Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i have not played this game for like two years

time to start a hardcore mode save and see what is new since then. i know the lost river was not there last time i played, so should be fun~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I basically just made a troll time capsule - an ion battery, two pieces of lead, one copper and a fish. Along with a message that read something random like "You'll need all this later, but don't forget to bring two of the red ones as well".

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just started playing this, after only playing it ~2 years ago during Early Access. I didn't realize time capsules are from other players. In that case, I have to thank whoever left me a full complement of Seamoth upgrades right next to pod 19, you just saved me the 45 minutes of scouring for resources I was about to do.

I got really worried during some of those early release updates, but everything in the game feels about the same difficulty or easier. And solar panels are actually good now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

Pipes, man. Pipes. Gets you much deeper.

Also yeah, silver can be real annoying to get. Once you get going, you can build a scan room for Sandstone and that'll speed it up a lot.

There are a number of specifc clusters of sandstone placed in caves in the shallows and creepvine forests. They're a reward for cave diving and navigating hazards.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My first time capsule contained a single useless seed.

Joke's on you, time capsule guy, I planted it anyway.

tjones
May 13, 2005
All of these capsules are still better than the first one I found filled with potato chips, weird fish fanfic, and a picture of a bone shark in a dress.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just managed to build the HUD chip with the one piece of magnetite I found in the Jellyshroom cave and holy balls does that make my life so much easier. Time to start building some remote sensor bases.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Where is the beacon plans? I can’t believe how hard of a time I’m having finding plan pieces.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Invalid Validation posted:

Where is the beacon plans? I can’t believe how hard of a time I’m having finding plan pieces.

Can spawn p much everywhere in the Safe Shallows, can be hard to spot tho due to small size. Looks like a broken beacon.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Invalid Validation posted:

Look at wrecks in or about your start point. Some shallow wrecks have 2-3 beacons outside of them. I took me 15+ hours to find them...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

I put a full set of tools (repair tool, flashlight, laser cutter, etc.) into my time capsule. I hope they make someone's life easier :3:

I think I found one of those, but I already had pretty much everything but the spicy knife by the time I found it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

I didn't come across it in game, but someone on Reddit submitted one that includes the PDA quote about adopting a pet, and a picture of the Cuddlefish

the capsule has a Mesmer in it

:lol: pure evil

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

tjones posted:

All of these capsules are still better than the first one I found filled with potato chips, weird fish fanfic, and a picture of a bone shark in a dress.

That actually rules

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Re: beacons, there is a wreck near a big thermal vent in safe shallows (near a creepvine area too) that has a bunch of them inside to scan. It has an openable door and I think a repairable panel for another door too. Didn’t need the laser cutter, I know that.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Do Ghost Leviathans, Crabsquids, or Reapers respawn if you manage to goop them with your drill arm? I made a base in the thermals in the Grand Reef and this Ghost Leviathan just sits outside of it and rams my Seamoth whenever I enter or exit it. More of a nuisance than a threat, really, but I still want him dead. It’s strange how terrified I used to be of Ghost Leviathans/Reapers/et al and then after a few attacks I realized they aren’t really anything major. Now they are a nuisance that I just try to avoid, and if they attack its not the end of the world.

Warpers are the real bastards.

I also just got to the ILZ last night. I’m playing with filmic filter and could barely see anything. People who have brought their Cyclops in there: did the Sea Emperor give you any trouble? All the warpers were loving my poo poo up last night in my Prawn to the point where I almost died several times, and I really don’t want to go back there without a Cyclops or something quicker than the Prawn to maneuver around with. I grabbed my Kyratite and bailed as soon as I could. It’s weird knowing that I am probably nearing the end of the game even though I haven’t set foot in probably 40% of the map yet.

Are the torpedoes worth getting? I assumed they were just ways to get Sandsharks and smaller fish to leave you alone, but if they are fatal and work against Crabsquids I’m about to start a freaking torpedo factory in my base.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

built my cyclops and I feel like Poseidon. Any way to make it self sufficient food and water wise? Can I put in a water filter, alien containment and stuff? What about another power reactor?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Can I put in a water filter, alien containment and stuff? What about another power reactor?

