Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFVII has a decent cast, it's just that all of their villians except for the Turks are bad.

The Turks were also my favorite part of Advent Children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sephiroth’s real good, the game does a really good job of building him up as a badass threat.

Oh poo poo, he killed President Shinra! Oh poo poo, he effortlessly impaled the midgar zolom on a tree!!!

You get a flashback with him and he’s literally invincible.

His whole concept is really good too. He’s technically dead, but gained far more power by manipulating the lifestream and jenova herself. He’s been memed into just being obsessed with cloud (and killing Aerith) but his portrayal in the game proper is really well done.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Rufus is cool, but them outright not explaining on how he lived the explosion because Cloud is being a douche was stupid.
Which describes AC in general really, that movie has a lot of issues.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember in the FFVII manual, Sephiroth was listed in the cast of characters, then you get a flashback of him wrecking poo poo as a party member and you're like "hell yeah he's gonna join my party at some point" but...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The GIG posted:

meet more people imo

Watch less anime.

Rufus is a great character, probably one of my favorite FF villains. His introduction is great.
"Oh hey guys. I see my dad's dead. Welp, gently caress him anyway. So, you wanna work for me, rule the world? No? Oh well. Guess we're not going to be friends."

Then he shoots you with a shotgun.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
For all of you who are getting FFXII heres a really good guide that details a lot of treasure, sidequest and other stuff in one neat package

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6250-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-trophy-guide

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Watch less anime.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

JRPGs have never had realistic bodies because Japan is a land of skinny people and they base their fantasies upon beauty rather than brawn. A fantasy hero in the West is like Conan or a knight in armor -- fantasy heroes in Japan are fey and beautiful youths. To that end, as well, they prefer outlandish and fantastical costumes rather than attempting something "realistic".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hmmm....

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Smdh if you don’t think Sephiroth and Jenova are cool as gently caress

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
not gonna lie, i think shinra as a monolithic antagonist is way more interesting than sephiroth and jenova

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Shinra getting in over its head trying to handle forces beyond its understanding because "maybe it will all be okay if we capitalism hard enough" while people who could know better don't care works better for a story about the dangers of such a thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The GIG posted:

Shinra getting in over its head trying to handle forces beyond its understanding because "maybe it will all be okay if we capitalism hard enough" while people who could know better don't care works better for a story about the dangers of such a thing.

And in fairness, Shinra have probably a better hit rate at actually dealing with imminent threats to the population than Avalanche when they actually try. I like that; VII is an extremely cyberpunk story, but you don't get to the top of that kind of world without being able to handle poo poo. Granted, they caused most of those threats, but still, they've got a level of competence in actually dealing with the hells they awake that you don't see often, and I like that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's what makes them so scary. They'll create something like Sephiroth, or awaken something like WEAPON and just let Hojo get back to business as usual while they find a way to contain the situation 'til they get their perfect soldier or their key to the Promised Land.

e: or get shot by a giant laser tbf

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Shinra keeping a handle on things makes the whole downfall even better because once things get out of hand it spirals almost entirely because to keep on top they basically cut the legs from everything else, leaving their only options to either run that train until it crashes or grovel to everyone they hosed over to fix their mess.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rufus and the Turks and the whole crazy experiments poo poo was always some of the stuff that hooked me most.

Climbing Shrina tower when Jenova 'escapes' was terrifying and got its hooks in as a kid. But I didn't care about Sephiroth so much as this crazy power company with some eye nippled alien they were keeping.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought Hojo was a cool/creepy villain too. Mad scientists are great. For the limited amount of time he has on-screen, Dr. Lugae rules too, going from a goofy comic relief boss to a cybernetic body horror in ten seconds.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

wizard on a water slide posted:

I always thought Hojo was a cool/creepy villain too. Mad scientists are great. For the limited amount of time he has on-screen, Dr. Lugae rules too, going from a goofy comic relief boss to a cybernetic body horror in ten seconds.

Shinra and Hojo feel weird compared to basically the rest of the series, they're straight-up pretty dark sci-fi. The game's got fantasy elements, but they're happening entirely around them, they aren't really responsible for any of it. They just exploit it.

