Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Ceciltron posted:

Salt on asphalt/gravel, zeolite/gravel traction-aid or chlorine/sodium-free ice melter on cement and paving stone.

I'm mainly dealing with a sheet of ice on grassy lawn that we walk on from the gravel driveway to our house. Our woodstove just doesn't produce enough ash. :sorrow:

The birds are doing pretty well this winter, although we need to bring our rooster in at night to prevent his comb from getting frostbite:

You can see the ice pretty well in the bottom right corner of the image. That white one is Bearda, who brought up the Guineas that she's so casually hanging out with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

we need to bring our rooster in at night to prevent his comb from getting frostbite
have you considered a tiny balaclava

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

have you considered a tiny balaclava

tiny little mitre and strap on beard

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I know this isn't really the thread for it, but since I've been posting about the Lakota, reservation life, etc I'd appreciate your prayers for my students.

This week I've experienced the following and more:

-Student who can't attend class because they can't afford gas to drive to campus.
-Student who can't attend class because they are guardian for two grandchildren and just learned a third grandchild was in foster care, so they are working to adopt the third child.
-Student who had to withdraw because their husband had a stroke due to IHS* having zero preventative healthcare.

It's really frustrating and somewhat demoralizing. I have several great students who do their readings and participate in class, but have to leave school because of economic/social obstacles.

I was familiar with these issues growing up, but actually working in the system and having to confront them head-on is another story.

Please include in your prayers disadvantaged students around the world who are working to complete higher education despite the obstacles.

*A lot of people think IHS means free healthcare for reservation members. That's somewhat true... but IHS has a limited budget. Healthcare for tribal members is free, but severely rationed by IHS. This means if you have cancer, IHS probably can't pay for treatment and you're poo poo outta luck.
A common observation is that tribal members are missing teeth. That's largely because it's cheaper for IHS to just pull teeth than do preventative work or repair existing teeth. If you're a tribal member in your 30s you're likely missing many of your teeth.
Similarly, many of my students have no vision healthcare. Around a quarter of my students come to class early, sit in the front row, and squint because oh hey you're vision is bad but not that bad, so IHS isn't gonna pay for glasses.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I know this isn't really the thread for it,

Are you sure? Can the Christ be limited to such a narrowly defined thread, if the well-being of your marginalized students is dear to us here, some of whom pray to Jesus as God the Son, and others deeply think affectionate thoughts? I'm delighted to read your stories, but if you want to make your own thread concurrently, that'd make me happy, too.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
wanna party with those Germans

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

pidan posted:

This sounds really horrible, like something you'd hear from third world countries. Is this what life is generally like for poor Americans, or would a poor person in Appalachia or Detroit generally have access to things like tooth fillings and appropriate prescription glasses?
Is there some charity that helps these students? Unicef? Jesuits?

I think there's a US poverty thread in D&D somewhere, or you could start your own thread about tribal issues, I'd read it. Make sure to put a link here!

American health care in general is probably its own subforum, let alone its own thread.

But (and this is all just off the top of my head so I'm likely to get some details wrong) there are three basic ways Americans get health care (four if you count "wait til you're dying, go to the E.R., and then dodge collection agencies for the foreseeable future").

There's health insurance which, in theory, is accessible to anyone but in practice lol. Most people who have insurance either get it through their jobs or via what's left of the A.C.A. ("Obamacare"), but there is an extremely wide variety of what's covered and how much you're expected to pay out of pocket and in monthly premiums. My insurance plan, for example, charges me $45 for any nonroutine doctor visit, caps the amount I'll have to spend on most prescriptions, and will cover 75% of all other medical procedures, and after I've spent a certain amount per year (I forget exactly, but I think it's $5,000) I won't have to pay anything at all after that. Some plans are better than this; many are much much worse. My job also pays for 75% of my monthly premiums; this is pretty unusual. Some insurance plans offer dental and vision coverage, some don't.

