Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mojo1701a posted:

I'm taking meds, and working on my situation, but once in a while, I just want to vent. That's it. Which is why all of those self-congratulatory posts and "likes" are insulting because you keep claiming "let's talk" without the corollary of "let's listen". I realize the average person may not be equipped to do something, but don't share this bullshit and claim something about a "dialogue" if you're not willing to even listen.

Yeah I feel that. No one is obligated to support anyone else if it's too hard, but do not pretend, you know?

Lot's of people will be all "omfg I'm so sad, x problem happened" and try to correlate it with mental illness. Or they'll list off a time that they were sad and insist that you just gotta buck up and have a positive attitude and put Y behind you. They'll ask what's wrong, hear an immediate incident, and then dismiss Y. Where Y isn't a real issue, you might be far past it, but it's a trigger that sent you spiraling into bad thoughts. Frankly my mother is a genius at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

Phone peeve: when people ask "one more thing" six or seven times in a row.

I loving hate working with Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I feel for people who can't take being a constant venting recipient where you have to play therapist for them, but just deleting them without saying anything is such a passive aggressive/cowardly way to deal with it. Even friendships need boundaries.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I switched to Hulu from Netflix a couple months back, and while Netflix had its issues, the number of unique ways Hulu breaks is frustrating as hell.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I switched to Hulu from Netflix a couple months back, and while Netflix had its issues, the number of unique ways Hulu breaks is frustrating as hell.

Even when I move back to the US I will never subscribe to Hulu because I feel like they started the trend that infected amazon prime and netflix where they blocked VPNs.

e: speaking of streaming services, it drives me nuts when the video streams fine but the audio lags behind so there are a few seconds of silence while people are supposed to be talking. If you need to stop to buffer, do it. The "stop to buffer" switch should be based on the slowest of the video/audio feeds or whatever, not just the video.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Feb 2, 2018

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
When, in TV or film, there's a dog that's supposed to be reacting (barking or otherwise) to a character, BUT IT'S CLEARLY LOOKING JUST OFF TO THE SIDE AT ITS TRAINER.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

pet peeve: when people start barraging you with things when you first wake up. chill for a minute, I don't exist yet.

This happens so much, especially now that I work nights. Just because you're awake and alert doesn't mean I am.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mister Mind posted:

When, in TV or film, there's a dog that's supposed to be reacting (barking or otherwise) to a character, BUT IT'S CLEARLY LOOKING JUST OFF TO THE SIDE AT ITS TRAINER.

Imo basically any stupid added dog noises. If a dog does anything on screen there's usually an added bark or whine or growl or whatever. Anyone who has spent like two minutes around a dog knows what they look like when they make x noise and knows that they do not react to most situations by doing any of those!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I feel for people who can't take being a constant venting recipient where you have to play therapist for them

I wonder if there's any money to be made in a venting hotline. Just a phone number where people can call and bitch someone out or just talk through whatever their frustration is. I feel like I'm often the person my friends and family vent to and I'm wondering if I can monetize this skill of listening to people complain, without offering any answers or help, just letting them talk and not getting offended when they raise their voices a little from time to time.

Or does it actually have to be a person you know in order for it to be cathartic?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

Or does it actually have to be a person you know in order for it to be cathartic?
I don't know, I find this thread pretty cathartic. :shobon:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Yeah, the reason I post so much in here is to vent without a bunch of people I know trying to offer advice and whatnot, when all I want to do is get it off my chest (and maybe hear someone else go "Hey, me too!" once in a while).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Parasol Prophet posted:

Yeah, the reason I post so much in here is to vent without a bunch of people I know trying to offer advice and whatnot, when all I want to do is get it off my chest (and maybe hear someone else go "Hey, me too!" once in a while).

I have a bunch of friends I talk to regularly who are nice people, but really can't understand past their privilege, for lack of a better term. I realize we all have our own problems in life and whatnot, but there are some people who always think they have the answer and will say "Well, why can't you just do X? Oh, you're just making excuses!".

