Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Giant Isopod posted:

How does VMC Black Grey compare to VMC German Grey?

Darker than German Grey, and I think a little less blue.

Black Grey is perfectly highlighted by VMC Basalt Grey, and shaded by a black wash.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Black Grey is perfectly highlighted by VMC Basalt Grey, and shaded by a black wash.

Which wash do you use in particular? When I use army painter dark tone it gets pretty gloss looking, while its really the matte effect of VMC black grey that I love so much.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

Booley posted:

Does anyone have any advice for traveling with hobby supplies? I'm going to be spending a week and a half in a hotel room on the other side of the country and don't want to spend all my evenings watching TV. I'm planning on getting all the airbrush work done on a couple squads that I can bring, and I'll check a bag. My biggest question is about a palette, since I use a wet palette at home but I'm not sure it'll travel well. The citadel palette pad seems overpriced, but its also the only thing I can see on amazon smaller than 9x12.

I'm assuming weight/size isn't unlimited. So usually dollar stores have a selection of those little clear plastic trays that click shut and have little dividers. I use them for small delicate paint brushes and tools. Ziplock baggy a few paint pots, and check art stores for palette paper book things, they have more selection of sizes though not necessarily better prices. And I mean actual art stores not loving Michaels (most areas have a supply store where all the cool art school kids go)

Big McHuge posted:

I live in an apartment in the frozen north. However, I have a spare bathroom with a fan. If I put a towel on the bottom of the door and wear a mask, I should be alright with priming a single miniature in there, right?

Follow-up question: Is it possible to get a decent zenithal prime using spray cans?

Totally can, but get a shoe box or something to catch over spray or your walls will catch particles/get dusted. I wouldn't even bother with the towel if the fans on, but generally I don't care either.

moths posted:

Why are you nerds buying so many? You only have one butthole.

Don't assume how much I can stuff up there :colbert:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

dexefiend posted:

Thanks for the answer, and double thanks for the highlight and shade. I've been doing a lot of futzing around with near-blacks and not happy with them so this is much appreciated.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I use VMC Dark Gray highlighted with VMC Basalt Gray and then washed with Army Painter Dark Tone and I think it looks great.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So I finally decided to try and learn how to paint with an airbrush since I have a bunch of tanks left for my marines. I have the first razorback/rhino I hand painted (still minus all detail work and iconography):

But I don't think the scheme works with the Vindi, pred and Whirlwind I have left, I'm debating painting every tank with a different pattern, like heraldry on old shields, or painting each class with a different scheme (IE duping the rhino/back and doing something new with the other models. I like the idea of painting the softer targets with the tan facing and the more durable units with blue facing as if to draw fire. I'm playing with this here:

(Can you tell I'm not artsy?)

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Philthy posted:

Gold star. Just making sure Ivory and Hull Red were on there and they are.

For this recommended paint list, has their been any consensus on the best "effects" type of paint? Terrain, slime, blood that sort of thing.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got a carnifex and a few stealers done this week.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Painting my first non-bones miniatures and I'm struggling with paint thickness a lot. I'm using reaper paints and VMC and thinning with a 1:1 ratio of water, but the paint seems super thin and isn't sticking to the mini the way that they did for the bones. I have to do 5-6 coats to get a solid base coat, and even then the high points still seem lighter than the other parts. I realize I could just not thin the paint as much, but I keep reading that that's a rookie mistake.

Part of it could be that I'm trying to paint a really textured part of the mini (a fur cape), and the only other factor that's different from bones is that I primed this one with krylon colormaster white primer. Just wondering if anyone has any advice?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 3, 2018

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm hoping to crowd source some wing color ideas and opinions. The pics are a bit over saturated and washed out, but the models are a contrasting teal and purple (Sotek Green to Temple Guard Blue, Xerxes Purple to Genestealer Purple/Emperors Children) with an accent of grey (Eshin Grey to Administratum Grey). They're not blended yet, but I'm looking forward at how I want to the wings and looking at peacock feathers and MSP suggested rainbow coloring, like a parrot. What are your thoughts?

Peacock like feathers would be hard, but doable. I'm concerned that it may be too "green" as I plan to use the same colors as the armor. But I can also break up the wings with purple on the inner sections that move into green on the outer?

My first redone (rough) Swooping Hawk below:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finally finished!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Good choice of color palette and nice blends on that sword. Ace!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Victory Lap!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well that turned out pretty drat good.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

For the first time I used an airbrush to basecoat an army with exactly what was required and I'm really happy with how quickly it all went down. I have to ask though, is there an intermediate step between using it purely for basecoat and going bananas with masking?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

For the first time I used an airbrush to basecoat an army with exactly what was required and I'm really happy with how quickly it all went down. I have to ask though, is there an intermediate step between using it purely for basecoat and going bananas with masking?

Yeah, you can start doing some basic shading/highlighting as well without any real masking. Just spray a lighter color onto the raised surfaces.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If applied some GW crackle paint too thin, to the point of there being no crackle in some areas, is there any reason I should just slather some more of it over those parts?

