Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Tether is that guy with the imaginary girlfriend who lives in Canada and no you can't meet her, but instead it's a bank account from Taiwan with $2.3 billion USD in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Direct transfer to coinbase from nicehash is now 0.004 :|

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prescription Combs posted:

Direct transfer to coinbase from nicehash is now 0.004 :|

lol it just keeps inching up

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Facebook Aunt posted:

lol it just keeps inching up

Bitcoin keeps going down so

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

1gnoirents posted:

Is tether the thing where people took out 30k loans and lost everything

that was bitconnect, which seems like a pretty regular scam. tether is a lot larger and more elaborate, per the paradise papers it seems like an overseas bank that the exchange bitfinex used after they lost their own banking accreditation.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
1080ti is making less than $4 a day now, you should be able to get decent prices on GPUs if it stays like this.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Mine has been around $5.50 a day.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

tehinternet posted:

1080ti is making less than $4 a day now, you should be able to get decent prices on GPUs if it stays like this.

Then Volta and Navi gpus start shipping and that average payout drops like a cannonball.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Don Lapre posted:

Tether is supposed to be a crypto traded in place of USD on an exchange. The claim is it will always be worth $1 for 1 tether. They accomplish this by (according to them) keeping a reserve of $1 for every 1 tether "printed" and they keep the value by buying tether when it drops below $1 and selling when it goes above $1

also tether is what they created after their exchange got hacked and robbed of 120k bitcoins worth $72 million

literally "hey guys we lost all your money but here are some magic beans in replacement, each bean is guaranteed to be worth $1, trust us." followed by "holy poo poo guys they bought it, quick sell them more beans!"

owning any amount of tether, or really having any quantity of money or shitcoin assets on the bitfinex exchange at all, is risking yourself as a bag-holder

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm not a financial genius but I've been trying to wrap my head around it and I just don't loving understand why you'd want crypto that was tied 1:1 to the dollar. Like what in the gently caress use does it have ever

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Money laundering

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

I'm not a financial genius but I've been trying to wrap my head around it and I just don't loving understand why you'd want crypto that was tied 1:1 to the dollar. Like what in the gently caress use does it have ever

it lets you trade on exchanges that are so shady that banks refuse to deal with them the (((global banking elite))) have blacklisted because they fear cryptocurrency's power!!!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Syrinxx posted:

It is supposed to be all the perks of US dollars without US government oversight. Exchanges using an all-token economy believe they don't need to follow know your customer regulations and whatnot.

One weird trick to keep the men with guns at bay.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Nicehash --> Coinbase down to 0.003. They just can't make up their minds.

Also almost below 8k/btc. :lol:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Davor down to $1.52 a coin

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a new payment system being developed called Lightning that is supposed to resolve the bitcoin payment scaling issues. It's a pretty overview of how it works and what are the possible pros and cons.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/bitcoins-lightning-network-a-deep-dive/

Maybe it will help get enough confidence back so I can mine at $5/day again at least until the card is paid off :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

There's a new payment system being developed called Lightning that is supposed to resolve the bitcoin payment scaling issues. It's a pretty overview of how it works and what are the possible pros and cons.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/bitcoins-lightning-network-a-deep-dive/

Maybe it will help get enough confidence back so I can mine at $5/day again at least until the card is paid off :v:

My theory behind the most recent crash is that people realized all of the lightning network implementations under-deliver on the promises made by developers. A lot of the benefits are being over-touted and a lot of the flaws are getting glossed over

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ohh we hit $8000

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Syrinxx posted:

It's use is avoiding banks. Literally that's it.

They also try to market their website as being a cool crypto-alternative to Paypal, with the tiny caveat of not allowing you to withdraw your Tether for real money.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

QuarkJets posted:

My theory behind the most recent crash is that people realized all of the lightning network implementations under-deliver on the promises made by developers. A lot of the benefits are being over-touted and a lot of the flaws are getting glossed over

like just about everything bitcoin, it's a great sounding idea on the surface that falls apart under the most casual scrutiny. bitcoin is just not ready as a network to deliver on anything it's being asked to do right now, and that isn't going to change in the next year.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mobby_6kl posted:

There's a new payment system being developed called Lightning that is supposed to resolve the bitcoin payment scaling issues.
I thought the whole Lightning thing was supposed to be mostly BS too? Someone did a post about on here a while back IIRC. Reading the article it makes it sound workable but I don't really know anything about it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when am i supposed to get my 10% balance payout for nicehash?
it says reimburse pending, but we all know the network is no longer clogged up and it should have gone through by now

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxtool posted:

when am i supposed to get my 10% balance payout for nicehash?
it says reimburse pending, but we all know the network is no longer clogged up and it should have gone through by now

Soon™

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I thought the whole Lightning thing was supposed to be mostly BS too? Someone did a post about on here a while back IIRC. Reading the article it makes it sound workable but I don't really know anything about it.

The payment routing system it proposes completely falls apart when the complexity goes past two people who know each other but usually shop at two different businesses.

It basically plays Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon for all payments. If I want to send payment to someone I don't directly have a funded lightning connection with the network will look at the connections of the people I do have a connection with, and if they don't have a connection to that person it looks at the connections of people they have connections with, etc etc. That has its own problems (what if the shortest connection isn't the cheapest?) but the real fundamental problem is that each lightning connection is prefunded and when the network finds a route it shifts the funds of everyone along that route.

