Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

OH MY GOD ARMY SUPPLIES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's still Warscape, just bumped up to 64-bit ever since Total Warhammer came out.

As I understand it the jump between 32 and 64 bit amounts to a complete rewrite for a lot of game engines. They forked Warhammer and ToB at Attila it could end up being very different.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hell yeah to formable kingdoms.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I want a Flower War saga game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Family Trees are back, day 1 purchase guaranteed :hellyeah:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

dammit i was hoping i could ignore this game but nope they put actual effort into it. That new recruitment system :fap:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah this game went from "when's three kingdoms come out?" to me pre-ordering it

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Being one of my favorite times/places historically I can't wait. Can I mass longbowmen? I want to mass longbowmen, but I don't know if the 9th century is a bit early for that or not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PureRok posted:

Being one of my favorite times/places historically I can't wait. Can I mass longbowmen? I want to mass longbowmen, but I don't know if the 9th century is a bit early for that or not.

I mean, given it’s the series where you can mass roman ninjas

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think shield wall medium and heavy infantry should be able to walk to archer only army with low-ish casualties.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

alex314 posted:

I think shield wall medium and heavy infantry should be able to walk to archer only army with low-ish casualties.

Yeah, this seems somewhat reasonable, however a good historical counterpoimnt is surprisingly the battle of Marathon. Basically the Athenian strategy for the battle revolved around exposing them to the Persian archers as little as possible, which they essentially did by forming up in a very thin line in contrast with the usual deep phalanx (this was also done to cover more ground and maximize the frontline that engaged the Persians) and beginning their charge from much further away (beginning somewhat outside the range of the Persian archers essentially). This combined to make them cover ground faster and thus being subjected to fewer volleys, and to make more of the arrows miss the charging Athenian soldiers. Simply marching steadily towards the Persian lines does not seem to have been a possibility (this "maneuver" became a training routine later for Greek citizen soldiers, running several hundred meters full armor and carring their shields and weapons).

It should be noted that the shields of Greek hoplites were very light actually, being designed to cover as much of the body as possible while also being light enough to be effectively used in battle, there are therefore depictions and mentions of shields being pierced by arrows, wounding or killing the wielder on a number of occasions, so a force with more robust shields might not have to perform a marathon maneuver in the same way to protect themselves against archers. There seems to be some hints at this in the battle of Thermopylae as well, the Spartans were not content to stand their ground and sustain the volleys of Xerxes's archers but actually feigned retreat multiple times to goad the Persians into pursuing so they could fight them at close quarters.

/Hoplite warfare derail

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reinforcements seriously need to just start on the map. Or at the very least, make them present in deployment so you can properly group and stance them and give them marching orders so that they show up and move to where you want them instead of waddling on, clogging up the UI, in a random order. Reinforcement mechanics are seriously the worst, by far, game-ruiningest, feature since 40-unit battles became a thing.

Posted this in Hams thread but it belongs here too. The reinforcement feature in every TW since AI generals were a thing is so hilariously bad that I avoid reinforcing myself unless it's a clear autoresolve victory.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Reinforcements seriously need to just start on the map. Or at the very least, make them present in deployment so you can properly group and stance them and give them marching orders so that they show up and move to where you want them instead of waddling on, clogging up the UI, in a random order. Reinforcement mechanics are seriously the worst, by far, game-ruiningest, feature since 40-unit battles became a thing.

Posted this in Hams thread but it belongs here too. The reinforcement feature in every TW since AI generals were a thing is so hilariously bad that I avoid reinforcing myself unless it's a clear autoresolve victory.

Generally I just deploy my army close to the reinforcement point and form up in the beginning, but it can become a problem in battles where you don't have the time to do this for various reasons.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Or your reinforcements deploy behind the enemy. I think it was the most noticeable in Warhammer. I didn't mind the opportunity to trash one enemy stack that entered battlefield piecemeal and then reform to face the original one.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fncKdOg2mbk

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The best thing really is all these new ideas. I'll put it on my to buy list for certain then. Going to be a good year for Total War.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

The best thing really is all these new ideas. I'll put it on my to buy list for certain then. Going to be a good year for Total War.

Yeah it was already on my to buy list because I'm a shameless consumer and it's not like TW has any meaningful competition beyond its own sometimes-rapid release schedules.

It is, however, rapidly making itself a "buy on launch" title.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Somebody on the dev team has been playing Crusader Kings.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Oh my god I am so excited for all these new features in Britannia. It's like they decided to make a historic dream game to offset all the new fantasy stuff

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Or it is like they got teams working on different games but not releasing them at the same time.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CA Everyone Was Christian Part 2 posted:

I'd be curious how you'd back up your claims about Guthrum, as all the records we have on him say nothing about him not being Christian once he was baptised, and the kingdom he went to rule would produce in the next few decades a lot of coins dedicated to St Edmund the Martyr. Hard to think of it being a major pagan area when it was clear that this Christian saint cult was an important part of it.

