Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Office Pig posted:

I wonder if he’s doing this because he can’t bomb NK?

Dude wants to be a big boy and he thinks that means he has to play with the big boy toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Oh boy I sure can’t wait to see what kind of vomit-inducing “bipartisan compromise” comes out of this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
"The paper of record," ladies and gentlemen.

edit:

tl;dr: David Brooks writes another "Democratic support for abortion rights is why they've lost and is in fact the only reason they've lost since the '70s" piece.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

readingatwork posted:

Oh boy I sure can’t wait to see what kind of vomit-inducing “bipartisan compromise” comes out of this.

What's the constituency for this though?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

What's the constituency for this though?

None. Has that ever stopped them before?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Grapplejack posted:

There is, of course, one other option; you could split Afghanistan apart and give pieces to Iran and Pakistan and whatever rump state is left becomes the new Afghanistan.

Like the gazillion tribes in Afghanistan would tolerate Iran or Pakistan any better than they do America

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would the DSC and its donor structure be in part the main reason why the democrats are so pathetic right now? Why did we let this happen?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Grapplejack posted:

There is, of course, one other option; you could split Afghanistan apart and give pieces to Iran and Pakistan and whatever rump state is left becomes the new Afghanistan.

That would go wrong in so many new and interesting ways.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

LinYutang posted:

Like the gazillion tribes in Afghanistan would tolerate Iran or Pakistan any better than they do America

That's their problem at that point. :v:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Good morning to everyone except the fash

https://twitter.com/igd_news/status/959266093310230528

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/951896065623683072

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/959477540778889216

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Everyone needs to read this article. I was going to take some quotes, but just read the whole thing. This is horrific.

edit- I lied, I'm going to at least single this out:

quote:

“This policy is about helping people achieve the American Dream,” Verma told reporters. “We see people moving off Medicaid as a good outcome.”

This is why America is loving broken. No, moving people off of Medicaid is not a good loving outcome. Getting people good jobs and making sure they have good healthcare is a good outcome, but moving people off of government assistance that is improving their lives is not in and of itself a good loving outcome. Welfare policy should not be focused on moving people off of welfare. That is insane and evil.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 2, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: Holy poo poo, wrong thread.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

This is why America is loving broken. No, moving people off of Medicaid is not a good loving outcome. Getting people good jobs and making sure they have good healthcare is a good outcome, but moving people off of government assistance that is improving their lives is not in and of itself a good loving outcome. Welfare policy should not be focused on moving people off of welfare. That is insane and evil.

You just don't understand. Clearly if they get pushed off Medicaid millions of well-paying jobs will suddenly create themselves and the number of people needed for currently low-wage work will randomly decrease.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Define “surveillance.”

Did they actually do wiretapping? Are we going to have endless :smug: from Trump supporters now?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/959488355644968960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPR108kwNo4

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

All the memo says is that the FISA court authorized electronic surveillance of Carter Page, a Trump aide, based on the Steele dossier. The thrust of the Republican argument is that the FBI omitted evidence that would call into question the credibility of the dossier and thus the FBI's argument before the FISC. Essentially accusing the FBI of doing what it always does but this time to a well-off white Republican dude

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 2, 2018

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Paradoxish posted:

No you see God rewards the pious with riches and punishes sinners with poverty. If we provide the poor with charity, then we are interfering with God's will. Without charity, the poor will either repent and be rewarded with riches or God will strike them down in judgement.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/959499923346677762

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/959508990152642560

lmao I really hope this starts a leak war

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Iron Twinkie posted:

No you see God rewards the pious with riches and punishes sinners with poverty. If we provide the poor with charity, then we are interfering with God's will. Without charity, the poor will either repent and be rewarded with riches or God will strike them down in judgement.

Book of loving job people

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This is the youtube version of posting goatse.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Trump administration is going to perform nuclear tests in Nevada and all the while people are allowing their brains to break over the pit of total nothing that is the Nunes memo.