No, nothing that requires a multipurpose room will work.

You can build pots and growbeds to raise Marblemelons and such.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

built my cyclops and I feel like Poseidon. Any way to make it self sufficient food and water wise? Can I put in a water filter, alien containment and stuff? What about another power reactor?

You can grow plants inside and there is an upgrade that let you recharge the power cells in hot water (but require late game ressources).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Growbeds for plants and eventually the thermal reactor upgrade to recharge the power cells in warm water is the best you can get for self-sufficiency. Which is quite a long way, to be honest.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

tjones posted:

I'll fess up, that's my fault. Gf was a tester of the game and asked me to write bad fan fiction for one.

It was surprisingly hard to write it under 1000 characters... so much so there was 2 more ' chapters' worth. So...Uh... my bad

Though researching for it made me buy the game and I'm loving it. Having the thermal power generation for the Cyclops is a godsend in the lower depths. That and the force field.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

nullEntityRNG posted:

I'll fess up, that's my fault. Gf was a tester of the game and asked me to write bad fan fiction for one.

It was surprisingly hard to write it under 1000 characters... so much so there was 2 more ' chapters' worth. So...Uh... my bad

Though researching for it made me buy the game and I'm loving it. Having the thermal power generation for the Cyclops is a godsend in the lower depths. That and the force field.

Post the fanfic you puss :q:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Dongattack posted:

Post the fanfic you puss :q:

Yeah sure. I was planning to make it 3 capsules instead of one before the what you saw in the capsule. But here enjoy me attempting lovely writing.

My bad decisions posted:

CHAPTER 29: THE FATED DAY

It was a bright morning as I adjusted my black silky hair out of my eyes. "Another day another ocean" I sighed, adjusting my brand new reinforced diving suit. It was easy doing it by hand not too hard for someone like me. (I know it requires a fabricator but shutup it's my fic XD). Suddenly there was a tap on my door. I opened it. It was bone-chan. She was eating her favorite peeper-snacks. She was crossing her arms. "Finally you answered dum-kun" she huffed. I hated that nickname she gave me. "I'm sorry, I just heard you" "yeah whatever. Come on we need to go to the underwater island before school starts ."

As we were dashing to school which was like normal school but partially underwater and cool, bone-chan slipped and fell on the ground. Instantly I put out my hand only for her to bat it away. "I don't need your help, dum-kun" she said.

I shrugged. Bone-Chan was always so rude and jerkish to me- but that’s fine. Somehow I knew today would be different, as the wind swept up my raven hair.

CHAPTER 30: THE ENCOUNTER

School was boring and it was lunch. I was sitting with my pals Warper-Chan and crash-domo until bone chan sat with us. She had a plate filled with more of the peeper snacks. "Hey maybe you should cut back on the snacks " Warper -Chan said.
"How about mind your business, germaphobe" "hey now" I said "somebody us are worried about you bone-chan. Especially me."
She got up and left. "Why are you so nice to her" crash-domo asked
"I dunno... she just seems like she needs it"
“That’s silly, she’s always been a jerk to all of us”
“I know”
I shrugged again, taking a bite out of my Nutrient Block- terrible as always- like sawdust. “But ya know guys, I think shes that way because she’s been hurt by alot, ya know?”
Warper-chan shook his head, conjuring an image of a peeper-snack (he got that power-alright!?!!), “All she wants are her snacks-and if you’re in her way, you’re dead.”
I shrugged again. “Maybe...” I sighed, gazing over to the window, “But maybe...”

These would have the respective: (You can't help but wonder who would write something so poorly- did being stranded on this planet affect them?) and (Although dripping with literary genius, you decide it's best to stop reading)

I'm so sorry, I'm a monster

Edit: I should note, I knew nothing about this game until I did this thing.

nullEntityRNG fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 3, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Freakin Bone-Chan.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Lmao that's so good, I'll have to come up with something good for mine

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

xiw posted:

What a great game. Sound design when scraping the cyclops through narrow gaps and when monsters are beating on it was great.

I recommend having your cyclops blown up and reloading just because it's super cool.

