Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was gonna make a joke about maybe people would ride trains if they could be isolated in their own little sterile room for the whole trip so they don't have any risk of interacting with the wrong kind of people but then i realized that's basically what hyperloop or musk's dumb tunnel company are advertising themselves as ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ate all the Oreos posted:

its at least twice as hard to jack off on a train without people noticing
look at this loving amateur here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i was gonna make a joke about maybe people would ride trains if they could be isolated in their own little sterile room for the whole trip so they don't have any risk of interacting with the wrong kind of people but then i realized that's basically what hyperloop or musk's dumb tunnel company are advertising themselves as ffs

people would ride the train if is was convenient and went to and from where they wanted to go.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
perhaps you should consider being at and going to places that aren't poo poo?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

and yet, when stuck in traffic on the way to work, only the autonomous car enables me to comfortably pass the time jackin' my dilz

e: gently caress, beaten like my meat in rush hour

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

its at least twice as hard to jack off on a train without people noticing

2DCAT posted:

Just lmbo if you're not loving on the metro at 4:30pm

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

why would you want a car that drives itself if you could take a train instead
it's a billion times less likely for that to happen for whatever random scenario the person's driving for.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

e: dumb typo before being sagebrushed

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
all of the apple defenders in the old thread calling anyone who acknowledged the basic truth that updates slow apple phones conspiracy theorists need to be banned

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

people would ride the train if is was convenient and went to and from where they wanted to go.

i ride the train every day because it is exactly that :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amethyst posted:

all of the apple defenders in the old thread calling anyone who acknowledged the basic truth that updates slow apple phones conspiracy theorists need to be banned

dying batteries slow down phones

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

dying batteries slow down phones

no, they don't

dying batteries apparently explode when iphones attempt to use them, so apple slows your phone down instead of replacing them

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm part of a beta testing group and got an offer of $15/mo for a "research project" if I install an app that tracks smartphone usage.

thought it might be Neilson or a research project so I checked it out and lol it's Facebook

quote:

By installing this software, you're giving us (Facebook) permission to collect data from your phone that will help us understand how you browse the internet, and how you use the features in the apps on your device. This data will only be used by Facebook, and won't be shared with unaffiliated third parties.

This means you're letting us collect information such as which apps are on your phone, how and when you use them, data about your activities and content within those apps, as well as how other people interact with you or your content within those apps. You are also letting us collect information about your internet browsing activity (including the websites you visit and data that is exchanged between your device and those websites) and your use of other online services. There are some instances when we will collect this information even where the app uses encryption, or from within secure browser sessions.

nope nope nope

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i assume the thing they're testing is "how little can we pay people to give us full unfettered access to everything about themselves"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FCKGW posted:

I'm part of a beta testing group and got an offer of $15/mo for a "research project" if I install an app that tracks smartphone usage.

thought it might be Neilson or a research project so I checked it out and lol it's Facebook

nope nope nope

just think, normally people give them this access for free!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'd let them give me $15/mo to track my smartphone usage, google is already slurping every wifi i see and my phone location anyway and I use precisely three apps on my phone - twitter, audiobook player, and google maps

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FCKGW posted:

nope nope nope

dang wish i'd get that kind of offer. i'm swimming in old phones over here. sure i'll install facebook app panopticon edition on some busted old wifi-only phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

it’s an open beta, feel free to join

https://www.betabound.com/unique-mobile-research-opportunity/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bhodi posted:

I'd let them give me $15/mo to track my smartphone usage, google is already slurping every wifi i see and my phone location anyway and I use precisely three apps on my phone - twitter, audiobook player, and google maps

thats your own fault for using an ad-funded phone though

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/959486751780757504

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:getin:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
some day yospos will stop laughing at me for running bare aosp on my android phone

some day

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

she said she's doing daily dispatches from it too, on ~~~the verge~~~

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hell yes her oracle v goog larry vs larry coverage was fantastic

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i know this thread loves their transit chat so here's a video about 1937-era traffic lights i stumbled on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKMtNLGGpUQ

key takeaway for me is that traffic lights were incredibly loving confusing before they were standardized. depending on where you were in the country they could have between two and four lights, you could just slam right from green to red, yellow and green might come on at the same time, or if you're real lucky they could have something altogether different, like this loving bizarre... thing:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/zergmans/status/959501899614638081

social media is good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

political bullying of wrongthinkers is ok

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

i know this thread loves their transit chat so here's a video about 1937-era traffic lights i stumbled on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKMtNLGGpUQ

key takeaway for me is that traffic lights were incredibly loving confusing before they were standardized. depending on where you were in the country they could have between two and four lights, you could just slam right from green to red, yellow and green might come on at the same time, or if you're real lucky they could have something altogether different, like this loving bizarre... thing:

this looks way better. as i'm sitting at the red light i'd get to see how much longer i have to sit there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont even understand how your traffic lights are so hosed up that you give them thought

its simple:
- look at the perpendicular light & you know when its your light in 5 4 3 2

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this looks way better. as i'm sitting at the red light i'd get to see how much longer i have to sit there

sounds like a good way to get early starters slamming into late red runners

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

and this would be different from the current situation how

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

that’s exactly what happens and why they aren’t used here

cities already like to cut down the all-red phase too which is bad enough for it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poo poo anything for us alphas???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lots of European countries have an extra yellow phase after red, before green, to let people get ready. It's incredibly stupid. America does traffic lights the right way.

Random fun fact: I learned this about Euro traffic signals after I had some British students in my Arduino class, which has as one of its first projects "use six LEDs and a button to simulate an intersection with a pedestrian-controlled signal." I thought the kids were just loving it up until I noticed a pattern among all the exchange students and went and looked it up

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that’s exactly what happens and why they aren’t used here

cities already like to cut down the all-red phase too which is bad enough for it

mdot just installed a SPUI on my commute route. for the most part I absolutely love it and I’d like to see more them. that being said, i think someone hosed up the light timing, as people coming out of or crossing the SPUI moving east and then making a northward left hand movement onto the next surface street regularly run afoul of the through west bound green light.

i have an incredibly low opinion of other drivers, but even i refuse to believe that so many people would blow through a red light on a daily basis. that timing has to be off.

hope you enjoyed. that’s my traffic lights light story.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

Lots of European countries have an extra yellow phase after red, before green, to let people get ready. It's incredibly stupid. America does traffic lights the right way.

id like to hear about these european countries

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Krankenstyle posted:

id like to hear about these european countries

uk has them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

actually probably a lot do lol

im just so used to looking at the other light & counting down

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
european countries? i don't think they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i was hoping someone would flame me for implying that the uk is a european country.

oh well.