I've also noticed that my man friends are much more receptive to these than my woman friends. Could just be my own bias.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail, especially since this is probably way more than just a pet peeve.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah, I had two "friends" ghost me, and that poo poo hurts. Thought about it every day for months, finally come to terms with it, but it's just the way it was done that stings, even if I can accept my behaviour was what was at fault. At least man up and say "I don't want to deal with your poo poo any more, goodbye for ever" it would be way less destructive, especially to someone who is already depressed as gently caress.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imo basically any stupid added dog noises. If a dog does anything on screen there's usually an added bark or whine or growl or whatever. Anyone who has spent like two minutes around a dog knows what they look like when they make x noise and knows that they do not react to most situations by doing any of those!

And cat sounds they just go nuts. Angry, yowling attack meow for a cat that was just laying there!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

And cat sounds they just go nuts. Angry, yowling attack meow for a cat that was just laying there!

And then there’s snakes, who irl make almost 0 noise ever in their lives. But on screen you can bet there will be audible hissing and quite possibly a rattlesnake rattle. Might be a corn snake, might be an anaconda, you can bet the fucker will somehow be rattling.

I currenrly live in and grew up in place where we actually have to pay attention to long grass bc of all the rattlesnakes and I’ve heard them rattle two or three times, ever.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Feb 2, 2018

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
My aging Prius now takes two button pushes to turn off. Almost every time. I've already spent an hour in traffic, now my drat car won't turn off.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And then there’s snakes, who irl make almost 0 noise ever in their lives. But on screen you can bet there will be audible hissing and quite possibly a rattlesnake rattle. Might be a corn snake, might be an anaconda, you can bet the fucker will somehow be rattling.

I currenrly live in and grew up in place where we actually have to pay attention to long grass bc of all the rattlesnakes and I’ve heard them rattle two or three times, ever.

the titular Anaconda in the movie roared. Straight roared. Like a lion. It was so dumb.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sociopastry posted:

the titular Anaconda in the movie roared. Straight roared. Like a lion. It was so dumb.

Oh that reminds me, now every monster in movies is a composite of like, pitched-up coyote screams and poo poo. I get trying to make a complex, scary sound but but dragons sound like aliens sound like dinosaurs sound like giant spiders.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sociopastry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqiWWmAEfTA

it's just something apex predators do.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Oh that reminds me, now every monster in movies is a composite of like, pitched-up coyote screams and poo poo. I get trying to make a complex, scary sound but but dragons sound like aliens sound like dinosaurs sound like giant spiders.

I had the extreme luck on the one safari of my life of hearing a male lion's roar. It was definitely loud and recognizeable but also... pathetic? Like less roar and more grunty cough. Imagine a grumpy housecat x100. Almost laughable. I'm sure there's recordings on youtube.

Also, I'm currently an aggressively depressed sadsack, had a suicide EMT situation a few weeks ago, posted about that in either this or PHUO, and not to get into too much drama but...

But my family, especially my mom and stepdad, have dragged it waaaaay to far into the opposite direction, where their "help" fucks up my recovery. Am I ever asleep? Do I plug in my phone? Do I do literally anything ever where I might not be able to immediately respond to a message? NOPE. It's 100% me ignoring them because that's just how awful I am, plus another 100% of me being in a desperate crisis.

If I express feelings, crisis. If I don't, crisis. Every other day I wake up to 12 texts and voicemails about how worried everyone is and how they came over twice in the middle of the night to knock on the door but I didn't answer, and please please respond and tell me what you need, and also you're so hurtful for not responding, and so on guilt trip panic guilt trip and just gently caress. I'm extremely thankful to have a mom, and one that loving cares, but she is herself an insane sadbrains and the phone bombardments, often accompanied by other family who are responding to whatever crazy story she's concocted, AND often accompanied by late night random door-pounding panicked visits, are literally what fucks me from doing anything active. Seeing that poo poo my brain basically shuts down and I do nothing but lay feebly for hours feeling guilty and listen to podcasts. I have told them time and again that they are not helping, and in fact, hurting. Told them time and again that I reach out to friends and not them because the response from them is inevitably half hysteria and half insult because how could I be so cruel as to be hurting when I was raised by PEOPLE WHO LOVE ME SO MUCH? I am not hiding anything, I am telling you exactly what I need. loving meet me half way or gently caress off with the guilt trips.