Oh my god the cyclops radar makes everything underground a million times easier. Can't believe I crawled my way all the way down to the 1300m shaft without it - the second trip was muuuuch easier.

Also never saw magnetite until after I'd picked up some kyanite - I just never happened to explore past the mountain so I had a huge tech bonanza after my first deep road trip.

I would love a space game with the cyclops damage model of this game. Super tense to crawl all over it repairing damage.

What else is out there like this? The handcrafted map is so great compared to procedural stuff for a change.

A few minutes playing with the Cyclops and I was already also thinking that someone needs to make a spaceship game with similar mechanics.

edit: I would love it if I could pick a custom music track to play when I hit the engine power switch on the Cyclops

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was puttering along and saw a time capsule and was like what’s that, so I scanned it but didn’t think to pick it up :doh:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't know if they nerfed it but a single pot with a Lantern Tree in your cyclops was more than enough to fulfill your food and water needs during early access.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Away all Goats posted:

I don't know if they nerfed it but a single pot with a Lantern Tree in your cyclops was more than enough to fulfill your food and water needs during early access.

Yeah, they nerfed that. Plant a bed of Marble Melons instead for all your food & water needs. Lantern Trees are pretty tho, so i planet a few of them in my Cyclops anyway.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Lantern trees are still my go-to for water. I eat the 3 melons, 4 potato and 8 or 10 lantern fruit and I'm completely set. I haven't thrown up horribly or whatever that pre-1.0 nerf was yet, but I'm also not pushing it too hard either.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Hmm, i just eat 4 melons and i'm at like 90+ on everything. Maybe there's been a patch since release.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm not in game but I'm pretty sure melons only give +3ish water.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bhodi posted:

I'm not in game but I'm pretty sure melons only give +3ish water.

No melons give about 10, lantern fruit are what give 3.

I find bulbo trees actually easier for bases cos you can just cut them a bunch and they give a lot more food/water per tree than 4 melons do. Less fiddly than melons also with being bigger. Lantern fruit are OK for food at +10 each but they have virtually no water content while bulbo trees are very good for water.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Is there a way to deal with getting stuck outside the level geometry? In the tunnel of the prawn bay of the Aurora it shoved me out of bounds and now I'm in a weird state where I'm trapped in the space between the Aurora interior and the outside.

\/\/\/ Thanks. warpforward 2 put me back in the level and achievements worked after saving and restarting.

Microcline fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 3, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Microcline posted:

Is there a way to deal with getting stuck outside the level geometry? In the tunnel of the prawn bay of the Aurora it shoved me out of bounds and now I'm in a weird state where I'm trapped in the space between the Aurora interior and the outside.

Yeah there are multiple ways via the debug console:
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_Console_Commands

"warpme" will probably be the best bet, takes you to your last "base".

Edit: Remember to save after tho, fully exit the game, start it up again and reload your save to re-enable achivements.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 3, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OwlFancier posted:

No melons give about 10, lantern fruit are what give 3.

I find bulbo trees actually easier for bases cos you can just cut them a bunch and they give a lot more food/water per tree than 4 melons do. Less fiddly than melons also with being bigger. Lantern fruit are OK for food at +10 each but they have virtually no water content while bulbo trees are very good for water.

A lantern tree with a stillsuit comes very close to meeting all your needs.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
A tank full of reginalds gives you all the food and base power you need. It's easy to salt a couple reginalds for long trips and not have to worry about running back somewhere for food while clearing out wrecks. They can also give water via water filtration if you set it and forget it while out exploring. Sitting in base and grabbing the water too frequently will bottom out a single bio-reactor though, even with 1000s of energy of reginalds in the juicer.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The first time capsule I found contained six ion power cells and I had no idea what they were or what they were for so I put them in storage and when I made the Cyclops I was like ooooooooh.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Man I wish I could kill things. Or at least get them to gently caress off for more than 5 seconds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s a shame I kill way more nice fish just by accidentally plowing through them with my Seamoth than killing actual rear end in a top hat predators. gently caress the Bleeder forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005

uXs posted:

Man I wish I could kill things. Or at least get them to gently caress off for more than 5 seconds.

Take an upgraded repulsion cannon with you. It works well except for in caves.