Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It is, by most accounts, impossible to get Linkedin to give up your personal information. I just checked and they've got three or four accounts under my name- accounts they set up, on their own, with info their system harvested by scraping the internet. Two of them are sending notices to my email inbox.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Polygynous posted:

also from the comments, a slightly less terrible future, also from japan

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/957006039018188800

looks like it's a couple years old, but still, lol

So Lady Dynamite wasn't just being clever?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Discendo Vox posted:

It is, by most accounts, impossible to get Linkedin to give up your personal information. I just checked and they've got three or four accounts under my name- accounts they set up, on their own, with info their system harvested by scraping the internet. Two of them are sending notices to my email inbox.

That sounds like something that should be illegal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Schubalts posted:

New thread title people!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

MiddleOne posted:

New thread title people!

The fall of unicorns: that sounds like something that should be illegal.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Discendo Vox posted:

I set up a linkedin account last year for the first time with an email address I made brand new and it immediately started recommending me women I dated 14 years prior as connections.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

I set up a linkedin account last year for the first time with an email address I made brand new and it immediately started recommending me women I dated 14 years prior as connections.

scary post or subtle brag I can't decide

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

mycomancy posted:

The fall of unicorns: that sounds like something that should be illegal.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
linkedin totally scrapes your gmail account at least and tries to match every person you've ever emailed to a linkedin account

as i discovered when i was informed that someone joined who i hadn't seen in ten years, who i never corresponded with or had any social media contact with except for one email she sent me about housesitting for her for a summer, and linkedin sent me like five emails telling me all about what this person was up to in her job on the other side of the world

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

boner confessor posted:

linkedin totally scrapes your gmail account at least and tries to match every person you've ever emailed to a linkedin account

as i discovered when i was informed that someone joined who i hadn't seen in ten years, who i never corresponded with or had any social media contact with except for one email she sent me about housesitting for her for a summer, and linkedin sent me like five emails telling me all about what this person was up to in her job on the other side of the world

It took them about a year and a half to link me to my boss from other connections and personal email we never communicate with each other with.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Polygynous posted:

also from the comments, a slightly less terrible future, also from japan

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/957006039018188800

looks like it's a couple years old, but still, lol

I'm not going to dive into the Twatter sewer, but are people actually taking that seriously as a serious invention and not realising that it's just a joke scene from a TV commercial?

it involves japan, of course they're taking it seriously

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I suppose I should delete my LinkedIn account if they even allow me to do that

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’d keep it active, just to have control over your own profile. Keep it empty if you don’t want to give them your info.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any time a web page asks permission to access your gmail account tell it "no".

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Schubalts posted:

It is in the EU.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

actionjackson posted:

I suppose I should delete my LinkedIn account if they even allow me to do that

If you figure out how, I'm pretty sure there's a Macarthur and a Nobel in it for you if you publish the process.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

withak posted:

Any time a web page asks permission to access your gmail account tell it "no".

The problem with LinkedIn is that they scrape OTHER people's email accounts and build networks based on that. Even if you have never used LinkedIn, when you create an account, they will already have you "on file" based on every other person who has emailed you or received an email from you who signed up and let them peek at their contacts.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The problem with LinkedIn is that they scrape OTHER people's email accounts and build networks based on that. Even if you have never used LinkedIn, when you create an account, they will already have you "on file" based on every other person who has emailed you or received an email from you who signed up and let them peek at their contacts.

Facebook is the same way. This isn’t unique to LinkedIn.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Trevor Hale posted:

Facebook is the same way. This isn’t unique to LinkedIn.

Yeah, but LinkedIn is far more obvious about it.

Orwell never would have guessed that we would privatize Big Brother.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

BrandorKP posted:

It took them about a year and a half to link me to my boss from other connections and personal email we never communicate with each other with.

They don’t even have to have an email between you, just a shared name linked to an email. Like if I emailed your account A using account 1 then they could match my account 2 to your account B. Facebook also has a huge relational DB to do the same thing. They can predict with high confidence that a person exists despite having no online presence.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

FB's database hosts with a great degree of confidence every person in the third world. There's zero chance they don't have you on it, whether you've ever used the site or not.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cowofwar posted:

They can predict with high confidence that a person exists despite having no online presence.

I wonder if Facebook thinks I exist? I don't have an account but they might because they bought Spotify. On the other hand there are many people with my exact name. The credit agencies occasionally mix us up (which is a pain.) I am pretty sure I've never appeared in any photo posted on Facebook and have probably never been mentioned in a Facebook post. I also haven't show up in web search result since about 2008.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

One of the engineers who designed LinkedIn's data storage told me they scrape EVERYTHING. Their data store includes all of Twitter's public data, everyone's email contacts, and most of Facebook's public data.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Baby Babbeh posted:

One of the engineers who designed LinkedIn's data storage told me they scrape EVERYTHING. Their data store includes all of Twitter's public data, everyone's email contacts, and most of Facebook's public data.

Did you ask him how he sleeps at night?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

I wonder if Facebook thinks I exist? I don't have an account but they might because they bought Spotify. On the other hand there are many people with my exact name. The credit agencies occasionally mix us up (which is a pain.) I am pretty sure I've never appeared in any photo posted on Facebook and have probably never been mentioned in a Facebook post. I also haven't show up in web search result since about 2008.

Facebook doesn't own Spotify

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Nobody owns Spotify. They can’t make money

It’s because they offer a valuable service instead of the Internet companies worth billions that do nothing for anyone

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

That and the licensing demands to be able to operate in the USA are pretty lopsided.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Spotify is pretty much owned by the last few record companies that remain active. They're not allowed to die (that would increase piracy by 100%), but they first have to pay them before they pay the artists and whats left might as well not exist.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

Facebook doesn't own Spotify

I see now they bought an "undisclosed" number of shares. For a while one had to have a Facebook account to have a spotify account, unless one signed up early. I see that has all changed. Good Lord.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

I see now they bought an "undisclosed" number of shares. For a while one had to have a Facebook account to have a spotify account, unless one signed up early. I see that has all changed. Good Lord.
Was that ever the case? I don't remember that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It was very early after the service started. I remember being glad I signed up for an account before it required a linked Facebook account. Guess it didn't last long.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/959856204930482178

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s going to be hilarious when NYC gives them nothing and still wins (because Amazon already bought a ton of office space there)

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s going to be hilarious when NYC gives them nothing and still wins (because Amazon already bought a ton of office space there)

Toronto Canada because of prospective cuts to the US Visa system.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

karthun posted:

Toronto Canada because of prospective cuts to the US Visa system.

As if housing in Toronto wasn't already pricey enough. :smithicide:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I haven't followed to closely, but are there any finalists in California? CA has an extremely broad public records act and open meeting laws which could make for fun.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nm posted:

I haven't followed to closely, but are there any finalists in California? CA has an extremely broad public records act and open meeting laws which could make for fun.

LA

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Oooooooh. Newspapers are really good and aggressive with this stuff generally.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nm posted:

Oooooooh. Newspapers are really good and aggressive with this stuff generally.

Showed up on my Google News feed the day of the announcement, and I'm in Albany, NY, which famously will not be getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

My point being that if amazon has an nda with la, latimes will probably litigate the gently caress out of it. Our PRA comes with attorney fees for violations IIRC.