There's Medicare, our federal system, which is primarily for older people. I'm not super familiar with the ins and outs of it, but my impression is that it's generally pretty good, but doesn't cover everything (to the point where there's a market for 'supplemental insurance' for people on Medicare).

Then there's Medicaid, which is the variety of state programs for poor people, and there's a huge variety here, ranging from "gently caress you, poor person" to genuinely very good coverage. I have a close friend who's on Minnesota's medical assistance, and she gets pretty much everything she could ever need covered. However, my mother was on Medicaid in Ohio in the late 90s/early 00s, and it wouldn't kick in until she'd spent what basically amounted to her entire income minus $400 every month (and they considered her federal disability benefit to be income). I was, thankfully, in a position to help support her financially at that time. Some states saw their Medicaid systems expanded under the A.C.A; some chose not to take this expansion. (It was originally supposed to be across the board, but our Supreme Court nixed that.)

As complicated as I've made all this sound, it's actually even more complicated. This doesn't even consider the ways in which prices of services and prescription drugs are substantially inflated for the uninsured (largely because insurance companies get to decide how much they'll pay for services and health care providers are expected to just deal with it), and of course our, uh, volatile political situation at the moment means that pretty much anything could happen.

I don't know how any of this compares to what Pellisworth is describing, though given the U.S.'s general history with native people, I can guess.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you make less than $30k in the US and you're under 65 you see a doctor when you think you're going to die if you don't and not one minute sooner.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

pidan posted:

Fish & pickles, exercise, some fasting and weeping (?) is basically what we think is healthy nowadays as well, so maybe those monks were on to something.
It is also a completely acceptable Lenten Fast Diet, which is approaching very, very fast. Always too fast.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

I know this isn't really the thread for it, but since I've been posting about the Lakota, reservation life, etc I'd appreciate your prayers for my students.

This week I've experienced the following and more:

-Student who can't attend class because they can't afford gas to drive to campus.
-Student who can't attend class because they are guardian for two grandchildren and just learned a third grandchild was in foster care, so they are working to adopt the third child.
-Student who had to withdraw because their husband had a stroke due to IHS* having zero preventative healthcare.

It's really frustrating and somewhat demoralizing. I have several great students who do their readings and participate in class, but have to leave school because of economic/social obstacles.

I was familiar with these issues growing up, but actually working in the system and having to confront them head-on is another story.

Please include in your prayers disadvantaged students around the world who are working to complete higher education despite the obstacles.

*A lot of people think IHS means free healthcare for reservation members. That's somewhat true... but IHS has a limited budget. Healthcare for tribal members is free, but severely rationed by IHS. This means if you have cancer, IHS probably can't pay for treatment and you're poo poo outta luck.
A common observation is that tribal members are missing teeth. That's largely because it's cheaper for IHS to just pull teeth than do preventative work or repair existing teeth. If you're a tribal member in your 30s you're likely missing many of your teeth.
Similarly, many of my students have no vision healthcare. Around a quarter of my students come to class early, sit in the front row, and squint because oh hey you're vision is bad but not that bad, so IHS isn't gonna pay for glasses.

Thank you for bringing the problems plaguing Indian reservations to our attention. I’ll keep them (and you) in my prayers.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

If you make less than $30k in the US and you're under 65 you see a doctor when you think you're going to die if you don't and not one minute sooner.

I make less than 30k and I see a doctor once a year because I'm on masshealth.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Pellisworth, if I can show off my chickens to the thread, I'm pretty sure it's permissible to bring your Lakota experiences to this communal table.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry this is a bit random but I've heard some great hot takes online about the problems we face today. Was it the Frankfurt School or the French Postmodernists who destroyed Western Civilization?

