Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

Y’shtola, because catgirl, sadly.

Is the screen just black if you play as her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

Y’shtola, because catgirl, sadly.
That makes sense, she's in Threatrhythm too. She's apparently really popular in Japan.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FactsAreUseless posted:

That makes sense, she's in Threatrhythm too. She's apparently really popular in Japan.

I think she was the second FFXIV character in Record Keeper after Thancred. In Dissidia I recall it being more of a roster-balance choice, though; the lineup needed more ladies, and being a white mage she was also a more unorthodox character to design around for a fighting game.

I'm okay with her being the rep for FFXIV, since she's the best Scion. Raubahn would probably be the only character I'd suggest legitimately she be considered over for that sort of thing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
As long as they don't for some reason put Hamon Holyfist there I'm fine because if he were playable I'd be even sadder I'll never be able to play the game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I think she was the second FFXIV character in Record Keeper after Thancred. In Dissidia I recall it being more of a roster-balance choice, though; the lineup needed more ladies, and being a white mage she was also a more unorthodox character to design around for a fighting game.

I'm okay with her being the rep for FFXIV, since she's the best Scion. Raubahn would probably be the only character I'd suggest legitimately she be considered over for that sort of thing.

Thancred and Y'shtola were in the same event in Record Keeper I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Catgirls are the most played race in FFXIV and Y'sholta is the only significant catgirl NPC so it makes sense to use her.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd forgotten how great Teersa is in Horizon - Take a girl who has no reason to give a poo poo about the laws of the Nora and has apparent magical powers through her focus, and on top of that just won the proving and become an official tribeswoman and people can talk to her now - uh oh... she is now bound by Nora rules... erm, Make her a Seeker, give her back the right to say gently caress the Rules, then turn this techno wizard loose on the rest of the world and just see what happens.

On top of that she has already been breaking all the rules of the Nora herself but got away with it by being a Matriarch (talking to outcasts by witnessing Aloy's naming, taking her into the mountain). Also her reaction to things that go against her teachings are basically "Huh. Guess I was wrong about that much... go Aloy, find out just how wrong I was..."

She's practical and awesome for a religious leader. You just know Jezza just goes along with her because she knows she can't stop her. Lansra and Resh are bascially the only surviving tribe members who are assholes about things, the rest of the tribe obviously doesn't care about Aloy's weird birth. Also I actually did the proving and the first corruptor fight surprisingly easily, I usually have problems with them. Thank god I got the precision bow.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Feb 2, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've never played HZD, but I'm a little discomfited to learn that I share a name with a prominent tribe in that game.

This might have come up here before, but one of my favorite little things in Stardew Valley is the mod that turns your farm pony into Kate Beaton's Fat Pony. :3:

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

I've never played HZD, but I'm a little discomfited to learn that I share a name with a prominent tribe in that game.

This might have come up here before, but one of my favorite little things in Stardew Valley is the mod that turns your farm pony into Kate Beaton's Fat Pony. :3:

nice old lady name

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

GelatinSkeleton posted:

nice old lady name

The army's no match for her though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I figured the parts where they shove in Yakuza 0 continuity in Yakuza Kiwami would be awkward, but they honestly did a fantastic job of making it seem like Zero had always existed :allears: In one fight with Majima, he busted out the Slugger battle style, and I still had all of his combos memorized since it was my favourite moveset. Dude couldn't land a hit because I knew exactly what he'd do next.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hirayuki posted:

Hey, Fallout-Mom. Sorry about your idiot son.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Moms are tough.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The game should have been about Tough Mom wrecking the government instead of whatever happened. I only played like three hours of it but Tough Mom was the best. Hair chocobo was second best.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ImpAtom posted:

Catgirls are the most played race in FFXIV and Y'sholta is the only significant catgirl NPC so it makes sense to use her.

She's the only main character besides the player character in XIV who isn't the absolute worst as well. I swear every single lovely thing in that game's story is directly the fault of that stupid elf that tells you what to do.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Alphinaud is a goddamn treasure and I will hear no slander of him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

She's the only main character besides the player character in XIV who isn't the absolute worst as well. I swear every single lovely thing in that game's story is directly the fault of that stupid elf that tells you what to do.

Okay I basically automatically started tallying up the actual sins of the Scions in XIV. Spoiling only the things that happen during or immediately leading up to the latest expansion:

Thancred: Goes and gets himself possessed, acting as one of the central antagonists of A Realm Reborn.
Alphinaud: Is so bad at diplomacy he accidentally facilitates an assassination/coup attempt that leaves a great ally captured and crippled, gets one Scion killed (nearly more, but Y'shtola's just that good), and leaves the remnants fugitives hiding in a foreign nation.
Urianger: Goes and acts as a double agent for literally no good reason.
Minfilia: Gets captured once, but I'm not going to call that her fault. Otherwise, is slightly irritating and is a woman in a position of power, which apparently makes her the worst. Also, weird accent.
Y'shtola: Accidentally blinds herself while saving everybody else. Can still handle just fine when blind.
Alisae: Fucks off on her own for ages, but again, I'm not going to blame her; look what the alternative is.
Yda: Lied about her identity for ages, but turned out to actually be even more badass after she stopped doing so. Did accidentally aid a central guy responsible for that assassination/coup attempt, though.
Papalymo: Also aided assassination/coup guy.