Mikey Purp posted:

Painting my first non-bones miniatures and I'm struggling with paint thickness a lot. I'm using reaper paints and VMC and thinning with a 1:1 ratio of water, but the paint seems super thin and isn't sticking to the mini the way that they did for the bones. I have to do 5-6 coats to get a solid base coat, and even then the high points still seem lighter than the other parts. I realize I could just not thin the paint as much, but I keep reading that that's a rookie mistake.

Part of it could be that I'm trying to paint a really textured part of the mini (a fur cape), and the only other factor that's different from bones is that I primed this one with krylon colormaster white primer. Just wondering if anyone has any advice?

Are you priming before you paint? Priming is not really optional for non-bones minis. e: ok you are, I missed that somehow...

I thin by feel but 1:1 seems really thin to me for a basecoat. Some Reaper paints are also pre-thinned, I forget which line that is though. Thick your paints imo.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

The Moon Monster posted:

If applied some GW crackle paint too thin, to the point of there being no crackle in some areas, is there any reason I should just slather some more of it over those parts?

Yeah no reason why not, though I would put down a darker colour first before the second coat of crackle, so that it shows through when it cracks.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Anybody out there with a bottle of Vallejo Model Air black grey, #71.056, and if so, is your batch way more green-grey than black-grey?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can add water to those crackling paints to get more medium and a different crackling effect.

Don't overdo it though. Something like 8:1 crackle:water is the sweet spot.

Southern Heel posted:

I airbrush all my small bright color blocks, like red or white, after I prime. Highlights and everything. Then I mask those up and then do the rest of my base colors.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Hi all, I'm wondering if there's a good place to go for bulk 40k-scale scenery bits (windows, gun mounts, walkways, statues, etc)? My wife and I decided to make an Imperator Titan for some reason, and so we'll be in need of a shitton of bits. Already checking out Pegasus and Secret Weapon Miniatures, so got those. Much thanks :) .

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

So while I love most of this, I think having the tabard be the same bone colour as the helm and shoulders misses a trick. IMO it should be the same red as the rope.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Crossposting from, Historicals thread, I decided that I spend way too much time painting for a substandard result,
so I deliberately did these as quickly as possible while still being somewhat relaxed, I think it was about 4 hours all told:

BULBASAUR posted:

I airbrush all my small bright color blocks, like red or white, after I prime. Highlights and everything. Then I mask those up and then do the rest of my base colors.

I think I need more practise then - I can't imagine being able to hit anything so small as to only catch a small highlight.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thanqol posted:

So while I love most of this, I think having the tabard be the same bone colour as the helm and shoulders misses a trick. IMO it should be the same red as the rope.

I can see the appeal, and I'll admit I hadn't thought of that. In retrospect I think I prefer the white for the tabard; I like using red as an accent color (rope, purity seals, buttons) and I would be worried that if I made the tabard red it would detract too much from the overall style. I might think about using it for my Captain, or I might stick with the notion that the more "bone" color in the uniform the higher the rank.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

Honestly, there is no hard and fast rule about thinning, because all paints are different. Also, thinning to the consistency of "skim milk" is a terrible way to describe anything. It's just something you have to play with.

My first question is are you shaking your paints really well? It take a lot of mixing for these paints and your paint may be in a glob on the bottom of the jar while you're just using colored water. You can get tiny (5-6mm) glass or hematite beads pretty cheaply, and they help with paint agitation when you put them in the bottles (the droppers pop right out.) You can also get a brush handle in the bottle and see if you can stir things up.

What I do is put a couple of drops in my palette, then wet my brush and drop a couple of drops of water into the paint, then stir it up. If you're doing it correctly, the first coat should look kind of bad, and not quite cover. The second coat should cover everything. At absolute most, you might do a third coat - anything more and your paint is way too thin.

Get a model with large surface area, like a Space Marine - prime it up and test your technique out on a large, flat surface. At least you'll be able to determine if it is your paint or just a trick of the lighting on contours.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How many beads per pot do you guys recommend? 2?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I’ve put two beads in each of mine, mainly because I ordered waaaay too many. It seems to work though

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Zuul the Cat posted:

How many beads per pot do you guys recommend? 2?

It depends on what you're using.

For a while I used hematite, because it doesn't rust, but I only put in one bead per pot because hematite is fragile and two hematite beads banging against each other could conceivably shatter. And for my metallics, I used glass beads (hematite is magnetic and I'm paranoid about the metallic pigment; this is probably unreasonable) -- and again only used one per pot, because, well, glass.

