Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I have a dumb nostalgic desire to poke around in windows mobile 6.5 except inside a device using a modern processor that ain't some 400mhz xscale thing

pocketpc epitomized microsoft on mobile hardware and it was a redmond delight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bulgakov posted:

windows mobile 6.5

:barf:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

slide out keyboards, telescoping styluses, and a registry editor as a mandatory installed program

full blown microsoft

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

^ this but uh, just virtualize it? alternatively Microsoft has something called “windows virtual device emulator” https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=5352 but i can’t vouch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it was janky garbage and dollars to donuts some prerequisite library can't be found/installed any more

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

it was janky garbage and dollars to donuts some prerequisite library can't be found/installed any more

gdi++ lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

OldAlias posted:

just virtualize it

:hai:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

no

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ok whateves

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ok, what good options are there then, are you going to buy a poo poo device to play around with?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

OldAlias posted:

ok, what good options are there then, are you going to buy a poo poo device to play around with?

I wanna imagine that there exist some monstrosities on alibaba that are still somehow running windows mobile or pocket pc due to xda forum nerds adding support for more cores

weirdo industrial stuff still runs CE ityool 2018 though because industry

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OldAlias posted:

dont buy no poo poo it wont be no poo poo.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://www.theverge.com/2013/11/7/5076356/microsoft-anime-character-photo-essay

cool again etc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

what the gently caress

are those pictures all official?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bulgakov posted:

I have a dumb nostalgic desire to poke around in windows mobile 6.5 except inside a device using a modern processor that ain't some 400mhz xscale thing

pocketpc epitomized microsoft on mobile hardware and it was a redmond delight

I have the last Windows Mobile 6.5 phone ever made; some LG with a slide out keyboard you can have for free if you like

I actually really liked Windows Mobile 5/6 :shobon:

There were so many loving "apps" for it; it was almost as good as a full-blown PC.

In my defense Blackberry was still popular when I had this thing

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBq-FFM5VhM

This is the kind of marketing magic that sells ~100 xboxes a week in japan I guess

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Now that windows phone is dead, what is shaggar going to upgrade to?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
android

it's a linux, but microsoft officially supports the linux now. they even sell the sarnsung phones at microsoft stores, and they come pre-packaged with office apps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/151582/exclusive-windows-10-s-dead-long-live-s-mode b-but SKUs ... :(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
wow i can't believe this exclusive blog post isn't paywalled

e: oh my god there's "premium comments" lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

wow i can't believe this exclusive blog post isn't paywalled

e: oh my god there's "premium comments" lmao

not being able to see comments is a benefits idk why he expects anyone would pay to see them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

not being able to see comments is a benefits idk why he expects anyone would pay to see them

but you miss out on chance to talk to sir thurott

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

no there's like, regular comments and then a "premium comments" tab next to it, but it defaults to the regular kind. which is good because who in the gently caress wants to read a post by someone who was dumb enough to give paul thurrott money

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anthonypants posted:

no there's like, regular comments and then a "premium comments" tab next to it, but it defaults to the regular kind. which is good because who in the gently caress wants to read a post by someone who was dumb enough to give paul thurrott money

I’m actually kinda curious

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

anthonypants posted:

who in the gently caress wants to read a post by someone who was dumb enough to give paul thurrott money
this but richard kyanka

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
freedom aint free

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

the best name was "Windows Cloud", but then someone in marketing went "This must be called Windows 10 something, and I don't give a poo poo what that something is!"

hence, Windows 10 S.

and whoever thought that creating a SKU that would force everyone to use (and only use) the Microsoft Store in a desperate bid to get developers to throw something, anything, into the store, while also telling everyone that there are performance and security upgrades that no one can actually see, and putting that os on your newest, $1200+ laptops, :thumbsup:

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
At least S mode is now an install option on regular SKUs, which is what it should have always been.

What's the situation with private versions of the Store for things like the S version in large companies?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Drastic Actions posted:

the best name was "Windows Cloud", but then someone in marketing went "This must be called Windows 10 something, and I don't give a poo poo what that something is!"

hence, Windows 10 S.

and whoever thought that creating a SKU that would force everyone to use (and only use) the Microsoft Store in a desperate bid to get developers to throw something, anything, into the store, while also telling everyone that there are performance and security upgrades that no one can actually see, and putting that os on your newest, $1200+ laptops, :thumbsup:

it's called windows tennis cause you can't use anything that doesn't come over the net

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Samsung batteries? :ohdear:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

it's called windows tennis cause you can't use anything that doesn't come over the net

:vince:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
apparently when you're in an office 365 group and you want to look at that group's calendars in outlook, you have to go to the main "mail" part of outlook, scroll down in your list of email folders until you see the "groups" section, click on the group you'd like to see the calendars for, and then click on the Calendar button in the ribbon. i kinda thought it would populate in the calendars part of outlook, like how it creates a "Team: [manager name]" automatically when you tell active directory/exchange online that your manager is [manager name]. idk why they did that but they wrote a kb article on how to find your team's shared calendar instead of unhiding it https://support.office.com/en-us/article/schedule-a-meeting-on-a-group-calendar-in-outlook-0cf1ad68-1034-4306-b367-d75e9818376a

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
cortana nightmare fuel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I found the dumbest windows 10 feature by accident.

ctrl + win + c

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

no fuckin way

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shy posted:

no fuckin way

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Oh that is a quick and easy key combination to punish people who leave their computers unlocked at work

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

I found the dumbest windows 10 feature by accident.

ctrl + win + c

it's a switch for colour filter you configure in acessibility settings

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's a switch for colour filter you configure in acessibility settings

a notification letting you know that's what is happening would be nice. kind of like what they do with sticky keys. instead the screen goes black and white without warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Windows usability cannot be increased, but it can be transferred such that Windows is easier to use for some and harder to use for others.