Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do i have to pay for and support zhang fei's child bride if i want to play as dong bai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The gently caress is that opening movie that is linked in there?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Oh yeah, Dong Bai! My favourite game of ROTK13 was when I played Dong Bai. Turned on Dong Zhuo and betrayed him to his death, then abandoned my cities and became a legendary bandit queen who'd go around loving up whoever I thought had gotten too big for their britches. Northern China must have been a wasteland for generations after I was gone. It'll be cool to play her again.

Edit: also, after looking at the link I'm gratified to discover Yuan Shu looks almost exactly like the custom officer I made for him in DW8E. Just a little less fat, hell yeah.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 31, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

why do i have to pay for and support zhang fei's child bride if i want to play as dong bai

Didn't they catch poo poo for having Xiahouji as a character in one of the mobile spin offs?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 31, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Article detailing the NPCs

Commenter on that Gematsu article posted:

No there is a difference. In historical records Cao Pi had an actual courtship with Zhen Ji. In every historical records that isn't romance of the three kingdoms which is really stylized propaganda the records say that Zhang Fei raped Xiahouji and portray it as a tragedy.

Jesus Christ... :gonk:

I guess apart from that, we've got Dong Zhou's granddaughter, one of Dong Zhou's retainers, and Yuan Shao's cousin (Yuan Shu sound familiar to me, but I can't figure out if I'm mixing up his name with someone else's, or if he was critical in one of the missions in DW8). That...disappointing.

I would think if you were going to expand the character roster, you'd want to feature someone who had a prominent role, like Gongsun Zan, Wen Qin, or someone who was a focal point on some of major events.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Yuan shu was yuan Shao’s even stupider cousin who declared himself empower first and got his rear end kicked repeatedly

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
KT US Facebook says it is $59.99 for the standard edition and $84.99 for digital deluxe. Dunno what is up with GMG's pricing on it in regards to the PC version.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yuan shu has been a pretty huge gap among the others faction for ages

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

We need gonsung San, ma teng, Liu bao, and liu zhang

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Policenaut posted:

Well, it finally happened. The Nintendo Warriors DLC system crossed over into Dynasty Warriors. I hold all of you who bought Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors season passes in contempt. :colbert:

So from the sounds of things they're going to use DLC to re-introduce new weapon styles back into the game, that's pretty much what I expected. On the surface I actually don't mind that this happened, so long as an Xtreme Legends doesn't happen (or if it does it's a glorified GOTY Edition that includes the Season Pass). If they're asking $20-30 US on top of an XL expansion then that's kind of messed up.

I got really confused thinking Link and Zelda were gonna be in DW9 until I read this post like 3 times.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Yet another terrible shu officer

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is this the first time Hua Xiong has been playable or at least unique?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

The Chad Jihad posted:

Is this the first time Hua Xiong has been playable or at least unique?

7:E made him the default user of the short pike that they later gave to Han Dang. IIRC they gave a few generics pre-loaded created characters. I'm pretty sure Gongsun Zan and Ma Teng were sporting semi-unique appearances.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
He had a special CAW in DW7 Empires but that's about it. It's hilarious that this comes aftwr he had a big role in 8XL, though I'm still laughing at the fact the final boss for Lu Bu was just two generics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Koei always seems to add generics like one or two games after they're relevant. Chen Gong was a big part of DW6's Lu Bu story and he didnt get added until they decided to repeat that but worse in DW8.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Have they said anything about how the campaign will work for different characters?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq16vIP6odY

Zhang He's costume and moves look very lame.
I'd be fine with him losing his signature weapon along with everyone else but that chainmail doesn't fit him at all and none of his moves make him sprout butterfly wings or anything.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Hua Xiong is an NPC in this game, I believe, even though he qualifies as a little more unique this time around.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
are the season pass details new?

quote:

The game’s future DLC packages will also come with new missions, items used for customization, and gear for battle. Check out the official description of the game’s upcoming add-on’s below:

