Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

paranoid randroid posted:

then the scandalized priests of the count took matters into their own hands to deal with her

I'm not certain of that. Yabalchoath seemed fully capable of dooming herself, herself.

That said, I don't doubt they were ready to retrieve the key after it was taken from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh. I guess Jagganoth is just really lazy.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
What makes you think compassion has to do anything with it?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

White Coke posted:

The first time I read this I thought you were saying that their bones kept growing even after they died.

who's to say they dont

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Mammon knows six people who could kill him if he really wanted to die. He's supposedly the weakest of the 7, and even if 5 of them would object to killing him for disrupting the balance of power/being frozen in a block of ice, Jagganoth probably doesn't have any objections. I think Yabalchoath was the first to not try to kill him, but just content herself with stealing a fragment of his power. And once he faced the reality of his power being diminished, the real Mammon came out, dropped the self-pity, and got his power back as forcefully as he first acquired it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

This honestly makes Yab so much worse.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Monglo posted:

What makes you think compassion has to do anything with it?

I tend to agree. If anything, it looks as if Mammon's power has been transferred to the edifice of his counting-cult, and the only way to attain the power of Mammon is to maintain the fiction of Mammon's power, which has now become the full time job of the Bank of the Grand Dragon.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
tragedy deg

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Belligerent Knights worship Jagganoth because they can't kill him. The Priests of The Count worship Mammon because they can't kill him. Seems like the best way to get followers is to let them tire themselves out trying to kill you.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Literally just some one out there with the KNOWLEDGE that Mammon is a senile old dog is inherently dangerous, the priests of the count could have taken her out ENTIRELY on that basis.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I tend to agree. If anything, it looks as if Mammon's power has been transferred to the edifice of his counting-cult, and the only way to attain the power of Mammon is to maintain the fiction of Mammon's power, which has now become the full time job of the Bank of the Grand Dragon.

Fiat currency royalty

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

reignonyourparade posted:

Literally just some one out there with the KNOWLEDGE that Mammon is a senile old dog is inherently dangerous, the priests of the count could have taken her out ENTIRELY on that basis.

The other demiurges probably have a pretty good idea of what's up with Mammon given that 00001 has been going to their meetings in Mammon's place for who knows how long.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hiveminded posted:

The other demiurges probably have a pretty good idea of what's up with Mammon given that 00001 has been going to their meetings in Mammon's place for who knows how long.

Mottom expressed frustration at Mammon not being at the concordance, actually, which leads me to believe that, however long ago the last one was (I imagine they don't meet often), Mammon was at it, since Jagganoth was the only one she didn't expect to show up.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Mottom expressed frustration at Mammon not being at the concordance, actually, which leads me to believe that, however long ago the last one was (I imagine they don't meet often), Mammon was at it, since Jagganoth was the only one she didn't expect to show up.

That's to be expected with Mottom, though, isn't it? She's terrified of Jagganoth and is frustrated that Mammon is increasingly becoming a weak link in the coalition against Jaggs. Even if she and the others don't know the specifics of what's happening with Mammon, it seems pretty clear that he's been decaying for a long while now. Long enough for an entire civilisation to pop up in his vault composed of all his would-be slayers-turned-caretakers, and thus ancient enough that it must've been a very, very long time since last he would've been willing and able to attend a concordance.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

White Coke posted:

The Belligerent Knights worship Jagganoth because they can't kill him. The Priests of The Count worship Mammon because they can't kill him. Seems like the best way to get followers is to let them tire themselves out trying to kill you.

Isn't this basically the original path to royalty irl? gently caress that divine right of kings nonsense, that's the bullshit junior peddles to the plebians to get them to just give him daddy's big chair. Your first king earns his crown by being an unkillable badass who murders the gently caress out of his enemies (and possibly everyone else) until people start preemptively giving him all their stuff in hopes he won't kill them if they're not worth killing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
all the other demigods are glad mammon never shows up, because he's so fuckin' dramatic about everything

"oh you guys don't like my idea?"
*throws self to ground*
"just end the DARN CHARADE already and kill me"
*vaguely aims face towards where the rest of them could be*
"why don't you just stab my old rheumy glaucous eyes out over it!?!??!"
*grovels on the ground towards the rest*
"why not just bust up my stiff crippled arthritis joints and shriveled mandibles and gouty spleen?!?"

and everyone else's all "zoss' sake No Mammon! it's a good idea! We just need to talk over everyone's ideas too! It's a council remember buddy!"

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Extremely familiar. Though Allison could probably head off an atmospheric battle of fire and ice if she can blurt out "could you give me back my boyfriend" while Mammon still remembers his offer.

Precambrian posted:

Mammon knows six people who could kill him if he really wanted to die. He's supposedly the weakest of the 7, and even if 5 of them would object to killing him for disrupting the balance of power/being frozen in a block of ice, Jagganoth probably doesn't have any objections. I think Yabalchoath was the first to not try to kill him, but just content herself with stealing a fragment of his power. And once he faced the reality of his power being diminished, the real Mammon came out, dropped the self-pity, and got his power back as forcefully as he first acquired it.

