Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

bring back old button mash ryze, this new ryze was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Today's Dev Corner was good

https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/Zuwx8vlW-quick-gameplay-thoughts-february-2

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Today I learned to ban Vayne

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

they're going to nerf ornn again? he's already poo poo tier in solo queue lmao and hasnt even played on the new patch in comp has he

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should bring back beta ryze

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ6ypSjVxi4

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Vermain posted:

Ryze's core conceit (rapid-fire mana-based spellcaster that uses combos) isn't impossible to do right, but they've had trouble hammering down a stable identity for him that isn't just "Cassiopeia but blue". Vlad's core conceit (lifestealing spellcaster that uses health instead of mana) is a loving morass of balancing issues, and will remain so perpetually due to the very nature of the conceit.

i feel like riot would be more successful at balancing problematic champions if they ever tried to balance problematic champions but since im not a game dev i can only speculate. maybe champions are powerful enough to balance themselves...

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hahaha -43

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

sick i love how they took a very easily identifiable projectile and made it a weird puffy purple tube that displays randomly

edit: feast is just straight up worse

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
The scream animation is by far the worst but all of it is bad, goddamn

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Verviticus posted:

sick i love how they took a very easily identifiable projectile and made it a weird puffy purple tube that displays randomly

edit: feast is just straight up worse

I want to embroider a sock with "DO NOT UPDATE THINGS FOR THE SAKE OF UPDATING THINGS", fill that sock with quarters, and use it to flog each individual Riot employee on the soles of their feet.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the gently caress

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I actually don't mind that changes too much. The only thing I don't like really is the lack of blood on R and how indistinct the E looks. The old graphics, though distinct, look loving terrible.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'd rather have bad looking graphics that are clearly delineated and distinct than fancy blob poo poo that I can't tell from Irelia's rear end.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the E probably doesn't need to pop out a lot since it isn't really a super impactful ability or whatever, but the R just looks weird now

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just solo'd Baron at 28 minutes as Taric jungle

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Radical posted:

the E probably doesn't need to pop out a lot since it isn't really a super impactful ability or whatever, but the R just looks weird now

its a lot of damage in lane if youre trying to cs and hes being a fucker

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

If you look at an ability called Feast, that's described as a monster trying to eat whatever person is in front of it, and you think "that doesn't need a big explosion of blood" then you're part of the problem.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That new effect on the R makes me want to play Cho less.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I haven't player a serious game of ranked league since like 2014 and have only played aram games sporadically since. I have generally kept up with the game and watch stuff here and there. Is there anything I need to know?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

RBX posted:

I haven't player a serious game of ranked league since like 2014 and have only played aram games sporadically since. I have generally kept up with the game and watch stuff here and there. Is there anything I need to know?

If you've kept up with the major changes like drakes, rift herald and the keystone system, there isn't much to add. Ranked is much the same as its always been, there's just the ever changing meta.

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The balancing team over at Riot should maybe stop nerfing things that see lots of play and allow counter-play to develop like it has in games that don't receive near constant updates to force shifts in meta.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
By games that don't receive near constant updates, I assume you mean DotA, in which case lol yeah let's sit on the same patch for three months at a time that's super fun right guys

Actually as of this week isn't icefraud copying league's patch schedule, in which case, lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I too enjoy games that fall stale in which nothing changes for weeks.

DOTA sucks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Luna Was Here posted:

By games that don't receive near constant updates, I assume you mean DotA, in which case lol yeah let's sit on the same patch for three months at a time that's super fun right guys

Actually as of this week isn't icefraud copying league's patch schedule, in which case, lol

like theoretically you can do this when everything's relatively balanced because there isn't one Correct Answer

there might be an optimal answer, or a more correct answer relatively speaking, but not a one true best choice all the time

league is not that

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Brood War hasnt been patched in almost 20 years

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

to me, the defining characteristic of whether or not a game is good is not how often it is patched, but rather, if i enjoy playing it or not.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
How is Urgot so good. Just had a game where I called top but the last pick didn't have smite so he came with me, in a moment of divine generosity I let him get CS while I supported, and we ended up dunking like crazy on our Annie / Gnar opponents. I wound up being rated an S+ despite getting like 68 CS in a 20m game. A very strange and strong champion, despite him being in the cheaper tier of purchases. I also just got Xin Jiao and I'm looking forward to trying him.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