– Additional Scenario Pack: NPCs Xiahouji, Dong Bai, Hua Xiong, and Yuan Shu made playable. Additional scenarios, events, and actions for each officer

– Additional Weapons Pack: Addition of three new weapon (action) systems. Addition of three high level weapon models for each weapon

– Hideaway Customization Pack: Addition of exclusive scenarios where you can obtain exteriors and furniture. Addition of 10 furniture models. Addition of five models that change exteriors and interiors

– Season Pass Bonus: Four Jewels. 12 materials that can be used for advanced weapon/cooking/item development

PS4/XBox are available for preordering, I'm still waiting on a Steam listing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_iZ2ScLQE

Full magical girl Zhao Yun transformation cutscene which is apparently the opening of the game.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Jack Trades posted:

Full magical girl Zhao Yun transformation cutscene which is apparently the opening of the game.

Pretty good, really. I'm disappointed they didn't incorporate a jump kick into a horse's face, though.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Incredible

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Jack Trades posted:

From probably fully modeling his junk to ending it with a nuclear explosion, this is a dynasty warriors opening.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Scott Forstall posted:

are the season pass details new?

PS4/XBox are available for preordering, I'm still waiting on a Steam listing

Seems like a worthless pass.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Seems like a worthless pass.

It's basically the content we'd usually see in an XL version so not too bad.

Doesn't feel like a must buy given the content of the base game though.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Drakenel posted:

From probably fully modeling his junk to ending it with a nuclear explosion, this is a dynasty warriors opening.
It's not a proper opening unless a horse gets kicked in the face.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
If that's DW9's opening it's a bit disappointing. They've been ramping up the ridiculousness of the openings each year and this one feels a bit tame in comparison.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJGxFv-bs0

Gonna miss the old voice actors.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The VA isn't that bad, sheesh. What they should be making fun of is how everyone that does these gameplay videos always sucks rear end at the simplest game. They don't mix up the attacks, they don't pick up the drops, they spend a ton of time just staring at the menus and not doing anything. And they'll just swing at nothing or stand still for periods of time.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drakenel posted:

The VA isn't that bad, sheesh. What they should be making fun of is how everyone that does these gameplay videos always sucks rear end at the simplest game. They don't mix up the attacks, they don't pick up the drops, they spend a ton of time just staring at the menus and not doing anything. And they'll just swing at nothing or stand still for periods of time.

going for that cpu enemy experience

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Seriously though I want the Chinese VA that the Chinese release is getting. I actually enjoyed RoTK 13 having that option, makes it feel a bit more authentic which I realize is silly to ask for in a Warriors game but we don't get Chinese dubs that often in games!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Seriously though I want the Chinese VA that the Chinese release is getting.

I believe it's been confirmed that the Western release will have all 3 voice tracks.

EDIT: Yes, it has https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/955932153052712960

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Kick rear end! Thanks!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I actually like the Chinese voices a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPppkqB5MOg

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
One more step towards merging Dynasty Warriors and the ROTK series. This is a good thing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mokinokaro posted:

I actually like the Chinese voices a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPppkqB5MOg

Dong Bai owns.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Definitely going to be playing in Chinese. I wonder if Zhao Yun will be called Zhao Zilong in the dub.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

PureRok posted:

Definitely going to be playing in Chinese. I wonder if Zhao Yun will be called Zhao Zilong in the dub.

Why would they courtesy name just one dude?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Found another video that shows off some more of the voicework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHiDDi4sbQ

Lu Bu sounds...off.

Watching this, I think what's bothering me about the English VA is that apart from it being a step back from the dub of DW8, the voices are all sort flat. I know the comparisons been made to the DW3-era of dubbing, but that was entertaining moreso in that regard that the VAs didn't know how to pronounce the names properly ("You must remember this, Cow Cow!"), and it seemed like they were trying to over-embellish. From what we've seen of DW9, it just seems pretty rote, it almost sounds like one guy doing all the voices, and not putting a lot of effort into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

According to Dengeki PlayStation, it takes roughly an hour and 40 minutes to run from one end of the map to another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YURWMKFOLo