So if a random person's payment happens to go through a lightning connection between you and your friend you could suddenly find yourself with no funds to send to your friend to pay for lunch because they already have all of them. Sure you haven't "lost" money because the same thing happened in your favor in another lightning connection but moving that over to the connection with your friend requires four bitcoin transactions - closing the two connections then reopening them with proper funding levels. That could put you out $100 or so.

As a result people are going to charge out the rear end for permission to use their connections for larger transactions. Bitcoiners will say that's fine and people should use the main blockchain for large transactions but if that's the case you end up with a chicken and the egg situation - to reliably send funds to anyone you need the average funding level of connections to be high so that a random bunch of small transactions going in one direction don't eat up all of a connection's funds, but if you can't use the connections to send large amounts why would anyone prefund them with large amounts of bitcoin?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
They've also handwaved away that they will solve the traveling salesman problem efficiently. That is a really classic example of a simple problem that is so hard we cannot solve it despite working on it for a century+. But bitcoiners will don't worry.

Lightning is Novel but I don't expect it will actually amount to anything in practice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They don't need to solve the TSP though, just the shortest/cheapest path, which can be done pretty trivially with A* or something. Unless I'm misunderstanding the principle, as I didn't study in too much detail.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

They don't need to solve the TSP though, just the shortest/cheapest path, which can be done pretty trivially with A* or something. Unless I'm misunderstanding the principle, as I didn't study in too much detail.

I thought the problem was if they want to update a wallet change they now need to propagate that change across the entire network since they don't know how to otherwise make sure the right nodes don't have the ability to double spend (or maybe the reverse, lockout funds, I don't remember). It's not quite Traveling Salesman, but the last time I saw the question "Isn't this an NP Hard problem? How are you solving it?" the answer was essentially "We're smart enough to see the true potential of the blockchain, we're smart enough to solve that."

I didn't really study it either, but it seemed like a big, fundamental thing to handwaive.

Edit: Yeup, their Prototypes are still hub-and-spoke with no solution so far for path finding. This means it's either going to require to be run through only specific vendors (DECENTRALIZED!) or it'll scale worse than the existing blockchain. The 2nd option means flooding the network with transaction meaning it'll ALSO be somehow less private.
https://twitter.com/lopp/status/932...ralizing_hub%2F

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 5, 2018

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Sold my cards. Got out of the game with $2000 profit after 3 months.

Profitability is too low now along with the fact I could sell my used cards for a decent profit. It was a good time to get out.

$9 profit a day for 3 1070s and 1 1080ti is laughable.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://giant.gfycat.com/FondEquatorialGrosbeak.mp4

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Has it touched six thousand yet?

Also yesterday I had some butter arguing at me that monero is good because it enables deathly oppressed minorities in the far east to organize somehow and that if I'm anti-cryptocurrency I'm racist???

These people are utterly daft.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

Has it touched six thousand yet?

Also yesterday I had some butter arguing at me that monero is good because it enables deathly oppressed minorities in the far east to organize somehow and that if I'm anti-cryptocurrency I'm racist???

These people are utterly daft.

There's a floor at 7000 so far (it's hit exactly 7000 so somebody must have buy orders there)

according to one of the various irc bots .bit function

quote:

Bitcoin // Current: $7,067.23 - High: $8,546.22 - Low: $7,000.00 - Volume: 34,495.96 BTC

A minute later

quote:

Bitcoin // Current: $7,024.83 - High: $8,519.19 - Low: $7,000.00 - Volume: 34,520.64 BTC

Two minutes later

quote:

Bitcoin // Current: $6,991.32 - High: $8,518.64 - Low: $6,991.29 - Volume: 34,597.74 BTC

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 5, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Right now its bouncing around 7,000 and 7020

edit: literally 6999 now

And here comes the river

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Lockback posted:

They've also handwaved away that they will solve the traveling salesman problem efficiently. That is a really classic example of a simple problem that is so hard we cannot solve it despite working on it for a century+. But bitcoiners will don't worry.

Lightning is Novel but I don't expect it will actually amount to anything in practice.

Byzantine General's problem not enough. Must add traveling salesmen to it, that'll fix it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

:lol:

I sold out after my last :20bux: trade on Saturday was wondering if that was a mistake. Not so much now

Though with my recently financed 1080ti Dell, I'd prefer this crash to stop lol.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh please crash, card prices. Give me cheap 1060s, 1070s, or drive the prices down farther on 980tis.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

1gnoirents posted:

:lol:

I sold out after my last :20bux: trade on Saturday was wondering if that was a mistake. Not so much now

Though with my recently financed 1080ti Dell, I'd prefer this crash to stop lol.

I still have like :20bux: as well in nicehash because they keep screwing around with transfer options so I never got to cash out fully.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

mobby_6kl posted:

I still have like :20bux: as well in nicehash because they keep screwing around with transfer options so I never got to cash out fully.

That $20 is more like $6 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tehinternet posted:

That $20 is more like $6 now.
Nah it's $20 now, it was over $30 before :v: tbh I'm not sure I'm even going to bother at this point as I don't feel like uploading my id to coinbase (unless I can use a fake one..). Oh well, I knew there was a risk of all of this crashing down when I bought my 1070, but thankfully it was at a normal price at least.

• Locked thread