Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tons of stations do that. TBS and TNT especially. They actually do a variable speed thing when they try to detect music and go back to normal speed for that since music is more noticeable when it's off.

They speed up, use cut syndicated versions, and overlap credits to cram more commercials in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Max Headroom predicted this all. Soon all shows will be blipverts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Tons of stations do that. TBS and TNT especially. They actually do a variable speed thing when they try to detect music and go back to normal speed for that since music is more noticeable when it's off.

They speed up, use cut syndicated versions, and overlap credits to cram more commercials in.

And they've been doing this for years in some form or another.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You know what I can't loving stand? Those chucklefucks who say poo poo like "some times the ads are better than the shows!" No they're loving well not. Eat poo poo, Gary.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But if the show is, for instance, 90 day fiancé or something, ... well ...

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've not had cable in so long, I actually get mildly angry when I am somewhere that does have it and ads come on.

I happened to be at my parents one time as they where watching The Walking Dead... I couldn't believe how often they went to commercial.. 4 minutes of show, 5 minutes of ads. Rinse/repeat. The show itself couldn't have been longer than 40 minutes. And I don't understand why some channels run so many self promotions. Especially promotions for the show you are currently watching, or would be watching if they weren't currently running a commercial for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stevewm posted:

I've not had cable in so long, I actually get mildly angry when I am somewhere that does have it and ads come on.

I happened to be at my parents one time as they where watching The Walking Dead... I couldn't believe how often they went to commercial.. 4 minutes of show, 5 minutes of ads. Rinse/repeat. The show itself couldn't have been longer than 40 minutes. And I don't understand why some channels run so many self promotions. Especially promotions for the show you are currently watching, or would be watching if they weren't currently running a commercial for it.

Commercials are how TV makes money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And shows have been around the 40 minute mark for over a decade.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
how do you know what to buy if you don't watch commercials?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ein cooler Typ posted:

how do you know what to buy if you don't watch commercials?
Google and Facebook ads, duh.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Revamped DTVNow app will launch in the spring, plus they're adding a stream to their packages to make it 3 streams total.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It would be nice if Philo would hurry up and make an Android TV app. I like their lineup and price but I hated the Roku interface.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

It would be nice if Philo would hurry up and make an Android TV app. I like their lineup and price but I hated the Roku interface.

I just started using it this week. The picture quality is great, but yeah the Roku interface is clunky. A combination of Philo and Hulu gives me a better combination of channels that I want for a few bucks less than what I had been paying for Sling, but both are worse than Sling in terms of usability on Roku.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Revamped DTVNow app will launch in the spring, plus they're adding a stream to their packages to make it 3 streams total.

Would someone with DTVNow try something for me? I can't login to the Paramount Network app or site with my credentials. It says my subscription doesn't include the channel. I know for a fact it does since the channel is included with even the cheapest DTV Now package. Can someone try logging in with their credentials and report back?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Would someone with DTVNow try something for me? I can't login to the Paramount Network app or site with my credentials. It says my subscription doesn't include the channel. I know for a fact it does since the channel is included with even the cheapest DTV Now package. Can someone try logging in with their credentials and report back?

I was able to sign in on the site, but none of the videos loaded. I didn't try hard, though. Maybe they're just having issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

trem_two posted:

I just started using it this week. The picture quality is great, but yeah the Roku interface is clunky. A combination of Philo and Hulu gives me a better combination of channels that I want for a few bucks less than what I had been paying for Sling, but both are worse than Sling in terms of usability on Roku.

Other than the lack of platforms (no ATV and no AndroidTV), the only thing keeping from pulling the trigger on it is no sports packages, but that's also what's probably keeping the price so low.

However, I could probably just do a limited usage of either Hulu or PSVue to get my sports fix in-season and drop when out of season. But they need to expand to ATV or AndroidTV before I'll jump over.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Anyone here ever use the Channel Master CM-4228HD antenna?

Right now, I have an old Yagi antenna outside 30 feet in the air pointing mainly towards the BR set of stations, but from what I can see, I should be able to get both Baton Rouge and Lafayette if I use this antenna instead. This is my TVFool map.

Anyone use one or have one like this?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Right now, I have an old Yagi antenna outside 30 feet in the air pointing mainly towards the BR set of stations, but from what I can see, I should be able to get both Baton Rouge and Lafayette if I use this antenna instead. This is my TVFool map.

I got my dad one of these:

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HDB8X

Mainly got it to avoid attaching a rotor to it to change it back and forth from the two directions my parents wanted.

It’s an 8 bay bow tie with two lobes that can be aimed independently. It works great and was cheaper than that Channel Master you’ve got (I considered that one at the time, too). My parents are able to pick up both Raleigh and Chapel Hill (approx 60 ° apart) fantastically. Now they’re using an ChannelMaster amp since it’s in the attic, but you may be able to squeak by without one since you’ve got it up on a mast. But those are pretty inexpensive.

Aiming each lobe was dead simple using the built in compass app in his iPhone.

From your map, you’d probably want one lobe around 125 ° and the other about 240 °

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 4, 2018

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Proteus Jones posted:

I got my dad one of these:

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HDB8X

Mainly got it to avoid attaching a rotor to it to change it back and forth from the two directions my parents wanted.

