Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Count Roland posted:

I wonder how Hezbollah will behave in the next war.

They're practically a conventional army at this point, and have gained a great deal of combat experience in Syria. But will this experience help them? Hezbollah's operation in Syria was basically counter-insurgency. It didn't have to worry about IAF jets overhead, the constant surveillance, the precision munitions etc. Perhaps the tools they used so well in 2006 have atrophied in this new environment.

Plus given how messy the region is right now, a new war between these two could easily bring in other entities.

Hezbollah should just take over Syria already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Some pretty interesting poll results following the protests in Iran. The headline is reductive. There's a lot of information in the article.

https://twitter.com/Nussaibah/status/959537114827370497?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

Interesting but how accurate is this? Should we generally trust polls coming from authoritarian states?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

well, its not like its counterintuitive

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sinteres posted:

He wasn't a nice guy, and deserved what happened to him. I don't think he was going to show up to Benghazi with candy and flowers to win them over or anything, but where he actually had captured cities, the carnage seemed to be relatively contained once the fighting ended. Urban warfare isn't pretty even in the best of circumstances, so I'm sure the city's capture would have been messy, but it's not like the last few years have been all sunshine and happiness either.

The question is really if his crimes rose to the level of an open US effort to overthrow his regime under the flimsy pretext of a no fly zone rushed through the UN on the basis of the exaggerated fear of massacres in Benghazi, and that's where I think we went overboard. To be fair, even Russia abstained from that resolution, so it pased and was legitimate, and I think using that to actually enforce the no fly zone and even to bomb troops that approached Benghazi would have been a proportionate response to his words and actions, and that could perhaps have reasonably led to a partition, de facto or otherwise, but I still think what we actually did was too much.

The benghazi intervention was before violent resistance had even meaningfully started, there wasn't a track record of Gadaffi retaking cities at that point. Once the US blew the poo poo out of the convoy and signalled further support, that was when major armed resistance meaningfully kicked off.

Gaddafi's legacy of dealing with opposition was locking them in torture prisons for literal decades. IIRC protesters broke into a couple of these prisons and freed a people who had been incarcerated indefinitely, which formed an early core of the resistance. A similar thing happened in Syria, albeit Assad was more pro-active about releasing the prisoners. Assad and Gaddafi really were using the same playbook, though Assad was a hundred times more in tune with western tolerances for brutality and the desire for some plausible deniability.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 3, 2018

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Sinteres posted:

The problem with that though is that another embarrassing stalemate (which essentially counts as a defeat) would be really really bad for Israel. Plus Putin might not be thrilled to see Hezbollah forced home to defend themselves in Lebanon while fighting continues in Syria. I think the real concern for Israel is probably trying to figure out what exactly they hope to accomplish though, because it's not like they can occupy southern Lebanon again. Do they just extend the mowing the grass strategy to Lebanon and plan on periodic conflict to degrade Hezbollah's capabilities forever? Peace would be better of course, but if they feel that war is inevitable it creates incentives to act even if doing so doesn't lead to great outcomes.

I read the Israeli press and their American supporters from time to time and it's clear that a lot of people are still super butt-hurt over the 2006 war (lol) and fancy a rematch, if for no other reason than to re-establish the trope of Israeli invincibility.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Interesting but how accurate is this? Should we generally trust polls coming from authoritarian states?

quote:

Asked why anyone should trust the answers, given the restrictive nature of the Iranian system, Ebrahim Mohseni, a research scholar at CISSM who designed the poll and who has been studying Iranian public opinion since 2006, defended his methodology. He told Al-Monitor that the latest findings were in line with previous surveys and that respondents select "quite a few responses that are far from the official positions of the Islamic Republic."

I'd give it a few more percentage points of error to be on the safe side, but al monitor is pretty reliable. Barbara Slavin is a bit of an ideologue, but there's quite a few findings in the article that don't fit her bent, so it seems pretty neutral to me. And it's a case by case basis. Some polls you can throw out before the results even come in.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Looks like Russia lost a jet earlier today. Here is some footage of the wreck.

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/959807906374963200

Reports are that the pilot survived.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Footage from the ground:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7G92t2MXBY

Mixed reports of the pilot being captured/executed/killed in the crash.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Looks like it could be MANPADS if this footage is to be believed

edit: better video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEmFbuPJAFk

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/959802233440358402

Radio Prune fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 3, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/959864063239966720

@AlArabiya_Eng posted:

President $Erdogan says #Turkish military operation in #Afrin about to end http://ara.tv/b2y26

Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 3, 2018

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

A big "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner over a handful of villages on the border.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

What did Erdogan actually say? It looks like that got reported a few hours ago but I'm not seeing any coverage of this anywhere besides Al Arabiya

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Looks like the tweet was deleted.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Looks like the tweet was deleted.