I've since switched to stainless steel, and I use two per pot, but the trick is stainless steel will rust unless you get the high-end stuff -- the quality of steel marketed as stainless has really declined over the course of the last fifty years or so, and unless you're buying marine grade, you'll end up with tiny rusted balls shedding what is effectively red-brown pigment into your paint. I decided to trust these because they're specifically sold as paint pot agitators by a hobby paint and model shop, but before that I only knew I needed marine grade steel and wasn't willing to trust random ebay sellers to actually be selling what they claimed to be.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just use one, though two might be better, since I've noticed that one bead tends to go right up that nozzle and get stuck sometimes.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Stephenls posted:

And for my metallics, I used glass beads (hematite is magnetic and I'm paranoid about the metallic pigment; this is probably unreasonable) -- and again only used one per pot, because, well, glass.

My understanding is metallic paint flakes are typically mica.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What type of tape do you guys recommend for masking off painted portions of vehicles for designs? Going to try to mask off my Hemlock & add black stripes with a rattlecan.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
People recommended Tamiya masking tape to me

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can see the appeal, and I'll admit I hadn't thought of that. In retrospect I think I prefer the white for the tabard; I like using red as an accent color (rope, purity seals, buttons) and I would be worried that if I made the tabard red it would detract too much from the overall style. I might think about using it for my Captain, or I might stick with the notion that the more "bone" color in the uniform the higher the rank.

If you're going to stick with white for the tabard, at very least make it a different white to the bone white of the armour. That's just visually confusing to look at, it makes it super easy to misjudge the texture of the cloth. A smooth ulthulan-grey white shaded with agrax would be way preferable IMO. Do a test model, at least.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thanqol posted:

If you're going to stick with white for the tabard, at very least make it a different white to the bone white of the armour. That's just visually confusing to look at, it makes it super easy to misjudge the texture of the cloth. A smooth ulthulan-grey white shaded with agrax would be way preferable IMO. Do a test model, at least.

The quality of the picture isn't very good, but I specifically used a wet blending technique instead of drybrushing to differentiate between the cloth and ceramic. I spent a lot of time experimenting with other colors and whites and ultimately that's what I settled on. I appreciate the input though; it's helpful to run through what I did and make sure that I am sufficiently comfortable in my method.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I'm looking to magnetize my bases and my storage/transport boxes instead of dealing with foam, as Chaos Space Marine stuff is too spikey. I was curious if anyone else has done this. I bought a couple sturdy plastic boxes (Really Useful Boxes brand), but now I need to find the right sized magnets and something to attach them to. So a few questions:

Which size rare earth magnets are perfect for putting under GW bases? I'm looking to do 1 per 25mm/32mm base, 1-2 per 40mm, and 3-4 per 60mm depending on weight.

Anyone have experience with these steel infused sheets? http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/magnetic-sheets/75-steel-rubber-sheet-for-magnetic-trays-and-crafts.html Will they be strong enough for army transportation if they are laid down in each box? Is there a different method people recommend?

Thanks!

Fake James fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 6, 2018

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

darnon posted:

My understanding is metallic paint flakes are typically mica.

The higher quality ones tend to use aluminum. Which is still not magnetic. As I said, I’m probably just being paranoid.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I bought a ton of white vallejo primer and white just isn't doing it for me. I don't want to prime black, because I find it is is way too dark for most models and I hate having to paint 6 layers of a light color to even get it visible. I'm thinking Dark Gray is a good middle ground. Is there any reason why I shouldn't mix black Vallejo PAINT (not primer) in with the white Vallejo primer to darken it? I know primers contain resins vs pigment, but I don't know if I am going to chemically screw something up. The Vallejo page says it can be mixed with "auxiliaries" but doesn't mention paints. http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/primers/family/22

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bazanga posted:

I bought a ton of white vallejo primer and white just isn't doing it for me. I don't want to prime black, because I find it is is way too dark for most models and I hate having to paint 6 layers of a light color to even get it visible. I'm thinking Dark Gray is a good middle ground. Is there any reason why I shouldn't mix black Vallejo PAINT (not primer) in with the white Vallejo primer to darken it? I know primers contain resins vs pigment, but I don't know if I am going to chemically screw something up. The Vallejo page says it can be mixed with "auxiliaries" but doesn't mention paints. http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/primers/family/22

I don't have an answer to your question, but Vallejo's "grey" primer is very light so if you buy more primer be sure to go for "dark grey" or something.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
There’s five Vallejo primers worth mentioning along the spectrum from black to white.

Black primer is black.

German Panzer Grey primer is very, very close to black but not actually there, and at this point seems to me like the ideal dark primer if you’re not priming in prep for actual like black armor or something.

UMS Ghost Grey is closest to what you would expect from a grey primer, being about halfway between their black and white primers. It’s also slightly cool—that is, it has a moderate blue tint.

Grey, which you would expect to be close to halfway between black and white, is very light, but has good coverage.

Their white primer is both white and covers like poo poo unless you shake it really well and use it unthinned.

I’ve found the best zenithal priming solution is German Panzer Grey -> UMS Ghost Grey -> (almost unthinned) White. If you’re not doing fancy bullshit and want a light color that covers well, just their regular grey would probably be ideal.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 7, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to paint dots? I want to make a pattern of dots of the same size, but I can't get them consistent with a brush tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Micron pen if they're tiny.