Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

double nine posted:

If I ever do a single world conquest (I won't) it'll be a three mountains wc. Then never again. But that probably won't happen in any event so who cares.

I've conquered Europe several times and each time it's already boring before you're half-way done. Doing something similar on a global scale sounds beyond tedious.
Yeah I am trying to convince myself to go for 1001 with my current Ottomans run; I doubt that I will ever try a WC. I think I'm doing alright in 1539:
Fezzan and Haasa are my allies; Crimea and Hisn Kayfa are marches; Hisn is Shaf'i so keeping them around gives me someone making better use of those Kurdish and Armenian provinces while also providing me with an extra Merchant for the rest of eternity.

I am about to attack Austria because history compels me to. Then I'll be jumping the Mamluks for more of Egypt. I already took Malta and got rid of those pesky Knights :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How does Poland get out of elective monarchy?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lawman 0 posted:

There should be an event around 1600 where you can choose to start a civil war against the Sejm basically.

It used to end with you becoming an absolute monarchy but since that is gone I guess you turn into an administrative monarchy instead?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

There should be an event around 1600 where you can choose to start a civil war against the Sejm basically.

It used to end with you becoming an absolute monarchy but since that is gone I guess you turn into an administrative monarchy instead?

Is it a disaster?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Is it a disaster?

No, event that fires very shortly after 1600

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't disagree that mesoamerica isn't represented very well in EU4, but this stuff in your link is from centuries before the game's start date. The Mayan empire was long dead by 1444.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I forget how this minutia of Trade Mechanics works - if I have Provincial Trade Power in a node, but do not have a merchant directing said Trade Power to be used for collecting or directing trade, what happens to it IF I have a subject using a merchant to direct trade? Does my power go towards theirs or anything?
I ask because I am trying to figure out if I should plan on drawing my Pretty Borders one way or another; if my vassal should own Shirvan or I should. Hisn Kayfa's capital is in the Aleppo node and is using a merchant to pull value from Persia, where Shirvan is; I'm then pulling the vast majority of trade from Aleppo to Constantinople. I will never have enough merchants to plug one into the Persia node to direct my power to moving the value upstream.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I am trying to convince myself to go for 1001 with my current Ottomans run; I doubt that I will ever try a WC. I think I'm doing alright in 1539:
Fezzan and Haasa are my allies; Crimea and Hisn Kayfa are marches; Hisn is Shaf'i so keeping them around gives me someone making better use of those Kurdish and Armenian provinces while also providing me with an extra Merchant for the rest of eternity.

I am about to attack Austria because history compels me to. Then I'll be jumping the Mamluks for more of Egypt. I already took Malta and got rid of those pesky Knights :getin:

Money isn't ever really an issue for the Ottomans, you are going to be way better off if you can grab the -10% AE than another merchant. Honestly you are probably better off with just the 50 adm than another merchant.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Lawman 0 posted:

In addition to what the others said, there's an option to allow the Sejm to install a noble republic, which you can collapse into despotism the normal way.

edit: or not, according to the wiki, I could have sworn that's what I did when I took Poland into space

double edit: Oligarchic republic, that's where I was confused.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 4, 2018

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I forget how this minutia of Trade Mechanics works - if I have Provincial Trade Power in a node, but do not have a merchant directing said Trade Power to be used for collecting or directing trade, what happens to it IF I have a subject using a merchant to direct trade? Does my power go towards theirs or anything?
I ask because I am trying to figure out if I should plan on drawing my Pretty Borders one way or another; if my vassal should own Shirvan or I should. Hisn Kayfa's capital is in the Aleppo node and is using a merchant to pull value from Persia, where Shirvan is; I'm then pulling the vast majority of trade from Aleppo to Constantinople. I will never have enough merchants to plug one into the Persia node to direct my power to moving the value upstream.

First, the game calculates total trade value (incoming + local production). Then it looks at total trade power (collecting + transferring) vs trade power transferring to figure out what fraction of that value stays or goes. Your trade power contributes to this ratio even if you have no merchant. That determines the total value that leaves. The rest is divided up between the people collecting.

Then it looks at the possible outgoing connections and looks at the ratio of merchants + power steering in each direction. It uses that ratio to divide the total outgoing and apportion it accordingly. Your trade power won’t contribute here if you have no merchant.