Mammon doesn't have the wherewithal to actually arrange his death. Yab wasn't taken out by him turning up sickle in mouth and wrecking her poo poo, it was specifically the priesthood paying off her people ahead of the angels going in full force.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
The head of the count is the real boss isn't she?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
At this point I'm pretty sure he gave Cio his Key fragment because she asked him nicely.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
This puts Mammon's front door into a whole new perspective, doesn't it? I have to wonder if Yre isn't a vault at all, but a way to find a replacement. The vault itself filters out anyone not strong enough to take Mammon on physically, but the door ensures that anyone who makes it to Mammon himself is enough of a bastard that they won't take pity on him. Thoughts?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Izzy posted:

This puts Mammon's front door into a whole new perspective, doesn't it? I have to wonder if Yre isn't a vault at all, but a way to find a replacement. The vault itself filters out anyone not strong enough to take Mammon on physically, but the door ensures that anyone who makes it to Mammon himself is enough of a bastard that they won't take pity on him. Thoughts?
I think a more likely explanation is that it was all set up when Mammon was still a jackass.

Poor, poor Grandpa Dragon :(. He needs a hug.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Infiltrating the most secure vault in the multi-verse to kill a dragon, failing, then deciding to stick around and worship the dragon, and THEN meeting someone else who did the same thing who you want to marry has to be one of the more out there ways for two people to end up having kids.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
you don't know the kids were born in the vault, they could have got there the same way as the adults, babies are pretty capable in this universe

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

true leftist posted:

you don't know the kids were born in the vault, they could have got there the same way as the adults, babies are pretty capable in this universe

"The high caste are born and die in the vault, they shall never feel the sun upon their face. They often wail and torment their own flesh in sorrow for the Dragon. They are holy creatures indeed" (alt text)

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
oh lol

i need to get into the habit of checking the alt text

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Diogines posted:

I think a more likely explanation is that it was all set up when Mammon was still a jackass.

Poor, poor Grandpa Dragon :(. He needs a hug.

I feel pretty certain he's still a jackass and trying to play someone who can possibly actually kill him, although he probably really has gotten weaker with age. The story under the previous comic said that the better way was to lower your defenses and bring them back up when needed: "You are both prisoner and warden. This is the hardest way, but the strongest."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

voting third party posted:

I feel pretty certain he's still a jackass and trying to play someone who can possibly actually kill him, although he probably really has gotten weaker with age. The story under the previous comic said that the better way was to lower your defenses and bring them back up when needed: "You are both prisoner and warden. This is the hardest way, but the strongest."
I think he's genuinely sad he killed his family. Doesn't mean he's sad he conquered a chunk of reality.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

That's specifically about a dude who has his poo poo together and is okay, while the demiurges are characterized as dudes who do not, in fact, have their poo poo together.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I can't recall ever reading the bit about pitying the dragon, does anyone remember when that was?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Diogines posted:

I can't recall ever reading the bit about pitying the dragon, does anyone remember when that was?

“IA! IA! The Dragon!

His scales as as hard as his heart.

Pity him!”

– Lament of the Priests of the Count

“IA! IA!

Sharpen your chain-blades!

Pity the Dragon and Venerate the Count!”

– War Cry of the Priests of the Count

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

This is the part of that story that pertains to Mammon:

quote:

“The man who builds his tower but cannot take it apart again – that man is at the pinnacle of his strength. But that man will surely perish.”

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

thechosenone posted:

The head of the count is the real boss isn't she?
Yuuup. And she's about to either kill Allison, or dump a ton of exposition on her.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

This is the part of that story that pertains to Mammon:

Except for the part about surely perishing, you mean.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Mammon has pretty well perished, he just hasn't stopped moving.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Mottom is on her way though?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Mottom? More like Bottom.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Tenebrais posted:

Mammon has pretty well perished, he just hasn't stopped moving.

Exactly. Mammon clearly could not take his tower apart again.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

the idea of the demiurges as basically a sewing circle of olds is e. my poo poo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You know that I am called Mammon
Because I'm a really old dragon
Sometimes I sit and count all day
Sometimes I get carried away

I count slowly, slowly, slowly getting faster
If you stop my counting, be sure I will complain
Faster, faster, it's all I live for
I could count forever, count until I'm slain

I count the old coins in the vault
I count one more failed assault
I count the bones of my brothers
Not sure their memory still lingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is there a written narrative that goes into detail on K6BD anywhere out there?

I’ve been following the comic for a couple years now, but only as a casual reader. Occasionally I’ll lurk in here to get more informed perspectives on what’s going on, and every time I see posts that are referencing lore that I had no idea about, a lot of which seems quite important. There’s the wiki, but like all wikis it’s an endless safari of disconnected data, and I learn much better through essays / articles. Has anyone gone to the trouble of writing a kind of “this is what’s going on in Kill Six Billion Demons” walkthrough, even one that's a bit dated?