Back up, they just deleted because of the $ I guess. Still don't know if it's true though. gently caress it would be funny though.

e:

"http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-troops-getting-close-to-afrin-city-erdogan-126736%22 posted:

"We are advancing into Afrin [city center]. We are close."

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 3, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So if anyone was wondering what's happening in south Yemen, it seems likely the separatists and Hadi government are going to come to some kind of settlement. Although separatists still control most of Aden, the city has been quiet for the last several days while coalition troops are enforcing what's basically a ceasefire and protecting the Prime Minister's residence.

This crisis and the Houthi clashes with Saleh's organization are I believe a product of the enormous strain placed on Yemeni politics and society by the deprivations of war. Before the clashes in Aden it finally seemed the Saudi coalition was making progress. Besides losing some of Saleh's followers, the Houthi have also finally exhausted their reserves of foreign currency which means they are struggling to pay and supply their soldiers. As a result their moral and strength has weakened, and the coalition had made small advances on several fronts.

However it now seems unlikely that the coalition can maintain that momentum. Hadi aligned forces were withdrawn from the area near Taiz and Hodeideh to confront the separatists. It is unclear how long the standoff will continue or how much of the coalition's strength is being consumed by internal conflicts. Politics in Yemen is characterized by grand coalitions of competing interests, and Hadi, long based out of distant Riyadh, seems ill-suited to delicate balancing act required to keep the system functioning. Add in the omnipresent threat of Al Qaeda and IS and the internal threats to Hadi's rule look almost as great as that posed by the Houthi.

This war seems like it's less about who can beat the other on the battlefield and more about who collapses into such severe infighting that people start switching sides first.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 3, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This article came out today and now Egyptian state mouthpieces are scrambling to legitimize Sisi's anti-Israel cred.

https://twitter.com/3arabawy/status/959867965297524736?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

Israel has conducted 100 operations against insurgents in the Sinai over the past 2 years at the request of the Egyptian government.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Back up, they just deleted because of the $ I guess. Still don't know if it's true though. gently caress it would be funny though.

e:

lmao, I'm sorry, but I just can't stop drawing parallels to this and Serbia's poo poo during the 90s, or at least I suppose I'm hoping it's a repeat of history in this particular instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOxkyGh_bvs

"Samo hrabro slomljeni su definitivno" = "Just be brave, they are definitely broken"

Then a supposed 3-day siege becomes 3 months.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 3, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Russia seems to be bombing the gently caress out of Idlib in retaliation for losing a plane, and Turkey seems to be shelling the gently caress out of Afrin in retaliation for losing a tank and its crew today, so as usual it's a bad day to be a civilian in a war zone.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Confirmed, Russian pilot is dead, there's pictures and video:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/7uzwq6/photo_of_the_killed_russian_pilot/
Link shows a dead body, so click with care.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Saladin Rising posted:

Confirmed, Russian pilot is dead, there's pictures and video:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/7uzwq6/photo_of_the_killed_russian_pilot/
Link shows a dead body, so click with care.

thank goodness, for a second there I thought that fascist pilot got away. good on those rebels!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

e:

Wait, are they suggesting they achieved a total victory despite the fact all reports make it clear they have barely advanced at all?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Volkerball posted:

This article came out today and now Egyptian state mouthpieces are scrambling to legitimize Sisi's anti-Israel cred.

https://twitter.com/3arabawy/status/959867965297524736?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

Israel has conducted 100 operations against insurgents in the Sinai over the past 2 years at the request of the Egyptian government.

lol incredible, absolutely incredible, one of the biggest talking points of the egyptian fascists is that they are the only people who can make egypt 'safe' well it turns out they cant even secure anything, loool. Either ways I'm not surprised, the egyptian military regime is essentially an Israeli-gulf client state anyways.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 4, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

thank goodness, for a second there I thought that fascist pilot got away. good on those rebels!

