Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think we can just all meet in the middle and admit that people can't drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bet the Bookala can drive in the snow

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aisha has a type, doesn't she. Always awkward when the ex meets your new girlfriend.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers (and speaking of things Al Borland Corp is acknowledging), it's a two-fer of weak b-plots before we strap in for heaping helpings of deep plot as we round out season 2 once and for all!

First, just a dash of teen drama.

Then, a child is afraid of swimming I guess?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 1, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

LizWiz, are you going to do the movie?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I’d request Mystic Knights of TL;DW, but I’m the only lunatic who actually sat through all those eighth generation VHS rips on Youtube and I wouldn’t wish that torture on anyone else.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Inkspot posted:

I’d request Mystic Knights of TL;DW, but I’m the only lunatic who actually sat through all those eighth generation VHS rips on Youtube and I wouldn’t wish that torture on anyone else.
God, that name is almost good enough to make me want to hunt down better source footage.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A japanese pull saw is an awesome basis for a monster

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sockser posted:

A japanese pull saw is an awesome basis for a monster

I had to look up what that is and now I know why the saw in Ocarina of Time looks so goofy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It’s kind of silly that Zedd creates him out of a regular standard carpentry saw when pull saws are a pretty normal fixture in a wood shop but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ saban

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They were originally developing a Bulk and Skull spin off show at some point where they ran their uncle's hotel or something. I think if you combined this with big bad Beetleborgs it could have worked. The hotel is haunted, their Uncle is a ghost, Bulk and Skull become B-fighters. You have a third character in there, probably a girl, to round out the trio. They have to run the hotel and keep the monsters satisfied and away from people, and at the same time need to become the B-fighters to fight other more dangerous monsters.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: Zedd reduces the Rangers to children, resulting in a fight where Putties do nothing but gesticulate at grade schoolers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
God, Putties are amazing. This is their star episode, but they've been getting more and more expressive in their intros since we've moved the show to the Infinity Park Zone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Remember when the Z-Putties were said to be much more dangerous than Rita's and an actual threat?

Yeah, me neither.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
PR comic’s timeline jumping crossover event will introduce a new ranger, this time a hero. There’s just a cover of a figure in an explosion.

Im guessing it’s Rita.

Reasons:
It looks feminine.
It has a cape.
Mystic Force wears capes.
Rita was the Zordon of Mystic Force, due Toei slipping in a clever Soga cameo and Tzachor rolling with it.
Rita-gone-good VS Tommy-gone-bad is actually kind of interesting.
At the end of the day this is all going to come back around to MMPR’s first season, and what’s the weirdest twist than the original Rangers and Rita teaming up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That would be sweet.

They should go whole hog, Rita is betrayed by Tommy, who uses her dark magic to empower herself and murders her son (A la Bandora's hateon). The rangers take her in, and Zordon sacrifices himself to save Rita at some point.

Then she takes over as Mentor Ranger.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Uhm.... :stare:

I was just thinking that if Rita was to create a ranger suit for herself, it would probably be Magiranger-inspired because of that final episode, and the figure in the fire fits the bill. Whether it's current day Rita, older Mystic Force Rita, or even the Rita from Drakkon's world who seems to be mysteriously missing (less likely but never doubt villain betrayals.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Did they not use the Magi Mother suit in Mystic Force?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Remember when the Z-Putties were said to be much more dangerous than Rita's and an actual threat?

Yeah, me neither.

I like to think the biggest advantage to Z-Putties isn't their strength, but more that Zedd can sneeze and make twenty of the little idiots.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I like to think the biggest advantage to Z-Putties isn't their strength, but more that Zedd can sneeze and make twenty of the little idiots.

Kinda like how Zedd keeps resurrecting the same group of ~10 or so monsters for his schemes not because they're particularly effective but because he's already familiar with how they behave so can integrate them into said plots easily(seriously that has to be one of the most dangerous things about Zedd, he's capable of resurrecting monsters with minimal effort, when that's the sort of thing that is considered almost impossible for pretty much every other villain in the franchise)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, in the last episode that character tells the rest of the crew that Rita was the source of the powers, and Not-Barbara-Goodson yells over Soga's cameo about her headache and that "I know more than anyone that good will always win."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda like how Zedd keeps resurrecting the same group of ~10 or so monsters for his schemes not because they're particularly effective but because he's already familiar with how they behave so can integrate them into said plots easily(seriously that has to be one of the most dangerous things about Zedd, he's capable of resurrecting monsters with minimal effort, when that's the sort of thing that is considered almost impossible for pretty much every other villain in the franchise)

Zedd just keeps summoning poo poo so his spells per day don't go to waste.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, Zedd is pretty much the only villain I can think of in the entire franchise (both Power Rangers and Sentai for that matter) capable of just creating monsters at will. Everyone else either needs to use some kind of machine or get them from another source.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 3, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well he had two episodes in a row where he just brought back a ton of monsters, and the next episode he has to enter hibernation to recharge, so doing that all the time does seem to drain him.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The best parts of these Minimalist episodes for me are usually these conversations between Lord Zedd and Goldar.

