Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

lelandjs posted:

So I'm playing Night in the Woods and while I really, really want to give it a hearty recommendation for the writing and graphical style it's being dragged down by the slow character movement speed, long load times between screens, and the framerate tanking when vehicles are driving past you.

Interesting. I haven’t noticed any long loads or frame rate drops when vehicles drive by so far. I’m not too far in though so maybe it gets worse in other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Just beat Steamworld Dig 2. The ending made me wonder if there is something else between Dig 2 and Heist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I haven't noticed any framerate issues with NITW but there seem to be sound sync issues at some points.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I was thinking about buying Oxenfree tonight. The game has a real Coraline vibe to it and I like the character designs.

Edit:
That or hiragana pixel party.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 3, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I highly recommend not just buying video games but also loving video games, or if you realize you don't love the video games at least appreciate the good the video games do and wish that they find true love with others who will love and appreciate them as they are.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Then the penetration can begin

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I'll keep that in mind.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Those NITW issues sound disappointing. Hopefully they can fix it with updates. I really want to play that game on Switch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's nothing unplayable about it, thankfully. It's just less optimized than I remember it being on the PC.

I'm blowing through the game right now and it's soooo good.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I considered buying it, but the game would feel too empty without laurentheflute and the gang going on hours-long tangents :kimchi:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hurrah, made it through zone 1 of necrodancer.

Also been playing an hour and some of night in the woods - I think the performance issues have been really kinda overstated by some people. I've seen dips at cars, definitely would not call it "tanking." Loading screens take single digits of seconds. Seems completely fine.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Stop talking up all the games I want people I just want them all more now.

I’ll probably get Curse of the Necrodancer first. But I’m still very intrigued by Bayo. I’d probably pick up 1 first and if I like it drop the money on 2 since it would be discounted.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i hope they go back to their roots and call the next console the super switch

and then after that the super, duper switch

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Was I the only one disappointed with Odyssey? I played the main campaign, got the moons, beat bowser and put it down. It was about 8 hours and I have no desire to go back to it.

I love Galaxy and played the poo poo out of it, but Odyssey just didn't grab me. I did like New Donk City, though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lord Frisk posted:

Was I the only one disappointed with Odyssey? I played the main campaign, got the moons, beat bowser and put it down. It was about 8 hours and I have no desire to go back to it.

I love Galaxy and played the poo poo out of it, but Odyssey just didn't grab me. I did like New Donk City, though.
You played 1/3 of the game, so yeah.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Lord Frisk posted:

Nah, I beat it within 24 hours of buying it, I ended up selling it pretty quickly because I just felt done with it. Had like 400 moons.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Maybe a collectathon performer isn't your bag any more? I'm having fun with it going in blind, I'm currently at around 110 moons.

My biggest problem is that I sold my ps4 and went all in on the switch, so I have a crapton of games to choose from (and a couple preorders coming soon).

For those with kids, look into the parental control app on the phone. You can set a bedtime restriction timer - why that isn't available to set on the console itself I have no clue, but it works perfectly for what I needed

If anyone's into the translucent joycons, I've got a set of blue/green on samart, I decided that I want to go with the 4-color route if anyone wanted to bite. They're essentially at cost, about $30 cheaper from what I saw for most complete sets

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked it more than Galaxy and plan to return to it to 100% it after the update drops.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cobalt Viper posted:

You played 1/3 of the game, so yeah.

Rehashing the levels didn't seem worth it. I got the moons to get to the next world.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The moons are the content.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

The moons are the content.

Just like in bayonetta!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Are you beating the bosses of each world?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Reality Loser posted:

Are you beating the bosses of each world?

Yeah. And that was good. Are those optional? I thought you had to beat them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I know what you're saying, despite being a really fun and great entry in the series, Odyssey blows its load way too quickly

I'd say that 500 moons feels about "done," and much of it even by then already feels repetitive in terms of new and fun surprises (let alone up to 800). I'd like to have seen more fresh worlds and content up to hour 15-20, but in reality most people will have seen all worlds by hours 6-10

The additional moons are fun for sure, but a little more unique content would have been a boon and certainly wouldn't have made the game worse

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Just think of a chunk of the moons as red coins since they're hidden in the same kind of spots that the coins would be, and the moons don't make you restart the level like stars did

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thelaughingman posted:

I was thinking about buying Oxenfree tonight. The game has a real Coraline vibe to it and I like the character designs.

Edit:
That or hiragana pixel party.

Oxenfree is really good and well worth a play.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The only issue surrounding Unity, and not actually WITH it) is that it's got a far lower barrier for entry than Unreal does. A good dev can optimize a Unity game to run just fine.