I literally got detained by cops and then driven to a hospital for a suicide attempt, then got held at psych for a while. First message I see from my family? Whiny guilt trip about how I ignored them and was so cruel... you know, while I was detained in a gown with no access to any personal belongings. No apparent concern at all for the whole suicide thing, just "oh my god why won't you respond, I cannot believe how cruel and hateful you are being" for pages of iphone text. Fuuuuuuck that,

Ok, that's a lil much for the Pet Peeve thread but it is a peeve of mine and it felt great to type it, so I'm a-posting.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think you'd get better advice from the armchair psychiatrists in e/n.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inspector 34 posted:

I wonder if there's any money to be made in a venting hotline. Just a phone number where people can call and bitch someone out or just talk through whatever their frustration is.
Isn't that what services like Lifeline do?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

starkebn posted:

Yeah, I had two "friends" ghost me, and that poo poo hurts. Thought about it every day for months, finally come to terms with it, but it's just the way it was done that stings, even if I can accept my behaviour was what was at fault. At least man up and say "I don't want to deal with your poo poo any more, goodbye for ever" it would be way less destructive, especially to someone who is already depressed as gently caress.

I was best friends with a girl for about seven years. We ended up moving away from each other but talked almost every night, had years of roleplay games, which we did most nights, and then she started getting distant. I asked her what was wrong, then started feeling ignored after a week or two of no reply, and got pissed, to the point I told her off for basically ignoring me for a month. She blasted me back that she was sick of being my friend and didn't want to feel obligated to talk every night and she put me on ignore and didn't talk to me for years. I never did find out what had started the distance, other than she'd been having a rough time with her family and didn't want to 'burden me' with it.

Then one day, out of the blue, she emailed me. I had emailed her a few times trying to reconnect, but when she replied she only wanted consolation about her new friends dumping on her. I was lonely and dumb. Even when she clearly was using me just to feel better, and didn't care what I needed or wanted to talk about or vent about, she was back. This time there was no big fight; after about a year she just started ignoring me again, ghosted when I asked if she was okay. Haven't heard from her in about four or five years now. I doubt I will again.

The thing is, even after she reached back out to me, I didn't really miss her. I think I missed all the memories and the fun we had once had, all the rpg we had done. I wonder how many people stay in bad friendships or relationships just for something like that.

Peeve: people who do not loving think about the words they are about to say.

A friend/coworker of mine just got back from being off work due to getting T-boned (not his fault) and one of the girls in our base asked him how he was still a driver because he was so bad at it (and she and everyone knows the accident was not his fault and he was loving lucky not to be paralyzed or killed in that accident). Same week, one of the shipper dudes almost got beat down by another worker for telling her that her daughter with type-1 diabetes has a "real liability" and she shouldn't be allowed to drive or get a basic job in retail because of her 'disability.'

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
When people say "There is always fault on both sides, so I'm not taking sides!" in a conflict. Guess what? When a divorce ends with one person going to prison for abuse, that person was guilty. Cutting the victim of said abuse from your circle of friends because you "don't want to take sides" is a really lovely thing to do.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BattyKiara posted:

When people say "There is always fault on both sides, so I'm not taking sides!" in a conflict. Guess what? When a divorce ends with one person going to prison for abuse, that person was guilty. Cutting the victim of said abuse from your circle of friends because you "don't want to take sides" is a really lovely thing to do.

Sometimes there is fault on both sides, sometimes it is clearly black and white. I'd say in an abuse situation, it's clearly black and white.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

BattyKiara posted:

What the gently caress?! You are taking a side there, you're on the side of the abuser and you should be cut out of the lives of everyone you know

Sorry you know such a piece of poo poo BattyKiara.

