Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How much weight can the average squaddie carry before they're even more useless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I'm not an active character in the LP, so I'm unsure of my voting rights, but I'd like to point out that the SG-550s probably have marginal advantages at best over the FNCs and the AKMs. Some kind of standalone scope or optic to turn one of them into a DMR might be a better use of funds, but if that's not an option, 40mm grenades and armor sound like the best investment.

Alternatively...am I reading the column for that Croatian monstrosity correctly? Are those optics I see? If they are, and they offer enough of an advantage, pick up one of those as a precision rifle. Eight points for a DMR, assuming that the VHS-D2 isn't too terrible in other stats, is much better than blowing eighty-one points on a bunch of rifles that largely duplicate what you already have with the FNCs, plus one genuinely useful DMR and two grenade launchers (which you can go standalone for).

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The VHS-2 you've been offered comes with integral 1.5-power optics. Also note that the Swiss Arms package comes with two, not one, ZF90 scopes.

And all followers can vote!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

bibliosabreur posted:

Alternatively...am I reading the column for that Croatian monstrosity correctly? Are those optics I see? If they are, and they offer enough of an advantage, pick up one of those as a precision rifle. Eight points for a DMR, assuming that the VHS-D2 isn't too terrible in other stats, is much better than blowing eighty-one points on a bunch of rifles that largely duplicate what you already have with the FNCs, plus one genuinely useful DMR and two grenade launchers (which you can go standalone for).

You are misreading. The VHS is just your bog-standard assault rifle. The "optics" you're seeing are probably a red dot sight or something, as they don't offer any accuracy bonus.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Bayonets are vitally important, but have you considered the advantages of the P90? It's very Stargatey.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Davin Valkri posted:

Okay, on the basis of absolutely nothing, I'm going to propose the following, called Plan Increase Wounds:

10x PASGT Helmets (2x10=20)
9x PASGT Vest (3x9=27)
1x Ranger Body Armor with Plate (21)
2x HK69A1 w/10 grenades apiece (22)
Total: 90

Rationale: At least basic armor for the entire squad, plus one designated for heavy armor. 2 grenade launchers can be handy, but we are not going to burn through all 20 of them on one mission; remember that we have frag grenades as well.

I like this idea. Any chance of throwing in a couple of MP7s?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bibliosabreur posted:

I'm not an active character in the LP, so I'm unsure of my voting rights, but I'd like to point out that the SG-550s probably have marginal advantages at best over the FNCs and the AKMs. Some kind of standalone scope or optic to turn one of them into a DMR might be a better use of funds, but if that's not an option, 40mm grenades and armor sound like the best investment.

I'm down for teh Croatian Tacticlol shootstick

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

bibliosabreur posted:

Supporting. A nice sniper rifle and some RPG's should help. And do we have to buy grenades/magazines in batches in resupply and are limite dto what we have in store for missions or do we get some free 'refills' for basic supplies (Ie, enough frag grenades for each squad member to have X amount or hae toprocure them separately and parcel them out)?

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
The Croatian Creation isn''t a DMR but, as Dance Officer mentioned, more of a gimmick assault rifle. It's funny and I want to see it in action but if we want DMRs we're better off going with the Swiss package.

Not sure about the armour. The ranger body armour is the only option that seems worth the points but giving everyone helmets isn't a bad idea.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think people wanting to upgrade our firepower are forgetting just how insanely lethal the last fire fight was already. All told 15 people died in 22 seconds. That said I vote for:

Plan Increase Wounds

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

wedgekree posted:

And do we have to buy grenades/magazines in batches in resupply and are limite dto what we have in store for missions or do we get some free 'refills' for basic supplies (Ie, enough frag grenades for each squad member to have X amount or hae toprocure them separately and parcel them out)?

Currently, the only ammunition you have more than enough of is 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO, and 9x19mm Parabellum. Getting things to the Azores is a bit difficult at the moment, because of the lack of intel on enemy force concentrations and capabilities.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can I point out that the full ranger armor + plate is, on its own, a whopping 17 pounds? Armor in general is going to slow some of the weaker people down, and even the strongest guy is guaranteed to be at least a full speed slower wearing the vest with plates.