We really need to have those nukes taken away.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

All the memo says is that the FISA court authorized electronic surveillance of Carter Page, a Trump aide, based on the Steele dossier. The thrust of the Republican argument is that the FBI omitted evidence that would call into question the credibility of the dossier and thus the FBI's argument before the FISC. Essentially accusing the FBI of doing what it always does but this time to a well-off white Republican dude

Wasn’t it also originally GOP opposition research during the primary?

A couple things stuck out to me. First was that it doesn’t say whether the stuff in the dossier is true or not. It just impugns it by saying it’s partisan. But the FISA process is supposed to prevent that. It was specifically in response to Hoover’s FBI looking into citizens information and so on. As far as I know it’s a rubber stamp, but that’s what it’s there for anyway.

The obvious next question should be, so did they find anything?

And then the Wyden question: where was you when I was screaming to the rooftops about abuses of FISA during the Bush years?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

bitter lol:

"The Obama administration did approve limited plans in Montana and Indiana that stripped insurance for Medicaid enrollees who failed to pay, but some of the proposals go further: They would impose fees on people at lower-income thresholds and increase the severity of penalties for missing payments."

When the hell are Dems gonna learn that opening the pathway for the GOP to do even worse down the road is not a winning strategy for themselves or for the country?

Dems complaining about Medicaid waivers is like Dems complaining about state-based abortion restrictions (for which their own William Casey Sr. led that particular horse to battle).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mate, American politics has been a pissing contest since 1776.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So this memo is basically a hot take from 16 years ago? I mean we all knew FISC was a joke and that the government spies on everyone all the time right?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

So this memo is basically a hot take from 16 years ago? I mean we all knew FISC was a joke and that the government spies on everyone all the time right?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

The surveillance state is only bad when it applies to rich old white guys in power.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

They were literally hacking senators and Feinstein just gave them a tut tut.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm still amazed nothing really came of that. At the time it seemed like such over-the-top obstruction.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

It makes more sense when you realize that by turning a blind eye to extremely unethical poo poo like that, she's amassed an absurd amount of power on the SSCI.

(which, to be clear, is not a good thing)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Feinstein is one of the worst Dems around and it looks like CA is ready to send her back for 6 more years! Really disappointing.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/959555277270917120

This is an editorial from one of South Korea's largest newspapers and it's really something

quote:

According to Cha’s Washington Post piece, some ultra-hardliners have argued that the risk of endangering the lives of the 230,000 Americans living in South Korea if the bloody nose strategy escalates is worth taking in terms of “long-term interests” and the “safety of Americans living in the continental US.” The fates of 50 million South Koreans don’t even warrant a mention.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 3, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I see we're going to go with the Falkland War strategy for dealing with bad re-election prospects.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Feinstein is one of the worst Dems around and it looks like CA is ready to send her back for 6 more years! Really disappointing.

that's on the california electorate

you could always phonebank for [challenger]

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I see we're going to go with the Falkland War strategy for dealing with bad re-election prospects.

i dunno it's pretty smart given the number of feckless dems who'll immediately jump to defend war with north korea

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno it's pretty smart given the number of feckless dems who'll immediately jump to defend war with north korea

I mean, the Falklands worked out for Thatcher because it was a quick war and she was on the winning end. Likewise, it took the American public a long time to realize how much of a gently caress up things like Vietnam and Iraq were because we weren't getting trashed.

If Trump goes hard into North Korea and it turns into a full on war, it's going to be a nightmare, and the scale of devastation in South Korea will be crazy. I don't see this one working out the same way.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The bloody nose thing is bully psychology. Do something violent, noone dares do anything about it, proving you're on top and also how big your dick is. Trump failing to advance that ambassador is troubling since it shows the are trying to psych themselves up into believing the North Koreans won't dare respond.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
"Lawmakers in Ohio and Iowa are considering bills that would create new penalties for people who attempt to disrupt the operations of “critical infrastructure” such as pipelines. The bills make the states the latest of at least eight to propose legislation aimed at oil and gas industry protesters since Donald Trump’s election."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that's on the california electorate

you could always phonebank for [challenger]

The issue is that her war chest is insanely stacked; she's got over ten million dollars for this election campaign, and with how big and expensive it is to campaign in California her advantage is beyond enormous.

• Locked thread