The answer is apparently neither. Everything wrong with the modern West can be traced back to one guy 700 years ago.
http://anamnesisjournal.com/2014/12/whats-wrong-ockham-reassessing-role-nominalism-dissolution-west/

quote:

Like Macbeth, Western man made an evil decision, which has become the efficient and final cause of other evil decisions. Have we forgotten our encounter with the witches on the heath? It occurred in the late fourteenth century, and what the witches said to the protagonist of this drama was that man could realize himself more fully if he would only abandon his belief in the existence of transcendentals. The powers of darkness were working subtly, as always, and they couched this proposition in the seemingly innocent form of an attack upon universals. The defeat of logical realism in the great medieval debate was the crucial event in the history of Western culture; from this flowed those acts which issue now in modern decadence.[3]

I had never even heard of him until a very intellectual and informed Christian I know brought him up to mock the "Postmodernist Neo Marxists have ruined everything" conspiracy theories. I find it very interesting to learn of a man I never knew existed via hearing how he ruined all of Western Civilization.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Save us from naive Aquinians.

Tias
May 25, 2008

it's me I'm the neo-marxist witch

Wait, what was the argument again? :stare:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Totally forgot that yesterday was the feast day of St Blaise, that was a nice surprise when the priest busted out the candles 🕯️🙏

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tias posted:

it's me I'm the neo-marxist witch

Wait, what was the argument again? :stare:

The argument was that Ockham was the first nominalist (he wasn't), and that nominalism has led to the downfall of Western civilization (it hasn't), but while previous people have said that this was because Ockham denied universals, it's really because he denied formal causality.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's.. something :stare: :stare:

I guess people would rather build a specific scarecrow than accept that history is a relationship of many and complex factors.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tias posted:

I guess people would rather build a specific scarecrow than accept that history is a relationship of many and complex factors.

I do consider it a self-evident and also objectively provable fact that we in the modern age face challenges our ancestors did not. However this is due to technology, information and pluralism, not some dude almost a millennium ago. I admittedly like these grantd historical narratives because they reveal something, even if it isn't exactly what they were supposed to reveal. This is just a new narrative that I can add to "the Enlightenment really ruined everything by excluding God from Reason and society" and "Frankfurt School" and "Postmodernism" and so-on.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tias posted:

A lot of Traditionalist and old school Catholics hate nominalism, because they're afraid it leads to a kind of relativism. If all terms are just human conceived categories and don't reflect some sort of underlying independent reality, then how can you define any sort of objective moral stances or truths about the universe? And if you can't do that, then what happens to truth, or justice, or God? Besides, Luther and a lot of the earliest Protestant thinkers embraced nominalist views, and that really pisses the TradCaths off.

And a lot of them blame Ockham for that, even though:

1. Ockham wasn't the first nominalist
2. There was no sort of organized medieval nominalist school. It's a later category (15th century or so) lumping in a bunch of medieval philosophers who had problems with the traditional understanding of categories in philosophical thought, and the people lumped together as nominalists disagreed with each other on a lot.
3. Medieval "nominalism" isn't the same thing as modern nominalism.
4. A lot of nominalists aren't moral relativists, and none of the medieval ones were.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
What again is the essence of nominalism?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Numerical Anxiety posted:

What again is the essence of nominalism?

One of the questions in philosophy is something called the "problem of universals". So, for instance, we say this

is a cat, and this

is a cat, but this

is not a cat. So how do we know that the first two things are cats, but the third thing is not a cat? The answer is, what we call a "cat" has certain properties that the non cat doesn't. So a cat has fur, a cat's alive, a cat walks on four legs, a cat has paws, and so forth. If something has those properties, it's a cat. If it doesn't, it's not. Those properties "has fur", "alive", "walks on four legs", "paws", are what are called universals. This view is called realism.

Nominalism, on the other hand says, wait a minute. How do you know that "fur" exists? We can talk about "Fluffy the cat's fur", and "Mittens the cat's fur" and "Bob the dog's fur", but there's no such thing as "fur" outside of discrete objects. "Fur" is just a word we use to lump together individual objects, but there's not really any such thing as "fur", or cats for that matter. We call the first objects cats and the third one not a cat just because it's useful for us to to do so, but neither of those things are really a "cat". It's just a term we use for convenience.

