Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

There's not a lot of removal that deals with it either. Edicts obviously but other than that it's like, Terminate and Recoil kinda sometimes. Of course it's still just a 4 mana 2/3 that's hard to interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

There's not a lot of removal that deals with it either. Edicts obviously but other than that it's like, Terminate and Recoil kinda sometimes. Of course it's still just a 4 mana 2/3 that's hard to interact with.

True, but there's at least something to be said for a 2/3 that can block almost anything without issue and can attack through almost anything without issue too. I dunno if it's the right choice for Boros, but it may have a very welcome home in decks with pump spells.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Matsuri posted:

True, but there's at least something to be said for a 2/3 that can block almost anything without issue and can attack through almost anything without issue too. I dunno if it's the right choice for Boros, but it may have a very welcome home in decks with pump spells.

Those pump spells would have to be multicolored as well.

It can block almost anything. That doesn't fly (Boros/Jeskai/Delver). And isn't unblockable or have shadow (Izzet Blitz). Or multicolored (Boggles).

It's an okay blocker against Elves until they overwhelm with the swarm and/or pump an unblocked dude for lethal. If Boggles geared up Gladecover then it is likely GG.

But in the end, it just doesn't do enough. And it was one of my first pet cards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
You only want to play Guardian of the Guildpact as a poor sideboard option, or if it advances your main gameplan. It'd be fine in Pestilence decks as a good roadblock that ignores your Pestilence damage, but if your white weenie deck slams its fourth land down and throws a 2/3 onto the battlefield you're probably going to lose.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Good points. Seems like sideboard material at best. I'll probably pass, especially in Boros.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Oof. Nothing like going 1-2 at your LGS to remind you how out of practice you are.

I played Boros Monarch, which I'm strongly considering switching to Kuldotha Boros... maybe. Monarch just didn't do much against what I faced.
1-0-1 vs. some kind of slow Golgari Toolbox deck-- we only managed to get 2 games in before time was up. The first game was hilarious though. I had 3 life and he had 7, and he tried to kill me off with Crypt Rats for 3. I responded with Galvanic Blast for 4, bringing him down to 3 as well, so we died at the same time. Fun times. :unsmith:
1-2-0 vs. Mono-Blue Delver. I always got close to running him out of counterspells, but Stormbound Geists just ruined my day and I never managed to pull anything I needed to get rid of them.
1-2-0 vs. Golgari Aristocrats. Very clever deck; I kind of want to build it.

Either way: Boros Monarch is probably way too drat slow for what I had to face.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm guessing Golgari Toolbox was Tortured Existence?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

PJOmega posted:

I'm guessing Golgari Toolbox was Tortured Existence?

The most infuriating deck. Somehow they always have a copy of the card that makes their deck halfway playable in their 7. The only exception is if you have a Duress, then they have 2 or 0 and it's their top card.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I see a handful of decks run it on decklists. Not sure how I feel about it personally. Looking at the meta, I don't see TOO many multicolored/colorless creatures and spells. Maybe it's good?

EDIT: Looking at the decklists in the majority of the meta, I only see 3 multicolored creatures that it can't be protected from: Burning Tree Emissary, Slippery Bogle, and Nivix Cyclops. And for colorless... mostly Frogmite and Myr Enforcer, I think. Ulamog's Crusher, too.

It's definitely great at it's job of not dying or being blocked by anything, the real weakness is that it's just a 4 mana 2/3 against a lot of decks that don't care about interating with thing that slow

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That's what I had expected, but Tortured Existence never showed up. He did use a healthy amount of recursion with Pulse of Murasa though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I found the decklist the guy who was playing that Golgari Aristocrats deck used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eOh8j1Z6AU
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/468851#online

It's... actually pretty sweet. And cheap too, I wanna build it. Though the guy I faced tweaked it a little, he had Gurmag Angler in it, which he used to attack for 5 with, then use Rites of Consumption on as a finisher. Pretty cool.

