Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon

el dorito posted:

Apparently there is a thing that exists called a philadelphia cheese steak dip that is made for “game day”

https://youtu.be/VCDXt8MAvYs

yes, there is also a new england clam chowder dip

but, given my brief reluctance for seafood, I’d probably prefer the former

Cream cheese, bell peppers, and jalapenos? That's no cheesesteak :colbert:

Also, it's a little bit crazy even calling it that because a proper cheesesteak has as much to do with the hoagie roll as anything else. It's sort of like making beef soup and calling it French Dip Dip or something.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

He talks in a real annoying sing song way. I want his team to lose the big game.

Every. Video. that's just his actual inflection and it boils my brain every time I hear it lol

e: in my home forum of Star Ciizen land, we have a tradition where the first poster on a new page must post an adorable animal. I don't presume to impose this tax on the fine byobbers of byob, but I will pay it myself because it is what I am used to

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Beet Wagon posted:

Cream cheese, bell peppers, and jalapenos? That's no cheesesteak :colbert:

If having cream cheese, bell peppers, and jalapenos means it's not a Cheesesteak, that's a mark against cheesesteaks.

Robot Made of Meat

Tiberius Thyben posted:

If having cream cheese, bell peppers, and jalapenos means it's not a Cheesesteak, that's a mark against cheesesteaks.

Jalapenos are not needed on a cheesesteak.

Not everything has to be spicy.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Jalapenos are not needed on a cheesesteak.

Not everything has to be spicy.

Wrong! Fake news!

Beet Wagon

maybe the real jalapenos were the friends we made along the way

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'm gonna make a Chicago Boston San Diego pepperoni and feta tacorrito cakewich with jalepenos and oyster crackers, just to see if this forum explodes.

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
a basic cheese steak is cheese(whiz or any another form of real cheese) and steak and everything else is just is just an accoutrement?? :confused:

sry to get political...

French Dip is the king of cheese steaks though.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'll have my worldwide safe order, a reuben and a Heineken. Y'all can have your knife-fight over condiments outside, here's some napkins.

Robot Made of Meat

I'm FAR from PA, but around these parts a "philadelphia cheesesteak" has always been sauteed peppers and onions with a decent cheese (like provolone), and a questionable "steak" served in some sort of bun.

I've had quite a few, and I deem them to be an acceptable thing to order, if there's nothing interesting on the menu.

Robot Made of Meat

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I'll have my worldwide safe order, a reuben and a Heineken. Y'all can have your knife-fight over condiments outside, here's some napkins.

You can also make a nice Reuben Dip, if you have a small crock pot and a party.

Starman Super DX

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I'm FAR from PA, but around these parts a "philadelphia cheesesteak" has always been sauteed peppers and onions with a decent cheese (like provolone), and a questionable "steak" served in some sort of bun.

I've had quite a few, and I deem them to be an acceptable thing to order, if there's nothing interesting on the menu.

this is basically it. I feel like the “sautéed onions” is the real philly part and that essentially a plain rear end cheese steak is cheese and steak.

cream cheese in cheese steak is just bizarre though :frogout:

Tell me more!

Robot Made of Meat

Starman Super DX posted:

this is basically it. I feel like the “sautéed onions” is the real philly part and that essentially a plain rear end cheese steak is cheese and steak.

cream cheese in cheese steak is just bizarre though :frogout:

I like you. I'll kill you last.

BoldFrankensteinMir

The questionable meat comment is important, every Philly Cheese Steak I've ever ha seemed like a way to use up the worst strips of beef you can legally buy. Like trimmings from the dogfood factory bad.

But of course I still ate 'em 'cause I gots NO standards when it comes to lunch at work, son. NONE.

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

The questionable meat comment is important, every Philly Cheese Steak I've ever ha seemed like a way to use up the worst strips of beef you can legally buy. Like trimmings from the dogfood factory bad.

But of course I still ate 'em 'cause I gots NO standards when it comes to lunch at work, son. NONE.

Yeah, it's funny how everyone will argue about all of the non-meat parts, but nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the room.

Come to think of it, elephant meat might be a step up.

sb hermit

I'm gonna make a Chicago Boston San Diego pepperoni and feta tacorrito cakewich with jalepenos and oyster crackers, just to see if this forum explodes.

be sure to post it on youtube and include a cross section clip and a tail bumper to like, subscribe, and share (is that the right order?)

or just post it on Instagram

Starman Super DX

this is why as good as cheese steaks are it’s hard to beat it’s well-to-do older brother French Dip- thinly sliced prime rib and provolone cheese (plus horseradish and onions if that’s your bag) cut in half and dipped in an au jus made from the meat drippings. :swoon:

Tell me more!

sb hermit

This sounds good. I’m gonna steal it.