I propose the following alternative plan: Better protection for faster troops

10x PASGT Helmets (20)
7x PASGT Vest (21)
3x HK MP7A1 (15)
3x Ranger Body Armor (33)

Total Expenditure = 89

I want to heavily emphasize this sentence:

quote:

NOTE: If the PEN of an attack is less than or equal to 2×PF, the DC is downgraded to 1.

There is literally no reason to buy the plates if the best weapons we've seen fielded are already reduced to 1 DC at point blank range with just the ranger armor and no plates. Instead of having one slow as hell guy who isn't benefiting from the extra armor, we could have 3 guys that are essentially as well protected and way more mobile.

On top of that, The HKs would give us more options for some of our weaker soldiery who are now going to have to be encumbered with armor and helmets. The HK is secretly great, guys, it weighs very little and has close to twice the penetration of the other SMG, which is really good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The PASGT seems not enough though. I'd skip it and only buy the ranger gear for the point men.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Arms Plan Rossini gets my vote.
Door kickers get plates. Everyone gets more choices in guns. Replacement goons might get rolled up as beefcakes or eagle eyes so we want some flexibility.

also launch Grenades through windows.

Sell the AKs. replace with SIGs.

Alternatively. Plan: Fiscal Responsibility.

1x HK69A1 w/ 10 rounds (11 Budget Points)
2x M1952 Armored Vest (2 Budget Points ea)
Total: 15 Budget
Remaining: 75 budget

Save money for CASEVAC and Family death funds.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Budget plan Goat

6 helmets 12pts
4 ranger suits 44pts
2 grenade launchers 22pts
2 P90s 12pts

Two 2-man MG teams with support/ammo carriers with P90s.
Two 3-man Assault teams composed of 1 guy to shoot grenades through the windows and 2 burly chaps in body armour to follow it up.

90 monies exactly.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Veryslightlymad posted:

There is literally no reason to buy the plates if the best weapons we've seen fielded are already reduced to 1 DC at point blank range with just the ranger armor and no plates. Instead of having one slow as hell guy who isn't benefiting from the extra armor, we could have 3 guys that are essentially as well protected and way more mobile.
Getting hit by a bullet that's DC1 isn't a fun time either. From the Discord (where we should probably do less discussion):

LatwPIAT posted:

EPEN (which is how deep the bullet goes), is calculated as EPEN = PEN - PF.
If EPEN is less than or equal to PF, it still penetrates, but in addition, DC is reduced to 1.
So Ranger Body Armor protects fully against anything with PEN 10.7 or less, reduces EPEN and downgrades to DC 1 anything with PEN 21.4 or less, and only reduces EPEN for anything more.
But yes, RBA with plate will block a 7.62 NATO from a MAG at the muzzle. Though you might get a pretty nasty bruise.
There was also mention of the ballistic blunt trauma tables, which sound like they're probably less pleasant than being dead.

I wouldn't dismiss the P90 entirely, compared to the MP7 it has better or equal DC at all ranges, better MA, better accuracy beyond 3 steps of aiming and a larger magazine for the same AW. It's actually a very convincing challenger to the AKM in my opinion.

I agree that the Swiss package isn't worth it at all. The rifles are so marginally superior to the FNCs that we'll probably never notice, the grenade launchers both compromise the rifles and are much less accurate than the standalone HK ones and the marksman rifles aren't worth 81 monies. The GLs look like a weight saving but they're not if you buy yourself a P90 and a HK GL. Bayonets might be fun though.

The VHS-2 is another marginal improvement. Nah.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
From the chart earlier, which, admittedly, is only one body area of example, (hip socket), getting hit at minimum range with a gun like what we've seen in the last mission, the gun would have an EPEN of about 7ish, and a DC of 1.

This deals a whopping 3 damage at that location. What's it like on something without bones, say, directly to the abdomen?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Man, Phoenix Command is never not amazing in it's, uh, thoroughness, among other things. Always good to see someone determined to try and run it.

Put me in the reserves as Jimmy "Jimmums" J. Jimms.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

FrangibleCover posted:

Getting hit by a bullet that's DC1 isn't a fun time either. From the Discord (where we should probably do less discussion):

There was also mention of the ballistic blunt trauma tables, which sound like they're probably less pleasant than being dead.

