Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Especially if it's a bunch of adults making these scenes for the purpose of titillating teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Who just randomly inserts "My mother was thrown away by her lover" into a conversation?

What the poo poo, man?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, if it's a thing Akechi has been dying to talk to somebody about for ages but has no confidants to turn to, just spilling it to some random stranger that he won't care about if they judge him could just be him venting.

I imagine Maaku would be a decent bartender.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What I noticed just now is that the confidante didn't progress in this scene, so Joker probably agrees with the general gist of the posts here.

Although after a lot of Persona playthroughs I can appreciate a social link that takes care of his own grinding for the next rank.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, if it's a thing Akechi has been dying to talk to somebody about for ages but has no confidants to turn to, just spilling it to some random stranger that he won't care about if they judge him could just be him venting.

I imagine Maaku would be a decent bartender.

Clearly Lala is a good influence on him! But yeah, Akechi tries so hard to be charming and erudite, but it kinda falls apart when he talks about anything other than justice and being a detective.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

quote:

Make a frame with your fingers. Now compare to this shot.

What the gently caress is wrong with Yusuke's arms.

fivepapers
Nov 2, 2017
That's some mistake. Suppose to be on the outside.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Is Yusuke a contortionist? ...Most likely human error.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Arist posted:

Please Skip This One

The second I saw a beach in a Persona game, I decided to take your advice on that. The screenshots I've seen in the thread imply that this was the right idea.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

megane posted:

Make a frame with your fingers. Now compare to this shot.

What the gently caress is wrong with Yusuke's arms.
I quickly checked the video, that's not Yosuke's point of view. Yosuke is sitting to the left, while the camera decided to go meta and frame Ryuji through the finger frames. You can see the transition at about 15 seconds in the video.

The perspective still feels way off, but it's not as bad as Yosuke the extreme contorsionist.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Omobono posted:

What I noticed just now is that the confidante didn't progress in this scene, so Joker probably agrees with the general gist of the posts here.

Although after a lot of Persona playthroughs I can appreciate a social link that takes care of his own grinding for the next rank.

Uhhh

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Omobono posted:

It does rank up.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Omobono posted:

I quickly checked the video, that's not Yosuke's point of view. Yosuke is sitting to the left, while the camera decided to go meta and frame Ryuji through the finger frames. You can see the transition at about 15 seconds in the video.

The perspective still feels way off, but it's not as bad as Yosuke the extreme contorsionist.

Unless Yosuke took a day off of working at the Inaba Junes to go to the beach near Tokyo, I think you mean Yusuke here. (Man, even my autocorrect likes Yosuke more than Yusuke since it tried to change the latter to the former...)

Speaking of which, I don't know about beaches in Japan, so is there a famous one near Tokyo that #Millennials is likely at here?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The beach in-game is called Miura Beach, with Miura being a real part of Tokyo that does hug the water, but I don't know if the beach is real.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

The beach in-game is called Miura Beach, with Miura being a real part of Tokyo that does hug the water, but I don't know if the beach is real.

Googling Miura Beach gives me beaches on the Miura Peninsula in Kanagawa Prefecture, which is basically the suburbs south of Tokyo proper, said beaches bordering Tokyo Bay, so it seems legit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

GunnerJ posted:

Especially if it's a bunch of adults making these scenes for the purpose of titillating teenagers.

...well, they can't hire bloody teenagers to animate this!

And why is everyone treating this beach scene as inherently new to anime? A small beach chapter with some mild fanservice has been around for a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG while.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LA Justice.

Good thing no one in our party is black.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?

Junpei posted:

And why is everyone treating this beach scene as inherently new to anime? A small beach chapter with some mild fanservice has been around for a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG while.