I thought that there were no bad hamburgers until I went to a Fuddruckers and had the driest burger that man ever dared to create.

If someone is bold enough to put a reuben on the menu then they probably know what they’re doing.

Beet Wagon

Re: meat, the good cheesesteak places will use super thinly sliced ribeye or at worst they'll use skirt steak. The cheapo guys use what amounts to basically steak-umms or worse.

Toppings wise, the most widely sanctioned topping is sauteed onions. I do like a good peppersteak on occasion (and make them for my wife who doesn't like onions), but some/many/most will abstain from peppers, be they jalapeno, Bell, or banana.

sb hermit

knock on wood, I’ve never had an inedible french fry

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Mushrooms?

alnilam

el dorito posted:

knock on wood, I’ve never had an inedible french fry

french fries own they are The Food

eonwe

animal style fries

BoldFrankensteinMir

el dorito posted:

This sounds good. I’m gonna steal it.

I thought that there were no bad hamburgers until I went to a Fuddruckers and had the driest burger that man ever dared to create.

If someone is bold enough to put a reuben on the menu then they probably know what they’re doing.

Heineken is in no way good beer but you can get it fugg'n everywhere. If I ever end up bumming around the galaxy Arthur Dent style I'm just ordering dutch green-bottles everywhere I go and I'd bet good money they'd have 'em. Safer to drink than the water!

The Reuben is harder, but seeing as no other sandwich uses the Cysco pre-fab marbled rye that every restaurant has for some reason, it's generally a decent wager.

Sig by Heather Papps

alnilam

If it were pittsburgh we'd be putting french fried on the sandwixh

In fact there's a place here that makes Philly esque cheese steak with fries on it it's good

Beet Wagon

If you're of a cooking inclination and don't have a batch of J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's fries ready to thaw and refry at all times, well I don't wanna be mean but you should totally consider doing that.

BoldFrankensteinMir

If fries are so holy, what's the opinion of poutine?

Sig by Heather Papps

alnilam

hell yeah

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Poutine is great, but gets hosed every time by too cold or too hot cheese. The popular style in my lovely hippy mountain town is a soy demi glaze for the gravy. According to my mom, a Quebecois, the original sauce was hot chicken sauce, which is a gravy with a mix of beef and chicken stocks.

alnilam

in montreal any ol diner has like 8 different kinds of poutine

you got your regular kind, your tex mex kind, your asian-esque kind, your greek kind, etc

FreshCutFries

i live like two hours from canada and have never had poutine. i keep meaning to make it myself at home, but there's something unseemly about dumping gravy on fries in your own kitchen.

alnilam

at my local diner i ask for their feta fries and ask for a side of gravy dumped on BAM off menu poutine

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I like a fried chicken poutine. I get large popcorn chicken, large fries, medium gravy from KFC, comes to a little over $20. Put the fries in the toaster oven with some shredded cheddar.
thisiswhyimfat.com

City of Glompton

I have never had poutine but I am to fix that this year

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Starman Super DX

I can’t decide if all of this talk is making me want to work harder at my diet or just give up and swim in a vat of gravy and french fries. 🤔

don’t worry it’s the former.

Tell me more!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

:dance:

alnilam

serious situation

BoldFrankensteinMir

Well-done. Digital or analog?

Sig by Heather Papps

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Does anyone else dislike going out so much that they'll go two weeks eating gradually less and less reasonable or convenient or fresh food based on what seems like it might be a tolerable combination of the (dry/canned/frozen/long shelf life) food that is still in the house?

Today I had tofurky sausages and muffins for dinner.

Tomorrow I might have to make savory buckwheat pancakes stuffed with kale and artichoke hearts and I guess some sort of sauce made of just spices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

roomforthetuna posted:

Does anyone else dislike going out so much that they'll go two weeks eating gradually less and less reasonable or convenient or fresh food based on what seems like it might be a tolerable combination of the (dry/canned/frozen/long shelf life) food that is still in the house?

Today I had tofurky sausages and muffins for dinner.

Tomorrow I might have to make savory buckwheat pancakes stuffed with kale and artichoke hearts and I guess some sort of sauce made of just spices.

Oh yeah, definitely. I mean I live in the middle of BF nowhere so that's just how groceries work but even when I lived in the city I was a shut-in who just worked on movies all day instead of going outside and doing poo poo that was important to living well.

If I may offer a personal observation on the subject- with as fast as technology and society move nowadays, take opportunities to go out now. You have no idea when some sea-change will make you pine for the days before X or Y hit the scene and you no longer felt even a little comfortable around folks ever again. Even if it's just going to the grocery store or seeing a movie, enjoy familiar experiences while they last. Because once they're gone they're GONE.

Sig by Heather Papps