I wouldn't dismiss the P90 entirely, compared to the MP7 it has better or equal DC at all ranges, better MA, better accuracy beyond 3 steps of aiming and a larger magazine for the same AW. It's actually a very convincing challenger to the AKM in my opinion.

I agree that the Swiss package isn't worth it at all. The rifles are so marginally superior to the FNCs that we'll probably never notice, the grenade launchers both compromise the rifles and are much less accurate than the standalone HK ones and the marksman rifles aren't worth 81 monies. The GLs look like a weight saving but they're not if you buy yourself a P90 and a HK GL. Bayonets might be fun though.

The VHS-2 is another marginal improvement. Nah.

The world moved away from SMGs like the P90 really hard after WW2, as a weapon to equip infantry with at the very least. The AK itself is p.much an evolution of the SMG; controllable rapid fire, but much better range, damage and penetration that were the downsides of the SMG. The P90 would be a good choice for someone like a tanker, but not front line infantry like all of our troops. Guys with smg's will just constantly get shot at from ranges without being able to effectively return fire.

Long story short, don't equip our troops with SMGs.

Also, the underslung grenade launcher doesn't impact the performance of the SG550 in any significant way, and the same is true the other way around. The only difference between the two GL's is that the underslung reloads slower and is significantly lighter.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Dance Officer posted:

The world moved away from SMGs like the P90 really hard after WW2, as a weapon to equip infantry with at the very least. The AK itself is p.much an evolution of the SMG; controllable rapid fire, but much better range, damage and penetration that were the downsides of the SMG. The P90 would be a good choice for someone like a tanker, but not front line infantry like all of our troops. Guys with smg's will just constantly get shot at from ranges without being able to effectively return fire.

Long story short, don't equip our troops with SMGs.
I don't mean all of them, of course, whatever happens here our standard firearm will either remain the FNC or become the SG550. Just the guys who I was talking about as better off with the AKM, like ammo carriers, who we expect to fire less than two magazines in a mission and have weight limitations.

(That comment about tankers makes me want to start a 300 page Tonk Lobby to get us a Tonk by hook or by crook. PCCS simulates them, it won't make the gameplay different in any way! Honest!)

quote:

Also, the underslung grenade launcher doesn't impact the performance of the SG550 in any significant way, and the same is true the other way around. The only difference between the two GL's is that the underslung reloads slower and is significantly lighter.
And that the underslung cannot aim for as long as the standalone and that it is five points less accurate for the first two aim ticks.

Personally I endorse a modified version of plan Goat where we trade one of the grenade launchers for two boxes of ammunition for the remaining launcher (always helpful) and pick up another helmet with the spare cash, leaving:

Angora
7x helmets 14pts
4x ranger suits 44pts
1x grenade launchers 11pts
20x 40mm grenades 8 points
2x P90s 12pts

because I think it's really flexible. P90s on ammo bearers, fine. P90s and RBA and PASGTs on the weedier assaulters, great. RBA for the sustained fire guys since they're slow anyway and leave the assaulters quick. Grenadier at the back hauling ammo and helping the gunners, grenadier up the front with a P90 to breach mouseholes for the assaulters, grenadier with nothing but the launcher, a pistol and all the grenades they can carry. With 50 rounds in the magazine an ammo bearer with a P90 doesn't even need to carry spare ammunition for themself. Indeed if we get a few more missions like the last operation we should consider carrying much less ammo, I don't think anyone even got the chance to reload.

Although having said all of that I don't really mind what we get. Guns are fun, more guns are more fun, there's no strictly wrong answer. Apart from 9x Ranger plates and no plate carriers, that's wrong.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm sure we could afford a t34 at least, maybe even a t55.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Whatever we do we should get at least a couple of grenade launchers. Those and the DMRs are the only real game-changers in the current offering. Slightly better guns or the chance to maybe not die from a gunshot slightly more often doesn't make as much of a difference as being able to frag entrenched bads at extended range or just scare the gently caress out of people with big explosions and shrapnel.

Consequently, I vote for budget plan Goat for the flexibility

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Save up for a light tank. :killdozer:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Scorpion or a Scimitar!