I came here to post about some girl watching soaps on the train on her phone at full volume but now I'm mad about this instead

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

MightyJoe36 posted:

Sometimes there is fault on both sides, sometimes it is clearly black and white. I'd say in an abuse situation, it's clearly black and white.

Look it was a one-time thing, maybe he was super stressed at work and took it out on you and that's not okay but you understand why he might when you can be a little bitchy?

Years ago, right before her divorce from him, a friend confided in me that her last pregnancy was a result of rape by her husband. The entire circle of friends insisted he would never ever ever rape anyone and she was lying. The last thing you do to a person who says they were raped is sigh and say no, he'd never do that, stop making this about you.

When my parents got divorced, it was almost funny because although my dad had lots of friends in the neighborhood, pretty much all of them sided with my mom, not because of abuse, but because it became known he'd been cheating on her and tried to take the house in the divorce, which would have left a stay-at-home-mom and her two teenage kids homeless.

Peeve: Anything that says it is a Natural Cure. Did you know that rubbing alcohol causes cancer!!!!! It's true, I read about it on NaturalNews.com! Bitch, arsenic is Natural, I'm not eating it still.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, DNA needs phosphate ions holding it together and haemoglobin needs an iron ion at it's core, but you don't see people drinking phosphorous or eating rebar. The body has a lot of poo poo in it that is dangerous in the wrong places, because it knows where it's supposed to go and gets it from other living things that have already put it there, ie meat and vegetable matter.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Years ago, right before her divorce from him, a friend confided in me that her last pregnancy was a result of rape by her husband. The entire circle of friends insisted he would never ever ever rape anyone and she was lying. The last thing you do to a person who says they were raped is sigh and say no, he'd never do that, stop making this about you.

About 10 years ago, a friend of a friend was accused of abuse by his wife. She had called the police and had him removed from the house. Everyone in that group immediately rallied around him and said she was crazy, he'd never do anything like that, etc. She ended up filing for divorce.

A couple of years later, he gets married again (I was at their wedding). About six months later, I hear on the local news that he was arrested for assaulting his (then) current wife.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Youtube thumbnails. Close your drat mouths, people. Also stop putting the punchline to the video in the thumbnail making it pointless to watch.

e: as an example

I don't know why it annoys me so much, but people who do that whether it's on youtube or in real life where they feel like they have to pull a wacky face when they get their picture taken irritates me.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Feb 3, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
From what I remember, some YouTubers did an experiment and Goofy Face Thumbnail actually gets higher hit rates than anything else.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

From what I remember, some YouTubers did an experiment and Goofy Face Thumbnail actually gets higher hit rates than anything else.

That's also why mobile game icons are like this:

Quite repulsive to me tbh.

Here's a related pet peeve of mine - mobile game screenshots on store page that don't have even a single screenshot of actual game. They are always concept art or composited images with lot of buzzwords on them. Why would I download something that I have no idea what it actually looks like?
I guess it's some focus group thing as well, like seeing what game looks beforehand makes for less downloads from average people?
This is why I only have 4 games installed on my phone.

Sininu has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Feb 3, 2018

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

When you're trying to to figure out some problem, more often than wjike trying to use software or coding, and the solution turns out to the be the first thing you tried which inexplicably didn't work. I have actually had code not work, changed it to something else that also didn't work, and then changed it back and suddenly it ran perfectly. I've also had the opposite problem where a script would run flawlessly for a couple of weeks and then suddenly run into encoding problems or otherwise not work.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Speaking of coding, a peeve of mine is places like stackoverflow where everyone is so pedantic and gives you solutions to everything except the thing you are asking them about. Like you say my code broke with this error what do i do, and they say "your code isn't written with best practices, you should change x y and z" but their suggestions never address the actual problem. It drives me nuts because they are submitting an answer just to get points but it is not an answer.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I don't know anything about programming but we use a structural analysis program at work and a pet peeve is how often the solution to it crashing is just closing the model and reopening it so it can happen again in a few hours.