He's really old but got a complete rework very recently, which is why he's cheap but also modern and good.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

like theoretically you can do this when everything's relatively balanced because there isn't one Correct Answer

there might be an optimal answer, or a more correct answer relatively speaking, but not a one true best choice all the time

league is not that

The unicorn game you speak of will never ever be created, ever. League has way too many moving pieces to ever be this mythical yin yang of balance. The games that have achieved such balance rely not on the numbers their units possess but rather the execution the players have both in enacting their strategy and adapting it to their opponents.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

league of legends as a game not only does that but also rewards individual performance far too much to achieve that mythical state of strategic balance. if the game allows individual players to go wild and hard carry games, it is very hard to balance the game perfectly also for 5v5 while also balancing lane matchups in a vacuum. especially when considering the moving piece of jungling.

E: if strategy A beats strategy B, and strategy B is dominant, but strategy C beats strategy A, none of that matters in a world where some guy playing a deviation of strategy B can get 10 kills early game and solo win the game for people, and that amount of variance that exists all the way up until pro play(and arguably in pro play as well) prevents the meta from ever reaching a stable balance point

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2018

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
don't tell that to hashinshin

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

don't tell that to acknowledge ashinshin

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Luna Was Here posted:

The unicorn game you speak of will never ever be created, ever. League has way too many moving pieces to ever be this mythical yin yang of balance. The games that have achieved such balance rely not on the numbers their units possess but rather the execution the players have both in enacting their strategy and adapting it to their opponents.

I agree, that's why I said league wasn't that game

Coming from trad games, it's the level of balance that Magic strives for, but magic has the advantage of rotating cards our of legality and limiting how much they need to balance around at any one time. League just straight up cannot do that.

That's just considering number of things happening, that's not the complexity of those individual things or the new thing that results from a given combination of them

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
When people say they want everything to be balanced so there isn't one correct answer, they (generally) realize that actual, 100% mathematically perfect balance is impossible, so pointing this out isn't as much of a slam dunk as you might think. Generally they just want there to be a good-faith effort to make the meta feel as though it was balanced and open like this.

To go off of Dickeye's M:TG analogy, in M:TG if a deck is 75% via the field for an extended period of time, it's generally accepted that the designers hosed up and somebody should feel bad, but if a deck is, like, 55% to win against the field, it's like okay, that's reasonable because that puts it within the sphere where individual player skill (and, since this is MTG, draw variance as well) can have a major impact on the outcomes of matches. It doesn't have to be exactly 50.00000...% for it to be "balanced" in the context of the individual player's experience.

Obviously these numbers do not translate directly to League because in League a 55% yoloqueue winrate is already tripping the "this might be too good" alarms, but you get the idea.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Champion winrate also matters more if the champion with a 55% winrate in question is being picked by 20%+ of players and hitting that 55% winrate mark, or the champion hits a high banrate (something like 40-50%+ banrate in champion select).

Nobody cares if .1% of players pick Mordekaiser and have a 56% winrate because it is highly unlikely for you to run into it. It's one or two players that only play Mordekaiser that are bumping up his winrate.

The 55% winrate Vayne mains that plague every other game if they aren't banned are a real balance issue because it negatively impacts the game when only one champion is so dominant.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

JerryLee posted:

When people say they want everything to be balanced so there isn't one correct answer, they (generally) realize that actual, 100% mathematically perfect balance is impossible, so pointing this out isn't as much of a slam dunk as you might think. Generally they just want there to be a good-faith effort to make the meta feel as though it was balanced and open like this.

also strictly speaking games are made worse by having 100% mathematical perfect balance, but that is a discussion for another time. in terms of game balance the benchmark to strive for is "good enough", because facilitating play is all that game balance really needs to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pog boyfriend posted:

also strictly speaking games are made worse by having 100% mathematical perfect balance, but that is a discussion for another time. in terms of game balance the benchmark to strive for is "good enough", because facilitating play is all that game balance really needs to do.

Ehhhhh depends on how you define better but really it's the luck/skill dichotomy and now we're getting off the point which is that it's good that riot tries to keep the game balanced and the meta changing because having one completely dominant strategy sucks a butt