

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Isn't it just flailing about, hitting big dudes? Looks extremely shallow

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

nickhimself posted:

it's shallow but it's also extremely fun.

it's like saying climbey is shallow because all you do are grab that white tiles and pull yourself along. Technically correct while missing the essence and joy of the game

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Every video game is pressing buttons and waggling sticks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Gorn people should get the DragonBall Z license but instead of doing cool power moves it’s just all the scenes listed on the DBZ Wikia page for “panties”

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Bhodi posted:

it's shallow but it's also extremely fun.

it's like saying climbey is shallow because all you do are grab that white tiles and pull yourself along. Technically correct while missing the essence and joy of the game

I've only seen very short clips of the game which is why I asked. If it's good, awesome

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

nickhimself posted:

I've only seen very short clips of the game which is why I asked. If it's good, awesome

Its worth its price, But I personally do not understand how people have 100s of hours into it. Ive "unlocked" everything. I play a round once in a while. But ultimately I'm over it.

So, Yeah its good but IMO, The replay is just doing the same thing over again and this time "stab out hearts!". Its alright for some short term replay value but yeah.

Again. Worth the price, I had fun with it. I just rarely pick it up these days and its not "because its hard work" or something. Im' that rear end in a top hat who does the whole prolocomotion bullshit and plays a lot of soundboxing and stuff. Its just, I got bored after a handful of hours.

Its a sick rear end fun game to demo to people tho. So its 100% worth it for that alone.

WITH all that said. They keep adding content for free, its updated regularly, its well made. Its a good game. I just, idk, Feel like it dont live up to the hype this thread can give it sometimes is all.

EDIT: The second video on the steam thing, is totally accurate 100%

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 3, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nickhimself posted:

Isn't Counter-Strike, CoD, PUBG etc just clicking on heads?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I thought Gorn looked dumb in videos and bought it purely on the rep.

When I was a kid I'd load up one of the Jedi Knight games or Die By The Sword all modded out and just enjoy fighting waves of dudes in arenas. Gorn is exactly that sort of thing in VR.

I find when I have time for VR stuff I'd rather just stab some dudes in Gorn then jump into the pile of more complicated experiences I bought on winter sales. I also play in 30 or 40 minute sessions a couple times a week so I'm not binging on anything VR related at the moment.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thanks to gorn I know how to perfectly thrust a spear into a man's chest so as to skewer his heart and yank it out, and then fling it at anothe rman's face. Thanks Gorn.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Gorn is a bit light on content and once you unlock the wolverine claws it takes self control to actually use anything else, with throwing knives and the chain caestus coming in a close second. Great for a 20 minute daily workout, just make sure to wear a sweatband or waterproof VR cover to avoid "water damage" if you sweat a lot.

That said it's pure loving joy standing in a crowd of enemies, parrying to trigger slowmo, and dispatching them all before time catches back up. So go buy it and maybe one day the devs will be able to create an open world RPG where you travel the land, fighting in arenas and collecting different weapons. Kinda like pokemon but with less animal abuse.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Verizian posted:

Gorn is a bit light on content and once you unlock the wolverine claws it takes self control to actually use anything else, with throwing knives and the chain caestus coming in a close second. Great for a 20 minute daily workout, just make sure to wear a sweatband or waterproof VR cover to avoid "water damage" if you sweat a lot.

Speaking of which, how much of a workout can you get while playing VR? I know it probably never comes close to a HIIT workout, but does it get the heart going enough to make something like an Apple Watch log what you’re doing as exercise?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Verizian posted:

That said it's pure loving joy standing in a crowd of enemies, parrying to trigger slowmo, and dispatching them all before time catches back up. So go buy it and maybe one day the devs will be able to create an open world RPG where you travel the land, fighting in arenas and collecting different weapons. Kinda like pokemon but with less animal abuse.

Wait what? It's a workout kind of game? That completely changes it for me if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anything that gets your heart rate above 55% of your maximum heart rate technically counts as cardio. For most people in this thread that's about 105 HR, which many people can achieve simply by walking up a steep hill.