So your power would increase the amount leaving the node while your subject would increase amount and help steer it. If you’ve got any nodes in your trade network that have only one out connection, those are candidates for leaving without a merchant. But because of the various modifiers and bonuses, sometimes trial and error is best.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't disagree that mesoamerica isn't represented very well in EU4, but this stuff in your link is from centuries before the game's start date. The Mayan empire was long dead by 1444.

Well, it does suggest that they had a much higher population when they were an urbanized society than previously thought. Barring an entirely possible drop in population between the classic period and 1444, I don't think it's unlikely that they maintained a high population. Mayan agriculture was generally self-sufficient (but not subsistence) and not really given to the large-scale farming present in other societies, though some exceptions such as cacao tree orchards and long terrace farms were present. Basically what I'm saying is that even if they were no longer urbanized, their food output would likely still be able to support what it had during their urbanized periods.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, it does suggest that they had a much higher population when they were an urbanized society than previously thought. Barring an entirely possible drop in population between the classic period and 1444, I don't think it's unlikely that they maintained a high population. Mayan agriculture was generally self-sufficient (but not subsistence) and not really given to the large-scale farming present in other societies, though some exceptions such as cacao tree orchards and long terrace farms were present. Basically what I'm saying is that even if they were no longer urbanized, their food output would likely still be able to support what it had during their urbanized periods.

Also, general "so what else did pre-modern academics who assumed everybody in the Americas were stone-age primitives miss?" questions. After all, we only have this evidence at all because it was protected by the jungle, while other areas, like Tenochtitlan, were literally torn down and paved over by the Europeans specifically to erase the legacy of the people who had lived there before.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

doingitwrong posted:

First, the game calculates total trade value (incoming + local production). Then it looks at total trade power (collecting + transferring) vs trade power transferring to figure out what fraction of that value stays or goes. Your trade power contributes to this ratio even if you have no merchant. That determines the total value that leaves. The rest is divided up between the people collecting.

Then it looks at the possible outgoing connections and looks at the ratio of merchants + power steering in each direction. It uses that ratio to divide the total outgoing and apportion it accordingly. Your trade power won’t contribute here if you have no merchant.

So your power would increase the amount leaving the node while your subject would increase amount and help steer it. If you’ve got any nodes in your trade network that have only one out connection, those are candidates for leaving without a merchant. But because of the various modifiers and bonuses, sometimes trial and error is best.
Okay cool, thank you for the refresher. Persia only has one outlet so it seems I can go for Prettiest Borders.

Firebatgyro posted:

Money isn't ever really an issue for the Ottomans, you are going to be way better off if you can grab the -10% AE than another merchant. Honestly you are probably better off with just the 50 adm than another merchant.
Two reasons I was doing the Merchant instead of the Hanbali AE Impact - Money has been an occasional inconvenience for me and I have not had access to a nation with Hanbali for a while...I think they are all dead.
An ancillary reason for taking the merchant is that Constantinople is just barely the most valuable trade node in the world right now and I would like to keep it that way to get the bonus for spawning Global Trade. Printing just spawned a decade ago so I am planning now for ensuring I can spawn Global Trade.
Also I went full Janissary once I unlocked Disbanding Returns Manpower To The Pool for Professionalism, which means when I take losses in war it is doubly expensive. I have stayed at my forcelimits a vast majority of the game in order to grow my Professionalism faster, but that shits expensive, yo.
I have switched to the Maliki Development bonus when spawning instutions. It seems like it has worked out well so far.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I've been wanting to do a Shia or Ibadi Republic game for ages (without doing a custom nation) and it seems really hard for a lot of reasons;

1. Iqta, Tribal and Feudal Theocracies cannot form republics by decision, this removes virtually all states that actually start anywhere near any Shia / Ibadi provinces, and I believe that there's actually 0 Shia or Ibadi states that aren't one of these 3 options at the start of the game.

2. If you want to start as a republic and go find some Shia provinces to conquer to convert religion the closest you can get is either starting in Italy or that one republic in the Phillipines. The latter of which would work great if there was even a single Shia province to convert from anywhere closer than Iran, but nope. Their NIs are also garbage which is kind of a turn off.

3. Since they added that +2% conversion speed decision for muslims, Shia minorities tend to disappear faster than they did previously.

There's the Ibadi provinces in North Africa which could potentially let an Italian republic convert, but getting there in good enough time, and having enough of your provinces flipped to Ibadi to actually allow conversion, seems like it might be difficult.