It’s an 8 bay bow tie with two lobes that can be aimed independently. It works fantastically. My parents are able to pick up both Raleigh and Chapel Hill (approx 60 ° apart) fantastically. Now they’re using an ChannelMaster amp since it’s in the attic, but you may be able to squeak by without one since you’ve got it up on a mast. But those are pretty inexpensive.

Aiming each lobe was dead simple using the built in compass app in his iPhone.

From your map, you’d probably want one lobe around 125 ° and the other about 240 °

Cool, thanks. Looked at that one too and could still get it. I'm thinking I might get this amp (https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplify_TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777hd.htm) and install it on the antenna itself. My only concern is that I want to split that into two lines (one for a Tivo, one for a HDHomerun), so I think I would use that 30dB setting because of that and the fact that it's a long cable run. My current antenna has an amplifier, but it's inside.

Good idea on the phone app for aiming. Tried out a Smart Compass app, and it looks like that will work perfectly. I don't think you can aim the CM antenna in two different directions but from what it looks like, it would get 180° worth of signals if I'm understanding it correctly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Cool, thanks. Looked at that one too and could still get it. I'm thinking I might get this amp (https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplify_TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777hd.htm) and install it on the antenna itself. My only concern is that I want to split that into two lines (one for a Tivo, one for a HDHomerun), so I think I would use that 30dB setting because of that and the fact that it's a long cable run. My current antenna has an amplifier, but it's inside.

Good idea on the phone app for aiming. Tried out a Smart Compass app, and it looks like that will work perfectly. I don't think you can aim the CM antenna in two different directions but from what it looks like, it would get 180° worth of signals if I'm understanding it correctly.

You could also put a rotor on it to fine tune. With some models you can even dial in exact degrees as long as you orient the rotor to true north.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Anyone using YouTube tv? I can't seem to get more than 480p res through my Roku 3. My PC that's connected to my tv/monitor via dvi I understand, but the Roku is using HDMI.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Were any of these cable alternatives effective ways of watching the Super Bowl today? If so, were there any oddities like sudden content blackouts? I'm taking notes for next year.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

IAmKale posted:

Were any of these cable alternatives effective ways of watching the Super Bowl today? If so, were there any oddities like sudden content blackouts? I'm taking notes for next year.

Dtv now sucked. The normal app's audio sounded like AM radio. The beta app's audio was fine, but buffered often. Neither had nearly as good of color quality as antenna.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

IAmKale posted:

NBC Sports streamed it for free with no login required. It was fine. They didn't (couldn't?) air some of the ads but that was about it.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

PSVue cut out for me with about 15 min left in the game. Entire thing was down, no channels would work. I switched to the NBC sports app and that worked perfect.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We started out using the NBC (non-sport) app for Roku but it was buffering constantly. We switched to Sling, once I remember we had NBC and it worked great.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

calandryll posted:

We started out using the NBC (non-sport) app for Roku but it was buffering constantly. We switched to Sling, once I remember we had NBC and it worked great.

Sling is pretty great in terms of reliability. The Rangers are terrible so I might switch back and just find other ways to stream hockey. DTVN is a mess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I watched OTA through my HDHomeRun and the picture was beautiful the whole time.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

DTVN was perfect in the first half. Pretty much the entire second half it was absolutely awful. It looked like I was watching a realplayer video from the early 2000s.

I was running a Roku+ streaming stick with a 100mbs connection so it wasn't the hardware. As someone else mentioned, DTVN has been a mess the last few months.

On a related note, I did a Hulu TV trial in between DTVN subscriptions and it was actually worse than DTVN in terms of quality. Constantly buffering. I also found the interface pretty annoying.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

RZA Encryption posted:

Dtv now sucked. The normal app's audio sounded like AM radio. The beta app's audio was fine, but buffered often. Neither had nearly as good of color quality as antenna.

I agree your experience sucked but in all fairness, nothing is going to beat uncompressed OTA antenna.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Croatoan posted:

nothing is going to beat uncompressed OTA antenna.

That's not really true anymore. I could see a stream direct from NBC being of higher quality.

OTA is on ancient MPEG2 and likely has to coexist with a billion other subchannels your affiliate wants to run which steal bandwidth.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Croatoan posted:

I agree your experience sucked but in all fairness, nothing is going to beat uncompressed OTA antenna.

OTA isn't uncompressed.

How much it is compressed is up to the channel operator.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

OTA isn't uncompressed.

:science:

OTA ATSC provides for ~18Mbit of usable bandwidth using MPEG-2 per channel. The broadcaster is free to split it up as they see fit, though I would imagine many allocate most of it to the main program, which is why subchannels are usually 480p/i. Come to think of it I don't think I have ever seen a subchannel in HD.

