Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

I would have nutted so hard

Same, but in hindsight, would you want that deal? Who would you rather have now, going into the Super Bowl against the Patriots and into the future, Shady Or Darby?

They got themselves the #1 seed in the NFC without Shady, and without Darby for half the season.

Moving forward, they have Darby for another season on his rookie deal at less than a million, often the perfect opportunity for a team friendly extension. Shady would have cost 10 million this season and is signed for two more seasons at around 9 million a year.

I love Shady, but I'd go with Darby. CB is more important than RB imo, and while Shady is a top RB and Darby is just a solid starter, the Eagles needed CBs badly and without decent CBs you kind of negate the advantage of having an awesome front four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Tbf Clement has done pretty well filling in in the utility RB position.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
why was mccoy traded in the first place?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Because Chip Kelly was a loving idiot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd rather have McCoy 100%

Ignoring cap issues

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

NotWearingPants posted:

Because Chip Kelly was a loving idiot.

This :-/

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Same, but in hindsight, would you want that deal? Who would you rather have now, going into the Super Bowl against the Patriots and into the future, Shady Or Darby?

Shady

vs

Blount/Ajayi + Darby

I take the latter, especially with the cap flexibility

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

This year maybe but not the entire time

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

aBagorn posted:

Shady

vs

Blount/Ajayi + Darby

I take the latter, especially with the cap flexibility

My brain says the latter. My heart says Shady

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

89 posted:

My brain says the latter. My heart says Shady

I mean, when you start to go down this rabbit hole, you say "ok Blount doesn't get picked up and Shady is able to take more of a load right away which means Sproles doesn't get as many snaps and he doesn't get hurt" which completely changes the calculus (Sproles and Shady would have made this offense pretty historical IMO)...

...and you hypothetical yourself to death

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://youtu.be/2vvnCEbZrn0

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

He was too expensive. Just makes no sense to invest that much at the running back position. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a dump truck full of money to deliver to DeMarco Murray.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

89 posted:

Eagles tried to bring Shady home.

I would have nutted so hard

That would've been awesome but I think I'd rather have Ajayi and Darby than Shady, as much as I love him.

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah, I hope Shady, Jmac, and Djax all get to sit in the owners box for the SB.

Do It For Them

(pretend I photoshopped the "Do It For Her" sign from the Simpsons here with pictures of D-Jax, Shady, Maclin and Jordan Mathews in the shape of Andy Reid)

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
It’s technically better for us to have Ajayi and Darby.

Last year, we had the most disgusting secondary in the league.

Fast forward, we’ve turned it into one of the best overall groups in the league.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
https://streamable.com/miv8q

I like to think of this Super Bowl being a continuation of the hype we had in 2013. Former players like Shady and Maclin getting together and being at the Linc for stuff like the Vikings game, Dawkins basically being a secondary coach as officially part of the team, all of the injured guys being still a part of the game planning... the whole legacy is binding together for this game. Past & current. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a suite shown with Andy Reid in it during the game.

Everything the Eagles have been and am today come together on Sunday for One Game.

We must win.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

FuriousxGeorge posted:

He was too expensive. Just makes no sense to invest that much at the running back position. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a dump truck full of money to deliver to DeMarco Murray.

I lol'd

89 posted:

Fast forward, we’ve turned it into one of the best overall groups in the league.

I certainly wouldn't go that far. Maybe in the future if Jones and Douglas work out.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

89 posted:

It’s technically better for us to have Ajayi and Darby.

Last year, we had the most disgusting secondary in the league.

Ehhhhh. I wouldn't go that far with our secondary. But they are definitely much better.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

NotWearingPants posted:

I lol'd

I certainly wouldn't go that far. Maybe in the future if Jones and Douglas work out.

Douglas flashed and I have faith in Jones. It’s just gonna suck letting Patrick Robinson go. Dude has been ballin’

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

89 posted:

Douglas flashed and I have faith in Jones. It’s just gonna suck letting Patrick Robinson go. Dude has been ballin’

Yeah

Like almost every FA was a stud. Amazing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Malcolm Jenkins and Fletcher Cox are going to have to win us this game

e: also you people are nuts. Shady is a game breaker; Ajayi and Darby aren't. and that's not even mentioning the fact that the dropoff from Darby to Robinson isn't that huge anyway. they probably would have picked up Blount for the peanuts he's making even with Shady.

they were clearly looking to make a move at the deadline; odds are with Shady, Sproles, Blount, Clement, they would have gone secondary anyway

e2: look at it this way - if Shady's on the team, he's the odds on favorite Eagle to win Superbowl MVP. Ajayi is behind Foles tied with Ertz and Jeffrey and Darby is like 500/1

indigi fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

89 posted:

https://streamable.com/miv8q

I like to think of this Super Bowl being a continuation of the hype we had in 2013. Former players like Shady and Maclin getting together and being at the Linc for stuff like the Vikings game, Dawkins basically being a secondary coach as officially part of the team, all of the injured guys being still a part of the game planning... the whole legacy is binding together for this game. Past & current. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a suite shown with Andy Reid in it during the game.

