Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey so it looks like keyboard issues have been discussed a bit the last few pages, but just one extra question I didn't see.

I have a 2016 MBP 13" that I bought in late Feb last year, so just under a year right now.

Maybe two weeks ago I had my laptop in my backpack in the cold for a while, then when I took it out and started using it, the spacebar would act like I hit it twice for every time I hit it once for about the first ten minutes of usage, but it went away and hasn't replicated itself since. A few days ago, the "C" was hard to press down, but now it's fine.

I don't have applecare, but I think these have a one year limited warranty correct (edit: it does, through February 19)? However, do you think Apple will even do anything if they can't replicate the issue in-store? Also, it looks like I can buy applecare still since I'm within their one-year window, but they want me to schedule a call to do it. Any idea how much this is (edit: it's $269 apparently) and if it would be worth purchasing at this point? The keyboard is literally the only problem I've experienced so far, and it just started happening, and I'm not rough with my equipment at all or have a habit of dropping/breaking things.

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Follow the cleaning instructions from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nwin posted:

Hey so it looks like keyboard issues have been discussed a bit the last few pages, but just one extra question I didn't see.

I have a 2016 MBP 13" that I bought in late Feb last year, so just under a year right now.

Maybe two weeks ago I had my laptop in my backpack in the cold for a while, then when I took it out and started using it, the spacebar would act like I hit it twice for every time I hit it once for about the first ten minutes of usage, but it went away and hasn't replicated itself since. A few days ago, the "C" was hard to press down, but now it's fine.

Why did you let any dust near your Macbook keyboard?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Me and my MacBook in my posting station

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
The keyboard dust issue is so over blown. I'm not careful with my laptop at all (it's been covered in erased math homework dust, tossed raw dog in my backpack every single day and used at school) and it's been clacking along perfectly for a year now. I do hate the touch bar and arrow keys but the dust problem feels like fake news.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I pooped directly on the keyboard of my macbook, didn't even clean it off, still works perfectly.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I just blow the poop off like I would any other device.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Just when you thought you’d seen it all from hipsters…

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

rally posted:

The keyboard dust issue is so over blown.
Actually you are trying to blow air *under* the key cap

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rally posted:

The keyboard dust issue is so over blown. I'm not careful with my laptop at all (it's been covered in erased math homework dust, tossed raw dog in my backpack every single day and used at school) and it's been clacking along perfectly for a year now. I do hate the touch bar and arrow keys but the dust problem feels like fake news.

The keyboard is a fragile piece of poo poo. I have never used another keyboard that doesn't work when it's cold.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

The keyboard is a fragile piece of poo poo. I have never used another keyboard that doesn't work when it's cold.

meticulously refined for greater comfort and responsiveness

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Where's a good forum to find used macs? Sa-mart and [h] are dried up

I have a MBP 13” I need to get rid of. PM me?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone notice the iMac Pro has loving RAID 0 SSDs? LOL

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The SSDs are proprietary and paired to the logic board so good luck replacing them without Apple

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Good security feature!

Also, someone gave me an xserve today. Holy poo poo it's awesome and giant.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

pzy posted:

Good security feature!

lucky

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

pzy posted:

Good security feature!

How melted is it ?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Agreed 100%

I generally loathe mfg defect bandwagon bullshit, it's mostly false; but I take meticulous care of my laptop (the laptop thread has photos of my hand-sewn flannel-lined laptop sleeve) and I still have every laptop I've ever owned, including my 2001 era rev B PowerBook G4 which still boots on the original battery.

The keyboard is an over-engineered piece of poo poo with a too-fragile, too tight tolerance mechanism.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

The Milkman posted:

How melted is it ?

Are they prone to... melting?!

This one is in pristine condition, not sure it's ever been deployed. Booted right up into the OS X Server 10.5 setup screen.

Thanks, sketchy russian website, for your working OS X Server serial number!