H.264 is also part of the standard now, but I don't think any OTA broadcaster in the US is using it, nor do many likely have the hardware capable of receiving H.264 over ATSC.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I watched on the NBC Sports channel on Roku (which I just found out will allow me to watch Cubs games so in between that and the Olympics, it is my new favorite channel) and it would buffer here and there. Exiting the stream and clicking right back put me right back on the stream. (Although, it literally cut out right as the Eagles were about to catch the first TD pass and a loud NOOOOOOOOO rang out through my house)

I was surprised that This Is Us was also allowed on the stream after the game so that made me happy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bull3964 posted:

OTA is on ancient MPEG2 and likely has to coexist with a billion other subchannels your affiliate wants to run which steal bandwidth.

Don Lapre posted:

OTA isn't uncompressed.

stevewm posted:

:science:

OTA ATSC provides for ~18Mbit of usable bandwidth using MPEG-2 per channel. The broadcaster is free to split it up as they see fit, though I would imagine many allocate most of it to the main program, which is why subchannels are usually 480p/i. Come to think of it I don't think I have ever seen a subchannel in HD.

H.264 is also part of the standard now, but I don't think any OTA broadcaster in the US is using it, nor do many likely have the hardware capable of receiving H.264 over ATSC.

You drat nerds, that's why I said uncompressed. Yes I know it can be compressed based on if they want subchannels. The main networks for the most part are still just about the sharpest image you'll get.

Don't freak out, I said, "for the most part".

drat nerds. :goonsay:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's always compressed. They don't choose to compress it.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Testing out YouTube TV and really liking it. Their unlimited DVR and interface seem especially great. Wish they had an option to add Viacom channels and some regional sports though. Definitely a better experience than Sling so far for me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For anyone with Google/Android TV and Fire TV devices, Channels has launched on both platforms. It was previously an iOS/tvOS-only affair.

Lets you watch OTA signals from an HDHomeRun. Provides a guide and pause/rewind/ffwd capability.

I don't know what magic sauce they use but it runs silky smooth and consistently on my AppleTV. When I had the Plex live TV/DVR service, it came nowhere close to being as good a solution as Channels ended up being.

Looks like, right now, only live tv is available. However, I'm sure they'll be porting over their DVR solution soon (requires a NAS/dedicated machine of some type along with an $8 monthly fee).

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
In Janurary, Cox decided my bill was going from $150 to $240/month. I made 12 phone calls speaking to every department they had and now I have a sling subscription and an antenna. It's incredible how much more clear the Superbowl was with OTA compared to Cox cable. Before choosing sling I also did a trial of Hulu with live TV but I could never figure out how to get the DVR to work and it felt like they were trying hard to bury the live TV in menus.

Unfortunately, there is a problem. My 3yr old is addicted to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Mickey and the Roadster Racers, both of which were saved on the Cox DVR for the past 3 years. Sling's DVR doesn't work on Disney channel. I pay $50 for 100mbps internet, and ~$50 for Sling. Ironically, after canceling my cable subscription, suddenly a new package for $89.99/month for cable, DVR, and internet is now available to me, and it satisfy my toddler's cravings for Mickey.

I have not tried Direct TV Now or PSVue, Youtube TV is not available in my area. Is there a better option for on demand Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?

Silly Burrito posted:

I use a DIY version of this antenna (coat hanger, 2x4, some wire) and it works great, it's an effective design I would just recommend building one instead of buying since the materials are ridiculously cheap. It is still a very directional antenna, just not as directional as a yagi, I wouldn't expect to get all of those stations.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Crotch Fruit posted:

In Janurary, Cox decided my bill was going from $150 to $240/month. I made 12 phone calls speaking to every department they had and now I have a sling subscription and an antenna. It's incredible how much more clear the Superbowl was with OTA compared to Cox cable. Before choosing sling I also did a trial of Hulu with live TV but I could never figure out how to get the DVR to work and it felt like they were trying hard to bury the live TV in menus.

Unfortunately, there is a problem. My 3yr old is addicted to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Mickey and the Roadster Racers, both of which were saved on the Cox DVR for the past 3 years. Sling's DVR doesn't work on Disney channel. I pay $50 for 100mbps internet, and ~$50 for Sling. Ironically, after canceling my cable subscription, suddenly a new package for $89.99/month for cable, DVR, and internet is now available to me, and it satisfy my toddler's cravings for Mickey.

I have not tried Direct TV Now or PSVue, Youtube TV is not available in my area. Is there a better option for on demand Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?

I use a DIY version of this antenna (coat hanger, 2x4, some wire) and it works great, it's an effective design I would just recommend building one instead of buying since the materials are ridiculously cheap. It is still a very directional antenna, just not as directional as a yagi, I wouldn't expect to get all of those stations.

Can't you use your Sling credentials and log into the Disney app directly for those shows?

Also, thanks for the advice on the antenna. If that one doesn't work, what do you think about the one Proteus Jones mentioned above? It's not absolute that I get the Lafayette stations, but that's kind of the point of swapping out my antenna.

On a side note, pointing that correctly makes a huge difference. The NBC station was only coming in at 50%, so in order to make sure I saw the Super Bowl, I turned my antenna two tiny turns to the right. Suddenly it was showing at 61% strength, but almost all my other channels dropped tremendously. After the Super Bowl, two tiny turns back left, and I'm back in business. I really need a metallic Sharpie to mark this spot on the pole.