That, and you can tell that they just stopped giving a gently caress about trying hard for the American footage before S3. "Eh, we got this large mirror from Goodwill, just have Goldar stand in the middle of the park and do stuff for 30 minutes and we'll call it a day."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Zedd is pretty much the only villain I can think of in the entire franchise (both Power Rangers and Sentai for that matter) capable of just creating monsters at will. Everyone else either needs to use some kind of machine or get them from another source.

My head canon for that is it's a residual effect of his past contact with the Zeo Crystal(well besides him getting turned inside out), which is why he wanted it so badly, if just a slight amount of exposure was enough to let him do that kind of thing, just imagine what he could have done if he had full access to it's power

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

My head canon for that is it's a residual effect of his past contact with the Zeo Crystal(well besides him getting turned inside out), which is why he wanted it so badly, if just a slight amount of exposure was enough to let him do that kind of thing, just imagine what he could have done if he had full access to it's power

I think the power mostly came from his staff though as there was one episode in Season 3 where Rito accidentally uses it to turn Rocky's science teacher into a monster.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He's also flat out the only villain who fucks space and time over like it aint even a thing.

Just sheer ability wise, Lord Zedd is still the most powerful and dangerous big bad in Sentai and Power Ranger history. Dude is a reality warping master of time and it's great.

I will also love the episodes where his plan for the day is ENTIRELY unrelated to the random monster he'll make.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Moira in SPD needs to draw her monsters first, but she can effectively do this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

He's also flat out the only villain who fucks space and time over like it aint even a thing.

Just sheer ability wise, Lord Zedd is still the most powerful and dangerous big bad in Sentai and Power Ranger history. Dude is a reality warping master of time and it's great.

I will also love the episodes where his plan for the day is ENTIRELY unrelated to the random monster he'll make.

Hell, there's more than a few times in MMPR where he just straight up wins (for a time anyway). For example, he: cripples the Dinozords, wipes out the Green Ranger powers, destroys the Thunderzords and severely damages the original power coins, destroys the Ninja coins entirely and finally blows up the Command Center (he's also technically the one who actually defeats the Machine Empire at the end of Zeo).

The only other villain I can think of that comes close to being that effective is probably Enter from Go-Busters.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 3, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Didn't Rito actually do some of that

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How does Zedd's snake-that-is-also-a-staff factor into his power level?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Didn't Rito actually do some of that

Yes, but Zedd and Rita are the ones in charge so it still technically counts as a win for them (both of Rito's victories were part of a plan they came up with after all). Point still stands though.

But if you want to split hairs then technically the first two points were accomplished by the MotW of those particular episodes and the only things Zedd accomplished personally were destroying the Ninja coins and blowing up the Machine Empire.

Lizard Wizard posted:

How does Zedd's snake-that-is-also-a-staff factor into his power level?

It accounts for most of it I would say as aside from creating grenades that make monsters grow I don't think we ever really see him do anything without it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 3, 2018

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

drrockso20 posted:

They did, Soga played a different character though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

This also reminds me that I have all of Magiranger downloaded and need to get back to watching it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rita can also just create monsters at will. She turned Kat into the cat monster, turned the brick wall into the brick wall monster, and zapped something, I think a purse, to make basically the most effective monster in Zeo.

She just has Finster do it usually. I think she also zapped the Billy statue to make evil Billy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe zapping is less controlled than having the old Jewish man from Prague make golems for you? Like, Finster makes them to order, but Rita zaps a wall and is lucky it's at all useful what comes of it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rita zapped objects tend to be really weird and have strange properties, while Zedd ones are fairly straightforward.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's a shame Zedd debuted back when there was no budget and the costume was held together with show strings so he only had one very short anticlimactic fight. Imagine what the stunt team could have put together during Time Force/ Wild Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JT Smiley posted:

It's a shame Zedd debuted back when there was no budget and the costume was held together with show strings so he only had one very short anticlimactic fight. Imagine what the stunt team could have put together during Time Force/ Wild Force.

Is this the part where I make some snarky joke about how the show never had a budget no matter what era?