Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

meat police posted:

Why not all 3?

:qq: "B-b-b-but the company is only worth a dollar!" he'll be saying to the judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
As soon as the other owners realize they might be complicit in fraud, I’m sure that verbal gentleman’s agreement is going to stay rock solid.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

IDON'T

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That really is one of my favorite acronyms for precisely that reason.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Judges definitely don't like people being shady and will drop the hammer on them when they find out.

http://www.metnews.com/articles/ross0625.htm?hc_location=ufi

quote:

A woman who kept $1.3 million in lottery winnings secret from her estranged husband to avoid having to give him half in their divorce settlement will now have to turn over the whole pot to him, this district’s Court of Appeal ruled Friday.

Denise Rossi must give up her entire lottery share under a Family Code statute that penalizes spouses for falsifying data about their property.

In upholding an order by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Richard E. Denner, the appeals panel rejected Rossi’s assertion that her winnings were actually a gift of separate property from her co-worker, who headed a lottery pool that hit the jackpot in December 1996.

Rossi, also known as Denise De Rossi, claimed she paid $5 a week into the pool along with other workplace colleagues, but that she pulled out just before her group won $6.68 million. Instead of being entitled to a community property cut of the pot, she said, she really was given only a separate property gift by her co-workers who had so recently played the lottery with her.

Justice Norman Epstein of Div. Four agreed with Denner that the argument was not credible. He noted that Rossi filed for divorce less than a month after her group won the lottery, she consulted with the state lottery commission on how she could keep her husband from getting his hands on the prize, she used her mother’s address for annual checks and other correspondence from lottery officials so her husband wouldn’t know about it, and she never did tell her husband about her jackpot.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
UPRUDE

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So in Groundhog Day, Phil Connors finally lives out the perfect day, and near the end of it, Rita runs into Ned Ryerson, who gleefully mentions that Phil bought every single BS life insurance policy he was hocking (as he no doubt was doing many days to make Ned happy - who cares, he's gonna reset anyway right?). But then of course he doesn't reset that day, so he's stuck with those mountains of policies. BWM.

Unclear if he went through with the bank heist on this day.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Is it just me or is crypto insurance a dumb idea?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN1FL406

How does this make any sense at all? What's to keep someone from buying an insurance policy on their bitcoin wallet, moving the coins into a new wallet, and claiming a theft?

quote:

Annual premiums for $10 million in theft coverage would typically run at about $200,000, or 2 percent of the limit, insurance experts say. That compares with about 1 percent or less for traditional financial clients, depending on the company, loss history and other factors.

Currency volatility is another concern. While coverage limits shield insurers from wild swings, the impact for clients can be dramatic. For example, a $10 million policy signed in January 2017 would cover 10,957 bitcoins at the time, but only 923 if a hack happened a year later.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Elysium posted:

So in Groundhog Day, Phil Connors finally lives out the perfect day, and near the end of it, Rita runs into Ned Ryerson, who gleefully mentions that Phil bought every single BS life insurance policy he was hocking (as he no doubt was doing many days to make Ned happy - who cares, he's gonna reset anyway right?). But then of course he doesn't reset that day, so he's stuck with those mountains of policies. BWM.

he has infinite skill in every single skill that can be learned in a sleepy little town

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tomfoolery posted:

How does this make any sense at all? What's to keep someone from buying an insurance policy on their bitcoin wallet, moving the coins into a new wallet, and claiming a theft?

prolly work if they sat down, thought a little, and jacked the premiums up to 45% and carefully monitored peeps to make sure they weren't doing that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Elysium posted:

Very good with money because the day after Groundhog Day, the thousand years Phil Connors spent in limbo immediately catches up with him and his heirs are filthy rich.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tomfoolery posted:

Isn't every transaction public?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tomfoolery posted:

I assume this would require either require keeping bitcoins in an approved exchange (which would be also risky). Otherwise they may feel comfortable enough to investigate fraud. The same thing applies to insuring a piece of art or jewelry: What is to stop you from faking a burglary? The answer is you have to be smarter than the investigators and you're probably not.

Or the insurance is just another scam. It's all scams all the way down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There are already exchanges that hold and insure wallets.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I can't believe nobody's linked the zaurg thread in here since, uhh...

zaurg posted:

I put $3113 USD into cryptocurrency gambling, all via credit card. I started with $250 and originally planned on just doing $250 a month over the course of 4 months for a total of a $1k gamble, but it fairly quickly turned into $3113. At one point I was up (on paper) a good %. This morning during the lowest point I dipped into the negatives.

My current credit card balances are:
card1 - $2700 @ 0.99% (for next 9 months, then changes to 13.49%. This was the balance transfer from card2)
card1 - $600 @ 13.49%
card2 - $2366 @ 16.49%

Wish I hadn't f'd up this thread with this poop. At this point I just hope the market climbs back up in the next couple months and I can cash out half or something and fix the credit card situation.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The best part was that he flat out lied to the thread about his actual financial status for months (IIRC he proudly posted about coming in like $6 under his budget for January) before dropping the bomb that well, actually, he’s been quietly financing thousands of dollars in buttcoin via high-interest credit cards while literally telling his preschool age daughter that she couldn’t have $3 pizza at school once per week because money was too tight and daddy was on a budget.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Known Lecher posted:

he’s been quietly financing thousands of dollars in buttcoin via high-interest credit cards while literally telling his preschool age daughter that she couldn’t have $3 pizza at school once per week because money was too tight and daddy was on a budget.