They feel like human Shin Megami Tensei villains that got a foothold into a high fantasy world, and I kinda love it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Rufus is a great character, probably one of my favorite FF villains. His introduction is great.
"Oh hey guys. I see my dad's dead. Welp, gently caress him anyway. So, you wanna work for me, rule the world? No? Oh well. Guess we're not going to be friends."

Then he shoots you with a shotgun.

Rufus doesn’t get enough credit for being able to just casually shoot a shotgun one-handed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ROFL Octopus posted:

Rufus doesn’t get enough credit for being able to just casually shoot a shotgun one-handed.

It's a sawed-off. Plus he's got a pet doggo! :3

Cleretic posted:

And in fairness, Shinra have probably a better hit rate at actually dealing with imminent threats to the population than Avalanche when they actually try. I like that; VII is an extremely cyberpunk story, but you don't get to the top of that kind of world without being able to handle poo poo. Granted, they caused most of those threats, but still, they've got a level of competence in actually dealing with the hells they awake that you don't see often, and I like that.

Yeah, disc 2 of FF7 is where, IMO, the plot actually ratchets into high gear and hits its best moments. Stealing the Large Materia, escaping Shinra capture, stealing the Highwind, Cid becoming temporary leader of the team, and you have giant kaiju wandering around, you get to go underwater, the world is yours to explore and there's actually a lot left to do. You get to fight the Turks some more and ultimately it all leads to a grand and fiery return to Midgar.

Actually I had a question -- there's a boss fight in Midgar aganst all three Turks towards the end of the game. I actually couldn't beat it my first attempt through the game, it was a real brick wall for me. But on a later playthrough, I reached that point and the boss fight didn't happen -- the Turks just shrugged and said "y'know what? Nobody's paying us to do this poo poo anymore." and I have no idea what you have to do to determine whether you fight or they let you pass.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

wizard on a water slide posted:

Lugae does a total 180 between "ha ha he's some dork scientist" and "literally fuckin mutated the King and Queen and also is Frankenstein's Monster now" and it's kind of weird even by FF4 plot standards.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So those 100 point keys give you unlimited runs on any daily dungeons for 30 minutes, they don't count against your 10 tries. So if you want a particular crystal and are overpowered for it, you can just Auto the level 10 or 20 dungeons for 30 minutes and get a ton of the low grade crystals to get any character to STR 20 fast.

e; Yep, sitting here auto'ing the level 20 dungeon getting my Warrior the crystals he needs for getting his 2nd ability (I have opened 5 Enhancers, sue me) while getting Vaan XP. Then back to burning my SP on orbs and running co-op missions as a guest for gems and crystals. I wonder when the 200 gem first meet bonus is going away because if it really just keeps going as long as you meet new players that is a crazy amount of gems.

e2; Do i just start building a generic 5* weapon with my 5th enhancer, seems like on 5* gear nothing happens after you Limit Break 3x.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 2, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The White Dragon posted:

post ur ff14 characters
with Emperor's New Fists

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hojo's great because pretty much everything is his fault. Sephiroth being who he is and going crazy? Hojo. Cloud's identity problems? Hojo. Aerith being an orphan? Hojo. Everything to do Vincent? Hojo.

When you look back on FFVII with full knowledge of how Hojo is directly responsible for almost all of the awful poo poo in the game, you sincerely wish Cloud and friends had stabbed the gently caress out of him when he was tanning on the beach.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The White Dragon posted:

post ur ff14 characters

With mine I got high-concept on the design, and decided to design her to look like an SNES FF character. I think I did quite well.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I need to get back on FFXIV. I haven’t quite finished the Stormblood MSQ. Been playing more single player games lately. My wife loves FFXIV though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If we ever do get the seven remake, I really hope there are some North Korean style propaganda posters all around promoting Shinra. Working for the bad guy probably gets demoralizing, and I'm sure they would be aware of that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Morby posted:

I need to get back on FFXIV. I haven’t quite finished the Stormblood MSQ. Been playing more single player games lately. My wife loves FFXIV though.