I'm thinking that Florence is probably the best bet for a number of reasons but that would mean having to get enough naval power to invade North Africa which isn't a trivial problem. Unless you can somehow get Malta from Aragon first. And then you still need to conquer a decent chunk of North Africa and do fucky rebel poo poo. But I have also wanted to do a Muslim Italy playthrough for ages and this would be a fun way of getting 2 gimmicks with one stone.

There's some alternative starts which could work but would require a shift in both religion and government: Ajuraan, Ethiopia, and Georgia. But this seems like it wouldn't be quite as much fun and I'd like to start out as a republic if possible to avoid having to make lovely idea group selections in the early game.

Any thoughts or alternatives I missed?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I don't understand the mechanic very well and I'm not sure which DLC it is from (probably Cradle of Civilization?) but if you are a Muslim nation with enough trade power in a node, you can click the node and you get an option to propagate your religion, which will convert territories near the node to your faith. That could work well with your plan to convert a republic to Islam.

I would just go with a custom nation, honestly. The Indian ocean had (and still has) lots of small Muslim communities along coastal trading ports, and you have places like Zanzibar and The Maldives where there's a little island Sultanate, so it wouldn't be ahistorical to take another Indian ocean island and set up a pretend Islamic sultanate there. Alternatively, you could pick a mid-1300's startdate in CK2, find a Shiite or Ibadi tribal leader (or convert to one), set up a merchant republic, and then import to EU4. Then it is still 'historical', and it's close enough to the EU4 startdate that your world shouldn't look super weird.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't really like playing custom nations because I find it hard to intentionally handicap myself so I end up giving myself all the awesome NIs. Though TBH making a Shia OPM republic start in India or SEA does sound like fun and it would probably take a while to really get going.

I do wish that there was a way to load existing nations into the custom nation thingy just so you can see how many points they're worth.

E: Another option I didn't mention in my first list is Dulkadir, who start out with 2 Shia provinces and are one of the tiny number of Muslim states which isn't a "special" monarchy of some type. But if you're going to play as them you might as well go for forming Rum, which gives you godlike monarchs all the time anyway.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 4, 2018

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Hey I can finally see Europe, lets look at what I need to kill to get the Rajput Reich achievement........

Well, gently caress

The PU is Russia btw

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Firebatgyro posted:

Hey I can finally see Europe, lets look at what I need to kill to get the Rajput Reich achievement........

Well, gently caress

The PU is Russia btw
:randstare:

Can you....butter Russia up and help them earn their independence?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least it doesn't involve France too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all i see is a nice easy venice to make landfall upon. and also an austria that inherited hungary and bohemia. but at least you have the venice to work with

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

declare on naples or wurzburg, or support russian independence?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Dear Paradox, please add Nubia as a formable nation for Nubian Copts! I need this because my brain is broken.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
So is the reformation horrible now or is it just messed up for me? In the 3 games I've gotten to it so far, one didn't get any centers of reformation at all, the second had protestants pop up in Italy alone (I quit that one in disgust before reformed popped), and the third had the reformed faith show up with no centers. Not once have I seen an AI nation convert themselves, like what England, Bohemia or Denmark used to do.

Also damned are the Ottomans beastly. They've lost 250k troops in this war and their exhaustion never went above 1, thanks to going innovation I suppose

Michael Bayleaf fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 6, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Protestants all popping up in Italy is, I THINK, just had luck, but yeah reformed isn't actually spawning any centers of reformation right now, I think, and states not actively getting converted by the centers of reformation are less likely to convert themselves than they used to be. Which tends to stick all three centers of reformation in basically the same place.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

reignonyourparade posted:

Protestants all popping up in Italy is, I THINK, just had luck, but yeah reformed isn't actually spawning any centers of reformation right now, I think, and states not actively getting converted by the centers of reformation are less likely to convert themselves than they used to be. Which tends to stick all three centers of reformation in basically the same place.

Thanks for the info. Holland ended up going reformed after an event converted a province so maybe it wont be so bad this time

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Any hints as Ethiopia? I took defensive/exploration, defender of the faith and have achieved regional superiority aside from with the Mamluks, who have basically double my force limit and much larger (i.e. any) allies.

I have Alodia in a lesser Union and have been feeding it the wrong culture to my north, while Makuria is an ally that I feel is increasingly useless but I worry the moment I let them go the Mamluks will eat them.

Yemen and the rest are on the verge of a coalition but aside from the Mamluks absorbing their vassals there's no bigger players than me there. I'm on par/exceed everyone in miltech, lag in admin and dip

Should I just keep going south to get the gold mines and try and grab the Cape before the Europeans get there solidly or should I head as quick as I can to the spice islands? Should I keep my trade capital in the Ethopia node or move it as soon as I have decent power elsewhere I can feed into?