Unfortunately it's just a single Xeon with 3 GB RAM, not one of the dual-processor beasts. Still will be fun to play around with!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

redeyes posted:

Anyone notice the iMac Pro has loving RAID 0 SSDs? LOL

It doesn’t. The ifixit tear down revealed that the two modules are just carrier boards for flash chips, not complete SSDs. They connect to a single SSD controller integrated into the Apple T2 chip on the motherboard, so logically speaking it is a single SSD.

Apple probably did it this way to avoid too many motherboard variants. They have to build two versions because the GPU is soldered down, and they give you a choice of two GPUs. If they also had to support three different SSD sizes and the flash memory was soldered to the motherboard, they’d need to make six motherboard versions. So they put the flash chips on modules. Dunno why they chose two small modules instead of one large, but it adds up to the same number of flash memory chips in the end.

This also explains why apparently, if you remove the modules and reinstall, they absolutely must go back into their original slots. Reversing them would completely screw up the layout of the SSD controller’s flash translation layer data structures.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What did people normally use the xserves for? Like was there a specific need for the Apple hardware or what?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They had some Mac specific raid array... Xstorage, i think it was called. If you had a newsroom that used final cut pro and you wanted fiber speed storage back in... 2004? The xserve was a Mac friendly network file share. Otherwise, generally you had to use SAMBA 1.X which was utter garbage and a pain to use (SAMBA 2.X was a huge step up)... File sharing anything with a Mac before about 2005 was a huge disaster, and (I guess) buying an apple specific server and industrial grade storage solution seemed like a better option than slogging through network file sharing back in the dark ages where you had to drag your HD video uphill... Both ways... In the snow

And then network file storage got less "kill me now" and more mainstream.

Wow I completely forgot what a pain in the rear end that is. I remember back in 10.1 and 10.2 command + K from the finder would launch the mount network disk utility. What a goddamn cryptic pain in the rear end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Social Animal posted:

What did people normally use the xserves for? Like was there a specific need for the Apple hardware or what?

I used to work at an Apple store a decade ago and the Xserve was used solely to stream the music that plays in the store. The music was determined at Apple HQ and the stores had no control over it except the volume.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
WTF is going on with my 15" Mid-2014 MBP's battery? I literally just replaced it with one from ifixit, but it depletes crazy fast, even if the machine is just sitting closed.

Right now, according to Activity Monitor:
Time on battery: 36:33
Charge 36%
It also thinks I have 1:26 left, which seems optimistic given performance so far.

Coconut Battery shows the battery status as good, 11 cycles and a full charge capacity of 8342 mAh.

I closed it about an hour ago with nothing running except Firefox(with no actual windows up) and it shows nothing using significant energy. Thoughts?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Close everything, run it idle and see if it makes a difference. If so, your softwares hosed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

WTF is going on with my 15" Mid-2014 MBP's battery? I literally just replaced it with one from ifixit, but it depletes crazy fast, even if the machine is just sitting closed.

Right now, according to Activity Monitor:
Time on battery: 36:33
Charge 36%
It also thinks I have 1:26 left, which seems optimistic given performance so far.

Coconut Battery shows the battery status as good, 11 cycles and a full charge capacity of 8342 mAh.

I closed it about an hour ago with nothing running except Firefox(with no actual windows up) and it shows nothing using significant energy. Thoughts?

When I replaced my apple battery with a nupower one, all the estimates of power and time left became really inaccurate. I have a 2011 macbook pro, and all the indicators would say that a full charge would last 2-3 hours with the antenna on, but in practice I get about an hour to an hour and a half more than that with the indicator stuck at 5%. If it's not dangerous, try running it all the way down and see how long it lasts. Your case sounds more extreme, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Reset the SMC and wait a day.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I can just throw normal Mac os (up to 10.11) on my xeon xserve, right? For some reason I was stuck in the mindset of having to find 10.7 Server

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Do you think Apple will release quad core 13" MBPs this summer? I saw that Intel released ultra-low-voltage quad processors and Dell released a XPS 13 with it. I don't need a discrete card anymore and switching from 15" -> 13" sounds really tempting since I dock my MBP most of the time when I need the screen real estate.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 3, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The probability of Apple doing something is inversely proportional to the probability of a randomly sampled Apple fan wanting that something done, divided by the coefficient of industry pressure.