Also, P90 was made specifically because
Rifles are rear end to use in doors
9mm was having trouble against body armor

So P90 is a good thing if you're storming buildings.

So once PIAT announces official vote, I'll for helmets, helmets for all, regular armor for most, ranger for at most two and two grenade launchers.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Oh man this looks like a good time. I’d love to be signed up as Felix Schwartz.

Also, all of these purchase orders sound good. But I like the ones that keep us flexible with our tactics, get at least helmets for everyone, and keep equipment load light.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Helmets are going to get penned easily by incoming rifle rounds at any range, inflicting damage to the head that is not survivable.

Meanwhile, ranger armor, or ranger armor with plate, covers a much larger area where hits are more survivable. It likely would have saved the unfortunate goon who took a hit in the heart, for instance.

Scrub tier body armor isn’t really worth it for anyone, since, while affordable, it is heavy. I say at this point ranger armor for those who can carry it and keep up is the only worthwhile choice.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Cathode Raymond posted:

Helmets are going to get penned easily by incoming rifle rounds at any range, inflicting damage to the head that is not survivable.
Good point, we've not seen any pistol caliber stuff yet and fragmentation protection for the head only seems... optimistic. I wonder:

Angora II
4x ranger suits 44pts
2x grenade launchers 22pts
10x spare 40mm grenades 4pts
2x P90s 12pts

Which gives us 8 points to play with. If we can bank them then I would, if we can't then add on the only 8 point option we have: 1x VHS-2. Don't fail me now, Yugoslav arms industry!

Is this going to be one of those votes that ends up with 14 options, each with one vote? Maybe STV would be a good plan at this point.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If it does I would imagine piat will take a guessed consensus since really there's only 2 or 3 significantly different plans.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I was asked what your current team looks like:

I was also asked what 5.45x39 mm Soviet looks like:

FrangibleCover posted:

Is this going to be one of those votes that ends up with 14 options, each with one vote? Maybe STV would be a good plan at this point.

I like my Borda counts.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Question for latwpiat
If I sign up as a trooper will I be expected to put time in and control my shootman when in mission. Some of us are not US timezone.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kommando posted:

Question for latwpiat
If I sign up as a trooper will I be expected to put time in and control my shootman when in mission. Some of us are not US timezone.

Last mission he ran it for us, there's a chance to input on overall plan of attack but that takes a few days.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kommando posted:

No. Like a Let's Play of X-COM, I run all the shootmans based on mission plans laid by the readers.

sebmojo posted:

Last mission he ran it for us

>:c

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LatwPIAT posted:

No. Like a Let's Play of X-COM, I run all the shootmans based on mission plans laid by the readers.

>:c

Oh, sorry! I even knew that, just phone blurting.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Cool. PIAT, sign me up as reserve Shootman Julian Niemczyk

Pictured here assisting training with a captured PKM.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would like to sign up as Jimmy Dorekicker

I'd also like to vote for Plan Increase Wounds

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

I am very much in favor of full squad shrapnel (and pistol caliber) protection ASAP. All you need is one guy with a grenade launcher and our day is ruined.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You'll still get shredded arms and legs.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

goatface posted:

You'll still get shredded arms and legs.

Yes but that is survivable to a much larger degree which is my main concern.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Late to the proposal party, but I propose Silly Hats for All!

PASGT Helmets x10 (20BP)
Ranger Body Armor x5 (55BP)
PASGT Vest x5 (15BP)
--------------------------------------
Total spent = 90BP

It provides at least some protection for everyone and 5 good vests for those doing the assaulting. Ideally we'd get better protection for everyone in the end, but there's no budget for that right now.

Surviving missions and looking the part of a special forces team instead of a bunch of jackasses with guns builds good PR. Which can bring in big investors for better funding.

orcbuster posted:

I am very much in favor of full squad shrapnel (and pistol caliber) protection ASAP. All you need is one guy with a grenade launcher and our day is ruined.
Seconding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Phoenix question: I suppose that real armies don't use Molotov cocktails and other such improvised explosives because those suck rear end compared to actual manufactured grenades, how is this modelled?

• Locked thread