Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I watched "Twice Upon a Time" and didn't really like it. The writing was all over the place and One was just written all wrong. There were some genuinely nice moments in it, but the Cybermen two-parter should've been Capaldi's finale.

It was going to be. But Moffat found out that Chibs wouldn't be able to take over in time for Christmas, and he knew that if Who missed a X-Mas special, there's a strong possibility that they wouldn't get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sometimes you have to dash out an episode on short notice and you get Day Of The Doctor, sometimes you... don't

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Now you’ve done all of Capaldi, you can watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW5tWXvn7A

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I don't know what my life has come to that I'm watching Dr. Who fanedits, but I thoroughly enjoyed that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched a ton of those last week. Some good, some VERY bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Soothing Vapors posted:

I don't know what my life has come to that I'm watching Dr. Who fanedits, but I thoroughly enjoyed that

Using a piece of music I really like went a long way, but it’s so well edited and put together. I’ve had a tear every time I’ve watched it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Inspired by Forktoss and Brig Sockface, I decided to draw something for the first time in a long time.

In unrelated matters I can now never sleep again for the rest of my life or this drawing of Tom Baker will eat me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Using a piece of music I really like went a long way, but it’s so well edited and put together. I’ve had a tear every time I’ve watched it.

Most of them tend to not be good because the maker doesn't know how to balance the dialogue with whatever bombastic music they've chosen.

Jerusalem posted:

Inspired by Forktoss and Brig Sockface, I decided to draw something for the first time in a long time.

In unrelated matters I can now never sleep again for the rest of my life or this drawing of Tom Baker will eat me.

yeah who the hell needs sleep?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Is this the face he made before, during or after the circle jerk?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

Is this the face he made before, during or after the circle jerk?

Why not all three?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why double post?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

Why double post?

Moffat must curse himself that he never got to write an episode about a double post being a sign of an alien from another reality sidling into our own to replace people with an evil doppelganger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat must curse himself that he never got to write an episode about a double post being a sign of an alien from another reality sidling into our own to replace people with an evil doppelganger.

Or the sign of two realities crashing together. You didn't make that second post. You did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

"Double-posting means a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something." :tinfoil:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Double Post

OF DEATH

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The_Doctor posted:

I watched another one of his videos even, he's very talented

Jerusalem posted:

The Road Virus Heads to Gallifrey

(srs tho that's pretty cool)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I know someone posted a page or two back about how they were watching "The Invasion", and I just had to add my appreciation to the list. I've been having classic DW episodes on in the background while painting up gaming miniatures, and I rediscovered my admiration for Troughton, in particular this story. And Kevin Stoney is just so drat good as Vaughn.

"Packer..." :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's also great with the commentary track, as they all find Packer's increasingly dishevelled appearance through the course of the serial hilarious :3:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Three Doctors is soooooooooooo good and I want an odd couple show starring Two and Three with Delgado Master as the wacky nextdoor neighbor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm reminded of the picture from previous threads of a latter-day Tom Baker smiling and waving as he enters someone's abode...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

It's also great with the commentary track, as they all find Packer's increasingly dishevelled appearance through the course of the serial hilarious :3:

The other stand out funny thing is them saying "You all look so young!" about Wendy Padbury, and then a guy coming on later who basically says "Phwoah I'd like a bit of that" whenever she's on screen

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Davros1 posted:

It was going to be. But Moffat found out that Chibs wouldn't be able to take over in time for Christmas, and he knew that if Who missed a X-Mas special, there's a strong possibility that they wouldn't get it back.

would that really have been a bad thing? how many more contrived xmas scenes does the show need?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cerv posted:

would that really have been a bad thing? how many more contrived xmas scenes does the show need?

I mean, if nothing else, it fundamentally reduces the episode count. Before we know it, Doctor Who is going to have a two episode run every four years, with maybe a webisode starring Tom Baker's wax dummy in between.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

I closed the forums and exited the web browser and shut down the monitor and unplugged the computer and left the house but those eyes will not go away, I assume it's supposed to do that?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The new Weeping Angel design is looking good!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rhyno posted:

The Three Doctors is soooooooooooo good and I want an odd couple show starring Two and Three with Delgado Master as the wacky nextdoor neighbor.

I want a new Three Doctors with Thirteen, Eight and The Curator.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

I want a new Three Doctors with Thirteen, Eight and The Curator.

And it turns out, Eight is actually the Curator, too. He's the Eight Curator. :rimshot:

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Speaking of Tom Baker, I just watched Shada, after reading it not too long ago. And at the end: They added a bit where Tom Baker reprised his role, looking like an old man, but he still has that same cheeky smile :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I understand so little of what goes on ITT

this but every thread and also rl

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vampess posted:

Speaking of Tom Baker, I just watched Shada, after reading it not too long ago. And at the end: They added a bit where Tom Baker reprised his role, looking like an old man, but he still has that same cheeky smile :allears:

Reprised his role as the 4th Doctor, or The Curator?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

Reprised his role as the 4th Doctor, or The Curator?

Yes

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cerv posted:

Yes! We watch the Who Christmas special on Christmas Day! Heathen :mad:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The other stand out funny thing is them saying "You all look so young!" about Wendy Padbury, and then a guy coming on later who basically says "Phwoah I'd like a bit of that" whenever she's on screen

I would like my own TARDIS, so I could go back in time and date Wendy Padbury :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The complete series 10 blu-ray doesn't have Twice Upon A Time on it :negative:

This is the worst thing to happen involving a missing episode in all of Doctor Who history!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's why I'm getting the Peter Capaldi Years box set - it has it!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The complete series 10 blu-ray doesn't have Twice Upon A Time on it :negative:

This is the worst thing to happen involving a missing episode in all of Doctor Who history!

Did series 7 have Day of the Doctor or Time of the Doctor on it?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

Nope.

Christmas specials usually end up as the first episode on the next season's collection, but series 8 didn't have Time presumably because it was a regeneration episode or whatever? So The First Doctor was a Raging Sexist, Actually will probably only be available standalone since it was Capaldi's regeneration.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

No, the series sets will usually only have the series itself on because they’re released not long after broadcast. Plus they can then sell you another disc soon after.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Saw that the German Complete 7th Doctor Boxset is going to have the extended version of Silver Nemesis that was released on VHS but not on DVD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Saw that the German Complete 7th Doctor Boxset is going to have the extended version of Silver Nemesis that was released on VHS but not on DVD

I guess there will be an upside to moving to Germany. :thunk:

• Locked thread