By desiring it and someone else doing it, you have made it less likely. It is law.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

Do you think Apple will release quad core 13" MBPs this summer?
Maybe in the $2,000 SKU as a late-2018 model, but who the hell knows?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rabid Snake posted:

Do you think Apple will release quad core 13" MBPs this summer? I saw that Intel released ultra-low-voltage quad processors and Dell released a XPS 13 with it. I don't need a discrete card anymore and switching from 15" -> 13" sounds really tempting since I dock my MBP most of the time when I need the screen real estate.

I would be posed if they do that and then only the touchbar 13" gets the quad core

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Social Animal posted:

They tried to sell it as "the unix server that doesn't require an expensive systems administrator to manage" and tried to sell against Dell/Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Two problems: if you can't afford a systems administrator you have your IT outsourced and thus don't need a physical server, and if you're buying a rackmount server, you probably already have a server and buying another one that is completely foreign to your existing IT and management tools would be stupid.

In reality, xserves were bought by mac software development shops to sit in a rack and quietly compile nightlies. They were also used in mac shops to run NetInstall volumes and centralized Time Machine. Problem is that centralized Time Machine was garbage and never worked quite right so everyone wound up just using a different backup solution anyway.

Xserve was the poster child for Apple deciding to develop a product that they think solves a problem in complete secrecy, and never asking the people who have that problem how they would like it fixed. An official set of rackmount ears for a 19" tall cheesegrater G5 or Mac Pro would have sold more than the xserve.

Edit: Ironically, given how much of apple's business is the iOS app store and the toolchain for the iOS app store only runs on macOS, devs are now desperately wanting an xserve equivalent to run automated Xcode builds so their toolchain and source code doesn't get contaminated by a developer running Xcode from an internet-exposed macbook pro. Case in point: Panic Software.

xarph fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 3, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

pzy posted:

I can just throw normal Mac os (up to 10.11) on my xeon xserve, right? For some reason I was stuck in the mindset of having to find 10.7 Server

Depends, if it's an Xserve 2007-2008 tops is 10.7.5, if it's a 2009 you can only go up to 10.11.6.

If you want to resort to trickery, maybe with mods 10.12, doubt anyone has bothered with modding High Sierra since it will likely flash firmware onto your Mac that will screw the pooch..

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

Reset the SMC and wait a day.

Derp, having Automatic Graphics Switching unchecked might have had something to do with it. Although I can't see how that would crush the battery with the lid closed. I also reset the SMC, shut the lid @ 100%, came back 2 hours later, 100%. Maybe that was it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Binary Badger posted:

Depends, if it's an Xserve 2007-2008 tops is 10.7.5, if it's a 2009 you can only go up to 10.11.6.

If you want to resort to trickery, maybe with mods 10.12, doubt anyone has bothered with modding High Sierra since it will likely flash firmware onto your Mac that will screw the pooch..

You can run 10.12 on a 2009, it's been confirmed (with the same El Capitan plist hack) but no one's tried it with High Sierra as far as I know. You also get real hosed up if you don't prepare for software updates to preload the plist, so beware.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You know what's hilarious, Apple still lists Airport Extreme / Express as options whenever you configure a new system to purchase on their online store.

Since Apple didn't bother with anything faster wireless even in the new iMac Pro (still 802.11ac) guess Apple figures 'lets git 'em gone' until one day, hey no more Airport.

They didn't get as much blowback over Airport as they did the monitors; I get the impression from the interviews with Phil Schiller a few months back that people were super pissed over not being able to buy an Apple branded monitor.

Much more pissed than killing their wireless product, which many people just get with their cable/FIOS.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 6, 2018

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I wouldn’t be upset about the lack of an Apple monitor if I could buy another brand with as good of a display and isn’t an ugly plastic piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

PRADA SLUT posted:

I wouldn’t be upset about the lack of an Apple monitor if I could buy another brand with as good of a display and isn’t an ugly plastic piece of poo poo.

The LG 5K is expensive but pretty great once you have it.