Most of the medieval nominalists; people like Peter Abelard and William of Ockham, are what are called "conceptualists", which is that universal are a mental concept. "Fur" is a real thing, in our mind, but we don't have any reason to believe it exists as a real thing outside of our conception of it.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 4, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

NikkolasKing posted:

I do consider it a self-evident and also objectively provable fact that we in the modern age face challenges our ancestors did not. However this is due to technology, information and pluralism...
the second two are a thing in my period as well. Publishing before copyright looks a lot like a very slow, papery Internet.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

universal are a mental concept.
which you can get from a side remark in one of plato's dialogues, counterintuitively enough

anyway, CountFosco hates nominalism, because the idea that there is more than one kind of marriage in history makes him antsy

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

the second two are a thing in my period as well. Publishing before copyright looks a lot like a very slow, papery Internet.

I don't think the average peasant 500 years ago knew much about alternative ethical theories or theological questions or diverse cultural values.

We today have access to what might as well be an infinite repository of knowledge. I'm a poor schlub but I can read Plato and Kant and Mill and countless others. And, hell, if we are dissatisfied with Western developments in philosophy or theology, we can look at Indian or East Asian philosophy which took a very different path. That is not something really open to most people before very recent times. Even now, there are still many things that haven't been translated into English.

I personally have always felt lost in it all which is probably why I am interested in religion but cannot bring myself to be religious. There's simply too much at my disposal, How can I presume to know which is the right path?

And as for pluralism's role in all this, we are told - and rightly so - that all these ideas are valid and we are free to pick one. No one is breathing down our neck saying "be a good straight Christian with these ideas about society, sex and gender and ignore the heathens."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 4, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GUNS posted:

the printing press makes you stupid

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

read some of the broadsheets of the time, they own

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

The Protestant Reformation, aka The Schism that Shitposting Made

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think the average peasant 500 years ago knew much about alternative ethical theories or theological questions or diverse cultural values.

You'd be surprised, I think. 500 years ago, Europe was on the verge of almost tearing itself apart over theological questions, which would affect people from all walks of life and all social classes.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Controversial, but maybe true.

Epicurius posted:

is a cat, and this

is a cat, but this

is not a cat.

What the Hell is this??

From reading how you discussed nominalism, it reminds me of Eastern or neoplatonic nondualism, which also challenges the individual to look at the differentiation of everything (including the self's consciousness from the rest of the universe) and to recognize the convenient but illusory nature of our categorizing psyche. I've heard LSD can trigger a similar experience, which I would love to drop with every one of you here.

Epicurius posted:

You'd be surprised, I think. 500 years ago, Europe was on the verge of almost tearing itself apart over theological questions, which would affect people from all walks of life and all social classes.

Without proof, I'm quite convinced that there were some special and curious peasants who, without education, nevertheless were able to intuit through prayer and contemplation some very wise realizations about the way things might really be.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 4, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

The Protestant Reformation, aka The Schism that Shitposting Made

Menno Simons' most famous work, "Show Thyself Coward, I Shall Never Cease Teaching And Writing"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

Without proof, I'm quite convinced that there were some special and curious peasants who, without education, nevertheless were able to intuit through prayer and contemplation some very wise realizations about the way things might really be.
i don't think we should romanticize this, the only people who live like that that i know personally are pellisworth (cattle ranch) and my partner's dad's second wife (sheep farm) and there is a reason that lady lives in london now instead of having large farm animals walking through her literal kitchen

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Epicurius posted:

True, I am no historian but even I know there have been lively debates and conflicts all throughout human history. I just always got the impression this was largely an intellectual, upper-class exercise and while there was certainly upheaval across all classes, most folks were kinda just drug along by the rich people who could actually read and had all the wealth and power. Then again, I'm reminded of when I read up on the Reformation and the explosion of ideas and sects in...well, it wasn't really Germany yet I don't think but you get me. And this was primarily among peasants so I guess they must have been thinking more than I give them credit.