WE don't know if Guthfrid/guthred was pagan, the point was that him being Pagan, or there being pagans around, did not stop there also being an Archbishop of York. It is likely that many churches within the Danelaw area remained in use during this era, we just don't have the documents to confirm it as there is a lack of documents from the Danelaw as a whole from this time. Many of the churches seem to have immediately been brought back into the normal diocese system once different parts of the Danelaw were re-conquered by the English, which would imply a continuity of use.

I'd also like to see what makes you say the Ui Imair were still pagan, as there is certainly a debate about when they converted with dates ranging from as early as the 840's up until the late 10-th century.

Despite wide-ranging conquests and activities by pagan groups across the British Isles, and many attacks on churches, few churches seem to have been abandoned and much Christian worship continued in areas nominally under pagan rule.

With no evidence of actual attempts to remove Christianity from the British isles by invading vikings, and plenty of evidence for pagans and Christians seemingly living alongside within the same kingdoms, a religion mechanic where you've got to essentially purge the other from existence is not consistent with what we know of the time and what was going on.

The should have phrased it differently. It looks like the real reason to remove religious conflict is that the Vikings never cared for a war on Christianity. Which I'd largely agree with. Only the Christian monks write much about how the Vikings hated Christianity instead of merely wanting to sack the monasteries that encompass like a quarter of the entire monetized economy of the island. I guess they did not want to make a whole new religion mechanic that doesn't revolve around totally replacing other religions.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Third World Reggin posted:

Or it is like they got teams working on different games but not releasing them at the same time.

Yeah, that's what I mean. The saga team just went wild with features not shared by WH and that proooobably won't carry over to 3k

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Generation Internet posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. The saga team just went wild with features not shared by WH and that proooobably won't carry over to 3k

I would be surprised if the new recruitment mechanic doesn't become standard for Three Kingdoms and beyond. It sounds like a good change. Maybe the research changes too. Other stuff like removing agents entirely and the revamp to generals, I doubt those will carry over for non-saga TW games in the future.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gadzuko posted:

removing agents entirely, I doubt those will carry over for non-saga TW games in the future.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Rome/Med 2 spies were the best agents, fight me if you disagree

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Rome/Med 2 spies were the best agents, fight me if you disagree

Best agents are warhammer ones, because you can stick them in your armies to buff dudes/kill poo poo/cast spells and ignore the campaign map agent game

Which reminds me, based on a couple vids it looks like followers aren’t post battle loot anymore, your character has all the followers and your player agency is buffing the specific sort of follower you want. That is way better. Play 50 turns of any warhammer game and you're inevitably spammed with 50 copies of the same useless follower. Looks like in Thrones you can level up your bard or priest or whatever followers for your econ/public order governor and then level your shieldbearer or sergeant or whatevers for your frontline general character. Much better. Famous dude should already have a posse, he just picks who to promote.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 2, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The ones in Fall Of The Samurai are good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are they going to keep the post victory looting reward from Warhammer? I loved sustaining my orc economy by bashing in skulls and eating armies.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are they going to keep the post victory looting reward from Warhammer? I loved sustaining my orc economy by bashing in skulls and eating armies.

"Eat Captives" should be an option!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I really hope there's enough feature changes to blow the lids off of TWC types. Limited building slots were already game-breaking arcade poo poo for the childish fantasy masses, so what happens when minor cities have only ONE slot? Breakdowns, hopefully.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The minor cities just look like the villages of Empire/Napoleon. Hopefully the AI doesn't just torch your poo poo constantly.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Best agents are warhammer ones, because you can stick them in your armies to buff dudes/kill poo poo/cast spells and ignore the campaign map agent game

Which reminds me, based on a couple vids it looks like followers aren’t post battle loot anymore, your character has all the followers and your player agency is buffing the specific sort of follower you want. That is way better. Play 50 turns of any warhammer game and you're inevitably spammed with 50 copies of the same useless follower. Looks like in Thrones you can level up your bard or priest or whatever followers for your econ/public order governor and then level your shieldbearer or sergeant or whatevers for your frontline general character. Much better. Famous dude should already have a posse, he just picks who to promote.

Wrong, they take up a unit slot which means you can't fit more dinosaurs

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The minor cities just look like the villages of Empire/Napoleon. Hopefully the AI doesn't just torch your poo poo constantly.

you can put all the lizardmen heroes on dinosaurs :hist101:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

do you even lizardmen bro

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Hopefully the AI doesn't just torch your poo poo constantly.

Quoting this for when the AI just torches our poo poo constantly

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

do you even lizardmen bro

They should embed in a separate tab like in Empire, there I said it. Empire is good.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Play 50 turns of any warhammer game and you're inevitably spammed with 50 copies of the same useless follower

Seriously.

No Mannfred, we do not gnaw on our kitty.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You think that is bad.

This was from one turn as dark elves.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Follower spam has never been worse than in Rome 2, where you end up with 50 followers of different names but the exact same mechanical effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

You think that is bad.

This was from one turn as dark elves.

"I wish to be friends with that entire unit. Make it so."