Everything the Eagles have been and am today come together on Sunday for One Game.

We must win.

Just don't get too over-invested.

Remember, it's just a game and you have 0 ability to affect its outcome in any way and it should be a source of happiness and joy not sadness and anger.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Is this a good time to mention that I am a verifiable 50/50 Eagles Patriots fan who lived in both cities and no matter what happens I'm going to be retardedly happy?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

e: also you people are nuts. Shady is a game breaker; Ajayi and Darby aren't. and that's not even mentioning the fact that the dropoff from Darby to Robinson isn't that huge anyway. they probably would have picked up Blount for the peanuts he's making even with Shady.

And if Robinson is forced to play corner alongside Jalen Mills, who's the nickelback? Maybe my memory isn't too great, but when Darby was out, didn't they play Douglas at CB in nickel situations with Robinson returning to nickelback? Douglas can't play nickel. He's a big guy that is strictly an outside CB.

I realize Darby isn't a pro bowl corner, but would you really want to line up a rookie 3rd round pick (Douglas) alongside a 2nd year 7th round pick (Mills) as your corners in nickel situations against Tom Brady in the Super Bowl?

89 posted:

Robinson wasn't a sought after FA this past offseason. The Eagles signed him for what I am pretty sure was his minimum. Will he become one now thanks to a decent showing this season and the INT against the Vikings? Maybe? But I wouldn't bet on it.

The Eagles need a nickleback and I'm no DB expert but I've read a couple of sources that don't consider the Eagles' other CBs to be suited for that role. I think they resign him.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Three good players are always better than one awesome player as long as it's not QB.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

axeil posted:

Remember, it's just a game and you have 0 ability to affect its outcome

Excuse me, I think you'll find that when I drank a beer from a Pennsylvania-based brewer in my Eagles pint glass the Eagles were 12-1 this year, whereas they were only 1-2 when I did not.

I ran out of Wyerbacher during the Rams game. :ssh:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/959563037412855808

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/EaglesRewind/status/959447274697961473

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

axeil posted:

Remember, it's just a game and you have 0 ability to affect its outcome in any way and it should be a source of happiness and joy not sadness and anger.

I have to keep reminding myself of this. I've been trying to stay in the same routine as I have been since the divisional round... wash the Eagles hoodie this day, wear the beanie this day, put the beanie on my desk lamp this day.

As if any of that will have an effect on the game.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Three good players are always better than one awesome player as long as it's not QB.

it's not three good players vs one awesome player, it's three good players vs one awesome player, one good player, and a dice roll

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Is this a good time to mention that I am a verifiable 50/50 Eagles Patriots fan who lived in both cities and no matter what happens I'm going to be retardedly happy?

How does it feel to be this awful?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Feels like I had a 1/256 chance to have this great of a weekend

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Patrick Peterson wants either Cousins or Foles to be the Cardinals QB next year. I’d like to think Patrick Peterson knows something.

Eagles are going to be aggressive and the Eagles are gonna drop bombs on the Patriots and they are not gonna stop. They will run up the score like Tom Brady is a zombie that you shoot 20 times to make sure he’s dead.

48-17 Eagles

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Foles throws 7 TDs and Fletcher Cox gets MVP. This is my dream.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I want Agholor to get MVP.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I can't believe Agholor is now a really good slot receiver who is a threat to take it to the house every time

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I can't believe Agholor is now a really good slot receiver who is a threat to take it to the house every time

Around the NFL were discussing how The Pats might move Butler to slot just to cover him as they think hes the biggest offensive threat.

Seems odd that a year or two ago he was just offensive...

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Agholor will be Super Bowl MVP

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

89 posted:

I would absolutely love this

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

89 posted:

I'd love this as it'd be a truly heart-warming comeback story and highlight the importance of mental health care, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

also the entire eagles team seems to have the flu :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/959858825884028928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

axeil posted:

I'd love this as it'd be a truly heart-warming comeback story and highlight the importance of mental health care, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

also the entire eagles team seems to have the flu :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/959858825884028928

It's unbelievable. It's loving unreal that they're sick. If they lose because they caught the loving flue I'm going to lose my mind.

• Locked thread