But then they all got killed by the rich people who had all the wealth and power so... Thanks, Luther. He really didn't think through the implications of this whole "By Faith Alone" thing, I guess.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

Thrill to the dangerous sectarians that are threatening England, including the nudist Adamite, the Jesuit, who'll turn you Papist just as soon as he finishes his beer, the Libertine, who's taking an axe to the Ten Commandments, the Anabaptist, who apparently wants to baptize you in the most awkward way possible, and the Soulsleeper, who just looks bored by the whole thing.

After that, go to Germany, and meet 7 headed Martin Luther. Let the author of the woodcut introduce you to his seven heads like so:

quote:

Thus all brothers emerge from the womb of one and the same cowl by a birth so monstrous, that none is like the other in either behavior, shape, face or character. The elder brothers, Doctor and Martinus, come closest to the opinion of the Church, and they are to be believed above all the others, if anything anywhere in Luther's books can be believed with any certainty at all. Lutherus, however, according to his surname, plays a wicked game just like Ismael. Ecclesiastes tells the people who are always keen on novelties, pleasant things. Svermerns rages furiously and errs in the manner of Phaeton throughout the skies. Barrabas is looking for violence and sedition everywhere. And at the last, Visitator, adorned with a new mitre and ambitious for a new papacy, prescribes new laws of ceremonies, and many old ones which he had previously abolished—revokes, removes, reduces.”

Then you can go to Rome, and meet with the animal loving Pope Leo and his advisers. Read them the little poems you made up. They'll love that.

You might be hungry after your trip, but that's ok, the monks and their kitchen helpers will cook you dinner.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I aspire to a goat herd that will keep my fit and fed while I shitpost pagan theology from my scandi suburb :getin:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

docbeard posted:

Menno Simons' most famous work, "Show Thyself Coward, I Shall Never Cease Teaching And Writing"

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Indulgences $3600
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not so sure about that either. Take the case of Menocchio for example: a rural miller of 16th-century northern Italy who sat in his mill, which was at the same time isolated from the rest of the village community and the site of countless visitors who brought their grain to be ground, and he thought and talked a whole lot about his ideas of theology, which greatly differed from Catholic orthodoxy - the central point probably being that God and the angels burst forth from the original chaos by spontaneous generation "like maggots from cheese". This popular medieval idea of vermin spontaneously springing forth from inanimate matter (rats from garbage, maggots from cheese etc) was at e centre of Menocchio's cosmology and gave Carlo Ginzburg the title for his seminal work "The Cheese and the Worms". Menocchio himself was eventually burned at the stake, but Ginzburg mentions that there was at least one different miller living nearby who held similar ideas. These are obviously only the cases where, through some accident of history, we have some knowledge about it. It stands to reason that there were many more we know nothing about.

Interestingly, Menocchio is an early example of an echo chamber: while he read a ton compared to his contemporaries (the minutes of his interrogation mention at least eleven books), Ginzburg stresses that all his reading was more to confirm already pre-existing ideas, and even then he ignored pretty much everything that went against his beliefs.

pidan posted:

I took hallucinogenic mushrooms once and it's probably on the top 10 list of worst days of my life. I didn't even have a "bad trip" or anything, it was just really unpleasant and I think left some lasting damage. So I would not recommend taking hallucinogenic drugs in general.

Set and setting (i.e. your psychological welfare and comfortable surroundings) is everything when it comes to hallucinogenics, when one or both doesn't fit then the likelihood of a bad trip increases greatly. Not to say that that was he case with your experience (there is still no guarantee that everything turns out great), but the couple times I tried LSD were always a blast and great fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pidan posted:

I wrote an essay some years ago arguing that book culture in Ming china was basically the same as the internet 2.0, which I creatively called printing 2.0, what with people writing comments and republishing things without attribution and just putting their stamp on everything.

People have been complaining about the spread of information accessibility since the beginning of time. Plato bitched about how the development of the written language and ability to read and write was dooming the intellectual capacity and moral character of the youth.

• Locked thread