EDIT: This Azorius multicolored-matters deck seems pretty sweet. How bad of an idea is it to build it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd1sGz-K0KM

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 30, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Building a set of loaner decks for local pauper nights. Does Stompy really not run any Bonesplitters or Garruk's Companions?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Building a set of loaner decks for local pauper nights. Does Stompy really not run any Bonesplitters or Garruk's Companions?

Sometimes they'll run one Bonesplitter as a bad Rancor #5. Garruk's Companion is very outdated, especially since all the Stompy decks moved to Burning-Tree Emissary-fueled swarm decks.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I've been looking at MTGGoldfish lists and seeing what appeals to me and won't break the bank, and I think I'm leaning toward something around this UB Angler/control deck:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-ub-40728#paper

or this Izzet spells decks:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-izzet-blitz#paper

The former is cheaper and for whatever reason the graveyard element appeals to me, but I'm not sure how tricky it would be to play. The latter seems cool too, and while it's more expensive, it includes staples I see across a lot of decks.

Edit:
Bad clipboard management.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 31, 2018

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I've been looking at MTGGoldfish lists and seeing what appeals to me and won't break the bank, and I think I'm leaning toward something around this UB Angler/control deck:

or this Izzet spells decks:

The former is cheaper and for whatever reason the graveyard element appeals to me, but I'm not sure how tricky it would be to play. The latter seems cool too, and while it's more expensive, it includes staples I see across a lot of decks.
What decks have you played in other formats? Also, you used the UB link twice. I am also deciding between these two and I think Ill go with an Izzet variant.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
that angler lists seems bad. i know there's not much that kills an angler but that's very few win conditions and very few ways to protect them

possibly the only list i've seen where augur works though

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Vital Signs posted:

What decks have you played in other formats? Also, you used the UB link twice. I am also deciding between these two and I think Ill go with an Izzet variant.

I haven't really played enough constructed to give a particularly meaningful answer. I've been playing RG pummeler this standard, which I guess is kind of an aggro-combo.

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I haven't really played enough constructed to give a particularly meaningful answer. I've been playing RG pummeler this standard, which I guess is kind of an aggro-combo.

If you enjoy Pummeler, Stompy might be your bag. It's strictly more aggro than combo, but it has fun tricks and is widely considered the best "pure" aggro deck in the format. Here's a list that 5-0'd a league online earlier today.

It's also worth noting that the money cards (Quirion Ranger, Nettle Sentinel) also find their home in Elves, so buying them would give you a head start on that deck too.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
how does the karoo version of the flicker deck beat the tron version? their mana seems soo much better for the long grindy games

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

how does the karoo version of the flicker deck beat the tron version? their mana seems soo much better for the long grindy games

Nothing beats Tron in a long game.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

counter their business spells, and hope they draw the wrong half of their deck long enough for you to assemble the combo. bojuka bog + karoo lands helps as well since the murasa + flicker + teachings version is super fragile and relies on their graveyard a lot

if you are trying to out-grind tron you're not going to have a good time. you are the aggressor even if you're casting 3 mana 1/3s

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Gonna play at the Rags to Riches event on Saturday with a pretty stock slivers list because I love to play bad decks, is there any spice for slivers that I should be running instead?

Deck: Slivers

//Lands
4 Blossoming Sands
2 Evolving Wilds
6 Forest
8 Plains

//Spells
3 Epic Confrontation
3 Lead the Stampede
3 Mutagenic Growth
2 Vines of Vastwood

//Creatures
4 Muscle Sliver
4 Plated Sliver
4 Predatory Sliver
2 Sentinel Sliver
4 Sidewinder Sliver
4 Sinew Sliver
1 Spinneret Sliver
2 Talon Sliver
4 Virulent Sliver

//Sideboard
3 Natural State
2 Ray of Revelation
2 Pulse of Murasa
2 Hallow
2 Armadillo Cloak
2 Quick Sliver
2 Spinneret Sliver

Display deck statistics

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
There’s a Rags to Riches this weekend? poo poo, I keep missing those.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm starting a modern league at my current FLGS. I'm running acid trip gently caress the haters

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Gonna play at the Rags to Riches event on Saturday with a pretty stock slivers list because I love to play bad decks, is there any spice for slivers that I should be running instead?