Any particular hints? I picked discipline and missionary strength as my two Coptic powers, was that a mistake? Can I switch them out?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ethiopia usually involves focusing elsewhere until the ottomans make a play for the Levant, at which point you tear into the weakened mamluks.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Oh man I am finishing up my first real Austria run and hoo boy are royal marriages OP.

PUed Bohemia and Hungary at the start for Double the Love achievement, then got a Grand Duchy when I integrated them.
By 1550 I had a Habsburg on the thrones of Poland, Lithuania and Spain and I revoked privilegia just before forcing them all into PUs and getting The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Fought Ottomans once with my swarm of angry bees for shits and giggles, but my other vassals were at full liberty desire, so I formed HRE.

Next up I guess is integrating my European powerhouses and removing Albion and the French from the face of the earth.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Any hints as Ethiopia? I took defensive/exploration, defender of the faith and have achieved regional superiority aside from with the Mamluks, who have basically double my force limit and much larger (i.e. any) allies.

I have Alodia in a lesser Union and have been feeding it the wrong culture to my north, while Makuria is an ally that I feel is increasingly useless but I worry the moment I let them go the Mamluks will eat them.

Yemen and the rest are on the verge of a coalition but aside from the Mamluks absorbing their vassals there's no bigger players than me there. I'm on par/exceed everyone in miltech, lag in admin and dip

Should I just keep going south to get the gold mines and try and grab the Cape before the Europeans get there solidly or should I head as quick as I can to the spice islands? Should I keep my trade capital in the Ethopia node or move it as soon as I have decent power elsewhere I can feed into?

Any particular hints? I picked discipline and missionary strength as my two Coptic powers, was that a mistake? Can I switch them out?

Don’t take on the mamluks until they and the ottomans have tired each other out. Until that happens, go south and take the cape as quickly as you can. The Europeans can’t make their way to Indonesia without the cape until the 1600s, which will give you time to make your way there yourself. I’ve found the biggest obstacle as Ethiopia is manpower since African provinces give very little of it, so lean on mercs for all you can afford.

You can’t switch the Coptic bonuses out, but discipline and missionary strength is fine, though core creation should be next to help with taking the high dev Levant. Trade capital should be Zanzibar whenever you can start funneling money into it, if you get all of Asia into it you’ll have won the game at that point.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Personally I went south until ottomans and mamluks went into their first slugfest, then jumped in to take as big a chunk of mamluks as I could. From then on I prepared and tried to jump mamluks just before the ottomans did, and did everything possible to stop ottomans from gaining land (by taking it all myself).

So: first, conquer as far south as possible as quickly as possible, but be ready for the first ottoman-mamluk war, then jump on mamluk.

It might be possible to ally spain or austria but chances are you'll need to fight ottomans on your own. Don't wait too long as they only get stronger and stronger.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My first jump on the ottomans was when they joined the thirty years war. But I haven’t seen that trigger this patch yet, since Protestant/reformed seems to be a bit bugged.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
What a twist! Rule Britannia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMSub3DoD2M

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

having never played england in all my hours it'll be nice to get like 10 achievements in one go

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFHCxO6xNM

First look video for Rule Britannia. Other than a big list of tags getting new national ideas, I think the only thing in the video they haven't talked about already in dev diaries is Innovativeness. Whenever you're the first to research a new tech or unlock a new idea, you get Innovativeness points, which give a bonus to all power costs and army/navy tradition decay. If you start falling behind you lose Innovativeness.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

First look video for Rule Britannia. Other than a big list of tags getting new national ideas, I think the only thing in the video they haven't talked about already in dev diaries is Innovativeness. Whenever you're the first to research a new tech or unlock a new idea, you get Innovativeness points, which give a bonus to all power costs and army/navy tradition decay. If you start falling behind you lose Innovativeness.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-6th-of-february-2018.1068364/

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“Innovativeness”? Seriously

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

“Innovativeness”? Seriously
Features for everyone in this English specific Immersion pack!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i can't read the window on my tiny screen phone but jake definitely says permanent claims as rewards for missions right. like 25% reduction in core creation permanent claims

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It could have easily been a national idea instead, like -5% to all mana costs if you are ahead of time in Admin, Diplo and Military tech. I wonder if it started out that way before being developed into its own mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I mean I guess there’s nothing wrong with the mechanic, it’s just terrible name