This is the part that’s :smith: for me. He doesn’t seem to realize how terrible and unfair this is for his kids.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Yeah, maybe I should have put “best” in scare quotes like that. It’s frustrating because he seems to realize buttcoin was a dumb move in a vacuum but can’t extrapolate that how it’s real-world affecting his family.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
No I get what you meant. Honestly I’m playing a scenario in my head where my four year old tells me he wants to get a fun meal with his friend and I have to say no because I spent all the money on buying options and it makes my heart hurt. I don’t know how he can not realize what he’s doing or deal with that.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Spokes posted:

Ain't this the truth. Even with the Blizzard Overwatch League finally guaranteeing a minimum salary (this year. of $50k. for people living in LA.) people are still spending the primes of their lives clicking a shoot button on a computer screen and not picking up any transferable skills. And this is the dream, to say nothing of people playing 20 hours a day trying to break through and GET to the pros. And then the 0.05% of them that do will be tossed on the street for some 17 year old in a few years once their reaction times start to slip past 100ms

And this is to say nothing of literal scams or underhanded management, both of which are only getting worse as more money pours into the industry.

I'm glad i'm already old and lovely at video games or i would have absolutely gotten suckered into this, to be completely honest. There's a real feeling of "Hey, I grew up playing video games when they weren't cool, I deserve to be paid for it now, other people are doing it!" that leads to some pretty insanely BWM mindsets

Agreed that the ones who don’t make it are super loving sad stories.

Small point:

The 50k is to make them accountable to the league and teams and for appearances of making Esports legitimate. The top players make all their money from streaming and content sponsorships. They could make 50k in a few days streaming sponsored content. I know. I paid them. There's more than one League of Legends player who would be taking a paycut if they went "pro" and that took away from their regular streaming time.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 3, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

I can't believe nobody's linked the zaurg thread in here since, uhh...
I don't really follow it but I checked out the last two pages and holy poo poo: zaurg

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Subjunctive posted:

There are already exchanges that hold and insure wallets.

Which ones?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought Zuarg's problem was his horrible wife but now that he divorced (?) I guess it was Zuarg all along.

FFS, rack up high interest CC debt so your kid can be happy, not so you can play digital craps.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 3, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
loving zuarg.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

That thread reads like Ken M but with money. Is there any proof that he's for real?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BigDave posted:

So the Dow Jones took a dump, dropped 665 points. S&P 500 dropped 59.

Getting spooked and fireselling your 401k balance on Monday: BWM.

Hey now, you can at least round that up to 666.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Moneyball posted:

loving zuarg.

If you consult with Moana you can probably build enough of a case to permaban the stupid fucker.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

UnfurledSails posted:

That thread reads like Ken M but with money. Is there any proof that he's for real?

Personal finance is boring, so you have to invent crazy new 'hey guys, loooook what I did!~ :haw:' things every so often, to make sure everyone remembers to quote you and tickle your belly online

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Doesn't even matter if zaurg isn't real, he's a cautionary tale and there are a million real zaurglikes out there anyway. Just like blue story, the fun is in the journey, but the reality.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FrozenVent posted:

Which ones?

Coinbase for one.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

In on of the old warhams threads there was a story about a guy who would go crazy over every new army release and inevitably buy more than he could afford, and then inevitably be back in a couple months trying to sell it to other players or trade it in to the store so he could get the next thing.

It turned depressing when he sold off one force to buy new stuff, and was then happy he somehow came out ahead enough that he could buy some juice for his kid. :smith:

zaurg is somehow worse than that guy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

UnfurledSails posted:

I dunno about irrefutable proof, but if he’s not real then this a troll going on a decade and maintaining an elaborate and fascinating fiction, with the end goal of annoying maybe 200 people.

I think he’s real, as news headlines this week we’re about Slenderman, we lost a mod at Bengahzi, and the newspaper I saved from my wedding day had Caro on the front page. So weirder stuff has been confirmed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just like blue story...

Banned, so fuckin banned

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Banned, so fuckin banned

You don't get to comment on blue story.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
None of us do! It's a BFC Rule for some reason.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Enjoy your 6 hour

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Subjunctive posted:

Coinbase for one.

Let I checked Coinbase only insures the usd balance.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Moneyball posted:

Enjoy your 6 hour

I did not know that was a rule now. My first prob in 15 years!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ryde posted:

Let I checked Coinbase only insures the usd balance.

this

btc insurance would work. you would just have to jack up premiums like.... 1000%, or 4000%, not 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Moneyball posted:

loving zuarg.

Ban this piece of poo poo. I saw him circling around the crypto thread and told him to get the gently caress out, he promised not to buy any.

He's forums cancer.