Deck: Slivers

//Lands
4 Blossoming Sands
2 Evolving Wilds
6 Forest
8 Plains

//Spells
3 Epic Confrontation
3 Lead the Stampede
3 Mutagenic Growth
2 Vines of Vastwood

//Creatures
4 Muscle Sliver
4 Plated Sliver
4 Predatory Sliver
2 Sentinel Sliver
4 Sidewinder Sliver
4 Sinew Sliver
1 Spinneret Sliver
2 Talon Sliver
4 Virulent Sliver

//Sideboard
3 Natural State
2 Ray of Revelation
2 Pulse of Murasa
2 Hallow
2 Armadillo Cloak
2 Quick Sliver
2 Spinneret Sliver

Display deck statistics

Part of me always wants to say "run Mana Tithe" because Force Spike in white is something no one ever sees coming, but I myself don't even do that, and with Tron in the meta it kind of feels like a wasted SB slot.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Matsuri posted:

Part of me always wants to say "run Mana Tithe" because Force Spike in white is something no one ever sees coming, but I myself don't even do that, and with Tron in the meta it kind of feels like a wasted SB slot.

Yeah, the last time I played, the room was pretty heavy on Tron.

Some Numbers posted:

There’s a Rags to Riches this weekend? poo poo, I keep missing those.

Plenty of spots left, cancel your plans and be a dork! Or just plan for the next one on Mar 24.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 1, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I actually don't have any plans this weekend, so that's highly tempting.

I need a deck that I can play without any practice that can do decently well.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Some Numbers posted:

I actually don't have any plans this weekend, so that's highly tempting.

I need a deck that I can play without any practice that can do decently well.

I still have Pauper Burn sleeved up from the last event, you can borrow that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cactrot posted:

I still have Pauper Burn sleeved up from the last event, you can borrow that.

SOLD

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
hell yeah i'm gonna scrub out with flicker. hellsau which list do you recommend running?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

hell yeah i'm gonna scrub out with flicker. hellsau which list do you recommend running?

Something with 4x Stonehorn Dignitary. Getting free wins against everything with Forests and most things with Plains is too good.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Something with 4x Stonehorn Dignitary. Getting free wins against everything with Forests and most things with Plains is too good.

Yep. The only out Elves has to a active flicker Dignitary is a side boarded Mob Justice if they're still running Birchlore Rangers. And that requires 20+ elves on the field. Save your removal for their Huntmasters and they aren't getting there.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

PJOmega posted:

Yep. The only out Elves has to a active flicker Dignitary is a side boarded Mob Justice if they're still running Birchlore Rangers. And that requires 20+ elves on the field. Save your removal for their Huntmasters and they aren't getting there.

My favorite moment of top 4-ing one of the rags to riches with elves was killing my opponent with mob justice in the last round of Swiss

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

PM'ed you with meetup info.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cactrot posted:

PM'ed you with meetup info.

Perfect, see you tomorrow!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I’ll be the tallest guy in the room.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Either of y’all have 4 sunscape familiar I could borrow for the tournament? They’ve only got 1 for sale

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Either of y’all have 4 sunscape familiar I could borrow for the tournament? They’ve only got 1 for sale

Actually yes. I have most of a Flicker deck that I don't have nearly enough reps with. I'll make sure to bring it with me.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Some Numbers posted:

Actually yes. I have most of a Flicker deck that I don't have nearly enough reps with. I'll make sure to bring it with me.

Awesome. I’ll legit be the tallest person in the room so I’ll stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Awesome. I’ll legit be the tallest person in the room so I’ll stand out.

Do you need anything else?