Fix the bug. Fix it. FIX IT PROPERLY YOU FUCKS.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Youtube thumbnails. Close your drat mouths, people. Also stop putting the punchline to the video in the thumbnail making it pointless to watch.

e: as an example

I don't know why it annoys me so much, but people who do that whether it's on youtube or in real life where they feel like they have to pull a wacky face when they get their picture taken irritates me.

And then you get the thumbnails that helpfully use an arrow and a circle to POINT OUT something IMPORTANT to the video (except that the screen never has any relevance to the video at all).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I watch a lot of clips from recent celebrity talkshows, like QI and Would I Lie To You, and they often have cliclkbait thumbnails. At least in one of the videos in the description of one that was obviously a poor editing job they apologised for the clickbait, but still, just don't. There is also one from 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown involving Jon Richardson and Rachel Riley eating whole peppers due to a dare Jon made as a joke, and the thumbnail uses the faces they end up pulling as their faces are incinerated - to be fair they are funny in context, but in the thumbnail they just look stupid.

For those not familiar with UK panel shows: QI (standing for Quite Interesting while also being a play on IQ) is a talk/game show about random facts based on certain stated topics where the players get points based on how interesting they are being while losing points and getting embarrassed by a claxon if they give an obvious and incorrect answer, although only the guy who does the scoring knows how the numbers actually work.

Would I Lie To You is a show where people tell amusing anecdotes and the opposing team needs to question them on them to determine whether the situation really occurred or if they are lying about it. Claudia Winkleman is a master of the game, and Bob Mortimer tells the best stories due to coming up with really funny names for the major players ("Lovely lad, really big head, "Sniper's Dream" we called him").

8 Out of 10 Cats is a show in which the contestants try to guess whether certain statistics are true, and the cast have often done Countdown but with farcical comedy undermining and enhancing the game itself.

On Topic: An actual pet peeve is that sometimes I find weird scratches that I cannot for the life of me figure out where they came from, Phantom Injuries. Although my latest one I just figured out while typing this post- a few days ago while washing my dishes I accidentally grazed my hand with the tines of a fork sticking up in the rack. Mystery Solved.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Feb 3, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

On Topic: An actual pet peeve is that sometimes I find weird scratches that I cannot for the life of me figure out where they came from, Phantom Injuries. Although my latest one I just figured out while typing this post- a few days ago while washing my dishes I accidentally grazed my hand with the tines of a fork sticking up in the rack. Mystery Solved.

This happens to me somewhat frequently where a big scratch will appear on my stomach/legs overnight. The obvious answer is that I scratched myself but sometimes they are deep enough that my tshirt ends up sticking to my skin from the dried blood, which is something I would think would wake me up but apparently not.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Our bodies are loving dumb and our brains are not much better - our saving grace is that we are aware of both so we can micromanage them. Our brains being stingy with a chemical? There are drugs that can help with that. Need to be careful of course, some things are hard to tamper with without loving it up ourselves, but at least we can see where we went wrong.

Hell, once I nearly collided with my own eyelash because by brain panicked. I was not paying attention ahead of me, looking in shop windows and such on the way home, and suddenly on looking forward I saw something filling my vision and I practically skidded to a halt thinking I was going to crash into a pole - turned out one of my eyelashes had stuck to the lens of my glasses. :v:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Speaking of coding, a peeve of mine is places like stackoverflow where everyone is so pedantic and gives you solutions to everything except the thing you are asking them about. Like you say my code broke with this error what do i do, and they say "your code isn't written with best practices, you should change x y and z" but their suggestions never address the actual problem. It drives me nuts because they are submitting an answer just to get points but it is not an answer.

Similarly, if you even dare use the word "random", you get a swarm of people all Kramering over each other to tell you "Random? Actually there's no such thing as TRUE random in programming, it's not possible :smuggo:" no poo poo but typing "Effectively random but not truly random as computers cannot create a 100% random number this is so extremely important to be pedantic about please notice how smart I am" every drat time is a pain in the rear end.