Tataru is fine.

So basically, if they're male and taller than an eight year old, we're better off without them.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Feb 3, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I’m going to nitpick here, Tataru is not fine.

She is amazing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

So basically, if they're male and taller than an eight year old, we're better off without them.

I just remember Minfilia talking a lot and it got really boring. But otherwise, yeah. Most of them do kind of suck. I haven't played the game since finishing the first expansion so I don't know what's happened since if that made any of them better or not.

Speaking of FFXIV though; I still find it hilarious how Shiva loving a dragon was a plot point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm okay with her being the rep for FFXIV, since she's the best Scion.
Backhanded compliment.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Y'shtola is sassy and wonderful and I will hear no statements otherwise.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Dragonball FighterZ trunks can deflect projectiles with his sword and they can actually explode in the background

https://twitter.com/OreoTheWolf/status/959705136762441728
Note how difficult it actually is to do this in a fight and AFAIK the only character that can deflect projectiles.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

Note how difficult it actually is to do this in a fight and AFAIK the only character that can deflect projectiles.

Every character can deflect projectiles, but it's a specific move that everybody has. The fact that some of Trunk's regular moves can also deflect is unique to him.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can't get over how fun the drones in Watch_Dogs2 are. You have a Jumper, a land drone that can, well, jump and interact physically with objects, stealing or hacking specific locks, and a Quadcopter, that flies around inconspicuously and can hack objects remotely. Sometimes you can complete the mission using only those, and while I believe barging in guns blazing is a bit contradictory with the themes of the game, taking out your enemies by making their own grenades explode, making their cars run over them or exploding near gas vents is a-ok.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hi, I finally startedPrey. I was glad that in the very start you can jump into the helicopter blades which does kill you.

And it's an achievement. :haw:

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

graybook posted:

Hi, I finally startedPrey. I was glad that in the very start you can jump into the helicopter blades which does kill you.

And it's an achievement. :haw:

I really like the intro sequence as a whole.

I just started playing FFXII: Zodiac Age. XII was already probably my favorite FF title, but I love the changes to the job system. In the early previews of the game everyone made it sound like it was just a straight copy of the IZJS version, I didn't realize they changed stats a bit and let you double up on jobs. IZJS was already an improvement over the balance in the original, but did have some weird issues with capping stats, and of course unused jobs. From what I've seen so far Zodiac Age fixes that pretty handily and lets you feel like you have a ton more options for customization. The double job thing just feels fun.

I still wish that the whole party leveled up all the time though, swapping characters out constantly to keep levels averaged is a pain, so I just decide on a main party and dump three characters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MrAptronym posted:

I really like the intro sequence as a whole.

It's absolutely chalk full of little things both plot-spoilers that hint at the big reveal coming up and things to come and completely inane ones like your dude or lady tapping their feet to the music. Which implies the background music is actually there and not just a thing the player hears. As much as I love the whole game, I think the intro is still my favorite moment.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
hell loving yeah, I'm going to watch some goddamn dogs

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Get the taunt upgrade for your jumper drone ASAP.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Samuringa posted:

hell loving yeah, I'm going to watch some goddamn dogs

I see someone has found the best shirt.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've constantly struggled to come up with a good reason to switch away from the day-glo DLC outfit or the amazing dazzle camo suit from mid-way in the game.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
W_D2 is the rare game where it literally feels like they fixed every single complaint about the first one. I remember being so disappointed you could only reskin your outfit in the first one and there were hardly any dogs at all, watched or otherwise!

Nuebot posted:

It's absolutely chalk full of little things

It could definitely use more chalk tbh

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Nuebot posted:

It's absolutely chalk full of little things both plot-spoilers that hint at the big reveal coming up and things to come and completely inane ones like your dude or lady tapping their feet to the music. Which implies the background music is actually there and not just a thing the player hears. As much as I love the whole game, I think the intro is still my favorite moment.

If you bring something from your room and leave it on the rooftop (but not the helipad!) it'll still be there when you "land".

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm playing Divinity 2 and it's really scratching that Baldur's Gate itch, but characters walk around hazards and traps. :aaa:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I started Xenoblade Chronicles 2

There are a lot of tutorials and none of them are saved

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm playing Divinity 2 and it's really scratching that Baldur's Gate itch, but characters walk around hazards and traps. :aaa:

Don't worry, they do other dumb poo poo so you'll feel at home soon enough.

Divinity 2 is really good all the same.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ZenVulgarity posted:

I started Xenoblade Chronicles 2

There are a lot of tutorials and none of them are saved

As in they show up again if you restart the game?

If so, that confirms I will never play that anime titty game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, as in you can never view them again if you forgot something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

No, as in you can never view them again if you forgot something.

Hahahaha that's somehow worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I like kitties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_iHrzETdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQFGpxomlc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOsWTclqu2I