Sometimes a thing can happen multiple times and be bad every time. People are just starting to be more aware of the fact that drawing close-up shots of teenager butts is kind of gross.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's also way more harmless than y'all are making it out to be

it's a butt, chill the gently caress out

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Junpei posted:

Nobody's treating it as "new to anime". Who even said anything about it being new to anime? I'm having serious trouble figuring out what made you think this was a good angle from which to defend this poo poo.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

In the grand scheme of things I agree, it doesn't mean much, but if you keep letting people get away with little poo poo, then they'll eventually move on to trying bigger things.

There's also more depressing attitudes towards women coming up later in the trip but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The only reason this whole beach scene exists in this game is to fulfill the old anime episode cliche of UMI DA!, and the plot beats could've literally happened anywhere else, so let's not pretend that there's nothing wrong with it here.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

On the other hand I do enjoy how Anne is okay with Ryuji's over-enthusiastic appreciation of her. Maybe it's inconsistent characterization or maybe she's more comfortable with the guys by this point in the story, but it takes an edge off the skeeviness. It's a nice change considering the reactions in persona 4's beach scene and camping trip.

Ann and Ryuji are childhood friends.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I feel it's more that this is yet another part of how the game treats Ann so weirdly. Like yeah, the fanservice by itself is bad, but it really sticks out like a sore thumb because of the message this game is trying to say.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:doh: Don't post while half asleep I guess.

I still stand by appreciating a social link putting the work himself instead of the MC, even if said SL is Akechi.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

thank you for your hot take of "sexualization of minors is cool and good, actually", something awful user closed down pizza parlor

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

'more harmless than y'all are making it out to be' does not equal 'cool and good' but thanks for playing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Persona beach scenes truly bring out the best in all of us.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I used to post “anime is a gateway to pedophilia” as a troll back in the day but christ if some of you perverts aren’t trying to make it a thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So why does Futaba keep bullying the cat? Is it because he has a bullyable face?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So why does Futaba keep bullying the cat? Is it because he has a bullyable face?

My money's on "she understands his speech even in the real world."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Really Pants posted:

My money's on "she understands his speech even in the real world."

Everyone who's been to the Metaverse understands his speech even in the real world. Futaba just likes pinching his fuzzy cheeks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Oxxidation posted:

Everyone who's been to the Metaverse understands his speech even in the real world. Futaba just likes pinching his fuzzy cheeks.

Has Morgana ever spoken with Akechi around? :tinfoil:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

He pissed on his shoes. In a way they communicated, but I would not call it a conversation.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I imagine that spending most of your life trapped in an Egypt-themed brain hell gives you a very strong antipathy toward cats.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, he did, and Akechi completely understood him. Morgana and the party were talking in the hallway in the TV News office when they went there on a school trip and Akechi coems round the corner having heard and understood something Morgana said, but none of the Phantom Thieves picked up on it at the time because they're loving imbeciles. Calling it now, Akechi's the mysterious other person in the Metaverse giving people psychotic episodes. Either that or the reason he's so hard on the Phantom Thieves is because he's some sorta solo wannabe Metaverse Batman and either thinks that the Phantom Thieves are behind the psychotic episodes or wants to catch the perpetrator himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man you people are overly sensitive about people above the age of consent being portrayed at all sexy. For a game designed for Teenagers. With a girl that has no issues being seen as attractive. (She is a model remember.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Right, but I meant she could understand Morgana all along, and now she's getting back at him for...whatever stupid thing he said about her, I don't remember but there's bound to be something

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man you people are overly sensitive about people above the age of consent being portrayed at all sexy. For a game designed for Teenagers. With a girl that has no issues being seen as attractive. (She is a model remember.)
It's just the way the yanks are. You learn to just ignore it mostly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Right, but I meant she could understand Morgana all along, and now she's getting back at him for...whatever stupid thing he said about her, I don't remember but there's bound to be something

Oh ok, it's not that either.

Futaba's got a poo poo-eating grin whenever she goes at him, she just enjoys needling people she likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Because sleeping all the time is her loving bit and he’s forcing Joker to step on her toes.