Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
okay, then yeah, that's a pretty good use case for the mac mini, a rinkydink workgroup server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I just want to use OS X

tim, you fucj

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you’re in like a 4 person company and you don’t know poo poo about janitoring computers and you want to set up some services (wiki, jabber, contacts, ldap, vpn servers) osx server is not the worst thing you could do.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I just want to use OS X

tim, you fucj

buy a mac?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
aren't they depreciating 90% of server?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

graph posted:

windows 10 is really, really bad

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's by far the best windows yet

these are not exclusive at all fyi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

if you’re in like a 4 person company and you don’t know poo poo about janitoring computers and you want to set up some services (wiki, jabber, contacts, ldap, vpn servers) osx server is not the worst thing you could do.

my impression is that this has mostly been supplanted by cloud services for small teams.

like it's not the worst possible choice, but it's a product whose time passed about two years ago for most of its market

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I already have a computer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I already have a computer

but do you know what is computer

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a miserable pile of bits

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

that’s quite the sales pitch they taught you at Apple!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:justpost:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unit sales were disappointing

but

average sales prices considerably exceeded expectations, so total earnings are pretty good

unit sales were up if you adjust for the quarter being a week shorter than last year’s

the only actual negative news is that the mac is still in decline because that group has its head up its rear end

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rjmccall posted:

unit sales were up if you adjust for the quarter being a week shorter than last year’s

the only actual negative news is that the mac is still in decline because that group has its head up its rear end

that's actually good news, mac team should go big or go home, and by that i dont meant 5k imac or eatx trash can

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i want someone to tie sir jony ives to a desk until he makes a mac that's rack-mountable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like everything else, apple just relies on 3rd party accessories to fill in the gaps

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hell just stuff a macbook motherboard and cooling getup into a case w/ no screen or keyboard. call it the new mac mini. most users will love it and it might even be more profitable
you could practically shove the macbook logic board inside a deck of cards https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/DqPT14YcKMsGMBZ1.huge

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

unit sales were up, but not up as much as analysts hoped

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's by far the best windows yet

i thought windows 8.1u1 was real good

infernal machines posted:

does anyone anywhere use it?

that was the last use case for a headless mac outside of a compile environment i could think of

a lot of folks dont realize osx server is a replacement for active directory. it's for small companies and you can get basic organizational services like a directory, email, and vpn spun up pretty quick. pro tip: it doesnt work across subnets lol, you have to have another osx server on that other subnet and tell them to talk to each other

Matt Zerella posted:

aren't they depreciating 90% of server?

not that much but they're getting rid of calendar

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph posted:

a lot of folks dont realize osx server is a replacement for active directory. it's for small companies and you can get basic organizational services like a directory, email, and vpn spun up pretty quick. pro tip: it doesnt work across subnets lol, you have to have another osx server on that other subnet and tell them to talk to each other

i'm aware of that, but the only places i've ever seen anyone bother with osx ldap in the wild had a "computer guy". it offered so little benefit and was generally enough of a hassle to set up that no one else would bother for workgroup stuff.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my impression is that this has mostly been supplanted by cloud services for small teams.

what cloud services offer osx-compatible directory services

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

probably none. what small workgroup gives a gently caress about osx-compatible directory services?

like, it's just not even a thing for small teams.

the last time i saw anyone using osx for directory services it was a boutique law firm that had some schmuck set it up a decade before and no one since had any idea how it worked, so they just kept using the same accounts one each pc as the staff turned over

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they're using dropbox or google drive or onedrive for file sharing, usually the latter two in conjunction with a g-suite or office365 hosted email service. the macs themselves are just local sign-on only

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's possible azure ad will work with osx, but i've never had any reason to find out

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

that was the last use case for a headless mac outside of a compile environment i could think of

i use it to make a vpn server of out a mac

im sure its possible to get some routers to act as servers instead but every time i tried to get the netgear firmware to do it i ended up having a chat with the suicide hotline. on the mac you just click a button

poty fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 3, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

4chan used to be run off of a stack of Mac minis

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
macos binds real easy to ad now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph posted:

macos binds real easy to ad now

and it has actually worked continually for more than one consecutive major release!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so what does Apple host their internal directory servers and stuff on?

the last good Mac Pro?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Azure

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

and it has actually worked continually for more than one consecutive major release!

I Will Never Forget The 10.7.3 Update

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

the last good Mac Pro?

Nobody who knows is allowed to tell you.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

i want someone to tie sir jony ives to a desk until he makes a mac that's rack-mountable

they tried that with xserves. nobody bought them. but more importantly, there’s nobody working on optimizing macOS for server workloads and that’s why [long list of internal systems] are terrible.

hobbesmaster posted:

the last good Mac Pro?

some of it is macs, some Linux. no idea what the hardware is. it was xserves for a loooooong time after they stopped making them.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
apple nomenklatura get to use modern cheesegrater pros

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*cheesgraters pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

isn't Notorious b.s.d. the one who will post a tom collins length effortpost about the deficiencies of osx and the mach kernel at the drop of a hat?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yo this ios messages ordering bug is starting to kiss me off

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

leaving that typo because autocomplete has been fucky too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

isn't Notorious b.s.d. the one who will post a tom collins length effortpost about the deficiencies of osx and the mach kernel at the drop of a hat?

my long-form unix complaints are limited to the linux thread sorry