Didn't you make a new years resolution or something to cut down on this sort of thing?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Radio Prune posted:

Looks like it could be MANPADS if this footage is to be believed

edit: better video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEmFbuPJAFk

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/959802233440358402
MANPAD imo is probably the worst anagram to come out of the military in some time. Makes it sound like planes are being brought down by Depends or Alex Jones' Tactical Taint Wipes.

quote:

Man-portable air-defense systems (MANPADS or MPADS) are shoulder-launched surface-to-air missiles (SLSAMs). They are typically guided weapons and are a threat to low-flying aircraft, especially helicopters.
I mean what was wrong with SLSAM really.

Sinteres posted:

Russia seems to be bombing the gently caress out of Idlib in retaliation for losing a plane, and Turkey seems to be shelling the gently caress out of Afrin in retaliation for losing a tank and its crew today, so as usual it's a bad day to be a civilian in a war zone.
:negative:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Didn't you make a new years resolution or something to cut down on this sort of thing?

Youre right, I forgot. Thanks!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

You're not supposed to kill ejecting pilots.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

You're not supposed to kill ejecting pilots.

I know you're not posting this in good faith, so me taking the bait is of course inherently foolish, but you're not supposed to bomb hospitals and bakeries (and then first responders!), either.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Again, Liberal affinity for hardline Sunni Islamists has always struck me as bizarre.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

Again, Liberal affinity for hardline Sunni Islamists has always struck me as bizarre.

I'm not remotely pro-jihadist, but after years of seeing countries fighting jihadists having the debate about whether or not advanced military powers have an obligation to abide by some level of lawful proportionality and generally not committing war crimes against an enemy that gleefully does so, it's still weird to me to see the argument reversed and for the jihadists to be held to a higher moral standard than one of the most powerful countries in the world. Of the crimes jihadists commit war crimes, but killing downed pilots who were just bombing them (and generally not taking great care to avoid civilians in the process) seems pretty reasonable in the context of the hellwar in Syria. We know the regime isn't exactly treating captured jihadists with kid gloves either.

I'm self aware enough to admit that I'd be more upset if this were an American pilot, but honestly the expectation that pilots can safely do whatever they want from the safety of their plane, but get to call time out the second the enemy manages to bring them down, seems like the kind of rules you'd only find agreement on when both sides have pilots. There was at least one report that the pilot in this instance was fighting back too, though obviously the way downed pilots had been treated in the past in this war would have informed his actions if that is the case.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's really not when you consider a half century of American liberal support for anti-communist Islamists.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So the Kurds blew up a tank?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

One operated by the Turkish military but technically it still counts.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lawman 0 posted:

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/959840479524409345

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
huh turns out the ottomans and russians are still militarily incompetent

we'll try again in 2118

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

With regards to Egypt, they are slowly getting assassinated by the Ethiopian govt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_8X8tbjqjg

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

Oh of course you would jump to that conclusion! You cannot even conceive of a world where all actions aren't solely judged based on the team colour of the involved parties. That explains your pig-headed support for the fascists throughout all iterations of this thread: You pick whichever side initially seems to be the most 'anti-imperialist' (which is always the one that nominally opposes America the most - Phew, moral behaviour is easy!) and are afterwards spared all further need to think about anyone's actions. Regime did something? Always good! Regime took a loss? Always bad!

It's no wonder that you automatically read an 'affinity for hardline Sunni Islamists' into a comment like mine. You have a completely black-and-white mind.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

HorrificExistence posted:

huh turns out the ottomans and russians are still militarily incompetent

we'll try again in 2118

Wow, what a good post. How is losing a tank or a jet indicative of incompetence? The Russians have proven themselves to be at least competent since the first Chechen war, and that was after/during the complete collapse of their country. Turks are perhaps incompetent, but losing a tank to a weapon designed to kill tanks hardly shows it. I think if Turkey seriously committed its ground forces en mass it wouldn’t be going nearly as slowly in Afrin.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jesus they hit its magazine or what?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

One of the paradoxes of asymmetrical warfare is that if your intervention is premised on propaganda of the enemy as a weak and scattered "terrorist" peasant rabble, then it becomes a shocking upset any time they act like a normal army. If you pretend an invasion is just "moving the grass," then it's a a big surprise to see grass fight back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Jesus they hit its magazine or what?

Its far away so hard to tell where it got hit, but it didn't seem to brew up at all, it just blew the gently caress up- so I would say yeah, catastrophic hit to the main magazine turned it into a massive bomb.

People would be finding bits of that tank for hundreds of years from now, if, y'know, it wasnt gonna be largely inhospitable to human life in a few decades