I haven't played since going cold turkey like 3 or 4 years ago after playing like 6+ hours a day since beta. Any time I think of going back I just remind myself how much time it would take to re-max all my levels and finish the story, let alone get raid gear for every job again.

e; On the plus side, I met my wife literally the day after quitting the game with a last minute date I would have not been free to attend had I been raiding.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 2, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's a sawed-off. Plus he's got a pet doggo! :3

Yeah, disc 2 of FF7 is where, IMO, the plot actually ratchets into high gear and hits its best moments. Stealing the Large Materia, escaping Shinra capture, stealing the Highwind, Cid becoming temporary leader of the team, and you have giant kaiju wandering around, you get to go underwater, the world is yours to explore and there's actually a lot left to do. You get to fight the Turks some more and ultimately it all leads to a grand and fiery return to Midgar.

Actually I had a question -- there's a boss fight in Midgar aganst all three Turks towards the end of the game. I actually couldn't beat it my first attempt through the game, it was a real brick wall for me. But on a later playthrough, I reached that point and the boss fight didn't happen -- the Turks just shrugged and said "y'know what? Nobody's paying us to do this poo poo anymore." and I have no idea what you have to do to determine whether you fight or they let you pass.

If you complete the Wutai sidequest, you can opt not to fight them as payback for helping them back then.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you complete the Wutai sidequest, you can opt not to fight them as payback for helping them back then.

Ahhhh, that makes sense.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I remember in the FFVII manual, Sephiroth was listed in the cast of characters, then you get a flashback of him wrecking poo poo as a party member and you're like "hell yeah he's gonna join my party at some point" but...

There’s a trainer for the steam version (ochu) that seems to have an option to let you turn all your party members into sephiroth but I haven’t been able to figure out how to get that option working.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nephzinho posted:

I haven't played since going cold turkey like 3 or 4 years ago after playing like 6+ hours a day since beta. Any time I think of going back I just remind myself how much time it would take to re-max all my levels and finish the story, let alone get raid gear for every job again.

e; On the plus side, I met my wife literally the day after quitting the game with a last minute date I would have not been free to attend had I been raiding.

Yeah as much as I loved FFXIV, I easily got addicted to that poo poo. When I stopped cold turkey, it was weird. I'd totally want to max everything. After I stopped, my girlfriend told me "it's nice to see you again" because while she didn't mind it too much, me telling her "can't hang out tonight, gotta raid" Is probably annoying.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

There’s a trainer for the steam version (ochu) that seems to have an option to let you turn all your party members into sephiroth but I haven’t been able to figure out how to get that option working.

i remember using gameshark 20 years ago and using a code that puts sephiroth in your party (but its the npc version like in the flashback sequences) but the game would crash every time you're about to fight the guard scorpion

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

lol at the person who said FF7 mishandles its female cast then praised FF6 where the underaged general has to lean on the mid 20's man to get anything actually done and the other female protag really really needs to have children to teach her this human emotion we call love.
I always thought Celes was an adult, even when I was a kid playing the game. I liked how, after the world ended on the lowest note, when presented a shred of hope she found the drive to head out and seek out everyone else-none of which were motivated to do anything like that.

I'll take Terra discovering empathy by growing protective of the vulnerable in a post-apocalyptic hellscape than finding the that through romance.

I'll jeer Rydia in WVGCW, but she's one of my favorite characters in a Final Fantasy for being able to develop trust after losing her mom, her friends and her home, facing and overcoming her fear of fire, slapping the motivation into a spoony bard, coming back to save everyone when they were Cecil's 1 HP away from being a pile of corpses, and refusing to let some dummies go on a suicide mission alone instead of saving the world and coming back.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm glad people have come to realize that Final Fantasy is good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bell_ posted:

I always thought Celes was an adult, even when I was a kid playing the game.

I'd say the characters' ages are entirely superfluous information because they don't affect the story in the slightest. Celes could be 16, or 25, or 40 and it wouldn't change anything.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Terper posted:

I'm glad people have come to realize that Final Fantasy is good.

Sometimes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Does anyone actually play the FF TCG?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Final Fantasy characters are super good at life, and can learn everything on the fly. Celes sounds awful at first singing, but within minutes is a world renowned opera singer. Similar to Squall in the course of one song goes a completely inept dancer to completely in sync and performing swing dancing moves like he's in a Brian Setzer music video.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Part of me wants to believe that there was a dropped subplot of Celes being a clone of Maria or something like that. But that's entirely in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Doesn't Squall admit later he totally knows how to dance, he just didn't want to?