I don't want to drag this out for too long, but having worked with Unity for years before I moved back to C++, I feel like I have to say this just isn't true. Unity doesn't expose enough of its internals to allow you to write good, fast code, and they don't share source (well, maybe Blizzard has access to the source code, I don't know). You're constantly at the mercy of their graphics implementation, their scene graph system, Mono's GC, etc., and it frequently becomes an outright impediment to high performance. When you do what's easy in the system, you get something that performs very mediocrily; and doing anything else is hair-pullingly hard and bordering on impossible. We used to spend a great deal of effort bending over backwards to try to finagle Unity into doing remotely what we wanted, and the result was always far below expectations compared to what we could have done with real access to all the underlying stuff.

It's true though, the low barrier of entry is both a blessing and a curse and probably afflicts a great many games more than anything else.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 3, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oxenfree is really good and well worth a play.
Except the Switch version has constant stutters when you're simply waking, and the loading times between areas are pretty awful.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

and they don't share source (well, maybe Blizzard has access to the source code, I don't know).
They license out source code access, but...

Unity Licensing FAQ posted:

How can I license or use Unity's source code?

We license Unity source code on a per-case and per-title basis via special arrangements made by our business development team. As this can be quite expensive, we do not generally license source code to smaller operations, educational institutions, nor to companies in countries which do not have adequate legal intellectual property protection.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I'm loving Necrodancer, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to collect enough diamonds to get some of the later upgrades, since you have to get them in one run, but bosses only drop 5 the first time you beat them, and random ones seem pretty rare.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The Kins posted:

They license out source code access, but...

Yeah. And it's probably quite a big but. I expect Blizzard probably shelled out for it, but I can't imagine anyone else did.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah. And it's probably quite a big but. I expect Blizzard probably shelled out for it, but I can't imagine anyone else did.
They used to have a big "BUY A SOURCE CODE LICENSE ONLY X THOUSANDS DOLLARS" page on their site, but it seems to have vanished now.

Unsurprisingly, this is something Epic see as in their favor:

Tim Sweeney posted:

If you look at the last five or six years of engines, the competition between Epic and Unity has been defined by initial ease-of-use, where Unity has the advantage. Whereas over the life cycle of actually shipping a game, for performance, on multiple platforms, Unreal has had the advantage. That's because everything we do is aimed at being able to ship epic-scale games, which are the kind of games we build. That's actually quite a bit trickier than making it easy for a team of three people to create something quickly.

Now the Unreal Engine is about 20 times the code size of Unreal Engine 1. The tools are maybe 10 times the complexity, and necessarily so. People come into Unreal and they say "oh my god" because there are a lot of menu options. Then they go with Unity, and they say "oh so nice and easy." And they get to the point where they're trying to ship their product, and they go "oh poo poo, now we need to license source code, so we can add some features to the engine because they're not in the menus!" So, you know, that's the dichotomy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, and Tim's explanation there has been my experience too. Unity is great to work with right until it suddenly isn't, and you hit a brick wall with "PAY $XX,XXX TO NOT HAVE YOUR GAME SUCK" written on it. And sometimes that wall can show up in places where you least expect it, or much sooner than you thought. Like, for instance, last I checked there was no way to save a depth buffer to a texture. Why? Who knows, but Unity aren't going to add the feature just because you ask for it.

So if you stay within the confines of what Unity makes easy for you to do, and you don't mind wildly inconsistent framerates for no apparent reason (cough, it's probably the GC), Unity is way faster to get started with. I would urge developers to think about more than the first three months of development, though. If you plan on actually writing and shipping a professional quality game, you need to make sure you're going to be able to actually get there in the end without sacrificing things like performance.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I regret buying Mario Kart physical.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Lord Frisk posted:

Rehashing the levels didn't seem worth it. I got the moons to get to the next world.

yo at the very least go back to each world, break open the square moon rock thing, and do the grey pipe levels.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KingSlime posted:

I know what you're saying, despite being a really fun and great entry in the series, Odyssey blows its load way too quickly

I'd say that 500 moons feels about "done," and much of it even by then already feels repetitive in terms of new and fun surprises (let alone up to 800). I'd like to have seen more fresh worlds and content up to hour 15-20, but in reality most people will have seen all worlds by hours 6-10

The additional moons are fun for sure, but a little more unique content would have been a boon and certainly wouldn't have made the game worse

This is how I felt. I played some of the worlds post game but didn't go much farther than that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'd got ~270 moons by the time I cleared the Bowser escape. Took me 14 hours.
I'm yet to chill in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Dad Jokes posted:

I'm loving Necrodancer, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to collect enough diamonds to get some of the later upgrades, since you have to get them in one run, but bosses only drop 5 the first time you beat them, and random ones seem pretty rare.

There's one of the buried ones on every floor (the tile will look slightly different and have a tiny sparkle) and the number of diamonds you get from them goes up with each zone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lord Frisk posted:

I wouldn’t say disappointed, but I think my save is still on the bowser level pre-bowser, it just never grabbed me like botw did, and I just found myself wishing I was playing botw when I played it.

I fully recognize it’s a phenomenal game, I think I just prefer the more linear Mario’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Words about Unity vs Unreal

Welp, I take back what I said. Thanks for the explanation.

• Locked thread